🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 125.5 - Minisode 125.5

Tried to watch this movie when I was in college with some friends & some beers. Even giving ourselves to the film 100% we could not get through even half of it. It's so painful.

There are LONG stretches of wookie-only dialogue with NO subtitles and barely any context clues. There's some pervert mind-song. There's lots of miserable actors saying lines. Everything I could say about it has already been said many times and will be said again, no doubt.

Good luck, anyone who attempts to actually watch this very special.

Next Year they need to do Rudolph's Shiny New Year. It is still played on TV even though it is a piss poor performance perpetuated by a cash grab. IT is streaming on youtube currently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=codjYkolyb8

watch it before it is gone and lets get it done for the HDTGM 2016 holiday episode.

That might awaken some latent stuff in EllenM.

I have to point out that Mentalfloss - TODAY - put up a making of the Holiday Special. I hope Paul gives it a skim, because it's got some crazy stuff. Like how writers who worked with Shields & Garnel -- mimes -- were brought in to deal with the Wookies since they couldn't speak (actually... kind of an inspired move on CBS' part). Or how the idea came about from a sketch on the Donnie & Marie show where they re-used some aliens from the Cantina scene. Or - my favorite bit:

"Ripps: Lucas told us Han Solo was married to a Wookiee but that we couldn’t mention that because it would be controversial."

I MEAN, WHAT!?!

Anyway, link right here: http://mentalfloss.c...holiday-special

Also a really great part? The ending line, lmao:

"Herman: The interesting thing is, the day after the special aired was the day of the Jonestown Massacre. It was just a bad time for everyone."

• Like 4

Also, RiffTraxx did the Holiday Special a few years back. Not sure it's worth $10, but I heard it was pretty funny.

Knowing how bad this was going to be, I went ahead and got the Rifftrax, and although it IS funny, I was still only able to get through about 45 minutes of this movie in my first sitting. I'm going to try and finish it tonight. This has to be the worst movie every done on HDTGM, right? I thanked the Force every time it went to a commercial break. There are only so many "geriatric Wookie jerking off to 70's soft rock" scenes a human brain can take before melting into a puddle of gray goop. Sure, it only happens once (as far as I know), but that is absolutely one time too many. There isn't enough soap in the world to make me feel clean again...

• Like 5

So, I've been having a think...

Since the Nic Cage segment has been retired, I've been trying to come up with suggestions for bits that can replace it, and I wanted to run this past you all.

What I want from a segment is something that encourages fan participation (especially in the forums) and I think I've come up with an idea that I feel could be a lot of fun (at least for a little while), that will encourage creativity, and may bring new people to the boards. The only downside I see at the moment is that it may create more work for Nate and the gang--although maybe some kind of voting system could help mitigate that.

The segment:

Paul's Perfect Pitch (I'm not married to that title, btw. I'm open to alternatives.)

To start, the bit would begin at the end of an episode with Paul giving the title of a made-up movie and one actor to star. Paul wouldn't have to provide this every time, just to get things going.

For example: Unnatural Frailty starring John Travolta.

Fans of the show would then come to a boards--in maybe a pinned thread created specifically for this purpose (I wouldn't want the main episode threads to get bogged down)--and using that title and actor, come up with a tag line and pitch for that movie, filling out the cast along the way. Either though voting or some other means, three pitches will be chosen to be read on the mini-episode with Paul making the final decision of which one gets "made." The person whose pitch gets green lit then "wins" the right to come up with the next movie title and actor. They will post it on the forums, and at the end of the next main episode, Paul will read the new movie title and actor.

Rules (I can only think of two at the moment, but maybe more need to be established.)

1) To keep the segment brief, pitches should be no more than one paragraph or about 150 words.

2) The "winner" cannot submit a pitch for their own "movie" as I feel like this would create an unfair advantage. Hopefully this rule will help prevent someone from running the board. Once their movie title has been used, they can rejoin the game.

What do you all think? It's entirely possible that such a game might only appeal to me, but I think it has the potential to be a lot of fun.

• Like 4

Would Jar Jar Binks have been better in this?

• Like 3

So, I've been having a think...

Since the Nic Cage segment has been retired, I've been trying to come up with suggestions for bits that can replace it, and I wanted to run this past you all.

What I want from a segment is something that encourages fan participation (especially in the forums) and I think I've come up with an idea that I feel could be a lot of fun (at least for a little while), that will encourage creativity, and may bring new people to the boards. The only downside I see at the moment is that it may create more work for Nate and the gang--although maybe some kind of voting system could help mitigate that.

The segment:

Paul's Perfect Pitch (I'm not married to that title, btw. I'm open to alternatives.)

To start, the bit would begin at the end of an episode with Paul giving the title of a made-up movie and one actor to star. Paul wouldn't have to provide this every time, just to get things going.

For example: Unnatural Frailty starring John Travolta.

Fans of the show would then come to a boards--in maybe a pinned thread created specifically for this purpose (I wouldn't want the main episode threads to get bogged down)--and using that title and actor, come up with a tag line and pitch for that movie, filling out the cast along the way. Either though voting or some other means, three pitches will be chosen to be read on the mini-episode with Paul making the final decision of which one gets "made." The person whose pitch gets green lit then "wins" the right to come up with the next movie title and actor. They will post it on the forums, and at the end of the next main episode, Paul will read the new movie title and actor.

Rules (I can only think of two at the moment, but maybe more need to be established.)

1) To keep the segment brief, pitches should be no more than one paragraph or about 150 words.

2) The "winner" cannot submit a pitch for their own "movie" as I feel like this would create an unfair advantage. Hopefully this rule will help prevent someone from running the board. Once their movie title has been used, they can rejoin the game.

What do you all think? It's entirely possible that such a game might only appeal to me, but I think it has the potential to be a lot of fun.

I like that. I think it's a fun game.

Possibly a simpler version for Paul and Co would be just to have us give alternate elevator pitches for the movie we watched that week (something we do occasionally already).

I think I like your idea better because it encourages participation in both the full ep and minisode threads. Maybe if the winner doesn't post a new title and actor, they could just do alternate pitches for the current movie or something so Paul doesn't have to come up with shit if people stop playing mid-game.

• Like 2

Weird coincidence that Paul picked "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer" as his worst Christmas song, because I heard it on the radio this morning and it was probably the first time I really listened to the lyrics in years (decades?). Does anyone else think that the implication is that Grandpa killed Grandma? No one else witnessed it, he's "taking it so well", and the alternative seems to be that Santa actually is real in the reality of this song (or maybe she was just trampled by a regular deer).

• Like 5

Weird coincidence that Paul picked "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer" as his worst Christmas song, because I heard it on the radio this morning and it was probably the first time I really listened to the lyrics in years (decades?). Does anyone else think that the implication is that Grandpa killed Grandma? No one else witnessed it, he's "taking it so well", and the alternative seems to be that Santa actually is real in the reality of this song (or maybe she was just trampled by a regular deer).

I think that's a very good possibility. I just read the lyrics, and it definitely raises some questions, but I don't know that we can point the finger squarely at Grandpa yet. From the sound of it, Grandma seems like she definitely had some issues, and there's no telling how many people wanted her dead. Nobody seems very broken up about it. Maybe Grandpa is just relieved to have her out of his life...

The line that gives me pause is "She had hoof prints on her forehead, and incriminating Claus marks on her back." I'm not saying if it was Santa Claus, Grandpa, or someone else, but this wasn't some simple Hit and Run, this was foul play!

giphy.gif

Personally, my least favorite is

• Like 4

The line that gives me pause is "She had hoof prints on her forehead, and incriminating Claus marks on her back."

In my half-awake, still-in-bed state, it took me a minute to decipher that brilliant bit of wordplay.

• Like 1

I think that my least favorite Christmas song is "Simply Having A Wonderful Christmas Time" probably mostly because of the laser sounding keyboards throughout the whole thing. Although, that Bieber/Busta Rhymes drummer boy cover that Paul mentioned a couple of years ago was pretty atrocious.

• Like 1

On the positive note, I love that such a strongly Atheist band does some really good Christmas covers:

• Like 1

I think that my least favorite Christmas song is "Simply Having A Wonderful Christmas Time" probably mostly because of the laser sounding keyboards throughout the whole thing. Although, that Bieber/Busta Rhymes drummer boy cover that Paul mentioned a couple of years ago was pretty atrocious.

I hate to admit it, but I think you're right. I'm such a die hard Beatles fan it's hard for me to admit that "Wonderful Christmastime" really isn't all that good.

As far as favorites, I can think of two that I really enjoy, but I'm sure there are others. For me, at this second, it would have to be "Fairytale of New York" by No Use for a Name (I really like the Pogues version as well, but I have more memories associated with this one) and "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/We Three Kings" by BNL and Sarah McLachlan.

• Like 2

WHAT.

THE.

FUCK.

IS.

THIS?

I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the Wookie civilization; but, this is bananas-stupid!

• Like 1

Is breá liom "If I Should Fall From Grace With God"

• Like 2

there can be only one .... version of fairytale of new york. as an irish man listening to any other version is close to blaspheme. this song is in our blood.

The Pogues one is definitely my favorite. However, I like the NUFAN one because I could be forced to only listen to anything Tony Sly for the rest of my life and be okay with it, and because it's one of the last good songs Cinder Block from Tilt appeared on before that band broke up.

On the positive note, I love that such a strongly Atheist band does some really good Christmas covers:

Not to be totally contrarian, but I really didn't like the Bad Religion Christmas album (even though I still love BR). It just felt like they sped up Christmas carols and didn't really add much to them.

"Fairytale of NY" is my favorite Christmas song, but "Oi! to the World" (original version, not the No Doubt bullshit) is my second favorite:

• Like 3

So...I made it though the Holiday Special last night, I'd say relatively unscathed, and all I have to say is at least Bea Arthur is in it.

Deadpool.(Wade.Wilson).full.1380929.jpg

And also, just to be clear, I love the Pogues! I meant no slight to either them or the good people of Ireland. Please forgive me, First Time Caller. We cool?

• Like 3

Personally, my least favorite is

I was actually going to link to this exact video because that is also my least favorite Christmas song! Thank the lord for Casey and Scott pointing out how damn creepy it really is.

Except I keep seeing people defend it saying shit like, "In the time it was written it was unacceptable for a woman to say yes to her suitor even if she wanted to so the whole song is a wink that she is still being 'proper' while wanting to give in to her actual desire to be with this man. Therefore this is not about rape," and just NO! That still gives an implication that when a woman is saying no what she really means is yes because it's not proper for her give in to what she really wants. It's still rapey.

/endrant

• Like 4

some of the links to the STAR WARS XMAS SPECIAL no longer work so I wanted to help out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMW4Ad8fIF4

this is the version I am watching with Redd Foxx.

Crazy question--although, maybe not too "crazy" when you think about it--but do you think George Lucas got the idea to make Luke and Leia brother and sister from watching this?

Also, people used to laugh at some pretty dumb shit.

Not to be totally contrarian, but I really didn't like the Bad Religion Christmas album (even though I still love BR). It just felt like they sped up Christmas carols and didn't really add much to them.

I see your point and I agree to some degree, but I feel like there are so many soft rock holiday songs out there that I am happy to have some with more bite. Plus I just am amused at the idea of BR singing "Glory to the newborn king"

• Like 1

Question for you all, has anyone watched any of the prequel fan edit versions? From everything that I have heard the no cheese edit is completely worth it.