🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 43 - Pediatrician Waiting Room

Paul F. Tompkins welcome's y'all back to this precious place called SPONTANEANATION! This week, Paul’s special guest is Emily V. Gordon of The Indoor Kids and author of Super You! They chat about what TV show Emily would live in for a week, denying herself a crush on one of the Monkees, and having E.T. nightmares as a child. Paul is then joined by Steve Agee, Mark McConville, and Annie Savage to improvise a story set in a Pediatrician Waiting Room. And as always, Eban (only the best) Schletter scores it all on piano!

LIVE episodes of SPONTANEANATION return to Largo on The Coronet on Saturday, February 6, 2016! Get your tickets now: bit.ly/SPONT0216

The happy birthday train keeps on chugging, woo woo!

Mitch and Dolores are back! Will the drama never end? Not to mention Liam, the Welsh/Jamaican/Indian-sounding Irish hill person, who seems to have forgotten his own name!

Good to know that terrifying dreams are a requirement in the Nanjiani-Gordon household!

Annie as the dog-human was hilarious! Doris and the baby body-swapper played by Erinn Hayes should compare notes!

Mark McConville is always so great at playing "dopey-voiced guy."

• Like 7

The ep was great and everything (Agee's microagression killed me), but now I need the Mitch and Delores solve where Delores' husband's body has gone to mystery. Perhaps solved thanks to the encyclopedic knowledge Mitch has of advertisers past and present.

The delightful Annie Savage captured in new Giggleblur technology!

IMG_7091.jpg

• Like 4

Annie Savage is giving Janet Varney a run for her money as my new favorite person

• Like 2

As soon as PFT said "a foot for every year" I instantly knew it was a reference to a sad poem, which I looked up and it's Mid-term Break by Seamus Heaney: http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/247816 A poem I only studied briefly around 14 years ago, and none of the other lines are remotely familiar to me now, and I can't believe my brain remembered that! So many references flying under the radar on this show! Unless I'm mistaken and it was just a coincidence.

Does Paul sigh as a Vincent Adultman?

Only when he's frustrated with doing a business.

• Like 1

Emily must be the best interview to date. Such a delight, so many weird and wonderful personal details!

• Like 1

Years ago, I used to work with a girl who said she was terrified of E.T. and had never seen the movie. Everybody thought it was bullshit, and she was just trying to be weird and quirky. A bunch of us were hanging out one time, and we convinced her to sit down and watch it, and sure enough, we turned it off not too far into the movie because she was in tears. None of us expected it to be true.

The happy birthday train keeps on chugging, woo woo!

Two fun mysteries for every episode - 1) How (and how many times) will they shoehorn it in? 2) How will Paul harmonize on the last line?

• Like 1

Mark McConville is always so great at playing "dopey-voiced guy."

Anybody wanna watch Spiderm'n Twooo?

• Like 4

The part in Emily's interview about the ET ride at Universal was hilarious. Then I went and found video of the ride, and I 100% understand being terrified of that shit. None of it is okay.

(Skip to about 6:30 for ET saying "Goodbye" to everyone)

• Like 4

So THIS is the episode where Paul asks Mark about candy! He mentioned that on Pistol Shrimps Radio about 55 years ago.

And yes, Paul was thinking of "Help!" when he remembered separate house entrances leading to the same house.

• Like 4

Talks of hiding in a place till after closing made me also think of the book. "From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler". It's one of my favorite children's books too. I reference it often and I'm reading it to my kids.

#GoodOnePaul

I know it's a good episode when even the use of the soundboard thing is making me laugh! Last week was brilliant too, when they used it to cause that rift in space-time. Spontaneanation continues to amaze me! I loved the interview, the location and the improv (and improvisers!); everything seemed to mesh together really well in this episode and even though it was pretty crazy it still managed to tell a very cohesive story.

Bravo for not going into Emily's revelation that she wanted to watch the Bradys have sex. That is some quiet strength right there!

• Like 1

I haven't listened to the improv section yet, but I will say that the interview was absolutely awesome, and I totally agree with Emily V. with regards to E.T. I will never understand how anyone could possibly thing of E.T. as anything but horrific. He's so gross and weird looking.

The part in Emily's interview about the ET ride at Universal was hilarious. Then I went and found video of the ride, and I 100% understand being terrified of that shit. None of it is okay.

I found Spielberg to be the most upsetting part.

I also had a huge problem with ET as a kid. I hated it.

I was 10. I couldn't stand the idea of that head on that neck, I thought the story was hokey, and once my dad explained to me about the Reese's Pieces product placement, I was done.

All this time, I thought Dolores and Mitch were a couple! Was she always married to someone else? Why would she spend so much time with Mitch if she was already married? Well, I guess now that Dolores' husband is dead, she can date Mitch. Wait, is Mitch married to someone else? Unghh!

I've never been so invested in fake people from an internet commercial.

There have been previous mentions of Dolores' husband. One ad took place at their vow renewal. In my mind, Mitch and Dolores are middle-aged, have known each other as friends for many years, and have had a will-they-won't-they thing going for almost as long. I don't think she wants to leave her husband for him, but I think she secretly likes him anyway. Doesn't the end of the ad suggest Dolores' husband isn't really dead after all? Did he pull a Sherlock? Does he just want Dolores to be happy with Mitch but doesn't want a messy divorce? I am also giving this too much thought!

Sign in to follow this