🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 127 - Kazaam: LIVE!

Here's the Kazaam spoof.

1917389_10153995843981535_309274625741132727_n.jpg?oh=5c0ac58393f6384230caa51cca664ceb&oe=57446126

I love this.

Can someone please make one for "I Dream of June-y"?

• Like 3

I am dumb for having already thought about this for more than 10 seconds. At the end of the movie Max says "I could sure use a nice hot cup of chocolate." and Kazaam makes one appear for him.

The line of dialogue was not "I wish I had a nice hot cup of chocolate." because:

A.) It was a conscious writer's choice to show that Kazaam was no longer bound by the rules of wishes.

or

B.) The writer just forgot to write wish there.

The main thing that got me about that part was that he said "hot cup of chocolate", and not "cup of hot chocolate"

Also, one of Kazaam's lyrics references Ben and Jerry-al to keep his rhyme scheme going, that just stuck out to me as infinitely stupid.

• Like 4

Also, one of Kazaam's lyrics references Ben and Jerry-al to keep his rhyme scheme going, that just stuck out to me as infinitely stupid.

Speaking of rhyme schemes, I noticed that "let's green egg and ham it" doesn't actually rhyme with anything. I assumed that line (which features prominently in the Nostalgia Critic review) was used as a forced rhyme with, umm, "slam it" or something, but nope. It rhymes with neither the preceding nor subsequent lines, so there's no reason for Kazaam to use a phrase out of a children's book.

What's the deal with the store that originally has Kazaam's lamp? From the sign advertising only "LAMPS", and from what we see of its interior, it seems to specialize in lamps. Also, it's several stories above ground in the building being demolished, which looks more like a residential apartment than a place with any other stores. How were there ever enough customers willing to go out of their way and up several floors solely to buy antique lamps to keep this place in business?

Well, to be fair, the business did fail.

• Like 2

Hey in case y'all didnt already know: Lauren Lapkus's boyfriend's sister does a QnA segment on The Wishing Well podcast, and they recently covered a lot of good information about genies and Kazaam specifically.

• Like 1

I don't think Max's bully situation was ever resolved. They stole the tape, and told Max that he had to demand a million dollars from his dad or else the bullying would get worse. However Max had Kazaam recover the tape with a wish, so there would be no reason for the bullies to ease up on Max. Basically at the end of this movie Max has resolved his issues with his real dad and is ok with his new step dad, but he is still getting beaten up at school.

• Like 1

Among Max's massive pile of junk food is Shaq's own candy bar the Mr. Big Bar (It's also the first thing that Max just so happens to eat from his stash):

MNw9UzE.jpg

InHuBOm.jpg

Same font:

Zes6Wp7.jpg

• Like 5

Yay!!

Da-Brat making her 2nd appearance on HDTGM.

ED665670CB25D7AF9E5C515D664A9967.jpg

Whenever they mentioned Da Brat it made me wonder where "the other one" was. (Glitter pe ref.)

• Like 2

I love this.

Can someone please make one for "I Dream of June-y"?

Be careful what you wish for...

23lk1f5.jpg

recommend music that goes along with that art installation.

• Like 8

just finished watching it .. couldn't help wondering .... who'd win the rhyme off?

im5n42.jpg

note: to scale (i think)

Leprechaun by a MILE. He's got a better flow and he keeps it simple! Shaq is hopeless out there and sounds like he has no idea where he's going or what the rhyme is going to be.

• Like 4

I don't think Max's bully situation was ever resolved. They stole the tape, and told Max that he had to demand a million dollars from his dad or else the bullying would get worse. However Max had Kazaam recover the tape with a wish, so there would be no reason for the bullies to ease up on Max. Basically at the end of this movie Max has resolved his issues with his real dad and is ok with his new step dad, but he is still getting beaten up at school.

Kazaam really thoroughly drops the ball on helping Max out with the bullies. Right from that early scene where Kazaam keeps trying to grant Max's wish for a car while the bullies catch up with Max. We saw that when Kazaam first appeared out of the boombox, the bullies immediately fled at the mere appearance of seven-foot-tall Kazaam before they have any idea who he is or what he's up to. So if they knew he was Max's genie, why wouldn't they steer clear from him as fast as they could?

(Although the bullies are able to outrun Max when he is pedaling a bicycle, so maybe they have some magical abilities of their own.)

However, that isn't the worst part of the tape wish. And neither is the datedness of the notion of a cassette tape being worth a million dollars. It's that Kazaam does not actually "recover" the tape, since he says that if he can locate it he doesn't have to use up a wish... but makes a new copy of it! That's right, for all the movie's heavy-handed message about piracy being wrong, Kazaam commits an act of it himself. (And facilitates Max's dad's associates making further pirated copies.)

• Like 2

snapback.pngJuly Diaz, on 08 January 2016 - 04:44 AM, said:

the movie calling Jesus a genie

I don't think it does. Kazaam says that his granting the wish for junk food is “like the main man did with the loaves and the fish” — and it is, in the sense that it's a supernatural reproduction of items of food.

• Like 1

When Max survives the fall through the floors in the abandoned building, we see that the floors have deteriorated so that they give way upon his impact. Therefore, they offer just enough resistance to break Max's fall before finally landing on a cushioning pile of rubble, without being too hard of an impact themselves. It's a variation on those scenes where characters land on multiple awnings to break their fall, like the one in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom that was successfully recreated by the Mythbusters. (Disclaimer: does not explain how Max wasn't splattered by the second fall.)

I'm trying to work out the economics. They are going to turn $50000 worth of blank CDs into $1000000 of bootleg Da Brat discs? That's a 2000% profit. How are they doing this? If the blanks were $1 each, they need to sell 50000 Da Brat Bootlegs for $20 each. If the blanks were 10 cents each, they are selling 500000 Da Brat bootlegs for $2 each. I just don't see a sufficient demand no matter how cheap the bootlegs to get that 2000% profit margin.

No, I meant what happened in regards to Starsky's film directing career. It went from the greatness of "Running Man" to family stuff, as it was followed by "The Cutting Edge", "The Air Up There", and then "Kazaam".

The fuck are you trying to say about "The Cutting Edge"?

• Like 3

I'm trying to work out the economics. They are going to turn $50000 worth of blank CDs into $1000000 of bootleg Da Brat discs? That's a 2000% profit. How are they doing this? If the blanks were $1 each, they need to sell 50000 Da Brat Bootlegs for $20 each. If the blanks were 10 cents each, they are selling 500000 Da Brat bootlegs for $2 each. I just don't see a sufficient demand no matter how cheap the bootlegs to get that 2000% profit margin.

10 cents to $20 was the markup on CDs back in the day.

If it had come out just a bit later, it would have been laughably outdated, but the CD industry was still riding high in 1996.

When Max was wishing for the car, did anyone else think it was going to be a setup for a joke where Kazaam, having been out of the loop for hundreds of years, was going to give Max a black jaguar?

Aln39hI.jpg

Also, Max made that wish. Kazaam wasn't able to grant it in the moment but he made it. Kazaam doesn't have the obligation to deliver on it?

• Like 1

The fuck are you trying to say about "The Cutting Edge"?

I think he's saying that in regards to film heirarchy, family films, mainly in the 80s and 90s, weren't of the highest caliber compared to other genres. Sort of like what horror has always been. Not so much a dig at those movies, but the genre as a whole, though I may be mistaken.

Roger Ebert's review points out that a plotline of a genie helping the protagonist meet and reform a long-lost father engaged in criminal activities is also in Aladdin and the King of Thieves, released less than a month after Kazaam... except it's not a case of one studio ripping off another, since both are from Disney (Kazaam via Touchstone). And Disney also made DuckTales the Movie: Treasure of the Lost Lamp in 1990 (so its lost lamp's genie was a couple years before Aladdin's). What was it with Disney and genies in the '90s? The podcast We Hate Movies announced it was going to do an upcoming episode on DuckTales the Movie just at the time Kazaam was announced for HDTGM, so the synchronicity continues!

('90s-era Disney also seemed to have a thing with naming slightly-rebellious adolescent boys Max: Kazaam, Hocus Pocus, and A Goofy Movie.)

And man, given how Paul Glaser would never step behind the camera again, Ebert's conclusion that Shaq should use 3 wishes "for a script, a director and an interesting character" is harsh. Was the movie really that badly directed? It's just a straightforward and uninspired take on uninspired material that no amount of camerawork could fix.

Starsky gave us Kazaam, but Hutch gave us a weird scene in the crazy film Filth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx--1rBJFRo

Yep, 'Hutch' is a Brirish citizen now and a big supporter and season ticket holder of Arsenal FC. Though by the looks of the size of him in that clip he might need two season tickets.

Among Max's massive pile of junk food is Shaq's own candy bar the Mr. Big Bar (It's also the first thing that Max just so happens to eat from his stash):

MNw9UzE.jpg

Same font:

but there can only be one Mr big....

MRBIG3.jpg