🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Ofcoursemyhorse

The Score (2001)

I know this movie received good reviews when it came out, but I watched it recently and it really is something else.

The behind the scenes drama alone is pretty amazing. Marlon Brando called Frank Oz "Miss Piggy" throughtout filming before refusing to even be directed by him and instead having De Niro direct him during his scenes.

I also believe that Brando refused to wear pants during scenes which necessitated him being filmed only from the waist up.

Theres also Ed Nortons questionable role within a role in this movie as the simple janitor Danny.

I dont know.... Thoughts?

I liked this one despite a few plot holes in it. Wasn't this Brando's last live action role before he died? Either way he had long since checked out of his sanity by this point so any story about him is like when I hear a crazy story about Nic Cage, I just nod and say "sounds about right." Norton was good in both parts of his role as he didn't pull a Sean Penn or Cuba Gooding Jr., but I think this was the start of the phone it in version of De Niro that we now know and love.

• Like 1

Its a solid watch, and honestly I havent seen it since I rented it, so in my mind I see Ed Norton as being pretty fucking close to breaking Robert Downey Jr.'s rule. He just does so much blinking.

I do remember that I rented it alongside The Negotiator which I thought was a much more fun movie.

Its a solid watch, and honestly I havent seen it since I rented it, so in my mind I see Ed Norton as being pretty fucking close to breaking Robert Downey Jr.'s rule. He just does so much blinking.

I do remember that I rented it alongside The Negotiator which I thought was a much more fun movie.

Made it all the better on the reveal, though. Honestly, this may have been a poor film in a few regards, I haven't seen it since it was released. But I still remember how you could FEEL that security guard's (or whoever was mentoring Norton) soul being crushed. Brutal.

This movie was more tepid than trainwreck.

Besides, if they're going to do a late De Niro movie, they first must do Red Lights! Holy shit that movie is like 88 Minutes but even crazier.

Made it all the better on the reveal, though. Honestly, this may have been a poor film in a few regards, I haven't seen it since it was released. But I still remember how you could FEEL that security guard's (or whoever was mentoring Norton) soul being crushed. Brutal.

I would watch a sequel to this movie that is just about the janitors subsequent therapy sessions into why he no longer trusts people because of Danny's betrayal.

• Like 2

I would watch a sequel to this movie that is just about the janitors subsequent therapy sessions into why he no longer trusts people because of Danny's betrayal.

I wouldn't say people in general. Maybe he just never trusts mentally disabled people, because he assumes they're all lying about it. Maybe he like kidnaps them and tortures them into trying to do long division or something. I KNOW YOU'RE SMART, YOU SON OF A BITCH! He'd basically be Hugh Jackman in "Prisoners".

• Like 2

I wouldn't say people in general. Maybe he just never trusts mentally disabled people, because he assumes they're all lying about it. Maybe he like kidnaps them and tortures them into trying to do long division or something. I KNOW YOU'RE SMART, YOU SON OF A BITCH! He'd basically be Hugh Jackman in "Prisoners".

The real question is if Flowers for Algernon/Charly and Good Will Hunting are canon in his world, because those have to fuck with his head in a major way after the Norton reveal.

I imagine him obsessively watching movies like I am Sam trying to pick up the subtle clues of when a person is simply acting.

• Like 1

Have to bump this, theres not a chance in hell that this movie would have been as positively received if it was released today. The notion of a heist movie that has one of the main characters using intellectual disabilities as a ruse just seems wildly inappropriate. 

Also I just rewatched the trailer I posted at the top of the thread and realized how full of shit it was. Angela Bassett is in the movie for all of five minutes of combined screentime. She in no way participates in the heist and or has any involvement to the story other than she's Deniro's girlfriend. So to watch them cut that trailer into a way that makes her one of the team is so fucking crazy. 

Sign in to follow this