🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 125 - Steel: LIVE!

LIVE from Largo in Los Angeles, Anders Holm of Workaholics joins Paul, Jason, and June to discuss Shaquille O'Neal in the 1997 superhero film Steel. They’ll talk about the lethargic action, how much Shaq weighs with the steel armor, Shaq's non-sexual relationship with Sparks, and Judd Nelson as the villain who refers to himself as "The Man." Plus, everyone encounters the very first sleeping audience member during Audience Q&A!

People of the internet: Watch Paul in Fresh off the Boat on ABC and a while ago, Paul and Rob Huebel did a comedy special on a 60 foot glass bus that traveled around LA and now you’ll be able to see it. Go to https://itun.es/us/3M4J9 now to buy it! You can also see Jason in Transparent on Amazon and in The Night Before in a theater near you! Also, check out June in Grace and Frankie available on Netflix, and in all the episodes of NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU for free, and Jason in The Dictator (he’s still in it!).

Perfect, something to make my flight home that much smoother.

Steel: one of those movies where I feel that I've seen it, but am not actually sure I have.

Is it forgettable, or it's it memetic enough that snatches of it have implanted themselves in my mind?

Just an addition to what June brought up, but it was 100% a racist decision not to have Shaq kiss Annabeth at the end of the movie.

I dont know if anybody else has seen that documentary The Slanted Screen about how asians are portrayed in hollywood movies. But in it they bring up the movie Romeo Must Die, where Jet Li is cast along with Aaliyah as Romeo and Juliet respectively, but even though they were supposed to be the two romantic leads of the movie, at the end it has them give each other some awkward hug.

All because either studio or producer notes about how they felt that American audiences werent ready to have an Asian actor as a romantic lead. Its pretty much certain a similar situation happened here.

• Like 7

I'm listening to the ep right now and am excited. But, I had to stop to post. When I heard about the June BB8 t-shirt, I immediately rushed to the store because that is a thing that I need... but.

BB8-Mockup.png

There's a teensy grammatical error here. June said "What's its mission" not "what's it's mission." It's meaning "it is".

Anyway, I used to be a copy editor and proofreader so I'm annoying about this stuff. But I will proofread future shirts for you FOR FREE, if you want. ha.

What is it is mission might be my new catchphrase.

• Like 8

lol @ LA ppl getting crucial about how bad Kobe is. Well, to be fair, I'm sure he's at least as good an actor as he is at hoop now...

Just an addition to what June brought up, but it was 100% a racist decision not to have Shaq kiss Annabeth at the end of the movie.

I dont know if anybody else has seen that documentary The Slanted Screen about how asians are portrayed in hollywood movies. But in it they bring up the movie Romeo Must Die, where Jet Li is cast along with Aaliyah as Romeo and Juliet respectively, but even though they were supposed to be the two romantic leads of the movie, at the end it has them give each other some awkward hug.

All because either studio or producer notes about how they felt that American audiences werent ready to have an Asian actor as a romantic lead. Its pretty much certain a similar situation happened here.

I would like to co-sign this. This is also the reason why Geordi from Star Trek was never even hinted at being in a romantic relationship and why in Beverly Hills Cop, Eddie Murphy never kisses the white woman who was mutual friends with the guy that was killed; instead, they make Judd Reinhold the "romantic" partner, and its fucking weird.

• Like 7

I am having trouble figuring out a time issue with this movie. The listed running time of Steel is 97 minutes. And I am sure that scene of Shaq chasing the robber through the train yard was 45 minutes long. So did the rest of the movie take place over just 52 minutes? That doesn't seem possible. Confusing!

• Like 3

Well, most of the stuff I mentioned in the minisode thread that I hoped they'd cover here, they did. I'd still like to know if Sparks was supposed to be their interpretation of Oracle or not.

Ders killed it. Great guest.

also, nothing to do with steel but i made this

343ry93.jpg

http://hdtgmiq.com/index.html

(i know i already posted this in its own thread but abit of work went into it so please indulge my repost)

20 for 20 baby.

• Like 3

There were so many silly Judd Nelson one liners in this movie, I really think he may have made it for me. Not only did he have the great "hotdog" line that Jason brought up, but in the same scene he delivers what I felt to be the best line of the movie, "You floss too much, man, and your gums will bleed."

However, the one line that yanked me by the ear and hurled me bodily out of the movie came toward the end. Steel has been caught and is laying prone at Nelson's feet. Nelson wheels out Gish and says, "The difference between you and me: I'd kiss her sorry crippled ass goodbye, and worry about myself." The problem with this line is, in context, it makes absolutely no sense! Steel was neither trying to escape, nor did he need to be drawn out into the open. Furthermore, how are Steel's options any different from what Nelson's would be in the exact same situation. He can either fight back, which would most likely result in both he and his loved one dying, or he can, I guess, just stayed surrendered?--which would also probably result in her death. I mean, at this point in the movie, Steel has, for all intents and purposes, been soundly defeated and seems perfectly content to patiently wait out the rest of the movie out from his vantage point at Nelson's feet. The only reason a villain would ever pull this out of their bag of tricks is for leverage, but he doesn't need it! Steel has been caught! He's lying at your feet dummy! The movie is over! You don't need Gish there at all!

• Like 1

Forget this weird "Housewives" miniseries, I want a miniseries that's just Paul's stories of working at Blockbuster!

• Like 7

i know this has nothing to do with steel (and that its not wednesday) but heres something that made me laugh when i finished it

35in8me.jpg

Ok, I love you guys but this was definitely my least fav episode so far... just too many visual and private jokes... ;)

However this firsttimecallerlongtimelistenr' s post is everything!! thank you guy for this beautiful early christmas present!

• Like 1

I'm listening to the ep right now and am excited. But, I had to stop to post. When I heard about the June BB8 t-shirt, I immediately rushed to the store because that is a thing that I need... but.

BB8-Mockup.png

There's a teensy grammatical error here. June said "What's its mission" not "what's it's mission." It's meaning "it is".

Anyway, I used to be a copy editor and proofreader so I'm annoying about this stuff. But I will proofread future shirts for you FOR FREE, if you want. ha.

That really bugs me too, and now I can't get one...dammit.

• Like 2

Same. That's really disappointing.

• Like 2

My only problem with this movie is how Shaq straight up kidnapped Sparky from rehab. Most rehab centers require the person who checked themselves into rehab, to check themselves out of rehab. Sparky was making it very clear that she did not want to go with Shaq as he carried her out of rehab. What rehab center would just let this happen? I'm pretty sure if this happened in real life, the police would be called, and Shaq would get thrown into jail.

Now if things did happen in this movie as they do in real life, both Shaq and Judd Nelson would both be in prison, where they would create the Steel suit in order to escape. Nelson would die during the escape, and Shaq would then create more suits of armor. This movie could have been Iron Man, way before the Marvel Cinematic Universe!

• Like 1

BB8-Mockup.png

Same. That's really disappointing.

I think you all are looking at this the wrong way. While I agree these types of grammatical errors are a personal bugaboo of mine, what you're not considering is that if you can get one of these shirts before they are corrected, you will have an extremely rare piece of HDTGM memorabilia! One day, these shirts will be worth a fortune! Get one now!

• Like 3

I think you all are looking at this the wrong way. While I agree these types of grammatical errors are a personal bugaboo of mine, what your not considering is that if you can get one of these shirts before they are corrected, you will have an extremely rare piece of HDTGM memorabilia! One day, these shirts will be worth a fortune! Get one now!

you're :)

• Like 10

I think you all are looking at this the wrong way. While I agree these types of grammatical errors are a personal bugaboo of mine, what your not considering is that if you can get one of these shirts before they are corrected, you will have an extremely rare piece of HDTGM memorabilia! One day, these shirts will be worth a fortune! Get one now!

giphy.gif

• Like 10

The "are" comes after "you all." Just be glad he didn't go with the fun contraction "y'all're."

Edit: Never mind. You were talking about his use of "your," and I'm an idiot. Can't help ya there, Cameron.

• Like 3

ohh look the souffle is ready, and mamas got a classy new french restaurant. that's all I took away from this terrible movie.

• Like 3

ohh look the souffle is ready, and mamas got a classy new french restaurant. that's all I took away from this terrible movie.

A restaurant run out of her house. I think Steel 2 will be Grandma Steel vs. The Zoning Board.

• Like 3