🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 127 - Kazaam: LIVE!

Why didn't the teacher notice Max teleporting, out of no where, when Kazaam sent him back to school? The room's, which appeared to be on at least the second floor, door was right near the blackboard which the teacher was at. There would have been no way Max could of got to the desk, however the teacher acts like absolutely nothing out of the ordinary. She just gave him detention.

• Like 1

I have a couple of huge questions in regard to use and effectiveness of Kazaam's powers.

In the movie, he repeatedly tells Max that he can't do "ethereal." He lists things like, "Love, hope, talking to God, raising the dead" as things he can't do and at least twice says that he "can't touch destiny." But isn't granting a wish, on almost any scale, by definition "changing destiny?" For instance, he says he destroyed Pompeii because it was someone's wish, but wouldn't wiping an entire city off the map be changing the destinies of the people who were living there? That's not even touching upon how a catastrophe of that magnitude would effect the world, and therefore, it's "destiny." Even on a smaller scale, by granting a wish of wealth and castles (two things Kazaam says he can do), wouldn't that be changing the course of a person's life? Does that mean the only wishes Kazaam can grant are for things that were already "destined" to happen anyway? Wouldn't that defeat the whole purpose of granting wishes?

Another thing that bothered me about his powers, and was touched upon briefly in the episode, but not explored fully, was how Kazaam always would always just appear for Max. He teleports across streets, he appears in his bed tenderly spooning with him, he appears as an inappropriately seductive constellation in the stars on Max's ceiling, but after Kazaam's show at the club and he's approached to meet with Malik, he doesn't seem to have a clue where Max is! He even says to Asia Moon, "I'm looking for Max." What the fuck do you mean you're "looking for Max?" Can't you just BAMF! your ass over to him like we've seen you do hundreds of times? Not to mention, this scene occurs directly after Max is forcibly thrown out of a nightclub in a seedy part of town by his abusive father, a situation, I think we can all agree, would be an ideal time for a seven foot tall genie to be doing his goddamn job.

• Like 4

Oh God, I remember seeing Teen Witch a lot on HBO Family when I was a little kid.

And Jason mentioned "Top That," but he forgot this gem.

• Like 4

Here's an addition to HDTGM Bingo. Any time the gang, a guest, or anyone else hypothesizes that the movie they are covering was all a fever dream or all in the head of the main character, always count on Jason to reference Jacob's Ladder at the drop of a hat. Especially if it's a live show.

• Like 8

A lot of emphasis was placed on the kid being a charmless sack of crap, but is it possible many of the emotional issues he's experiencing are the direct result of him having such a shitty mother?

First of all, I get that she's had it rough, and she's trying to move on with her life, but how can she make such a huge decision as "my boyfriend is moving in with us" and not let Max in on that? I get that Travis let's the cat out of the bag just before she's about to tell him, but it appears like Travis is moving in that day! Maybe give your kid a couple of weeks to get used to the idea of having a new person living with you before he just shows up with all his stuff.

Secondly, I couldn't stand how she immediately grants Travis waaaaaaaay too much control in the raising of her son. There are a number of times when she is in the middle of scolding her son for him doing something legitimately wrong and Travis just undermines her completely, diminishing her authority! What the fuck woman? That's your son! That asshole has only been there for like a day, he hasn't earned the right yet to tell you how to raise your son. He needs to stay the Hell out of it.

But the biggest mark against her is when Max runs away to go to his father's club. It's the middle of the night, in a dangerous city, she knows where he's going, but makes no effort to either call the cops or drag his sorry ass back home. And when he finally does come home, she is fast asleep on the couch having passed out from reading a book! In fact, her sleep is so deep and untroubled, that when he calls out to her, she does not stir even a little! I know he's an obnoxious little twerp, but it's almost like she wants him to be murdered!

• Like 1

Not so much a correction or omission but the french toast scene gave me nightmares as a child, not the part in this gif, but the part where Kazaam force feeds Max.

rDSeFwN.gif

• Like 3

I have a couple of huge questions in regard to use and effectiveness of Kazaam's powers.

In the movie, he repeatedly tells Max that he can't do "ethereal." He lists things like, "Love, hope, talking to God, raising the dead" as things he can't do and at least twice says that he "can't touch destiny." But isn't granting a wish, on almost any scale, by definition "changing destiny?" For instance, he says he destroyed Pompeii because it was someone's wish, but wouldn't wiping an entire city off the map be changing the destinies of the people who were living there? That's not even touching upon how a catastrophe of that magnitude would effect the world, and therefore, it's "destiny." Even on a smaller scale, by granting a wish of wealth and castles (two things Kazaam says he can do), wouldn't that be changing the course of a person's life? Does that mean the only wishes Kazaam can grant are for things that were already "destined" to happen anyway? Wouldn't that defeat the whole purpose of granting wishes?

Another thing that bothered me about his powers, and was touched upon briefly in the episode, but not explored fully, was how Kazaam always would always just appear for Max. He teleports across streets, he appears in his bed tenderly spooning with him, he appears as an inappropriately seductive constellation in the stars on Max's ceiling, but after Kazaam's show at the club and he's approached to meet with Malik, he doesn't seem to have a clue where Max is! He even says to Asia Moon, "I'm looking for Max." What the fuck do you mean you're "looking for Max." Can't you just BAMF! your ass over to him like we've seen you do hundreds of times? Not to mention, this scene occurs directly after Max is forcibly thrown out of a nightclub in a seedy part of town by his abusive father, a situation, I think we can all agree, would be an ideal time for a seven foot tall genii to be doing his goddamn job.

10/10 on these points. Brilliant.

• Like 1

Starsky also directed "The Running Man" before going on to more family-friendly fare. What the hell happened?

More importantly, HOW HAS HDTGM NEVER DONE THE RUINING MAN?!

• Like 2

OH JASON THANK YOU!! I always talk about the brother from Teen Witch cause the character is absolutely ridiculous I cant believe Jason brought him up and yes please do Teen Witch! Great ep!

I JUST GOT TO THIS PART AND JASON YOU BETTER NOT BE JOKING BECAUSE Y'ALL NEED TO DO TEEN WITCH

More importantly, HOW HAS HDTGM NEVER DONE THE RUINING MAN?!

Paul plans to cover it in the future.

Never fear! I've been going backward through the HDTGM archives over the last couple of months (I'm currently on Sleepaway Camp) and I've been taking a note on every movie they've either said they were going to do or showed some interest in doing, and I fully plan on holding them to it. :)

Unfortunately, I didn't start doing this until I was well into my re-listening, so I don't think I've caught everything, nor did I think to make a note of which episode they were mentioned, but here's what I have so far:

1) Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans

2) The Happening

3) Jack and Jill

4) Blended

5) Ladyhawke (Although it sounds like they're saving this for I Think That Was Good?)

6) Tokyo Drift

7) Bandits

8) Country Strong

9) Limitless

10) Curse of the Jade Scorpion--or other bad Woody Allen movie.

11) One of the Menudo movies

12) Teen Witch

13) Running Man

If anyone's interested, let me know, and I can make a thread and whenever one comes up, we can add to it...or not.

So don't worry, I'm on it.

tumblr_lkq2mkSnS61qbdzeqo1_r1_500.gif

• Like 7

Billy Blanks was a stuntman in Kazaam:

HqUhIRG.jpg?1

ETA: Also, why does Max keep his Science text book in his drawer for clothes?

• Like 1

Cameron H

in this order,

2) The Happening*

3) SHOWGIRLS

4) Jack and Jill

5) Blended

6) Ladyhawke (Although it sounds like they're saving this for I Think That Was Good?)

7) Tokyo Drift

8) Bandits

9) Country Strong

10) Limitless

11) Curse of the Jade Scorpion--or other bad Woody Allen movie.

12) One of the Menudo movies

13) Teen Witch

14) Running Man, HEY THAT'S A GOOD MOVIE! *

15) Vampires Kiss.

* NEVER HAPPENING IN YOUR LIFE TIME..**

** not my doing don't make me the bad guy here.

Ohh btw, if your wondering why not the happening, Paul Scheer has been trying to get M. Night Shyamalan to cast him in one of his movies as the

• Like 3

6) Ladyhawke (Although it sounds like they're saving this for I Think That Was Good?)

I was just reading this and flicking through some channels looking for something decent to watch this evening and fucking Ladyhawke is on one of the channels here!!

I'm gonna be honest, I'm more than a little unnerved. Mainly by that young Matthew Broderick's Henry V type haircut.

• Like 1

I was just reading this and flicking through some channels looking for something decent to watch this evening and fucking Ladyhawke is on one of the channels here!!

I'm gonna be honest, I'm more than a little unnerved. Mainly by that young Matthew Broderick's Henry V type haircut.

That list was Cameron H's doing not mine. but it's clear to me after watching Ladyhawke that J.J. Abrams got his idea for the new starwars movies from it character Kylo Ren is from Ladyhawke

e7balx.jpg

That bird in force awakens is going to turn into some one we once remembered and loved dearly.

• Like 2

Never fear! I've been going backward through the HDTGM archives over the last couple of months (I'm currently on Sleepaway Camp) and I've been taking a note on every movie they've either said they were going to do or showed some interest in doing, and I fully plan on holding them to it. :)/>

Unfortunately, I didn't start doing this until I was well into my re-listening, so I don't think I've caught everything, nor did I think to make a note of which episode they were mentioned, but here's what I have so far:

2) The Happening

3) Jack and Jill

4) Blended

5) Ladyhawke (Although it sounds like they're saving this for I Think That Was Good?)

6) Tokyo Drift

7) Bandits

8) Country Strong

9) Limitless

10) Curse of the Jade Scorpion--or other bad Woody Allen movie.

11) One of the Menudo movies

12) Teen Witch

13) Running Man

If anyone's interested, let me know, and I can make a thread and whenever one comes up, we can add to it...or not.

So don't worry, I'm on it.

tumblr_lkq2mkSnS61qbdzeqo1_r1_500.gif

No "Jacob's Ladder"?!?

• Like 2

No "Jacob's Ladder"?!?

I love Jacob's Ladder, how dare you.

Hey PlanBFromOuterSpace why Jacob's Ladder?

You must be talking about another movie not the one with Tim Robbins in it.

I think your talking about the concert movie by rush.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzcA8_EkYQ0

or this

• Like 5

I found the movie your talking about. ;)

29uog0h.jpg

i am sorry PlanBFromOuterSpace. i didn't mean to pick on you.

• Like 3

My name for Shaq: Kazoo the Rhyming Foo

My Question: Did everyone stand on boxes for their scenes with Shaq?

Also - I haven't seen a BMX scene that good since RAD. Not sure which one I like better. :)

• Like 2

Great episode as always.

So much to go into but one scene that stood out for me was when Max was in the club and his dad was yelling at one of his partners. Max, the certified street smart delinquent who needs a tutor uses the correct grammatical phrasing when he says "I thought it was going to be you and I" Instead of "you and me" Which most 12 year olds would say. And then his dad - the gangster echos back, "There is know you and I." Totally bizarre that grammar needed to be correct in that one scene.

• Like 2

I am dumb for having already thought about this for more than 10 seconds. At the end of the movie Max says "I could sure use a nice hot cup of chocolate." and Kazaam makes one appear for him.

The line of dialogue was not "I wish I had a nice hot cup of chocolate." because:

A.) It was a conscious writer's choice to show that Kazaam was no longer bound by the rules of wishes.

or

B.) The writer just forgot to write wish there.

As a predecessor of Will.I.Am and in the spirit of the immortal legacy known as Dr. Seuss' M.C. Sam I Am, clearly Shaq's rap name should be Kazaam.I.Am

The sound quality of this live episode is top-notch. If it weren't for the audience's laughter I'd think that I was listening to a studio episode.

June likes being the big spoon. *swoons*

• Like 2