🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 124.5 - Minisode 124.5

For instance, she thought she was going to get away with it unremarked, but in the Hackers thread, Ellen M mentioned how Rankin and Bass's Santa Claus really did it for her when she was younger...

SantaClausComingFinal.png

Anyone else want to volunteer their weird cartoon crushes?

I didn't necessarily try to get away with it but I do feel like I may have revealed more of myself than anticipated with that last post. But I guess I can't stop now...

I fully believe that Disney's Robin Hood is the reason I have an English accent fetish.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

He's so foxy (I'll see myself out)

If EllenM is into puppets, she should see Anomalisa. I went to see that with a date at a film festival, and it was, well....SUPER awkward

because of puppets fucking.

EllenM is not in to puppets.

• Like 6

Matchstick Men is another legit GREAT movie that nobody seems to talk about-and he was excellent in it!

200.gif

Lord of War to me might be one of his best performances in years where he plays it straight and never really goes over the top, that was all done by Jared Leto.

• Like 4

EllenM is not in to puppets.

That's just what someone who was into puppets would say.

• Like 3

That's just what someone who was into puppets would say.

I prefer relationships that are...no strings attached

giphy.gif

• Like 7

I prefer relationships that are...no strings attached

giphy.gif

YYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!

• Like 5

Hey everybody I'm back from my daunting and epic adventure across the barren wastes (and no I did not forget my password)

Funnily enough I was thinking of Nic Cage, Travolta, and JCVD being kitsch superstars, and I was pondering who is close to being one, but is just not really good enough, and I'd have to say Steven Seagal. SS has a few highly entertaining movies early in his career, but the last few have just been real stinkers. Excepting for The Onion Movie and Machete, they've mostly have seemed to be super generic and slogging in a Uwe Boll kind of way, even when they have insane premises like a terrorist cell of vampires. I think his main problem is that he's just a one note (or less) actor playing an archetype that's been pounded into being a cliche.

Anybody else have an actor who's just not quite good enough to be a B-film god?

Isn't being a furry basically having an entire cartoon fetish?

And I can't think of anything because most cartoon girls are actually kind of creepy, especially furry ones because they always are human+animal nose & ears which is just on the wrong side of the uncanny valley.

And speaking of creepy

hqdefault.jpg

Gadget-Hackwrench-2.jpg#geekosystem

• Like 1

First of all, thank you Ellen M for being the only one around here with any guts :)

I didn't necessarily try to get away with it but I do feel like I may have revealed more of myself than anticipated with that last post. But I guess I can't stop now...

I fully believe that Disney's Robin Hood is the reason I have an English accent fetish.

tumblr_n2ypnfRJuY1tthfkko1_400.gif

But seriously, I get that. I definitely had a crush Marian. I'm trying to think of some other good ones...Lady Jaye and Cheetara are too easy and not embarrassing enough. Maybe, Gadget from Rescue Rangers...

Oh! Hey! What's that dlo burns? Did you have something to add? Uh-oh...

Hey everybody I'm back from my daunting and epic adventure across the barren wastes (and no I did not forget my password)

Welcome back!

Isn't being a furry basically having an entire cartoon fetish?

And I can't think of anything because most cartoon girls are actually kind of creepy, especially furry ones because they always are human+animal nose & ears which is just on the wrong side of the uncanny valley.

I think you're over sexualizing it. Neither Ellen M nor I are saying, "I want to fuck a cartoon fox, right now!" We're saying, that when we were young, innocent, and sex wasn't even a thing, we thought they were pretty dope. We've since grown out of it into healthy, well-adjusted adults...which, according to your "spoiler," is apparently something not everyone is capable of doing. Yikes!

• Like 5

As far as Nic Cage goes, I do adore the guy. He is capable of legitimately masterful performances and also capable of being so over the top and ridiculous that if defies logic. He's willing to take risks that few actors are willing to take and it makes him exciting to watch. Sure, it doesn't mean he's the best actor around, far from it, but there's nobody else who could have made "BEES!" a catchphrase, ya know? He's like a baseball player who is guaranteed to hit 45 home runs a season, but is also guaranteed to hit for around a .200 average. Is that the kind of production gamble you want for you movies? Maybe, maybe not.

Anyway, I am watching this unbelievable dreck of a movie right now, and I must admit I was legitimately excited to see Kevin Grevioux (aka Low-Voice Guy/writer from Underworld) show up! Awesome. I could listen to his voice in anything. Imagine if HE was Steel instead of this basketyball guy.

1268235_original.jpg

I would for real eat at a restaurant called "Black and Bleu."

• Like 2

Also, holy shit, Big Time Legitimate Takes-Himself-Seriously-Actor John Hawkes shows up as Some Chump Idiot Mugger! Haha, what is happening?!?!

Oh, I <3 him.

• Like 2

First of all, thank you Ellen M for being the only one around here with any guts :)

tumblr_n2ypnfRJuY1tthfkko1_400.gif

Thanks! I'm basically an open book with from my admitted enjoyment to Nickelback to my childhood cartoon crushes. I think that Robin Hood is such an underrated Disney movie. I get that it was made during the Disney dark ages and they reused a lot of animation from previous movies but I love the songs. Mumford and Sons did a cover of "Not in Nottingham" and it's so sweet.

• Like 3

looked this up today on boxofficemojo ... cost 16 million and made 1.7 million in 1997. i was like ... essshhh ... thats a bomb

i just finished watching it ... now i want to know how did it make 1.7 million and how was it made in 1997???

its so bad and so dated ... but i really enjoyed watching it .. roll on kazaam

• Like 3

Thanks! I'm basically an open book with from my admitted enjoyment to Nickelback to my childhood cartoon crushes. I think that Robin Hood is such an underrated Disney movie. I get that it was made during the Disney dark ages and they reused a lot of animation from previous movies but I love the songs. Mumford and Sons did a cover of "Not in Nottingham" and it's so sweet.

23tjkes.jpg

• Like 3

I too have returned after a week of holiday events and parties. As much as I love the holiday season I enjoy free time more. So many things said and so much to comment on...

First off, given the general comics love of the majority of us here I highly look forward to the super nerdy and specific discussion that will come from this travesty of a comic book movie. I'm counting on you Fister as maybe the biggest DC fan here.

Secondly, I too do not get the Nicolas Cage idolization or I should say the love of him as a good bad actor. He is actually a talented actor who always makes interesting choices. He's in some of my favourite all time legitimately good movies like Wild at Heart and Raising Arizona in which he gives great performances. However, much like a lot of actors as their career goes on and they make questionable financial choices the need to do some roles for the cash. This leads to a certain career path where you say yes to things you'd probably say no to. In fact if you look at his filmography when he's with a talented director and writer the results are great performances and good movies. The main reason I think that Nic Cage gets this kind of attention is that he is so versatile. He's the leading man who is actually a character actor. He can also slip into any genre. If you take somebody like Arnold, he can't really do that many genres even though he tried. To see him in something like The Room or Xanadu he'd just feel kinda odd and out of place but Nicolas Cage seems like he could fit. Again proving that he is probably a better actor than most give him credit for. That said if I had to pick the best bad actors... hmm... maybe Bruce Willis. I have to think more on this.

Thirdly, EllenM. Rankin and Bass's Santa and Disney's Robin Hood? Seems like somebody has a thing for gingers. Did you have a crush on Ron Weasley as well?

As for me, well I don't recall any weird cartoon crushes. The first fictional character I remember having a crush on was Kelly from Saved By The Bell. The first non-living crush I remember is probably Fairchild from Gen13. Oddly not so much for the way she was drawn (and J Scott Campbell can draw women) but I was so attracted to her smarts and nerdiness more. It also probably deep seeded in my love of Ninja Turtles growing up and her looking like a less 80s April O'Neil.

Edit: Now that I thought on in a bit my vote is note Bruce Willis but rather Samuel L Jackson.

• Like 4

As for me, well I don't recall any weird cartoon crushes. The first fictional character I remember having a crush on was Kelly from Saved By The Bell. The first non-living crush I remember is probably Fairchild from Gen13. Oddly not so much for the way she was drawn (and J Scott Campbell can draw women) but I was so attracted to her smarts and nerdiness more. It also probably deep seeded in my love of Ninja Turtles growing up and her looking like a less 80s April O'Neil.

Holy crap, I was going to say Fairchild too, but I was trying to think up an actual cartoon character! She looked EXACTLY like this girl that I was super crushing on in junior high and high school that was nerdy cute before just getting hot. Instead of Amazon-ing out though, she basically just lost the glasses, "She's All That"-style. Super cool person though and pretty down to Earth, considering her dad was in the House of Representatives at the time. He's a senator now.

Gen13-Fairchild03.jpg1578831-fairchild_pre_genactive.jpg

• Like 2

Thirdly, EllenM. Rankin and Bass's Santa and Disney's Robin Hood? Seems like somebody has a thing for gingers. Did you have a crush on Ron Weasley as well?

Funny enough, I really dislike Ron Weasley. His brothers though (excluding Percy)? Totally down.

I don't think I have a thing for gingers, never dated one. I think I just envy their hair. I tried dyeing my hair red but it is too dark and I'm too pale to drastically change the colour. It didn't really work out, especially because my eyebrows didn't match. That really fucked me up.

• Like 4

When I saw the opening line in the description about a famous basketball player, I was worried we were doing Juwanna Mann.

Things would have gotten serious.

Funny enough, I really dislike Ron Weasley. His brothers though (excluding Percy)? Totally down.

tumblr_n9pbqwRs961tia3zvo2_500.gif

I don't think I have a thing for gingers, never dated one. I think I just envy their hair. I tried dyeing my hair red but it is too dark and I'm too pale to drastically change the colour. It didn't really work out, especially because my eyebrows didn't match. That really fucked me up.

I was born with red hair and then over time it went like dirty blond. However, my beard when I started to grow it came in red. Over the years it went more of a dark red, so my beard and my hair have never and still don't match which makes everybody assume I dye one of them.

• Like 4

Lady Jaye from G.I. Joe. The fanservice they threw into episodes "The Gamesmaster" and "Grey Hairs and Growing Pains" did things to me as a kid that I did not understand at the time.

• Like 2

I was born with red hair and then over time it went like dirty blond. However, my beard when I started to grow it came in red. Over the years it went more of a dark red, so my beard and my hair have never and still don't match which makes everybody assume I dye one of them.

I have a similar thing. I have brown hair, but my facial hair grows in really red. It also grows in really patchy and shitty, so I never really grow it out. But when I get lazy and don't shave for a while, people will always ask me if I dye my hair. They never ask if I dye my beard, but always about my hair. Which has only gotten to be more and more ridiculous of a question as I've started getting more gray in my hair.

• Like 3

Justin, the rat guard in The Secret of NIMH is the weirdest one I got.

tumblr_luhfxex4N21r4yyago1_250.gif

Now THAT'S what I'm fucking talking about!

Thanks, Anonymous Coward! Your bravery has been duly recorded in the annals of Internet history--forever.

• Like 2

2rogc2b.png

At least there is no ambiguity about which super hero movie we are watching.

Still more watchable than Snyder's Man of Steel.

• Like 3

2rogc2b.png

At least there is no ambiguity about which super hero movie we are watching.

That's also Shaq's real tattoo. He's a major nerd for Superman. I remember seeing an episode of Cribs with him back when that would have been a relevant point of reference, and all I remember about it was that he had a gigantic Superman bed.

• Like 2

I can't believe that Shaq's rap career is JUST being mentioned here, but another Superman nod is in this video