Face waterfall or ET touch:

693yw5.jpg

Narcos drug kingpin or steel drug kingpin

2qbu25y.jpg

Dark knight or steel:

4keayo.jpg

i think Steel wins hands down in all categories

• Like 3

Still more watchable than Snyder's Man of Steel.

man of steel or superman returns?

That's also Shaq's real tattoo. He's a major nerd for Superman. I remember seeing an episode of Cribs with him back when that would have been a relevant point of reference, and all I remember about it was that he had a gigantic Superman bed.

I saw the same episode of cribs. I believe he also had a superman themed truck. I thought he was going to run into trademark trouble with DC

I saw the same episode of cribs. I believe he also had a superman themed truck. I thought he was going to run into trademark trouble with DC

Naw. Thats free publicity from a major celebrity athlete who made no money off those logos. DC loved it.

• Like 1

Naw. Thats free publicity from a major celebrity athlete who made no money off those logos. DC loved it.

What I always find funny about the subject of logos in his house is that every time it's on TV his jerseys that he has hanging on his walls are all blurred out. Like what's that mysterious yellow and purple haze over there? No way it could be a Lakers jersey!

• Like 2

By the way, as Judd Nelson's character was using an arcade as a front for his activities, were arcades still a thing in 1997? Or just in the midst of their decline?

By the way, as Judd Nelson's character was using an arcade as a front for his activities, were arcades still a thing in 1997? Or just in the midst of their decline?

I really don't remember many standalone arcades in the 90s; however, they were still pretty prevalent in malls and movie theater lobbies. Basically, they had a big resurgence in the early 90s because they had more advanced 3d graphics than console games. But with the release of the Playstation (and, a couple years later, the N64) and its graphic hardware, that edge was quickly lost. The first PS was released in 94, and the N64 was in 96, so I'd say 97 was probably right in the middle of their decline.

That said, in 1997, a new mall opened pretty close to where I was living at the time, and they had a GameWorks. I spent a lot of time and money in that place throughout the rest of my time in high school. But they had the more "advanced" games like Time Crisis and the Indy 500 and stuff that you really couldn't play at home. I also remember a sweet Star Wars Trilogy arcade game that came out in 1998 that I spent a lot of time playing until TPM came out the next year and turned me off Star Wars for several years.

So, after making the answer to your question ridiculously long, I think the idea of a local, independent arcade was mostly gone by that point, and most arcades were corporate-owned and had moved into malls and movie theaters. But, then again, I lived in a suburb in Dallas, TX, so maybe they were bigger in other places.

• Like 4

That reminds me, has anyone else seen the documentary "Chasing Ghosts"? It's about a bunch of guys that were hot-shit gamers in the early 80s when arcades were a huge deal. Anyway, a lot of these guys were just never the same when their arcades closed down, and you'd figure they had at least a few more good years, right? Well, at the end, they ran sort of an "In Memoriam" tribute to the places featured in the movie, and in many cases, these places that were hot in 1982-83 were lucky to have made it past 1984.

• Like 5

By 97 most of the arcades that I went to were starting to get overrun by gangs or the games were so poorly managed that you were lucky if half even worked. That and at that time there was a boom of expensive games coming out that were costing $.75/play minimum so it wasn't worthwhile to go to an arcade except for the one off visits during vacation and such.

• Like 3

That reminds me, has anyone else seen the documentary "Chasing Ghosts"?

I enjoyed that one, I would definitely recommend a watch of that and the documentary that led me to that which is of course King of Kong which I thought was better but of course there is controversy over the central rivalry being largely a creation of the documentary makers in trying to create a compelling narrative. Both worth a watch though

That reminds me, has anyone else seen the documentary "Chasing Ghosts"? It's about a bunch of guys that were hot-shit gamers in the early 80s when arcades were a huge deal. Anyway, a lot of these guys were just never the same when their arcades closed down, and you'd figure they had at least a few more good years, right? Well, at the end, they ran sort of an "In Memoriam" tribute to the places featured in the movie, and in many cases, these places that were hot in 1982-83 were lucky to have made it past 1984.

Atari: Game Over is a great doc about the recent digging up of the ET Atari games and Indie Game: the Movie is okay as the some of the subjects of the film are a bit pretentious about their work and standing inside the gaming industry.

• Like 2

By 97 most of the arcades that I went to were starting to get overrun by gangs or the games were so poorly managed that you were lucky if half even worked. That and at that time there was a boom of expensive games coming out that were costing $.75/play minimum so it wasn't worthwhile to go to an arcade except for the one off visits during vacation and such.

Oh yeah, that's a good point, too. I remember the first time I saw a game that was $1/play, and I went fucking bananas. Then my friend started working at GameWorks, and he would just give me his employee card so I could play all the games for free.

One things that's kind of rad that we have in Austin is a BYOB arcade. They give you cups full of coins just like the old days, and you can bring in your own beer and drink and play video games. The only thing that kind of sucks is that you can only bring one beer in at a time. Otherwise, they run into issues with the stupid TABC (Texas Alcoholic Beverage Comission), who are literally THE WORST. So you have run back out to your car every time you want another beer. But still...it's pretty legit.

• Like 2

Oh yeah, that's a good point, too. I remember the first time I saw a game that was $1/play, and I went fucking bananas. Then my friend started working at GameWorks, and he would just give me his employee card so I could play all the games for free.

One things that's kind of rad that we have in Austin is a BYOB arcade. They give you cups full of coins just like the old days, and you can bring in your own beer and drink and play video games. The only thing that kind of sucks is that you can only bring one beer in at a time. Otherwise, they run into issues with the stupid TABC (Texas Alcoholic Beverage Comission), who are literally THE WORST. So you have run back out to your car every time you want another beer. But still...it's pretty legit.

That seems like a good deal outside of the drunk assholes who would get so sloshed that they end up breaking the games and ruining it for other players. That was the only thing that was worse than the game being out of order in that you put your money in a functioning game, and the controls were off, usually the shooting games with the gun peripherals. So while the game works, the aim is for shit and you can't really play the game, which I think was a cheap ploy by arcade owners to scam players out of money by not putting an out of order sign on the gun. Unfortunately the time of $.25 and $.50 games are a thing of the past outside of old retro games, though $.75 isn't too bad for a quality game. I have found some great books online about arcades and some of the crazy machines that were made in the heyday, just haven't gotten around to buying them yet, but they look perfect for the arcade aficionado's collection.

Supercade:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0262524201?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_142&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Encyclopedia of Arcade Video Games:

http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Arcade-Video-Schiffer-Collectors/dp/0764319256/ref=pd_sim_14_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=51WW04WWK6L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR125%2C160_&refRID=1ZTN6C04VYE4Q9DS7J3W

The Arcade Experience:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Arcade-Experience-Modern-Arcades/dp/1482757850/ref=pd_sim_14_6?ie=UTF8&dpID=41%2BQ%2Bgxo1kL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR107%2C160_&refRID=10VZSEBXMG99XCP1FFDZ

Service Games the Rise and Fall of Sega:

http://www.amazon.com/Service-Games-Rise-Enhanced-Edition/dp/1494288354/ref=pd_sim_14_19?ie=UTF8&dpID=517TvE38l6L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR107%2C160_&refRID=10VZSEBXMG99XCP1FFDZ

Vintage Game Consoles:

http://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Game-Consoles-Commodore-Platforms/dp/0415856000/ref=pd_sim_14_10?ie=UTF8&dpID=51Pg-srQL-L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR127%2C160_&refRID=1ZTN6C04VYE4Q9DS7J3W

• Like 1

That seems like a good deal outside of the drunk assholes who would get so sloshed that they end up breaking the games and ruining it for other players.

Surprisingly, this doesn't happen all that often. They take really good care of their machines, and I've only seen one person there that was drunk and acting like an asshole. And the other customers told him to get the hell out before the staff even had a chance.

Their building is, like, half pinball machines, and they have a bunch of gamer leagues that come in and play. The ones I see most often are pinball leagues and Mario Kart leagues. And they take their shit seriously, so if someone's acting like a dickhole, they get kicked out pretty quickly.

I have not seen this weeks movie yet, but based on this trailer it doesn't look all that bad.

is this a thank god this got made film?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVAt1xNo3no

Shaq's expression in the thumbnail for this video had me laughing so hard. He looks like a total manchild.

• Like 2

Surprisingly, this doesn't happen all that often. They take really good care of their machines, and I've only seen one person there that was drunk and acting like an asshole. And the other customers told him to get the hell out before the staff even had a chance.

Their building is, like, half pinball machines, and they have a bunch of gamer leagues that come in and play. The ones I see most often are pinball leagues and Mario Kart leagues. And they take their shit seriously, so if someone's acting like a dickhole, they get kicked out pretty quickly.

See I wish there was more places like that near where I live. There are a couple pinball museums in a reasonable distance from me which are great. You basically pay 15 bucks and they are all set to free play and each room is dedicated to a certain era (50s-70, 80s, 90s, and 2000s). Best time I've had blowing a couple hours in a long time.

• Like 4

I never saw the movie but I did get the DC movie graphic novel adaptation when it came out.

Its bad.

really bad.

That's about par for the course as far as movie adaptations go.

That reminds me, I had the Judge Dredd adaptation, which was actually drawn by the character's co-creator, so the art was really good. It had to break his fucking heart though, because Dredd had never been unmasked in the books, but I guess if anyone was going to draw him unmasked for the first time, he was the one that should do it.

• Like 1

That's about par for the course as far as movie adaptations go.

I will say though that the recent tie-in for Dredd was actually pretty good, if not just a rehash of some of the film's plot points. Also just recently comic prequels/sequels were released for Trick 'R' Treat and Krampus and were incredible. The Krampus on in particular is done in the anthology style of Trick 'R' Treat and actually helps explain the films kinda ambiguous ending.

• Like 2

Oh Jesus, this comic tie-in talk has me thinking of "Southland Tales" again...

Oh fuck that movie and that book. That had to be the worst idea ever to think that fans would be so ginned up for a movie that was constantly getting pushed back that they would read a near mandatory graphic novel that would only slightly explain what the fuck was happening in the movie.

• Like 1

So Steel (the movie) came out the same time the Superman Animated Series was still airing, and that same year they did an episode with John Henry Irons as just a weapons designer at Lexcorp, and then one as Steel saving Supes from Metallo (which Bruce Timm disliked but I remember well). He was voiced by Michael Dorn (Worf from Star Trek) who I think could've played a much better Steel.

http://dcau.wikia.com/wiki/Heavy_Metal

• Like 1

Did everyone see the Jay Marks video with the fake NUNDERCOVER trailer? I just did and am very excited to have this project greenlit.

• Like 7

Atari: Game Over is a great doc about the recent digging up of the ET Atari games and Indie Game: the Movie is okay as the some of the subjects of the film are a bit pretentious about their work and standing inside the gaming industry.

"Game Over" was okay, but what I knew about it going in was a little misleading, as it turns out that there is no mystery at all as to whether or not the cartridges were out there, it was just a matter of getting to them. It was kind of interesting though to learn about how dangerous that task could actually be, as you've got thirty years of who knows what piled on top of it, which could include hazardous materials. It was also funny how completely unimportant an uninteresting the quest was to the people whose job it would be to do the digging, as mass disposal of product like that is pretty ordinary.

• Like 1