🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 127.5 - Minisode 127.5

I have to say, I just finished watching Streets of Fire, and I'm very curious as to what their going to say about it. I mean, I defer to the gangs' brilliance and expertise, but for me, this is the first time since Staying Alive that I don't think I really have anything to say about a HDTGM movie--and that includes Sharknado 3, which I didn't even watch.

While I'm not going to go so far as to say that I loved it or anything, but it was decent, and I think it did what it set out to do pretty competently. I hope that I'm proven wrong, but I feel like anything you can say to make fun of in it would be missing the point of what it was trying to accomplish--and that puts the fault on the viewer, not the filmmakers.

To be wildly hyperbolic and make an incredibly incommensurate comparison, it would be like if you were looking at Duchamp's "Nude Descending a Staircase, No. 2"

20150719231100!Duchamp_-_Nude_Descending_a_Staircase.jpg

and then say, as you spit your chaw into a red solo cup, "That don't look like no naked person I ever saw! It's done just a mess o' scribbly lines. My stink hound can shit out better art than that. Where them titties at?"

• Like 2

Annie. Potts.

73a90d746d29daba9969eaef4d54204b.jpg

Like many kids of the 80s, Ghostbusters was a very formative movie for me. I know we were supposed to love Dana Barrett, but Janine Melnitz was always the one that I preferred.

Good one! I really dug her as Janine, but I loved her in Pretty In Pink.

annie-potts-and-pretty-in-pink-gallery.jpg

• Like 2

Are we saying people we like that others don't or people we don't find attractive that others do? Cause I may have answers for both! As far as people who are considered widely attractive that I just don't really understand (it only seems fair to give two answers) it's Channing Tatum and Eva Mendes. I just wouldn't put either on my list at all. And when it comes to someone I find crazy attractive that people have told me they don't get is Jeremy Renner, which I actually find pretty crazy, but I think it's clear that the girls watching Avengers aren't supposed to be drawn to Hawkeye like I am.

I still argue that Hook holds up. I just saw it recently and all the jokes still land and it's still extremely heartfelt and well acted. People who hate it are just wrong!

For my movie this is gonna show my age but I have to go with Josie and the Pussycats. Someone made a thread for it in the recommendations forum and Shannon and I argued that it was perfect and doesn't meet the criteria but I have a feeling if I showed it to someone now who had never seen it before then they wouldn't get the perfection of the satire. Plus, in my opinion, that music still holds the fuck up cause it still plays on my itunes shuffle.

giphy.gif

• Like 4

(Not kidding. Watch My Blue Heaven.)

enhanced-20413-1402531337-1.jpg

When Henry Hill died a few years ago and I found out that this movie is in some ways a sequel to Goodfellas, it blew my mind.

NEW GAME!!!

Name a movie that you loved as a kid, that still (unironically) holds up for you, but you're pretty sure if you showed it to another adult, they just wouldn't "get it."

I would say probably Flight of the Navigator. It is certainly unevenly paced, but it always made me wish I could have a space ship like like that.

• Like 2

I would say probably Flight of the Navigator. It is certainly unevenly paced, but it always made me wish I could have a space ship like like that.

I've always been super hesitant to revisit that movie as an adult. I used to love it as a kid, but I feel like I'd hate it now.

• Like 1

This...

11041668_10100616009269756_8763593315209033183_n.jpg?oh=75e633a08cb6b8fe8325e4e8b73e255f&oe=573376C4

All day long.

that movie is going to have to happen one of these days.

Angelina Jolie is the woman I would say I can't understand why people find her attractive yet I don't.

Yet I love Billy Bob Thornton and I'll blind watch any film he's in. I would go as far as to say Billy Bob Thornton is my super hero.

I did find myself watching any movie with Phoebe Cates in it that got made in the 1980s that showed up on cable. so I would have to vote for her as the sexist actress growing up. Fast Times at Ridgemont High is the only one I remember of the top of my head with out looking at IMDB. the only film she made that is watchable.

Lando for me that movie is "The Cat From Outer Space (1978)"

now that is fucking bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SEaSW1jtnQ

I got a Royal Flush on that hand of a movie.

just noticed a green golf shirt and a yellow Carthaginian sweater,

• Like 1

Are we saying people we like that others don't or people we don't find attractive that others do? Cause I may have answers for both! As far as people who are considered widely attractive that I just don't really understand (it only seems fair to give two answers) it's Channing Tatum and Eva Mendes. I just wouldn't put either on my list at all. And when it comes to someone I find crazy attractive that people have told me they don't get is Jeremy Renner, which I actually find pretty crazy, but I think it's clear that the girls watching Avengers aren't supposed to be drawn to Hawkeye like I am.

For my movie this is gonna show my age but I have to go with Josie and the Pussycats. Someone made a thread for it in the recommendations forum and Shannon and I argued that it was perfect and doesn't meet the criteria but I have a feeling if I showed it to someone now who had never seen it before then they wouldn't get the perfection of the satire. Plus, in my opinion, that music still holds the fuck up cause it still plays on my itunes shuffle.

giphy.gif

I agree with everything in this post. I dig Tatum's dancing but not his face. He has charisma in my opinion, just not a look to go with it. I do like Eva Mendes though. I do rank Jeremy Renner higher on my Avengers sex list than Chris Hemsworth.

Josie and the Pussycats was a formative movie for me. I watched it at a sleepover after Jamie Sale and David Pelletier were robbed at the 2002 Salt Lake Winter Olympics. I was distraught and this movie made it all better. It also took me until I was about 19 for the double entendre of "Back Door Lover" to fully sink in.

I honestly can't think of an actor that I don't find attractive (that others generally consider so). I don't find Parker Posey attractive, speaking of Josie.

I'm in love with James Spader but I think he's generally considered to have sex appeal. My other crush would be Stephen Colbert. I know he's considered funny-sexy but to me, he's my dreamboat.

giphy.gif

Not since seeing 9-5 for the first time this Christmas have I wanted to be Jane Fonda so badly

• Like 5

Yeah, I don't really see Channing Tatum, or for that matter, Liam Hemsworth. I feel like they fall into this category of, "They're sexy because Hollywood said so." Also, I think Jeremy Renner would be sexier if he would just shut his stupid mouth.

Also, what about this guy (known as "Blumpy" in my house)?

giphy.gif

Am I just not getting it? Because Hollywood seems to think I should be very impressed...

On the positive side, I don't think Zachary Levi or Lee Pace get their due. I've also been sitting on Catherine O'Hara, but only because I can't explain what it is about her I really like. Another person that I think often gets sorely overlooked is Rachel Weisz.

tumblr_lzm989whPK1qjnjc0.gif

Funny story (I guess..?): A couple of months ago I was having a conversation, and I was asked which celebrities do I think are attractive. I was adament that I don't usually find celebrities all that attractive, but the person I was speaking with insisted that there had to be someone. So finally, I admitted my fondness for Rachel Weisz. But this wasn't good enough, and I was asked to name some others. So then I said, "Okay, Hayley Atwell, Gemma Arterton, and Michelle Dockery." It was in that moment that I first realized I had a "type," which is apparently: brunette, smart, bookish, independent, and preferably, British. Honestly, it kind of blew my mind as I never really considered myself to be a person that would have a type, but there you go. Must have been from all that Mary Poppins from when I was younger...

• Like 1

Just saw that today was Diane Lane's birthday...

Happy Birthday, Ellen Aim!

(Does it seem like a lot of the recent episodes have been landing on or around the birthdates of the stars who are in them?)

• Like 2

Oh my god, I know I have some of those songs in my music library and now I have to find them. I haven't thought of Josie and the Pussycats in ages but I bet it would hold up for me too...I feel like I have a hard time objectively judging movies from this era because I wasn't quite able to tell what made a movie good yet and my friends have the same nostalgia goggles as me. I might have to go binge watcha bunch of late 90s/early 2000s movies immediately, probably starting with Bring It On. I don't know if people think that's a bad movie or a good movie but I could probably watch it like 2 or 3 times in a row and feel pretty great about it.

I haven't rewatched too many movies I saw as a kid, but I think it might be an interesting exercise. Thanks to HDTGM, I was able to amend my opinion of Super Mario Bros. -- I have a very strong memory of my brother and I loving it so much we chose to rent it at Blockbuster multiple times in a row when we were in elementary school. Now...I'm just happy it was all on youtube so I don't have to admit to spending any (more) money on seeing it :unsure:

• Like 2

Just saw that today was Diane Lane's birthday...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNHZe9s75e4

Happy Birthday, Ellen Aim!

(Does it seem like a lot of the recent episodes have been landing on or around the birthdates of the stars who are in them?)

just started noticing that too.

typing google search, " Ellen Aim" I found some strange things on the net.

2lxh7w7.jpg

found at, here.

and this on some Japanese site.

27458110.jpg

I am not sure what that's for and am afraid to ask.

hoping thats a action figure.

dress your little sweetheart up for Halloween

29EllenAim_StreetsOfFire.jpg

• Like 2

I have to say, I just finished watching Streets of Fire, and I'm very curious as to what their going to say about it. I mean, I defer to the gangs' brilliance and expertise, but for me, this is the first time since Staying Alive that I don't think I really have anything to say about a HDTGM movie--and that includes Sharknado 3, which I didn't even watch.

While I'm not going to go so far as to say that I loved it or anything, but it was decent, and I think it did what it set out to do pretty competently. I hope that I'm proven wrong, but I feel like anything you can say to make fun of in it would be missing the point of what it was trying to accomplish--and that puts the fault on the viewer, not the filmmakers.

To be wildly hyperbolic and make an incredibly incommensurate comparison, it would be like if you were looking at Duchamp's "Nude Descending a Staircase, No. 2"

20150719231100!Duchamp_-_Nude_Descending_a_Staircase.jpg

and then say, as you spit your chaw into a red solo cup, "That don't look like no naked person I ever saw! It's done just a mess o' scribbly lines. My stink hound can shit out better art than that. Where them titties at?"

I couldn't disagree more. There's so much insanity to talk about. Like what's with the blonde girl that joins them before the bus? She says some stuff about being a struggling song writer, and I thought for sure she would sing eventually or write a song for Ellen to sing, but then she just excuses herself away at the hotel and walks outta the movie. What was the point of that character? Or how about Macoy? I swear like 80% of the dialog she says or is said to her is just exposition. She walks into a scene and just reads off a bunch of background information for the audience. Then there's the main actor, Pare. He reads every line in the exact same tone of voice and with the same attitude. Dude's a freaking robot. I just watched this movie, and I honestly have no idea what happened. They drive to the battery in a single cut, but getting back from it takes like 2 days. Pare is just hitting random bikers with the but of his gun in the middle of the street, and no one reacts to it. Then, Dafoe comes up and they exchange names for some reason, and Pare just drives off. Why did any of that happen? Why not just drive off to begin with? How is it that the cops do nothing about Ellen's kidnapping, but they're putting up roadblocks to stop them from returning, but then he blows up like 5 cop cars and holds a dozen of em at gun point only to walk straight into the local police stations and have them do nothing. Are these places in different countries? And I still have no idea what Ellen and Cody's big problem was. He says shes going places, and he can't carry her guitar. Who asked him to? He's fine with moving, since he's doing that at the end. Why can't he just move along with her tour? Characters are constantly having big realizations and emotional shifts off screen. Rick Morranis goes from insulting Cody to saying he wont stand in the way of Cody taking his girlfriend back between scenes. And I can't get over how huge of an asshole Morannis' cahracter is. he's supposed to be dating this woman, but we never see him show any sort of emotion towards her with the one exception of putting his arm around her when she sits next to him on the bus. I get it's hyper reality. I get that it's not pinning itself to a specific time or place, that Dafoe can wear all rubber and be squeaking as he walks but still be considered the big bad threat, that the audience is supposed to just fill in background for a bunch of characters based on the clear archetypes they are playing. Still, it's a crazy movie.

• Like 1

Name some celebrities that you think don't get enough credit for being sexy. And, without getting too mean, graphic, and/or shallow, feel free to name some celebrities that seem to universally be considered "sexy," but in your opinion, just aren't.

I'll post mine later, I've got some thinking to do...

Ok, I am ready to answer.

Underrated: I just finished watching The Martian, and it occurred to me that I have had a big old crush on Kristen Wiig for a long time. Like since she was Dr. Pat on the Joe Schmo Show 13(!?!?) years ago. She is smart, funny and beautiful.

Overrated: Scarlett Johansson. I mean, she is is way out of my league, a fantastic actress and seems like she would be very intellectually stimulating, but is often touted as the most beautiful woman alive and she is just not my type for some reason.

• Like 1

Underrated: I just finished watching The Martian, and it occurred to me that I have had a big old crush on Kristen Wiig for a long time. Like since she was Dr. Pat on the Joe Schmo Show 13(!?!?) years ago. She is smart, funny and beautiful.

Overrated: Scarlett Johansson. I mean, she is is way out of my league, a fantastic actress and seems like she would be very intellectually stimulating, but is often touted as the most beautiful woman alive and she is just not my type for some reason.

I got to see Scarlett in person when I got to work on "Winter Soldier", and I think she looked better when she's trying to blend in in the mall scene (I walked right between her and Evans in a couple of takes) than when she was decked out in the Widow gear. Speaking of which, I saw Chris Evans up close both then and also when he was in full Cap mode, and he is quite the handsome gentleman. What do the ladies generally think of him?

• Like 1

About Chris Evans, I am a heterosexual male, but when I look at Chris Evans... I am no longer that. Whatever I become, I just wanna marry Chris Evans. Maybe cuddle with him in a log cabin by a fire as we gaze cozily at the snow falling outside? I dunno, just some thoughts I had. Sexy thoughts.

• Like 5

I never got the infatuation with Johansson, yes she's beautiful but i find her acting incredibly wooden. Mindy Kaling had a great joke on the first Comedy Death Ray album where she impersonates Johansson and Julia Stiles basically being the same people acting style wise and it's pretty great.

• Like 1

Shameless Self-Promotion

I work for a Pittsburgh-based independent wrestling company that had to cancel tonight's show because of bad weather, but we've gone ahead and posted our most recent event, which is available to view for free today only. I did all the ringside camera work on this one, so let me know what you think! Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/30Efkwa8ZQY

• Like 1

Shameless Self-Promotion

I work for a Pittsburgh-based independent wrestling company that had to cancel tonight's show because of bad weather, but we've gone ahead and posted our most recent event, which is available to view for free today only. I did all the ringside camera work on this one, so let me know what you think! Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/30Efkwa8ZQY

and what would be bad weather in Pittsburgh?

sounds like it would be a walk in the park in Edmonton alberta.

21d3q4x.jpg

if it makes matters worse thats outside a day care. I told you I live in crazy town.

• Like 2

and what would be bad weather in Pittsburgh?

sounds like it would be a walk in the park in Edmonton alberta.

21d3q4x.jpg

if it makes matters worse thats outside a day care. I told you I live in crazy town.

I'm outside of Pittsburgh, and it never got that bad, but a lot of the surrounding area where a lot of the guys are coming from was a lot worse. We were supposed to have recently-fired WWE wrestler/NXT trainer Billy Gunn, but he was snowed in somewhere.

Poor Billy Gunn, as long as he keeps his dirty drug tests secret for a year or so, he should be back with the E in no time.

Poor Billy Gunn, as long as he keeps his dirty drug tests secret for a year or so, he should be back with the E in no time.

It was weird, because I think it was something he was taking for bodybuilding that's legal there, but not in WWE, or vice versa, I'm not sure. He wasn't competing in-ring though, so it's strange that it would immediately cost him his job.

Streets of Fire wasn't a hit in the US, but it was a pretty big deal in my country, Japan. "Tonight Is What It Means To Be Young" was covered in Japanese by Megumi Shiina as "Kon'ya wa Angel" (Tonight an Angel) and was the theme song for a 1986 prime time TV drama called "Janus no Kagami" (Mirror of Janus). The song was a hit and peaked at #7 on the Japanese Oricon pop chart. Japan is the third biggest music market in the world, behind the US and UK.

Here's the amazingly bad opening for Janus no Kagami: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se1rM9UH-ZA

I love this movie and the soundtrack, particularly the Fire Inc songs... But you just made my entire week with this amazingly amazing Janus no Kagami opening. I'm in your debt. I once had the Streamline dub VHS of Zillions... Somehow never made the connection, but you're totally right. Maybe not a remake, but certainly heavily inspired by.

• Like 1

just finished it. i didnt hate it. for some reason i loved the first 7 minutes of it (80s nostalgia i suppose). great energy. and really enjoyed it whenever willem defoe (the shithead) was on screen but the rest of it just made me wish i was watching the warriors again.

gotta love deborah van valkenburg ...

the-warriors-1979-deborah-van-valkenburgh-michael-beck-pic-2.jpg

• Like 3

Speaking of which, I saw Chris Evans up close both then and also when he was in full Cap mode, and he is quite the handsome gentleman. What do the ladies generally think of him?

My Avengers Attractiveness List. I apologize if this has been done on the forums before.

1. Chris Evans (I'm not usually attracted to blondes but he's the exception to the rule)

2. Mark Ruffalo

3. Jeremy Renner

4. ScarJo (nothing but envy here)

5. Robert Downey Jr.

6. Chris Hemsworth (He follows my non-blonde rule)

Chris Evans is just wonderful. He pulls off being blonde and he can grow a great beard. I appreciate a solid beard. I think growing up in the Great White North has pre-dispositioned me to finding a beard attractive.

Speaking of the Great White North and beards...

giphy.gif

• Like 2