🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 127 - Kazaam: LIVE!

LIVE from Largo in Los Angeles, Kay Cannon of Pitch Perfect and 30 Rock joins Paul, Jason, and June to discuss Shaquille O’Neal as the one and only rapping genie in the 1996 film Kazaam. They’ll cover everything from what Max's dad really does, whether a genie can ask another genie for a wish, and the tale of how Kazaam was born. Plus, everyone talks about the movie calling Jesus a genie during Audience Q&A!

Attention: The Crash Test special that Paul & Rob Huebel performed on a 60 foot glass bus is coming to Comedy Central on January 23rd. Set your DVRs!

Don’t forget to check out Blake Harris' Oral History of Kazaam over at www.slashfilm.com!

Get yourself a BB-8 “What Is Its Mission?” T-shirt or Tote Bag over at http://howdidthisgetmade.bigcartel.com/!

People of the internet: Watch Paul in Fresh off the Boat on ABC and a while ago, Paul and Rob Huebel did a comedy special on a 60 foot glass bus that traveled around LA and now you’ll be able to see it. Go to https://itun.es/us/3M4J9 now to buy it! You can also see Jason in Transparent on Amazon and in Sleeping With Other People on iTunes! Also, check out June in Grace and Frankie available on Netflix, and in all the episodes of NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU for free, and Jason in The Dictator (he’s still in it!).

• Like 1

Great episode. And I'm so glad that when the audience member asked about replacing Shaq with another 90s basketball star, Jason said Larry Bird. Because my first thought was of Nick Kroll's Larry Bird, which is what they should use to remake this movie.

• Like 12

Damnit, I had hoped to watch Kazaam before the episode dropped but no dice.

• Like 4

Omission. They didn't bring up that they just had to cram in some basketball in that Kazaam bizarrely chose to dispatch Malik by turning him into a ball and dunking him down a trash chute.

And the weird little tie in that when Asia was reporting to Malik what she discovered about Kazaam (over their breakfast date??) she said he went to LSU.

Going back to Malik's death I felt bad for the medical investigator who would have to write up the report on a human found turned into a sphere.

• Like 4

I got the impression in the movie that this bootleg concert CD was a scam they had been running for some time. But isn't that the kind of thing that can only work once? Other artists would say "Oh you are the club that leaks out board recorded concerts onto the black market. I think we'll go play down the street instead."

And the club itself has no backstage for the performers? When Kazaam was taking his break and they were futilely trying to towel him off he had just barely stepped offstage and was still completely surrounded by fans.

When Klass K was performing and the guest rapper came in with his verse one of his rhymes was "Mr. Material Eat No Cereal."

• Like 6

Great episode!

I know it's not a huge plot point or anything, but I had a real problem with the breakfast scene where Shaq tries to pass himself off as a tutor for Max. Not only does he provide an explanation for each of his names, which I feel should be pretty big red flag that someone is not who they claim to be, but he doesn't even take the care to make sure his facts are straight. He tells Max's mom his name is "'Jefferson' for he who framed our fine Constitution..." Um, no movie, you're wrong. While Jefferson certainly may have had some input in it's creation, James Madison, wildly regarded as the "Father of the Constitution," should get more of the credit for it's drafting. I think what you meant to say is, "Declaration of Independence" which--as a document about breaking free from tyrannical subjugation--would actually be thematically relevant in a movie where a genie is trying to escape his servitude to a piece of shit little kid.

I think this line particularly bugged me because this movie places so much emphasis on Max going to school and doing his homework--Kazaam's disguise is as "Max's tutor" after all. It sounds like everyone involved in the making of this movie could have really used a Billy Madison-style refresher on elementary school level American History.

• Like 8

Started to listen to the ep but haven't watched the movie yet...think I'll do that this weekend and finish.

BUT I have to say something. I've had a super shitty week. It's been tough. But damned if the show didn't pick my spirits up like crazy. Zouks coming out and saying "MERRY CHRISTMAS ASSHOLES!" made me laugh uncontrollably and I realized how happy you guys make me.

Sorry for the sap, just had to say it.

• Like 10

Great episode. And I'm so glad that when the audience member asked about replacing Shaq with another 90s basketball star, Jason said Larry Bird. Because my first thought was of Nick Kroll's Larry Bird, which is what they should use to remake this movie.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=b5kaRbokoo8

God, I love that sketch.

"Make no mistake Magic Johnson, I will fucking end you."

• Like 2

Listening to this now and am shocked in the discussion of Max that no one brought up that Francis Capra grows up to become a gang leader Weevil Navarro on "Veronica Mars." Perhaps the genie showering in front of him was what lead him to kill that other guy in the stadium explosion.

He was also in "Crank" so that means he's been in two HDTGM episodes. Add him to the faves, people!

Credit-Where-Credit-s-Due-1x02-eli-weevil-navarro-24902922-853-4801.jpg

ETA my apologies, Paul did briefly mention VMars in the talk of what he looks like now. But he was a series regular! And when that [spoiler thing] happened in the movie, that was straight up harrowing.

Anyway, I still blame Shaq for Weevil's life of crime. I think it was a Woody Goodman situation, if you know what I mean.

• Like 6

Was I the only one to get a wee bit uncomfortable at the joking about Paul Michael Glasers film dedication and the quip about the film being an apology for being a bad father? The tragic fate of his wife and daughters even made the papers here in the UK at the time. So I thought that someone from the States, and especially someone in the Hollywood world might know of it. But apart from that an enjoyable episode and I've enjoyed both the last two even though to someone growing up over here in the 70s, Paul Michael Glaser is a bit of a legend and aside from occasionally hearing the name I wouldnt know Shaqueal O'Neal from Alexander O'Neal. Though if Shaqueal really is 7' 6", I reckon I could hazard a guess.

Listening to this now and am shocked in the discussion of Max that no one brought up that Francis Capra grows up to become a gang leader Weevil Navarro on "Veronica Mars." Perhaps the genie showering in front of him was what lead him to kill that other guy in the stadium explosion.

He was also in "Crank" so that means he's been in two HDTGM episodes. Add him to the faves, people!

You are my best friend for pointing this out! I have a huge love for Veronica Mars and this was on my mind the second I found out it was Francis Capra!

• Like 1

OH JASON THANK YOU!! I always talk about the brother from Teen Witch cause the character is absolutely ridiculous I cant believe Jason brought him up and yes please do Teen Witch! Great ep!

• Like 1

My favourite weird subplot that never led to anything was Max's seemingly genius mechanical abilities. He takes the motor out of his mom's vacuum to tinker with, builds a light up star scene in his room, and somehow wires and lights an entire abandoned warehouse he likes to hang out in. Yet he knows nothing about science and is so bad at school that his mother doesn't bat an eye at the thought of the inner city school sending over a tutor because he's doing so poorly. What does any of this have to do with the movie? Nothing at all.

• Like 3

I JUST GOT TO THIS PART AND JASON YOU BETTER NOT BE JOKING BECAUSE Y'ALL NEED TO DO TEEN WITCH

tumblr_md542mG5451r4alnuo1_500.gif

• Like 3

If Jesus was a genie too, does that mean that Kazaam was ALSO created by the "Prometheus" Engineers, and is it HIS death that they were going to return to Earth to avenge before Idris Elba made the ship crash on takeoff?

• Like 3

I know this was touched upon in the episode a few times, but I still do not and cannot understand why Max loved his father so much. From what we know when Max was two the father left and has not been by or seen Max since. The mom after being separated for ten years and being out of contact with him for a majority of that decides she wants to move on and divorce him. Would a 12 year old remember anything about being 2? I highly doubt that he would remember anything about him, but may have a desire to meet him. When he finally does meet his father, he can't get his father to acknowledge him or recognize who he is. It's not the until the second time in which Max has to tell him who he is that the father is warm and kind. That's the only time the father is this way too until the very end of the movie. After that he yells at people harshly in front of him, beats up people in front of him, yells at him and tells him to f off, and then tries to kidnap him and assault him after school. Yet Max still loves this guy more than his mom and wants to be with him and give him a second chance. Why? Shouldn't he be afraid and scared of him by this point? Also it seems he wants his dad to have a second chance to be back part of his life, and when his father does get that is when he decides "Yeah I want this fireman to now be my dad too." None of this makes any sense to me. Granted my parents never separated, and I never had to deal with step parents or not being to see my birth parents while growing up. I don't know if that was the case if this would make Max and his motivations and more clear or easier to understand. I could understand his desire to be with him and for his parents to get back together if the father left when he was like 8 or so, but he never met the man and he was never part of his life.

• Like 1

OH JASON THANK YOU!! I always talk about the brother from Teen Witch cause the character is absolutely ridiculous I cant believe Jason brought him up and yes please do Teen Witch! Great ep!

I JUST GOT TO THIS PART AND JASON YOU BETTER NOT BE JOKING BECAUSE Y'ALL NEED TO DO TEEN WITCH

What is this Teen Witch and is there any relation to Sabrina?

What is this Teen Witch and is there any relation to Sabrina?

Oh man everyone needs to know about Teen Witch. It might have been an inspiration for Sabrina but it doesn't technically have anything to do with it. This stars Blake Lively's older sister Robin Lively and is just one of the worst movies I have ever seen and yet this scene alone (as Jason said) makes just about everything turn into total greatness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksBE53CIT8E

• Like 8

According to IMDB, Efren Ramirez, ALSO of the "Crank" films, appeared in "Kazaam" as well as a character named "Carlos"

• Like 3

Oh man everyone needs to know about Teen Witch. It might have been an inspiration for Sabrina but it doesn't technically have anything to do with it. This stars Blake Lively's older sister Robin Lively and is just one of the worst movies I have ever seen and yet this scene alone (as Jason said) makes just about everything turn into total greatness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksBE53CIT8E

IkeaAmazed.gif

I know what movie I need to watch next.

• Like 8

What is the setup of Max's school? He is 12 so can't be past 7th grade. Some of his bullies are shown driving so they are presumably at least 16 (unless they are doubling down on being scofflaws). Is this a combined junior high and high school? That seems like a bad setup for the younger kids. I say the real villain of this movie is the school board.

• Like 4

"

My Kazaam rap name obviously would be Jinnuwine"

Hate to nitpick, but it would be 'Djinnuwine'.

• Like 6