🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 124.5 - Minisode 124.5

Oh yeah, that's a good point, too. I remember the first time I saw a game that was $1/play, and I went fucking bananas. Then my friend started working at GameWorks, and he would just give me his employee card so I could play all the games for free.

One things that's kind of rad that we have in Austin is a BYOB arcade. They give you cups full of coins just like the old days, and you can bring in your own beer and drink and play video games. The only thing that kind of sucks is that you can only bring one beer in at a time. Otherwise, they run into issues with the stupid TABC (Texas Alcoholic Beverage Comission), who are literally THE WORST. So you have run back out to your car every time you want another beer. But still...it's pretty legit.

Are you talking about the place with a metric buttload of pinball machines!? A friend took me there a while back when I was visiting Austin and they almost had to drag me out of that place. Sooooo many nostalgic feels!

The one beer at a time thing was pretty annoying but totally doable.

• Like 1

"Game Over" was okay, but what I knew about it going in was a little misleading, as it turns out that there is no mystery at all as to whether or not the cartridges were out there, it was just a matter of getting to them. It was kind of interesting though to learn about how dangerous that task could actually be, as you've got thirty years of who knows what piled on top of it, which could include hazardous materials. It was also funny how completely unimportant an uninteresting the quest was to the people whose job it would be to do the digging, as mass disposal of product like that is pretty ordinary.

Yeah after hearing all the news stories about the games being found I wasn't so much watching the doc to see them found but the amount of work that went into trying to find these things and the crowd of people that showed up to see people digging in dirt was pretty astonishing.

• Like 1

Yeah after hearing all the news stories about the games being found I wasn't so much watching the doc to see them found but the amount of work that went into trying to find these things and the crowd of people that showed up to see people digging in dirt was pretty astonishing.

I just remembered too all the Indiana Jones talk, like it was some grand quest to unearth a treasure that the world was waiting to see. Well, at least they were doing something outside, right? NERRRRRDDDDSSS!

• Like 1

Atari: Game Over is a great doc about the recent digging up of the ET Atari games and Indie Game: the Movie is okay as the some of the subjects of the film are a bit pretentious about their work and standing inside the gaming industry.

do you ever watch that show diggers? it's about these two idiots with metal detectors. they did a program about steve jobs time capsule. not to be confused by andy warhol time capsule that is simply amazing and they are still opening them, still. it should be pointed out that this is the first and only episode I've ever watched.

On the subject discussed three pages ago about animated character crushes, my first thoughts always go to Elisa from Gargoyles. Of course, this always brought up conflicted feelings in me because she and Goliath were so adorably in love which each other beneath their rough exteriors, 12-year-old-me would NEVER want to interfere with such obvious true affection!

05-293.jpg

• Like 6

I just have to mention-I was watching a Star Wars TV Spot last night and my wife saw BB-8 and immediately said "I want one!"

She has never been too into Star Wars and hasn't bene paying that much attention to Force Awakens, so it was extra surprising and funny to me.

Naturally, I shared June's story and it cracked her the hell up. BB-8 is so cute...how could you be scared of him?

• Like 5

Holy fuck! I just finished Steel and all I can say is...

c82e77298c509496b85d7185c0c3816a.gif

But, in all honesty, I'd be lying if I said this movie didn't deeply resonate with me on some level. Like when SWAT busts in to capture him, and I--hand to God, sitting alone, and watching this stupid movie on my phone--cried out, "Her souffle!"

Also, did the producers of the X-Files see Annabeth Gish in this and think, "Yahtzee! She's just the person we need to ruin the final season of our show!"

• Like 6

I just have to mention-I was watching a Star Wars TV Spot last night and my wife saw BB-8 and immediately said "I want one!"

She has never been too into Star Wars and hasn't bene paying that much attention to Force Awakens, so it was extra surprising and funny to me.

Naturally, I shared June's story and it cracked her the hell up. BB-8 is so cute...how could you be scared of him?

I'm assuming Paul has the Sphero BB-8, so if you DID want to get her one, that's a good one. One of my really close friends has one, and it's fucking rad.

Now if you'll excuse me, just like Ball Droid, I GOTTA ROLL ON OUTTA HERE!

• Like 2

I forgot how much I loved this conversation. Any time Jason asks June what she thought happened in a movie is pure gold. But Paul starting in with "Did you really not see..." and the guys going "WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT!" totally kills me.

I rewatched a few of the videos Jay did and that seems to be a common thread throughout all of them which is just SPLENDID! We all know June has crazy amazing theories but the fact that Jay picked out some of the best ones where Jason goes, "No no no let her finish... June what did you think?" Just really solidifies how crazy amazing they really are lol.

• Like 2

I'm assuming Paul has the Sphero BB-8, so if you DID want to get her one, that's a good one. One of my really close friends has one, and it's fucking rad.

i think june just thought it was a Robotic vacuum cleaner.

• Like 1

So, some things about the topics of conversation:

One of the things I love about Nic Cage is that there's not really such a thing as "A half-ass Nic Cage performance". He's going to fucking go for it in everything he's in. Now, don't get me wrong, it doesn't always work, but when he's good, he's legitimately great, and when he's bad, he specifically is at least spectacularly watchable in the badness, almost regardless of the rest of the movie.

On cartoon crushes: Elementary School Age Emptyeye had Penny Gadget to thank for a lot of his, uh, present-day fascinations, sexual and otherwise. As I understand it, I am far from alone in this in my age bracket.

• Like 1

I forgot how much I loved this conversation. Any time Jason asks June what she thought happened in a movie is pure gold. But Paul starting in with "Did you really not see..." and the guys going "WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT!" totally kills me.

Jason's wheezing hysterical laugh is one of my favorite sounds in the entire world, bar none.

• Like 5

Yes, I was reading about this earlier! The fact that you can control him with an app sounds super fun. I just may have to get myself one. My dog would probably lose her mind...

• Like 1

I know we're getting the Steel episode next week, but do you all think it's going to be Monday or Friday?

I know we're getting the Steel episode next week, but do you all think it's going to be Monday or Friday?

I'm really hoping it's Monday, but I don't know how long it takes them to edit the episodes and such.

In the meantime, if anyone is having withdrawals and REALLY needs to hear a podcast about how bad Steel is, We Hate Movies did it a couple years ago. I listened to it earlier this week as a warmup in lieu of watching the movie because I've been too busy to get to it this week. (I know that's the second time I've mentioned that podcast in this thread. I promise it's the last)

Whatever happened to the idea of posting the pilot podcast with Scott Aukerman? Seems like this would've been a good time for it and keep the friday releases on track.

How are the people that "have listened to every show, but didn't feel the need to comment until now" supposed to complain about the sound quality of the new live episode if there's no episode to listen to yet?!? I've got some great sarcastic GIFs burning s hole in my pocket!

• Like 4

How are the people that "have listened to every show, but didn't feel the need to comment until now" supposed to complain about the sound quality of the new live episode if there's no episode to listen to yet?!? I've got some great sarcastic GIFs burning s hole in my pocket!

They can just complain that there's no new episode. Because apparently the HDTGM crew still hasn't figured out time travel yet in order to release the show they're recording tomorrow night today.

Fuckin' amateurs.

• Like 2

tumblr_nz4n3wY3XU1s3z0uco1_1280.jpg

You guys. What's it's mission?

If I find out Matt Damon is voicing the beeps and boops for BB-88, I will lose my fucking mind, especially if he reads like this version of himself:

matt-damon-team-america.gif

• Like 4