🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 123.5 - MINISODE 123.5

I would be happy to recommend any of my favorite ongoing series for Image, Marvel, DC, etc. I work in a comic book store so I better fucking know what I am talking about, otherwise I don't know anything about anything except how to post on podcast message boards (and I don't even do that as well as I would like).

aL84swt.gif

Give us your top five, Quasar. Let's say from 2000 to present

2r7vsd3.png

Anyone notice mantzoukas' cameo?

Also loved wendell pierce's acting really prepared him to be bunk in the wire.

• Like 7

aL84swt.gif

Give us your top five, Quasar. Let's say from 2000 to present

You dirty, dirty sonofabitch. I have been thinking about this question for hours and my brain is RATTLED! I love talkin' comics though, so you are great for making me think about such things.

In the order I feel like typing it...

1. Anything Brubaker, from his Captain America run (CLASSIC!) to Criminal, The Fade-Out, Fatale, and Velvet. It's all dark, dismal, beautiful, and compelling. He works with artists who take things like bleak offices or 1970s Soviet Bloc architecture and turns those environs into magnificent settings. Fatale brings Lovecraftian tropes into a Noir story (or is it Noir tropes into a Lovecraft story?) and it's both terrifying and alluring. Love forever.

2. Brian Michael Bendis' run on X-Men, both Uncanny and All-New. I have been an X-fan since I was young enough to think of Jubilee's fashion choices as sensible. I have also always been a lifelong lover of Cyclops, and the story at the core of Bendis' narrative is Beast bringing the original team to the present, so the horror Teen Scott Summers witnesses in the years he missed is so heartbreaking for me. Summers and Jean Grey, seeing the sadness of their relationship, the various death and tragedies, the Pheonix Saga, Scott encountering his dad whom he thought long dead; it brings back the Teen Feels to my desiccated heart. Plus that moment when Scott needs emotional support when Jean is kidnapped and X-23 (the female clone of Wolverine) gives him a hug? Oh man, I about cried. And then the struggle for Mutant Freedom with Adult Cyclops ready to burn the world down... amazing.

3. Pretty Deadly by Kelly-Sue Deconnick and Emma Rios. A fantastical western bonkers lunatic quest from the realm of the dead to the driest deserts ever conceived. It's a cosmology as complicated as the Wachowski's engineered in Jupiter Ascending, only rendered with unbridled and poetic beauty. It has all the Apocalyptic feel of The Good the Bad and the Ugly, but with the mythological implications of The Lord of the Rings. It takes RISKS and it succeeds... unlike Jupiter Ascending.

4. Aquaman by Geoff Johns (New 52). Snyder's Swamp Thing and Lemire's Animal man were among my favorite New 52 stuff, but Johns' Aquaman was gorgeous and fun and everything I could ask for in a DC superhero book. Undersea cities and golden-spear-wielding villains and Aquaman being an all-around Handsome Dude. Plus, his wife and Queen Mera is so fucking badass, it's a treat to see a married couple work and love each other and be happy being married. Unlike other Justice League members, Aquaman actually has the ability to form long-term relationships. His superpower isn't "talking to fish," it's being able to talk to people. Think Batman or Superman could function as a husband? Fuck no.

5. Since I already jocked Daredevil, which deserves a spot on any countdown of awesome things, I'll go with Locke and Key by Joe Hill. It's a fantastic piece of horror, family drama, ghost story, historical fiction, and an example of how effective a good setting can be. It has all the epic scope of the most massive tomes of Stephen King, but because of the form and the wonderfully expressive art of Gabriel Rodriguez, it tells that scope with gorgeous efficiency. It's like in his most Kingsian story, Stephen King's son displays all of his father's strengths and none of his weaknesses. What other series combines the Revolutionary War and the Gates of Hell?

Then there are all the various things by Jason Aaron (from Scalped to Star Wars), Matt Fraction's Hawkeye, Jeff Lemire's sundry amazing work, and HOLY FUCK Darwyn Cooke's New Frontier. I mean, if you haven't read THAT.... it's such a stunning work of art. A must-read for anyone who likes comics. Why didn't I include it in my top 5? I dunno. Maybe like Daredevil, it transcends ranking?

DC-The-New-Frontier.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah the New Frontier is amazing as is Cooke's adaptation of the Parker crime novels. I believe he has the fifth one coming out soon.

• Like 1

I've only read two of his Parker adaptations, but I LOVED them. I need to read more.

His Catwoman is also great (it's a noir-style collaboration with Ed Brubaker, so of course it is my jam).

Catwoman_Trail_of_the_Catwoman.jpg

• Like 2

2r7vsd3.png

Actually, while we're on the subject.....that was 100% Randall Park in the AA meeting scene, right????

• Like 1

This episode is going to suck because there is NOTHING wrong with this movie. It is FLAWLESS and a cyberpunk classic. How dare you sirs and ma'am!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SM-Su6gcIQ

The director Iain Softley is a member of the organisation I work for, and that interview was done in the morning in a room just across from my desk, so I listened to it live, so to speak.

He's actually around quite a lot, so I should point him to @HDTGM or this thread. Maybe I should wait until the episode is out. I have a feeling they will be largely positive, though.

Actually, while we're on the subject.....that was 100% Randall Park in the AA meeting scene, right????

List of Asians that extra could have been:

- Randall Park

- Russell Wong

- Chow Yun Fat

- BD Wong

- Mickey Rooney

*Note: Fisher Stevens was already cast in this movie and was not available to portray an Asian.

List of Asians that extra could have been:

- Randall Park

- Russell Wong

- Chow Yun Fat

- BD Wong

- Mickey Rooney

*Note: Fisher Stevens was already cast in this movie and was not available to portray an Asian.

-Short Round

-Long Duck Dong

-Ernie Reyes Jr.

-Data

I think a couple of those might be the same person, but (and this may sound terrible) most 80's movie Asian stereotypes look the same to me anyway.

• Like 1

-Short Round

-Long Duck Dong

-Ernie Reyes Jr.

-Data

I think a couple of those might be the same person, but (and this may sound terrible) most 80's movie Asian stereotypes look the same to me anyway.

For years I could not tell the difference between Josh Lucas and Bradley Cooper. Luckily for me Josh Lucas' career died.

• Like 1

For years I could not tell the difference between Josh Lucas and Bradley Cooper. Luckily for me Josh Lucas' career died.

I remember watching "Wedding Crashers" when it first came out and thinking "Oh, wait, no, this is some OTHER guy...". I may have recognized Cooper from "Wet Hot American Summer", but I didn't really know who he was.

• Like 1

I remember watching "Wedding Crashers" when it first came out and thinking "Oh, wait, no, this is some OTHER guy...". I may have recognized Cooper from "Wet Hot American Summer", but I didn't really know who he was.

Thats not as bad as watching hangover and thinking is that the guy from poseidon?

Thats not as bad as watching hangover and thinking is that the guy from poseidon?

Or watching "The Hangover 3" and thinking "I swear these were the same guys from 'The Hangover'...".

• Like 2

Fisher Stevens originally he wanted to play the part of "Agent Dick Gill" Yep that's his name in this movie.

2r7vsd3.png

at one point I did have that screen capture but couldn't think of anything to do with it.

Mind you I think Jason Mantzoukas would of played a crazy greek hacker.

• Like 1

we all know who Jason Mantzoukas would of played, and he would of worked that tooth brush I tell ya.

28884yr.jpg

• Like 3

Fisher Stevens originally he wanted to play the part of "Agent Dick Gill" Yep that's his name in the movie.

at one point I did have that screen capture but couldn't think of anything to do with it.

Mind you I think Jason Mantzoukas would of played a crazy greek hacker.

Greek hacker, Puerto Rican hacker, Arab hacker. The Zouks can do it all !!

Without context this could be hackers or the wire

ka2rki.png

• Like 1

I agree, it's just missing this.

35k72mg.jpg

btw "fanny pack" I own this movie on dvd and I love it. but it is just a podcast, so. now you know how I feel when they did conair and Zardoz, I am sure this is going to turn into a thank god this got made show.

fixed it but you tell me, it's better with the wink.

dropped the file size down to 1mb for mobile users.

Yes this is AWESOME!

Killer refresh rate.

The director Iain Softley is a member of the organisation I work for, and that interview was done in the morning in a room just across from my desk, so I listened to it live, so to speak.

He's actually around quite a lot, so I should point him to @HDTGM or this thread. Maybe I should wait until the episode is out. I have a feeling they will be largely positive, though.

oh wow, I am actually a big fan of his, I really liked Skeleton Key.

See, I thought they did an excellent job making him likable (at least initially). He's a manipulative asshole, but he's super charming. It fits into the whole abuse motif they use throughout the season. Many abusers (whether physical, psychological, or sexual - of which Kilgrave is at least two) are able to get by as abusers because they're generally likable people. The turning point for me was when

he basically told Jessica that she owed him sex because she ate at fancy restaurants and stayed in nice hotels with him. (not a major spoiler, but I'd rather err on the side of caution)

Like most of the things with this show, though, there's an amazing level of complexity to Kilgrave's character. I was honestly worried about whether or not Tennant could pull off this character, and he's definitely been my favorite part, although Ritter, Rachael Taylor (Trish), and Mike Colter (Luke Cage) have all given amazing performances, too.

I didn't get to finish it last night (only made it through one episode before I fell asleep), but

I'm kind of bummed that they are setting up Simpson to be the villain in season two as their version of Nuke. He's such a boring character, especially compared to Kilgrave. The only thing I've liked about the fact he exists is that he takes red pills to go into his rage. I know that's straight from the comic, but it still fits nicely as a possibly unintentional reference to a certain MRA group, particularly in a show that portrays a more complex feminism than we're used to seeing in the genre.

The holiday made me miss a ton of this but I wanted to come back to say that I completely agree with you, which is why he makes my skin crawl so much. He can say something like he did in your first spoiler there and act completely like the victim in a scenario with a smile on his face and it makes me sick to my stomach. He did an excellent job!

As for your second spoiler I also agree hardcore. I didn't even realize what his name was until the 8th episode and I still didn't care. He was by far the worst character in the show.

• Like 2

I guess I'm the only person in the world who couldn't get into the Fables comic. The initial Rose murder mystery wasn't that compelling, and from then on it felt like every year they had a new head writer come in and take a dump on what the previous head writer had built by wiping the slate clean with the most anti-climatic resolution.

Rambling spoilers

Tension between B.B. and Snow White? MAGICAL ROOFIES! Now you have no memory and are pregnant with 6 kids, blessed with a shotgun wedding!

The evil ruthless adversary? The reveal was a bit unexpected, but it was still a letdown that the empire was just this big imperial bureaucratic mess and the final showdown after all that buildup was just "lots of guns, and a cloak that can literally do anything". The special issue they released later covering the origin of them being driven from the homelands was way more compelling.

Boy Blue's anti-climatic death and uncomfortable transformation into a self-insertion as the main hero who can do anything and saves the day but the girl who dates jerks still won't go out with him. Very unsettling when Rose devolves into a crying mess begging to have another chance with him. What should have been a moving death scene became a creepy excuse for the writer to work out his issues over the girls who wouldn't date him in high school as Blue used his last minute on Earth to tell Rose off.

Rose's VERY unsettling comatose mourning over not going for the "nice guy" while being raped by Jack.

The Dark Man storyline had promise in that it was presented as a more traditional fairy tale antagonist, but oh my god did it end up as one of the most rushed, anti-climatic dropped balls ever.