🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 220 — The Milk Carton Kids: The Musical Element

Singer-songwriters Kenneth Pattengale and Joey Ryan together are The Milk Carton Kids and this week they join Mary Holland, Matt Newell, and Seth Morris for another musical edition of improv4humans with Matt Besser! The Milk Carton Kids play us some select tracks off of their many albums that will inspire scenes about a new dog who learns how to fit in, heaven being much like life on Earth, and the incredible lengths a group of kids go to find out what kind of jean shorts a lady in their neighborhood is wearing. Make sure to get the Upright Citizens Brigade television show season 3 now available on DVD, the UCB Comedy Improv Manual, and pick up The Milk Carton Kids music at www.themilkcartonkids.com!

Not only are The Milk Carton Kids talented musicians, but their chemistry is absolutely hilarious. I'd like to see them back here, soon! Like, next week! Easily a Top 5 episode! Endless gushing!!!

• Like 1

"You want to go to hell? ...Say the N word."

I laughed so much my office mates thought I was crying.

• Like 4

Lol at Seth after the first song: "I didn't know we were listening to dead dog songs."

And great episode! The Jean Shorts and Heaven scenes are already future potential Best Of material. So good.

• Like 2

Also, since I'm not really a Trekkie, Patrick Stewart will always be Professor Xavier to me.

"You want to go to hell? ...Say the N word."

I laughed so much my office mates thought I was crying.

Classic Besser. I also loved that Seth tried to turn the tables on him.

• Like 2

It's episodes like this that make me disregard any "Best Podcasts of 20**" lists that fail to mention I4H.

If I had an I4H musical guest wish for 2016 it might just be a Milk Carton Kids & Dan Deacon live in the studio collaboration.

It bothers me that the whole convention of "the callback" makes it impossible to clip Improv4Humans into a "Best of" format without losing what makes it funny.

That's okay though. This episode was fucking great. Improv4Humans is fucking great.

It makes me sad that "Are those Bugle Boy Jeans you're wearing" isn't a reference anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSCuBANoaLc

• Like 1

the insanity, looseness and crazy transitions gave this the vibe of a 420 ep.

brilliant.

• Like 2

Great episode

That one dude just keeps shitting on his bandmate... I don't get it. He was just being mean to Joey. I can't tell if he was trying to be funny: "were it not for me he would not have accomplished anything" .... wtf? Jesus dude... That's your bandmate you're talking about. And then a bunch more times again later on... Dude was a straight up ass hole. Really awkward to listen to at parts. Especially since Joey actually seemed smarter than he was.

Other than that it was a great episode. I find Seth and Mary work particularly well together (but then again, they are two of my favorite improvisers of all time).

Funniest musical guests that have ever been on

• Like 1

people who are too literal minded may have some problems with a sardonic wit, and I4H for that matter.

• Like 1

That one dude just keeps shitting on his bandmate... I don't get it.

Might want to skip the Armen/Besser Who Charted episode and Whiplash.

• Like 3

Might want to skip the Armen/Besser Who Charted episode and Whiplash.

This was nothing like that... If that was supposed to be a joke it was a shitty one. The fact that he was trying to be funny was what made it so awkward. Guest trying really hard to be funny but then just coming off as a prick. Those episodes were classic, I'm aghast that you would compare this asshole to that. You really couldn't hear the void of laughter / nervous forced laughs coming from the improvisers? You actually think this compared to Besser's character? Pretty offensive to Besser's skill... That guy should stick to music.

Mary Holland killed it in this episode from the Shakespeare line to baby talking Seth in heaven to grandma stuck in the internet

And Seth's "asiago taint" slip... Jesus

Also, that one smarmy Milk Carton Kid getting shot down on Gallagher 2 was great.

This was nothing like that... If that was supposed to be a joke it was a shitty one. The fact that he was trying to be funny was what made it so awkward. Guest trying really hard to be funny but then just coming off as a prick. Those episodes were classic, I'm aghast that you would compare this asshole to that. You really couldn't hear the void of laughter / nervous forced laughs coming from the improvisers? You actually think this compared to Besser's character? Pretty offensive to Besser's skill... That guy should stick to music.

I respect your willingness to throw an "aghast" in there.

Loved this episode and the Milk Carton kids. I hope they come back with their instruments next time, but they were fun to have in studio anyway. I love how much Kenneth shits on Joey and his stupid jean shorts. Also, Mary is that much more adorable for crying over the dog memoirs song.

I'm constantly surprised by how much new music I'm discovering by listening to an improv comedy podcast. I really just want to browse Besser's CD collection.

Sorry I'm late to this thread. I was busy during the holidays, but I'll try not to be late to complain about musical episode in the future.

Especially since Joey actually seemed smarter than he was.

AKA "he agreed with my opinions more than the other one"...

In all honesty that guy made me uncomfortable, too. I felt like I was listening to the band breaking up on air. Both of them seemed really uncomfortable on mic.

Is this the group that inspired that bit in the Christmas Carol about a band showing up without their instruments? I know this was released after that one but I can't think of another group that did the same thing.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this