🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 126 - The Star Wars Holiday Special

I'm with you! Although I'm shipping specifically for either Finn/Poe or Finn/Poe/Rey. Rey/Finn or Rey/Poe doesn't really do it for me? Rey don't need no man!

Rey definitely don't need no man! I fuckin loved all the times that Finn would run to help her and then stop and be like nope she's got this okay.

Rey/Poe doesn't do it for me either. Rey/Finn and Finn/Poe though I am totally on board for lol. THEY BOTH JUST LOVE FINN SO MUCH! Still I'm convinced everyone loves each other and it's forever my OT3 now.

• Like 5

My co-worker got a Sphero BB8 and brought it to work. I don't see how anyone can find it anything but adorable.

• Like 5

Rey definitely don't need no man! I fuckin loved all the times that Finn would run to help her and then stop and be like nope she's got this okay.

YES. I was giddy every time Rey demonstrated her badassery, and am willing to overlook whatever qualms I have about going back to the A New Hope well for more Rey. Regardless, in Rian Johnson I trust.

Rey/Poe doesn't do it for me either. Rey/Finn and Finn/Poe though I am totally on board for lol. THEY BOTH JUST LOVE FINN SO MUCH! Still I'm convinced everyone loves each other and it's forever my OT3 now.

I honestly hope that none of these pairings happen, although the notion that Finn was programmed from childhood as a Stormtrooper and doesn't know who he wants to smooch on holds the most promise for a Finn/Poe relationship. The fanboys would destroy their computers in one giant Kylo Ren tantrum.

If the writers are going full-throttle "reimagining" of the original trilogy, the hero (Rey) is ultimately supposed to redeem the villain (Ren) in the third movie. Except, this time, they're both sexy young Force users who could theoretically end up a couple afterward. I also hope they don't do this, because Rey is better than your average Manic Wookiee Dream Girl.

• Like 4

If the writers are going full-throttle "reimagining" of the original trilogy, the hero (Rey) is ultimately supposed to redeem the villain (Ren) in the third movie. Except, this time, they're both sexy young Force users who could theoretically end up a couple afterward. I also hope they don't do this, because Rey is better than your average Manic Wookiee Dream Girl.

Based on a theory that I have (that like Cameron I don't know if I want to discuss because of possible spoilers but I'm sure everyone else has the same theory) I really hope that Rey and Kylo Ren don't go down that road.

• Like 1

100% :)

1f3.png

LOL--no, but I'd love to see another Holiday Special with these characters and Lumpy's triumphant return!

I watched The Phantom Edit yesterday (I think Lando had brought it up in the mini-sode thread), and while it can't fix issues like poor acting and bad dialog, it makes for a much more coherent story. If you are ever going to re-visit those movies, I highly recommend it.

i sure hope that's not in the force awakens.

I love the phantom edit. if you can find the

- DESPECIALIZED EDITION REMASTERED (v2.5) your in for a real treat. it's got all of the errors and per-lucas not so spacial edition crap removed. I love this project because it shows that a team of fans can do what a major hollywood studio can't do. and in this version Luke does say Carrie when he gets out of his Xwing tie fighter. it's funny you know because star wars 1 2 3 could of been so much worse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3lbWba7xjQ

There was a idea at one time to have luke and Leia show up in episode three as children. Now that i think about it one two and three don't really work with episode four. like case in point, how is it that Anakin even know he's got children? and why is darth Vader not surprised by someone else having the force when he goes to shoot skywalkers Xwing Tie-figher.

Lot of nitpicky questions now haunt me, this is why I haven't seen force awakens yet because I suffer dearly from post Star wars anxiety stress disorder. sadly I didn't get the electroshock treatment therapy in time to get those movies out of my head. you only get a 6 month window to remove memory's.so fro me there is only three movies ever made.

it's no

. <-- please watch the clip before you comment, this is prlceless.

I am not sure if this is better then Starwars empire,

wait tell ya you read John Simon review of 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY [1968] "The slab is never explained, leaving 2001, for all of its lively visual and mechanical spectacle, a kind of space-Spartacus and, more pretentious still, a shaggy God story."

I wounder what he thinks of the wizard of oz.. I so got to know.

it's no

. <-- please watch the clip before you comment, this is prlceless.

"These are the sorts of movies the Disney people should be making."

Good call, Mr Ebert.

• Like 1

"These are the sorts of movies the Disney people should be making."

Good call, Mr Ebert.

Isn't that just shocking to see.

I wounder if he thinks the apple is a good movie..

"the apple is a delicious tale filled up with sweet delightful musical bliss"John Simon

i sure hope that's not in the force awakens.

Spoiler alert everyone makes out with each other for over 2 hours.

• Like 5

Spoiler alert everyone makes out with each other for over 2 hours.

its-too-hot_thumb.gif

• Like 6

I myself enjoyed the Force Awakens, despite a couple small gripes I had near the end of the film, and I can't wait to see what they do with the eighth episode. I thought Poe ended up as sort of a Wedge Antilles type character in that you'd thought he'd have a bigger role, especially considering they had Oscar Isaac playing him when his career has been on the upswing. I'm still on the fence about Finn as a character because I don't know where they are taking him. At one point he plays up conflicted emotions and wants to actually do right in the world, while the next scene he's acting like a stereotypical extra from a Fast and Furious movie.

I won't use the spoiler tags for this, but what is the call on fan theories being deemed spoilers? I know Cameron H. and Taylorannphoto have expressed fear that their theories on the next movie could be perceived as spoilers, but can you spoil something that at this point is just a thought? I think one of the good things about the new Star Wars was the fact it raised a lot of questions and you could just sit around with friends and have "Do you think that... Who was... What's going to happen to..." type discussions. However, I've seen on this forum and other places and podcasts people not wanting to speculate about the next movie out of fear of it being a spoiler for the next movie. Sometimes something is obvious but you missed it, and sometimes hearing other people's theories make you go back and watch the movie in a different way, so I'm fine with hearing those things and don't think it's a spoiler until it's filmed and picture locked. Just curious what others thought about this.

• Like 2

Everybody is all about Fin and Poe but what about the other love story?

Star-Wars-7-BB-8-with-Poe-Dameron.jpg

Where is the fan art of this?

• Like 5

Star wars anxiety stress disorder is no joke people and it's all talked about on this

Life Day can be a very stressful time of the year, and I feel we've all lost track of the true meaning of Life Day. it's not about the presents or the food, it's about spending that time with that special wookie we all know and love.

Princess leia got it right when she said in her very inspirational speech "this holiday is yours!"

and when you take that special elder wookie aside and show him the video from Diahann Carroll. you're saying good job old man. it may not seem like much to us but it's means so much more to them.

• Like 3

I have a bad feeling that Poe is going to get hurt by BB-8, mainly because Oscar Isaac's track record with robots is not that great, neither is Domhnall Gleeson's.

• Like 6

tumblr_o03xfjMOi61sn3e24o1_500.jpg

But personally, I prefer...

tumblr_nnuh4eov5i1rytkhdo2_r1_500.png

Or...

tumblr_nzybchemS11r2gmgko1_500.jpg

• Like 5

To be fair, EVERYONE loves BB-8.

And if you don't, you're probably dead inside.

• Like 5

I won't use the spoiler tags for this, but what is the call on fan theories being deemed spoilers? I know Cameron H. and Taylorannphoto have expressed fear that their theories on the next movie could be perceived as spoilers, but can you spoil something that at this point is just a thought? I think one of the good things about the new Star Wars was the fact it raised a lot of questions and you could just sit around with friends and have "Do you think that... Who was... What's going to happen to..." type discussions. However, I've seen on this forum and other places and podcasts people not wanting to speculate about the next movie out of fear of it being a spoiler for the next movie. Sometimes something is obvious but you missed it, and sometimes hearing other people's theories make you go back and watch the movie in a different way, so I'm fine with hearing those things and don't think it's a spoiler until it's filmed and picture locked. Just curious what others thought about this.

For me personally when it comes to this topic, and it's the reason why I didn't participate in any theorizing here before TFA came out, it's because I like to go into Star Wars completely blind. It's how I watched them as a kid and there wasn't my cousins sitting next to me telling me before I saw Empire Strikes Back that they believed that Darth Vader is actually Luke's dad. They didn't know anymore than I did but it would have definitely not been as groundbreaking even in my little mind as it was if I went in thinking that was already a possibility. Of course I have my own theories about things, but with this new internet age everyone starts to think that they must get out everything they think about a movie all the time. And while it is totally fun to discuss things you think about with your friends (which I totally did as we walked back to our cars after seeing it opening night and it's always fun discussing things with y'all here) for some reason hearing every single theory out there just kinda ruins the experience for me. I just don't want too much clouding my perception of the films before I go in to them. Plus if I see a theory I really like (like all the shipping stuff) and it doesn't happen of course I'm gonna be disappointed because expectations always lead to some kind of disappointment. It's just inevitable and I really don't want to be disappointed by one of the first things I was ever obsessed with in my life.

There's a good chance that none of this makes any sense at all, but basically the tl;dr version is that sometimes theories lead to expectations and expectations lead to disappointment and no thank you on that front lol.

• Like 2

Hey Paul,

I'm sure you've been made aware of this by a billion nerds already, but The Holiday Special is unfortunately not canon. I know this because I worked for a brief period with a company that makes Star Wars-skinned board games and every tiny detail was carefully vetted by Lucas/Disney.

Many of us working on the game would talk about the gloriousness that is this special, and as such we tried our best to sneak in references to it in the game. But, alas, even a cursory mention of Life Day in the flavor text didn't make it past Lucas/Disney's ever-watchful eye. So, no matter how bad we want it, Bea Arthur's next appearance in the Star Wars Universe is likely far, far away.

• Like 1

Did anyone else notice that C-3PO was blinking in the cartoon? This was so weird. I mean, he's a droid, right? He essentially has cameras for eyes. Why would he be blinking? The live action C-3PO didn't blink. It's not a goof- like if an actor's blinking eyes were showing up behind a robot mask- this was a cartoon. Every blink was a deliberate choice by the animator.

I guess animating on a diet of blow and quaaludes doesn't work.

• Like 5

Did anyone else notice that C-3PO was blinking in the cartoon? This was so weird. I mean, he's a droid, right? He essentially has cameras for eyes. Why would he be blinking? The live action C-3PO didn't blink. It's not a goof- like if an actor's blinking eyes were showing up behind a robot mask- this was a cartoon. Every blink was a deliberate choice by the animator.

Oh man I actually did forget to talk about that! It was so weird not only because he was blinking but the eye lids were sideways! So are they trying to tell us that C3PO would have alien like eyes if he could in fact blink?

He's a damn robot built by humans those animators must seriously have been just drugged out of their minds to think that was something so worthwhile.

Also, speaking of the animation, I'm really happy they mentioned briefly that Han's face was just the worst thing to look at, but I find it kind of upsetting that Boba Fett was talking the whole time. Yeah this was his first introduction so the whole silent thing really wasn't a factor (actually had to be reminded of that by my mother when I complained about this at Christmas) but damn I really didn't like that. It would have been hilarious for a silent type and a wookie to have an adventure. So then just like the rest of the whole special no one would have had a clue what was going on.

• Like 2

For me personally when it comes to this topic, and it's the reason why I didn't participate in any theorizing here before TFA came out, it's because I like to go into Star Wars completely blind. It's how I watched them as a kid and there wasn't my cousins sitting next to me telling me before I saw Empire Strikes Back that they believed that Darth Vader is actually Luke's dad. They didn't know anymore than I did but it would have definitely not been as groundbreaking even in my little mind as it was if I went in thinking that was already a possibility. Of course I have my own theories about things, but with this new internet age everyone starts to think that they must get out everything they think about a movie all the time. And while it is totally fun to discuss things you think about with your friends (which I totally did as we walked back to our cars after seeing it opening night and it's always fun discussing things with y'all here) for some reason hearing every single theory out there just kinda ruins the experience for me. I just don't want too much clouding my perception of the films before I go in to them. Plus if I see a theory I really like (like all the shipping stuff) and it doesn't happen of course I'm gonna be disappointed because expectations always lead to some kind of disappointment. It's just inevitable and I really don't want to be disappointed by one of the first things I was ever obsessed with in my life.

There's a good chance that none of this makes any sense at all, but basically the tl;dr version is that sometimes theories lead to expectations and expectations lead to disappointment and no thank you on that front lol.

I totally get where you're coming from and agree with a lot of it. Slightly related/unrelated story. I work with young children and there is one boy who is six and for the last two years has been obsessed with Star Wars. He runs around trying to force lightning or force choke everybody all day. Anyway, one day he asked me what my favourite Star Wars movie was. I told him it was Empire but he said he hadn't seen that one yet and asked me what happens. I give him a simple overview and say that Luke and Vader fight. He he asked me who wins and I told him he'd have to watch it. He said that he knows Vader wins and tells him he is his dad. When I asked how he knows he said that his parents told him after they watched A New Hope and he was asking about Luke. I found this very sad that especially at that age with him so much into it what a loss it was not seeing that moment and being in shock. Hopefully Lucas Films/Disney will be as tight lipped with the next one as they were with this one.

Also, now that I think about the shipping, do you think that anybody after A New Hope was shipping Han and Luke like they are Fin and Poe?

• Like 2

Now that you mention it he use to blink all the time on Droids as well.

• Like 2

It's how I watched them as a kid and there wasn't my cousins sitting next to me telling me before I saw Empire Strikes Back that they believed that Darth Vader is actually Luke's dad.

He said that he knows Vader wins and tells him he his dad.

SPOILER ALERTS FOR EMPIRE STRIKES BACK!

• Like 4