🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 260 — OLO!!!

This week, Howard and Kulap discuss how Gwen Stefani and Blake Shelton can relate to Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky, cover songs that come out prematurely, and what a day would look like if our hosts switched bodies! Additionally, Kulap reveals the special guests that have recently visited the set of Bajillion Dollar Properties. Then Noel Wells joins the show to talk about her role on Master of None, as well as her unique connection with Oscar Winner Tom Hanks.

Why is this episode not showing up in iTunes? Am I the only one?

Yeah I havent listened yet but mine showed up when I checked the apple podcast app

If Blake and Gwen are Clinton and Lewinski, does that make Pharrell Ken Starr?

You removed Stard from the intro :(

The version of the intro with Stard only runs when Stard is actually on the episode.

• Like 1

The version of the intro with Stard only runs when Stard is actually on the episode.

Yeah, I realized this shortly thereafter. Makes total sense.

• Like 1

I'm 100% on board with Howard about not covering recent songs.

I continue to be 100% off board with the idea of seeing a movie you know you won't like.

Good ep, but (broken record alert) the guest segment felt way too short, even more so than recent episodes.

• Like 1

Whoa. Howard owes Ku a huge apology! Ku brought in “White Iverson” by Post Malone as her song in February on the #219.5 Two charted episode. Not only did she play the song 10 months ago, Howard also got furious at the lyrics “saucing on you”. Check it out at about 35 mins in.

• Like 4

I'm hesitant to say anything critical and I'm only posting because of how much I love Who Charted, but I'm having a really hard time connecting with the show lately! I'm speculating/assuming that the guest portion was recorded first with the old format, but if that's the case, I wonder if having the guest around warmed them up for twooch afterwards and maybe that's part of the reason why it was so delightful.

It used to feel like that energy when you get together with your BFF along with a newer acquaintance, and you LOVE the time you spend with the new person, but as you're chatting, certain things come up like inside jokes and references that the new person doesn't have context for, so you're kind of hoping the new friend leaves first so you have a little bit of private time to dish with your BFF. And the audience could anticipate it and be in on that and it was totally magical.

With the new format, it feels more like we're in on a more formal Howard/Kulap hang. Like when you and your BFF are stressed and struggling to make time together and you have to get together every week at a certain time to see each other. That's not a bad thing. You still need and appreciate and love that time together, but it's not always the most interesting/supportive hang, and sometimes you're kind of relieved when a newer third party joins you to liven things up.

Does this make any sense? It could also be a chicken/egg thing -- i.e. is it that the format is making things different, or the demands that gave rise to the new format? The old format felt like it built a level of excitement and connection between Howard and Kulap and the audience (or at least that's how I saw it). But, it could also just be that they're both under new demands and the dynamic has shifted. Maybe this is all dumb and obvious, maybe I'm just being a huge change-resistant a-hole. I just hope everything works out!

• Like 3

hell yeah, can't wait till Howard comes through Dallas in January... and the day after Killing Joke is here, no less!

any other Chahtists in the area going? I've been making an effort to get out and see more comedy this year (Duncan Trussell, Johnny Pemberton, Brendon Walsh, Randy Liedtke and Brooks Wheelan... also Brody's going to be in town the first week of December), but most of the shows, with the exception of the DTFH taping, have been sorely under-attended. I'm hoping Wie will have a bigger draw since he's a known quantity in Texas... although the shows I've been going to have had an intimate vibe, I'm hoping for a nice sized crowd.

I'm 100% on board with Howard about not covering recent songs.

Cover songs tend to be awful and that is particularly true of the covers they talked about today which, as Kulap rightly pointed out, are just dummies trying to snag a record contract by taking advantage of people searching for popular songs.

However! Covering songs as soon as they come out is not new to the Spotify era. In fact, covering contemporary songs was a very big part of the R&B and soul scene in the '60s, to give one example. It was common for every group to cover a popular song at the time, which is why there are so many versions of "Get it While You Can" or "Stand By Me" or any of those standard soul tracks. Aretha Franklin basically owes her career to coveringOtis Redding's "Respect," which she released only two years after Otis' own (vastly superior! not sorry!) version.

It's also funny that Howard brought up the Rolling Stones, because they, of course, covered plenty of songs during their career (usually from their blues heroes) but their songs were often covered heavily by soul musicians as well. "Satisfaction," in particular, was a favorite pick. Both Otis and Aretha have versions of it, among many others, and Otis released his "Satisfaction" the same year the Stones did! It was a pretty common practice that mostly disappeared until streaming dredged it up again.

I think covers of recent songs are fine when they do something different with the song. Like when Joss Stone did that White Stripes song in a slower R&B style.

Noel wells is great and I wish her portion was longer than 20 minutes :( it felt super rushed

Cover songs tend to be awful and that is particularly true of the covers they talked about today which, as Kulap rightly pointed out, are just dummies trying to snag a record contract by taking advantage of people searching for popular songs.

What I don't understand are the dummies listening to these covers. Did they hear there's a hit song called "Hello" but they don't know who sings it and they're going through every search result? Are they already bored of the Adele version? Do they have low self-esteem and don't think they deserve to hear the original?

Sign in to follow this