🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 217.5 — Ask the UCB: Rules vs. No Rules w/ Ian Roberts (Pt. 2)

Recorded LIVE at UCB Sunset’s Inner Sanctum, Ian Roberts, co-founder of the Upright Citizens Brigade, continues with a lecture on the topic of “rules” vs. “no rules” in improv comedy. Ian speaks on improvising with different forms, the rules Del Close used to develop The Movie form, how certain rules of improv are applicable to sketch comedy, and much more. For more info, consult the UCB Comedy Improv Manual and check out part 1 of Ian's lecture here: http://www.earwolf.com/episode/ask-the-ucb-rules-vs-no-rules-w-ian-roberts-pt-1/.

This has been just fantastic. I've listened to both parts several times now. Thanks so much for uploading these, they're super helpful for people like me who don't have a lot of improv resources in my immediate area.

• Like 1

Agreed, it's really easy to enjoy listening to someone talk about their passion, and he's a good speaker.

In response to a question about the value of solo exercises, Ian talks briefly about using "flash" connotations to get to the game more quickly, then says he doesn't have time to go into it here. He does get into it here at about the 25 minute mark (although the whole interview is worth a listen):

http://perlstein.podbean.com/e/50-ian-roberts/

• Like 2

As someone who has zero interest in ever going into comedy or improv, I found these to be fantastic. There really is a lot of stuff that can be applied to throughout various areas of your life or work or whatever in general.

I will ask though... were the people asking the questions UCB students? If so, my god, I hope they're better at improv than speaking. It was like an NPR call-in show run amok. God bless the folks at UCB who have to handle shit like that regularly. I thought it was interesting to hear the different mentalities to it all as well, mainly due to generational differences it seemed like - the old school, straightforwardness of Roberts and the younger idea of "Well, I have this opinion, but you're right, too, and I don't really want to take a stand on it because that might be offensive to someone blah blah blah" (especially from Ptolemy).

But in the end, really, thanks for doing stuff like this. It makes me respect those involved with the theater that much more.

Sign in to follow this