🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 127.5 - Minisode 127.5

Our next movie will be a musical rock opera that you're gonna wanna check out. This week Paul goes through Corrections and Omissions for Kazaam and gives a controversial recommendation in another edition Paul’s Pick of the Week. Plus, Paul explains whether Kazaam or Steel would win in a fight as he answers your Qs!

Attention: The Crash Test special that Paul & Rob Huebel performed on a 60 foot glass bus is coming to Comedy Central on January 22nd. Set your DVRs!

Don’t forget to check out Blake Harris’ Oral History of Kazaam over at www.slashfilm.com!

Get yourself a BB-8 “What Is Its Mission?” T-shirt or Tote Bag over at http://howdidthisgetmade.bigcartel.com/!

People of the internet: Watch Paul in Fresh off the Boat on ABC and a while ago, Paul and Rob Huebel did a comedy special on a 60 foot glass bus that traveled around LA and now you’ll be able to see it. Go to https://itun.es/us/3M4J9 now to buy it! You can also see Jason in Transparent on Amazon and in Dirty Grandpa in a theater near you! Also, check out June in Grace and Frankie available on Netflix, and in all the episodes of NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU for free, and Jason in The Dictator (he’s still in it!).

I have never heard of this movie but I'm excited.

Also excited for Jason in Dirty Grandpa, which I thought was the sequel to Bad Grandpa at first. I saw him on Seth Meyers talking about the film and HDTGM. Can't wait for Seth Meyers' guest episode. ;-)

PS. I think it was PlanBfromOuterSpace than pointed out Efren Ramirez was in Crank, not me.

• Like 1

As burned out as I am on terrible 80s movies, this one looks somewhat interesting (much more than The Apple, which is their other movie for this live show). This has a surprisingly well-known cast for such a ridiculous movie.

During the trailer, I thought, "Hmm...this song sounds very Jim Steinman-esque." (For anyone that's not old, Steinman is best known for writing both Meat Loaf's and Bonnie Tyler's most well-known albums in the 70s and 80s) Turns out, Steinman was brought in to write the opening and closing songs after Springsteen changed his mind on them using his song "Streets of Fire."

PS. I think it was PlanBfromOuterSpace than pointed out Efren Ramirez was in Crank, not me.

I was just impressed that Paul got your name right TWICE!

• Like 4

I did it! I got a correction and a question in a mini (the question about Kenny Loggins or Michael McDonald). Honestly, it was kind of a throwaway question, but sometimes you never know.

• Like 3

During the trailer, I thought, "Hmm...this song sounds very Jim Steinman-esque." (For anyone that's not old, Steinman is best known for writing both Meat Loaf's and Bonnie Tyler's most well-known albums in the 70s and 80s) Turns out, Steinman was brought in to write the opening and closing songs after Springsteen changed his mind on them using his song "Streets of Fire."

Funny, without knowing anything about Steinman I thought it sounded like Holding out for a Hero from Short Circuit 2, or a very generic, hastily written Meatloaf song.

• Like 2

Now I'm upset to see (from wikipedia) that Meat Loaf is not in "Streets of Fire." I loved him in Spice World, you know.

I was just impressed that Paul got your name right TWICE!

I KNOW!! But mispronouncing names is kind of his thing.

Speaking of genies and Diane Lane, last week I stumbled upon a trailer for a movie that looks like it has potential to be HDTGM material (but you never know it could end up just being boring) where Diane Lane plays Christopher Lambert's genie.

Apparently they met on the set of this movie and got married and had a child together.

• Like 1

I got a email from amazon saying the apple is on it's way, got excited tell I realized it's the apple movie and not a iphone.

I WANTED A IPHONE!!!!!!!

crying-kid.jpg

Streets of Fire is going to be great! it's a more watchable movie.

Speaking of genies and Diane Lane, last week I stumbled upon a trailer for a movie that looks like it has potential to be HDTGM material (but you never know it could end up just being boring) where Diane Lane plays Christopher Lambert's genie.

Apparently they met on the set of this movie and got married and had a child together.

This makes Diane Lane the most successful thing that Christopher Lambert has ever been in!

• Like 3

Re: Paul's pick of "The Bachelor". I'm gonna check out the show. PFT, Paget Brewster, George St. Geegland and Gil Faizon are gonna be on the live show tonight. I guess "The Bachelor" is popular among comedians.

• Like 1

I disagree with Paul, I'd like to see The Room with Shaq. I still think it would be bonkers but at the very least more traditionally enjoyable.

200.gif

As you see here, the role is reversed. Shaq broke this girl's heart

• Like 3

Oooooh man this is gonna be fun. I saw this movie a couple years ago on a date as part of a special program at the local film center in Denver. I was pretty tipsy during it (you can get beer at this theater!) but remember it was cheesy fun.

If memory serves, Rick Moraines plays a super sleazy character and it was really fun to see him play someone like that instead of the kind of awkward nerd he typically played.

• Like 1

I disagree with Paul, I'd like to see The Room with Shaq. I still think it would be bonkers but at the very least more traditionally enjoyable.

200.gif

As you see here, the role is reversed. Shaq broke this girl's heart

I don't think we should have to choose. We should totally be able to have both The Room with Shaq and Kazaam with Tommy Wiseau. Because I'm on board with either of those. (Also, I might be going to another screening of The Room w/ a Tommy Q&A beforehand on next weekend. It's the best shit ever)

• Like 3

Oo, another one of my favorite 80s cult films. And since you guys love Canon, maybe Highlander isn't too far behind! And hey, HDTGM connection - like Masters of the Universe, Streets of Fire got an (unofficial) sequel by Albert Pyun in 2012 called "Road to Hell." The movie focuses on Cody and Ellen and even gets in a cover of "Tonight Is What It Means To Be Young."

Streets of Fire wasn't a hit in the US, but it was a pretty big deal in my country, Japan. "Tonight Is What It Means To Be Young" was covered in Japanese by Megumi Shiina as "Kon'ya wa Angel" (Tonight an Angel) and was the theme song for a 1986 prime time TV drama called "Janus no Kagami" (Mirror of Janus). The song was a hit and peaked at #7 on the Japanese Oricon pop chart. Japan is the third biggest music market in the world, behind the US and UK.

Here's the amazingly bad opening for Janus no Kagami: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se1rM9UH-ZA

Streets of Fire also went on to influence Japanese pop culture in a few, interesting ways.

Megazone 23 Part 1, the first big anime OVA (original video animation), featured SOF playing in a movie theater and recreated the kissing in the rain scene.

The OVA for the Red Photon Zillion anime, which was released in the US in the early 90s as "Zillion Burning Night", is a remake of SOF.

In the video game Final Fight, by Capcom, the main character of Cody is based on SOF's Cody.

And in the US, indie rock band "The Protomen"'s second album, is largely inspired by SOF, and the album cover is an homage to the movie poster. https://en.wikipedia...Father_of_Death

"Tonight Is What It Means To Be Young" is also used as the finale for the musical "Tanz Der Vampires" (Dance of Vampires). That musical is written by Jim Steinman, who wrote the Fire Inc. songs in Streets of Fire.

• Like 4

Holy shit I'm only ten minutes into this movie and have no idea when the fuck this movie is supposed to be taking place. The setting and attire makes it look like the 50s, but the neon and Diane Lane's attire is so 80s. Then her band itself looks like a mix of Rockabilly led by Pat Benatar, Bill Paxton with a Bruno Mars pompadour, a woman been dragged down the street chained to the back of a motorcycle, and Dafoe full on tackling Lane . Already worth the $.3.99 rental price I paid Amazon.

• Like 3

Then her band itself looks like a mix of Rockabilly led by Pat Benatar.

This sounds amazing. I don't think I'm going to get to watch it until the weekend (which is okay, since the ep is delayed), but that sentence alone has me on board.

The lead character's name is Ellen...this is going to be a very bizarre episode for me to listen to.

• Like 3

Tommy Wiseau in Kazaam, no contest. Especially if he directed it. Shaq in The Room would definitely be interesting, but he's not near awkward enough to improve the role. It would just be an oddity more than anything, which would be the case if you put Shaq in almost any movie. The flower shop scene with Shaq would be pretty funny though. When the woman working there says she didn't recognize him. How many 8'15" people buy flowers there?

I had never heard of Streets of Fire, but I was laughing the entire time the trailer was going, just listening to the awful music. Also watched the trailer for The Apple, that movie looks like Zardoz, Tommy and Rocky Horror had a three way baby. Both of these movies seem like quite a trip, and I can't wait.

Edit: Oh, and add Xanadu to that mix

• Like 3

This movie is basically the inspiration to both Pluto Nash and the Joel Schumacher Batman films. Also, Rick Moranis might be the biggest asshole in any HDTGM movie, seriously he is so unnecessarily a dick that I'm amazed he wasn't shot in the face right at the start of the main journey.

Oh yeah, if Shaq was in "The Room", would it still be playing football in tuxedoes, or would it be shooting shitty free throws in tuxedoes?

• Like 3

You know when I heard they were doing Streets of Fire I thought I'd go to imdb and check out some of the details and to my surprise I've not only seen and rated it but I gave it 7/10 so apparently I really enjoyed it, but I don't remember a single second of it. Okay sure my profile says "IMDb member since February 2004" so I could've rated this anytime in the last 12 years but for what sounds like a completely nuts film I can't fathom how I don't remember it.

So what I'm saying is if you're on the fence about watching this one apparently I really enjoyed it and OofMaGOOF and Scary_Mirage on the previous page seem to remember it better than me so this may be one to watch (and in my case rewatch).

EDIT:

You know what, having seen the trailer just now this might be a case of drunk rating on imdb, maybe I mixed up City on Fire and Streets of Rage and Willem Dafoe in a leather jacket in The Loveless and all this got mixed up in my head. Maybe I've never seen this.

I forget where Paul put Kevin Kline in Dave in the list of movie presidents, but I have to say that I usually can't stand Kline, especially in comedies. There are a few exceptions, but generally I find him to be smug and the expression on his face always seems to say "you're welcome for that."

Paul already said they're having a music-related guest this week, but I kind of wish it was Doug Benson so that we could hear him say "shithead" every time Willem Dafoe's name was mentioned.

I guess I'll just have to settle for hearing Paul call him "William."

• Like 2