🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 215 — Robbie Fulks in Rocky Road Pie Town

Chicago based singer-songwriter Robbie Fulks joins Mary Holland, John Gemberling, and Horatio Sanz for a very special musical edition of improv4humans with Matt Besser! Robbie performs songs live in-studio that will inspire scenes about marrying musicians in order to form a band, letting that special someone see what you could do to them in your mind, and a catfishing story taking place in Rocky Road Pie Town. Make sure to get the Upright Citizens Brigade television show season 3 now available on DVD, the UCB Comedy Improv Manual, and pick up Robbie Fulks' music at www.robbiefulks.com!

• Like 1

I'm laughing so hard already at the concept of washed up baseball players whipping potatoes at a wall to mash them.

• Like 3

Holland, Horatio and Gemberling. All 3 are so good man

• Like 3

It's been such a long time since I've heard good country music. Thank you for introducing me to Fulks.

Also, the future sex scene is the hardest I've laughed in a long time.

• Like 2

Okay, so, I realize that by posting anything negative about a show on its message board I am not going to come off well, but I just have to say, I am really tired of music guests. I might be in the minority here, and judging by the other replies in this thread, I think that very well may be, but I personally don't care for them. It isn't just the fact that I don't really care for music in general, or that my own music tastes don't line up with Besser's, it is that this is an improv comedy podcast, and it seems as if every other episode, if not more, is a "special musical episode". It's just too much.

• Like 1

Okay, so, I realize that by posting anything negative about a show on its message board I am not going to come off well, but I just have to say, I am really tired of music guests. I might be in the minority here, and judging by the other replies in this thread, I think that very well may be, but I personally don't care for them. It isn't just the fact that I don't really care for music in general, or that my own music tastes don't line up with Besser's, it is that this is an improv comedy podcast, and it seems as if every other episode, if not more, is a "special musical episode". It's just too much.

Could not disagree more. First of all, after HOURS and HOURS of these podcasts where there was no musical guest, I think it's fine to have them as often as we do. More than that, other than Frank Turner, I have never heard of a single one of these folks and have been turned onto a crazy amount of new music. Hate to throw out the 'it's free' card, but in this instance I think you need to factor in since he (Besser) has done so much for free on Earwolf, why be annoyed at him getting something out of it like meeting/hosting his musical idols? If it keeps him going, keeps his tank full on doing this podcast (and it seems like he keeps getting big time improv-names because they get to see the music up close) then why hate on it? You see a music one, just skip it. Easy enough.

• Like 4

I'm so tired of fast forwarding through Matt's favorite singer songwriters. Total loss of funny content. I know this is a touchy topic for Matt, but I'm not listening anymore. I used to, and now I don't. Up to you.

It's been such a long time since I've heard good country music. Thank you for introducing me to Fulks.

Also, the future sex scene is the hardest I've laughed in a long time.

This is not good country music.

I'm so tired of fast forwarding through Matt's favorite singer songwriters. Total loss of funny content. I know this is a touchy topic for Matt, but I'm not listening anymore. I used to, and now I don't. Up to you.

Bye!

• Like 14

Could not disagree more. First of all, after HOURS and HOURS of these podcasts where there was no musical guest, I think it's fine to have them as often as we do. More than that, other than Frank Turner, I have never heard of a single one of these folks and have been turned onto a crazy amount of new music. Hate to throw out the 'it's free' card, but in this instance I think you need to factor in since he (Besser) has done so much for free on Earwolf, why be annoyed at him getting something out of it like meeting/hosting his musical idols? If it keeps him going, keeps his tank full on doing this podcast (and it seems like he keeps getting big time improv-names because they get to see the music up close) then why hate on it? You see a music one, just skip it. Easy enough.

I'm not sure I agree with the argument that Besser is somehow owed the right to indulge his musical proclivities on his comedy podcast because he has "done so much for free". I do believe that it is his show, and he can do whatever he likes with it. If he wants to have a podcast where the format is to have a group of alternating comics on, with a musical guest joining in, then I can't complain about it. What I dislike is that this is ostensibly an improv comedy podcast, and the musical guests are, for lack of a better word, muddling the comedy.

I hope he never does another non musical guest episode just to piss off these whiny motherfuckers.

• Like 4

I'm a big fan of all of these improvisers, and I can not wait to listen to this episode!

As for musical guests, even if they're style of music is not to my liking, their lyrics ultimately lead to discussion and hilarious improv scenes, so I'm fine with it.

• Like 1

every episode should have a musical guest in my my honest opinion. it's fun and brett records them great.

the dan deacon/lauren lapkus/jon gabrus/seth morris episode is one of my favourite podcasts ever.

I definitely see your point

I'm not sure I agree with the argument that Besser is somehow owed the right to indulge his musical proclivities on his comedy podcast because he has "done so much for free".

He 'has the right' to do anything he wants. It's his show.Which he does for pretty much nothing. He owes us nothing. We are entitled to nothing. We are not only not entitled to a music episode every single time if that's what he wants, we aren't even entitled to any episodes at all if he so chooses. What I am saying is, if this makes him happy (and it makes a lot of us happy too), then why rag on it? Why not just skip it without comment? Why post something negative if it clearly makes him happy?

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this