🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 41 - Pet Store, Post Robbery

Paul F. Tompkins wishes all of you here and in heaven a Happy New Year and a grand return to SPONTANEANATION! This week, Paul’s special guest is humorist David Rees of Going Deep with David Rees! They chat about the best gift David's ever given, the extreme cuteness of David's baby brother, and David's strange high school secret. Paul is then joined by Shulie Cowen, Jean Villepique, and Chris Tallman to improvise a story set in a Pet Store, Post Robbery. And as always, Eban (only the best) Schletter scores it all on piano!

LIVE episodes of SPONTANEANATION return to Largo on The Coronet on Saturday, February 6, 2016! Get your tickets now: bit.ly/SPONT0216

Between the monologue, the interview, the ad, and the improv, that makes four references to abusive relationships, none of which were a bummer, so good job, show? One of the weirder compliments I've given a podcast, but I stand by it.

David's secret band story was amazing!! Because it was a long time ago and he felt remorse about it, I mean. If he were doing this now, I'd be concerned he was crazy. And bad at secrets. But PFT's hysterical reaction was one of the greatest moments of this show!

I can't even pick a favourite part of the improv! The Irish and/or ghost secret cops, the strangely literate and precocious child gang, the people freaked out by the snake, the talking animals!

#SixSeasonsAndAMovie!

• Like 5

Probably my favourite episode yet. I just got caught up on Going Deep, and was wondering if Rees was going to be on the show.

It's worth checking out if you haven't seen it; PFT is in two of the episodes (the signature and toast ones),

The official lyrics to the Spontaneanation theme song:

The challenge that lays before our eyes

We rise to greet a brand new morning

We fight and rise and fight and greet a new day's morn

And that is how you get to Carnegie Hall.

• Like 6

The official lyrics to the Spontaneanation theme song:

The challenge that lays before our eyes

We rise to greet a brand new morning

We fight and rise and fight and greet a new day's morn

And that is how you get to Carnegie Hall.

I feel like I'm missing a reference, but I like it.

I feel like I'm missing a reference, but I like it.

The last line is a real old school joke

Q: How do you get to Carnegie Hall?

A: Practice!

The rest is just make-em-ups, I believe. Our Spontaneanational anthem.

• Like 1

U Talkin' Vigilantism 2 Me?

Shulie Cowen has the best little kid voice ever!

And Paul is #2, so any episode that has both of them as little kids is an automatic hit for me.

• Like 2

David's secret band story was amazing!! Because it was a long time ago and he felt remorse about it, I mean. If he were doing this now, I'd be concerned he was crazy. And bad at secrets. But PFT's hysterical reaction was one of the greatest moments of this show!

It reminded me a lot of Melanie Lynskey's story about her secret best friend. Childhood friendships are often totally one-sided and "abusive" (in the way that David described it), and there's something about those kinds of stories that really crack me up.

I was enjoying the interview before his story, but I was thinking, "Man, it's a testament to Paul and his guests that even when an interview isn't funny, they can make it really interesting and engaging." Then the secret band story started, and my opinion clearly changed.

And after Paul's brief story about Eban's childhood and his sister dictating what he could like, I really wish Eban could be a guest.

• Like 4

And after Paul's brief story about Eban's childhood and his sister dictating what he could like, I really wish Eban could be a guest.

Because there's no music during the interview segment, I think there's no reason why he couldn't. It might be weird, but it would be great! Maybe the ancient curse that prohibits Eban from speaking is lifted only on the solstice or some shit.

• Like 6

And Paul is #2, so any episode that has both of them as little kids is an automatic hit for me.

I think the first time I heard PFT do the little kid voice was an episode of Thrilling Adventure Hour where he plays Frank Doyle as a kid. It's my favorite episode of Beyond Belief. I think it's called "Wishing Hell."

• Like 1

HEY, I'M A BIRD! WHAT ARE WE TALKING ABOUT?

David Rees having some kind of emotional/moral breakthrough while discussing his teenage behavior was amazing to hear.

• Like 3

Like some of you guys I loved the kid voices, but in my books the Irish accents were a petite miracle.

It almost sounded like David Rees started to cry near the end of the interview, or at least was very overwhelmed with emotion. Like Tallman said, the whole thing was fascinating.

I agree with Fister Roboto that an episode with Eban as the guest would be amazing.

I learned about Chekhov's gun from Don DiMello.

That's pretty deep; I'm gonna remember that you said that.

• Like 3

HEY, I'M A BIRD! WHAT ARE WE TALKING ABOUT?

Big Dumb Bird has always been my favorite No, You Shut Up! character

• Like 3

Because there's no music during the interview segment, I think there's no reason why he couldn't. It might be weird, but it would be great! Maybe the ancient curse that prohibits Eban from speaking is lifted only on the solstice or some shit.

I sent Paul a tweet a while ago about this idea, and maybe i didnt get a reply because I'm a lowly astromech droid and can't roll out of anywhere, I just do mall security. It would be so great to have him be interviewed. He is second in command of the show, and I think that's what the listeners deserve. YOU HEAR ME PAUL? MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Sorry for yelling Paul, I love you.

Beep Boop,

Blart2D2

• Like 2

The David Rees secret band story is amazing. As a child he was like a mixture of Captain Beefheart and Robert Pollard. I want to hear those songs.

"You married somebody who dated someone before you... How do you feel about THAT?!"

Completely lost it there! Loved this ep to pieces.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this