🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 125.5 - Minisode 125.5

We're going from inner city superhero to a galaxy far, far away this Christmas for one of the best Holiday specials of all time. This week Paul goes through Corrections and Omissions for Steel and gives listeners very special recommendations in a Holiday Edition of Paul's Picks of the Week. Plus, Paul tells us the moment when he learned the truth about Santa and more as he answers your Qs!

Don’t forget to check out Blake Harris’ Oral History of Steel over at http://www.slashfilm...l-oral-history/!

People of the internet: Watch Paul in Fresh off the Boat on ABC and a while ago, Paul and Rob Huebel did a comedy special on a 60 foot glass bus that traveled around LA and now you’ll be able to see it. Go to https://itun.es/us/3M4J9 now to buy it! You can also see Jason in Transparent on Amazon and in The Night Before in a theater near you! Also, check out June in Grace and Frankie available on Netflix, and in all the episodes of NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU for free, and Jason in The Dictator (he’s still in it!).

• Like 1

I too think that liver is one of the grossest substances on Earth. My mom used to make me and my sister eat that shit, until one fateful day...

My parents split up when I was 14, at which point my sister and I became total latchkey kids, while mom started working alllllll the time. Anyway, she'd come home from work, at which point us kids were subjected to mom's dietary reign of terror that included all sorts of stuff that we hated that she absolutely loved. One night, she made liver, the worst of the worst, which neither of us wanted to touch. She knew we hated it and that we hated HER for bringing it into our home. However, tonight would be different. She would give us this ultimatum: If we ate it all, she would never make us eat it again. Sweet deal, right? We HAPPILY scarfed it down in record time, knowing that this would be the last time that we'd have to do so.

Fast forward a couple months. Mom gets home from work, we're starving, we're wondering what's for dinner. Mom says, "I'm making liver". I'm all, "But...I mean...you said...we...you promised...we ate it all last time...". She reiterated, "I'M making liver. If you'd like some, you can have some. If not, you don't have to eat it, but that's what I'M making."

That's the night that I learned how to make grilled cheese. I probably learned how to flip burgers a short time after that. Soon, I would become a master of throwing something on a cooking sheet, putting it in the oven for ten minutes, flipping it over, and then waiting another ten minutes. I don't think I've picked up a single additional cooking skill since about 1993, but that's how liver kinda sorta almost in a roundabout way made me semi-capable of being somewhat self-sufficient in the kitchen and has made me NOT die well into my thirties.

• Like 3

This was my face when I saw the episode description this week:

giphy.gif

I haven't seen this in its entirety since I tracked down a copy on VHS when I was in middle school (it came out just a couple years before I was born and was really hard to find pre-Internet). But this year, it was fucking EVERYWHERE. I went to a Star Wars pub quiz last weekend, and they played it on loop in the background. As part of the preshow at Alamo Drafthouse, they showed a bunch of clips. I'm not super-excited to watch this piece of garbage again, but I'm REALLY pumped to hear them talk about how clearly intoxicated Carrie Fisher is or how almost unrecognizable Mark Hamill is in a couple parts because of how much makeup they used to try and cover up the scars from his accident.

Also, George, sledgehammers aren't that expensive. And you just made $4.5 billion from Disney, bro. You can get a shitty sledgehammer for, like, $30, and a good one for about $150. That means Disney paid you 150,000 shitty sledgehammers or 30,000 good sledgehammers.

I want to know more about this "Flying High" show...

For real. I feel like the audio "trailer" that Paul played had way more info about Flying High than about the Christmas Special. And the whole time, I was thinking, "What could this be that was actually allowed on TV in 1978?"

• Like 5

As much as he wants to disown it, it had to kill Lucas to stop himself from going back and giving this one the Special Edition treatment. I mean, they wouldn't be JEFFERSON Starship for much longer, right? By the way, Jefferson Starship was the answer I kept getting in that "Which famous starship would YOU command?" quiz that was making the rounds on Facebook earlier this year.

• Like 3

2 things about this Star Wars Christmas Special:

• no one believes me when i say Itchy and Lumpy are Chewbacca's kids. (does this answer the question of a tree falling in the forest and no one is there to hear it since no one believes me in Chewey's kids names.)
  • Bon Jovi sings in the choir of "We wish you a Merry Christmas C3PO."

• Like 3

This is a joy that I've never been able to experience before and I'm now considering forcing my family to watch it on Christmas because...why not?

• Like 4

2 things about this Star Wars Christmas Special:

• no one believes me when i say Itchy and Lumpy are Chewbacca's kids. (does this answer the question of a tree falling in the forest and no one is there to hear it since no one believes me in Chewey's kids names.)
  • Bon Jovi sings in the choir of "We wish you a Merry Christmas C3PO."

Actually, everyone sort of knows that they were really Han's kids, but when Disney bought Lucasfilm, they were quick to sweep it under the rug. That's right, they went all "scorched Earth" on the extended universe just to cover up that ONE little controversy...

• Like 1

Actually, everyone sort of knows that they were really Han's kids, but when Disney bought Lucasfilm, they were quick to sweep it under the rug. That's right, they went all "scorched Earth" on the extended universe just to cover up that ONE little controversy...

Reminds me of when I heard they might be adapting the Old Man Logan storyline in the new Wolverine movie, and all I could think was "so how are they going to tastefully handle all of Bruce Banners inbred ancestors?"

• Like 3

Next Year they need to do Rudolph's Shiny New Year. It is still played on TV even though it is a piss poor performance perpetuated by a cash grab. IT is streaming on youtube currently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=codjYkolyb8

watch it before it is gone and lets get it done for the HDTGM 2016 holiday episode.

• Like 1

Also, if anyone's looking for some fun stuff on the Holiday Special til HDTGM one is up, Red Letter Media did a great review show for it last Christmas. This is part 2, if you like them I recommend watching part 1 first. It's mostly just a hilarious preamble, with the actual review in this video.

• Like 2

For the sake of continuity, should I watch the Christmas Special before I watch The Force Awakens? I don't want to feel like I'm missing out on something...

• Like 6

i lost all interest in star wars half way through phantom menace .. i haven't watched a second of star wars since but i just finished watching this and now im in a bad mood ... its awful. the noise through the whole thing drove me mad. its just 90 mins of wookie noises.

in saying that i cant wait to hear paul, jason and especially june have a conversation in wookie

also, this made me laugh ...

fdx36b.jpg

• Like 5

For the sake of continuity, should I watch the Christmas Special before I watch The Force Awakens? I don't want to feel like I'm missing out on something...

There's mention of someone being a boyfriend in "Force Awakens" that could annihilate this special's airtight continuity.

• Like 1

i lost all interest in star wars half way through phantom menace .. i haven't watched a second of star wars since but i just finished watching this and now im in a bad mood ... its awful. the noise through the whole thing drove me mad. its just 90 mins of wookie noises.

in saying that i cant wait to hear paul, jason and especially june have a conversation in wookie

also, this is made me laugh ...

fdx36b.jpg

I think Mark Hammill was Jason Voorhees's mother.

• Like 3

Gotta commend you for being willing to do this special. I couldn't even manage 10 minutes of it.

• Like 2

I think Mark Hammill was Jason Voorhees's mother.

He deinfitely looks like a girl in that GIF.

• Like 2

I think I'm just gonna listen to enough of the minisodes to hear what movie is next and leave it there from now on <_<

Also, if anyone's looking for some fun stuff on the Holiday Special til HDTGM one is up, Red Letter Media did a great review show for it last Christmas. This is part 2, if you like them I recommend watching part 1 first. It's mostly just a hilarious preamble, with the actual review in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW4m0oYK0WQ

Also, RiffTraxx did the Holiday Special a few years back. Not sure it's worth $10, but I heard it was pretty funny.

• Like 2

also, this is made me laugh ...

fdx36b.jpg

"do I look like that!!!"

That's Mark Hamill's reaction shot to looking into the mirror after his car accident and plastic surgery operation had gone horribly wrong, he was on a lot of pain killers at that moment in time. ;)

I've tried to watch the SW-CS about two or three times in my life. I've never yet gotten to the end. I would if you have to recommend just watch the Red Letter Media review and spare yourself alot of pain. Cameron H.

it's almost like Edward Wood Jr directed it, but not the early years Edward, the older years I need money for drugs years..

• Like 3

Good gravy I managed to make it this far in life having never seen the Holiday Special and until last week I hadn't seen Episode II which I only caved in and watched because it was an episode on We Hate Movies. What the fuck was George Lucas up to?

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW4m0oYK0WQ

The *spoiler heavy* Half In the Bag review of Star Wars: the Force Awakens is also pretty funny, if for no other reason than to hear Rich Evans as Chris Kringle wax poetic about employing "legless midgets" after their foster home burned down.

Wookies have some very rigid gender roles, guys. We need to discuss this.

Chewie's dad looks like a 50's movie monster. Also, he's short for a wookie, which might explain his tortured expression and ceaseless pantomime rage.

The weird Cirque De So-What hologram TV has two sets of 70's era audio cassette players side-by side.

Luke scene plays like a video you'd watch on line at Star Tours or something. Nobody on screen seems fully present- except for the bleeting wookies. They are in it to win it.

Lucas always disavows this thing and claims he had nothing to do with it, but after seeing the prequels, I'm certain he had some level of creative control. Some of the worst ideas in this seem very Phantom Menacy.

• Like 5