🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 127.5 - Minisode 127.5

Hey Everyone

Just saw these comments. Just wanted to add my two cents.

1.) Blake has never dictated an article. I always pick movies with Avaryl (Movie Bitches) and Nate - they often have seen them before and we try to find stuff that will breed an interesting conversation and be fun and different. But back to Blake after the movie is picked I tell him what we are doing. His approval isn't a consideration for me. Truly it's not. Sometimes he can't get that many people from the films like Death Spa and FF.

2.) These are companion pieces that are posted on a film site - if you really wanted to hear some inside stories - you can read them. But they aren't exclusive to enjoying the show. I think they are fun to read but it's not a must and you aren't missing anything if you don't. It's like a DVD commentary track - if you choose to listen you can but you don't have to. I don't.

3.) The mini eps and the articles are purely separate, I like reading a little something from them at the top of the mini but it's just a about a minute. What I pick to read in a mini has NOTHING to do with what was or was not covered in Blake's article. I think once or twice I've joked shamed people and sometimes I know that a thoroughly researched answer is in the article and I'll point to it. But that's it. I'm pretty much a one man band and combing through pages and pages of posts - I definitely gravitate to ones that have really crazy theories and point a finger at stuff we missed or talk about something that I didn't realize. Backstage stuff is less interesting to me unless it's really mindblowing. I just think the other types of posts are more entertaining. Also I try to pass the ball a bit and not read 3 posts from the same person. Most people aren't on the board, I try to make the minis engaging for those who don't post and if they are interested they can read themselves.

4.) Re: Canon Films. I think they are fun. We aren't doing them exclusively. We try to move it around and we get into different territories. For awhile people were upset with 80's movies. So we movies to 90's for 2. Now we are

Going to musicals for 2. We just find what's the most fun and chase it down. Same reason we picked Star Wars because it was something different and it seemed right.

I love feedback. I love that you all listen and I'm bummed I almost missed this. Maybe I should set up a forum just for questions and maybe figure out how to get a vote system started for movies.

Thanks for this all.

• Like 7

Hey Everyone

1.) Blake has never dictated an article. I always pick movies with Avaryl (Movie Bitches) and Nate - they often have seen them before and we try to find stuff that will breed an interesting conversation and be fun and different. But back to Blake after the movie is picked I tell him what we are doing. His approval isn't a consideration for me. Truly it's not. Sometimes he can't get that many people from the films like Death Spa and FF.

2.) These are companion pieces that are posted on a film site - if you really wanted to hear some inside stories - you can read them. But they aren't exclusive to enjoying the show. I think they are fun to read but it's not a must and you aren't missing anything if you don't. It's like a DVD commentary track - if you choose to listen you can but you don't have to. I don't.

3.) The mini eps and the articles are purely separate, I like reading a little something from them at the top of the mini but it's just a about a minute. What I pick to read in a mini has NOTHING to do with what was or was not covered in Blake's article. I think once or twice I've joked shamed people and sometimes I know that a thoroughly researched answer is in the article and I'll point to it. But that's it. I'm pretty much a one man band and combing through pages and pages of posts - I definitely gravitate to ones that have really crazy theories and point a finger at stuff we missed or talk about something that I didn't realize. Backstage stuff is less interesting to me unless it's really mindblowing. I just think the other types of posts are more entertaining. Also I try to pass the ball a bit and not read 3 posts from the same person. Most people aren't on the board, I try to make the minis engaging for those who don't post and if they are interested they can read themselves.

4.) Re: Canon Films. I think they are fun. We aren't doing them exclusively. We try to move it around and we get into different territories. For awhile people were upset with 80's movies. So we movies to 90's for 2. Now we are

Going to musicals for 2. We just find what's the most fun and chase it down. Same reason we picked Star Wars because it was something different and it seemed right.

I love feedback. I love that you all listen and I'm bummed I almost missed this. Maybe I should set up a forum just for questions and maybe figure out how to get a vote system started for movies.

Thanks for this all.

PAUL FUCKING SCHEER!

F2OHX1QH1LWPJLY.LARGE.gif

• Like 4

Hey Everyone

Thanks for this all.

Thanks, Paul! I'm glad you were able to give us your perspective (or second opinion, if you will) and answer some of our questions around the Blake articles.

Also, as someone who was shamed in an ep, I know it's all in good fun.

But Streets of Fire still isn't a musical :)

• Like 3

Hey Everyone

Thanks for this all.

Wow, thank you Paul for posting this! I honestly just brought it up as a discussion topic as a means to keep the boards active between main episodes and I certainly meant no disrespect to either you, your wonderful interns, or Blake. Frankly, I think most of us take our public mini episode shaming as a badge of honor. I for one have no qualm with getting shouted down as I'm usually just glad if you or Nate find anything I have to say even remotely interesting and worthy to be read.

I agree Cannon films can be fun--in small doses.

Sincerely, I love the show, not just for the content, but for the fun place it provides for me to go and waste my time with like minded people as I aggressively underachieve at a dead end job. :)

I would love it if there were a place where we could go and ask you questions, although I would suggest you set some limits as to what types of questions you're looking for. Otherwise you're going to get a flood of dumb-dumbs asking you when you guys are going to do such-and-such movie.

As far as voting is concerned, I'm torn by that. Personally, I think you guys do a fantastic job picking them for us. Maybe if, like, options were provided? Otherwise, you'll be doing crap like The Phantom Menace, and Lord knows that's one dead horse that doesn't need any more beating. Most of all, I just want this to remain fun for you, Jason, and June. As much as I didn't like the idea of Blake steering the ship, I don't really want us to do that either. Nobody wants you guys to burn out.

Thanks again! We love to hear from you as well!

• Like 4

I would love it if there were a place where we could go and ask you questions, although I would suggest you set some limits as to what types of questions you're looking for. Otherwise you're going to get a flood of dumb-dumbs asking you when you guys are going to do such-and-such movie.

PFT did this really well in his Ask Paul thread that's pinned at the top of the Spontaneanation forum. He started getting a bunch of people asking if X or Y person was going to be on, and he finally said something to the effect of, "This is the last time I'm answering this because eventually someone's going to ask about someone I don't want to invite, and I don't want to sound like a jerk."

• Like 4

I feel like Zardoz just came down and spit a bunch of guns at us!

• Like 4

Paul we got to get some Madonna love going here, it's gone on far too long unnoticed. I am looking at Body of Evidence.

• Like 1

I always pick movies with Avaryl (Movie Bitches)

if you havent watched movies bitches on youtube then you're missing out, Avaryl and Andrew are hilarious and are spot on pretty much all the time. they deserve way more viewers / subscribers. i wouldnt even mind if they filled in for jason or june the next time they have to miss a studio episode

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNaNtF7f4kZrFyl7M4rDNcQ

Maybe I should set up a forum just for questions and maybe figure out how to get a vote system started for movies.

It was called "FYI", and Shariq Torres (RIPossible?) and Shannon devoted a lot of their time to it, and it was so infrequently used that it took months for anyone to notice it went offline. ;)

I agree 100% with Cameron H's assessment. The moment you feel beholden to votes rather than your own choices is the beginning of a downward trajectory where the show becomes homework instead of fun. Compare this to the final 6-9 months of Professor Blastoff, which were done out perceived obligation to listeners, and Tig and Kyle and David just sounded exhausted most of the time.

We can set up a pinned Q&A thread in a few seconds, although as Fister Roboto mentioned, it would be good to have ground rules established in the first post to avoid a lot of unnecessary noise.

• Like 3

if you havent watched movies bitches on youtube then you're missing out, Avaryl and Andrew are hilarious and are spot on pretty much all the time. they deserve way more viewers / subscribers. i wouldnt even mind if they filled in for jason or june the next time they have to miss a studio episode

https://www.youtube....4kZrFyl7M4rDNcQ

I hadn't watched any of their videos before, but I just watched the first two minutes of their review of The Revenant, and it's probably the first review of that movie I've agreed with.

Sooooo, they're off to a good start.

• Like 2

Hey Everyone

Thanks for this all.

Oh gosh Paul my southern hospitality is about to come out cause you are just way too kind to us plebs!

I have to agree with everything mentioned above! We know y'all would never seriously shame your listeners for anything (unless it was a dumb-dumb that was just trolling the shit out of you) and I don't think Fister, myself, or anyone else who was pointed out in a mini-ep is suddenly gonna be a jackass to y'all because of it. In fact I'm just delighted that I am noticed by the all-knowing entity that is Paul Sheer!

Having someone like Blake devote his time to all the research and writing is admirable! I personally just wanted to make sure I wasn't slacking off on our end of the occasion as fans if I chose not to engage in that area. And it sounds like I'm not! I love commenting on this forum and I'm glad to hear that with the addition of Blake's articles nothing ever has to change.

The three of y'all created something special with this show and I think all of us here are better for it lol.

Thank you Paul!

P.S: Does this mean you actually did appreciate my in depth analysis of the Ninja Turtles versus their historical counterparts? You don't understand how proud of that one I am.

• Like 2

I just think the other types of posts are more entertaining. Also I try to pass the ball a bit and not read 3 posts from the same person. Most people aren't on the board, I try to make the minis engaging for those who don't post and if they are interested they can read themselves.

But past 3 posts is basically this whole board, isn't it?

THANKS EVERYONE!

We all love these forums thanks for keeping them going so strong. We are always looking for ways to do things better so I'm always down to hear opinions. Sadly I couldn't figure out how to add a Selleck GIF in my last post but I would have.

So a big "no" on voting, I think you are all right about this. We tried to do it before and I never really checked it.

Re: Streets of Fire - it's a not a Musical but it's a Rock N Fable which is kind of a musical. So I think it counts. Because a rock and Roll Fable is closer to a musical than it is an action movie.

Re: Forum I think the forum could really be related to anything around the show -- Pretty much anything but, "When are you going to do (BLANK) movie?", "Will you have on (BLANK GUEST)?" and any silly question that would be posted in a FB Q&A . That might be a good start.

• Like 5

So a big "no" on voting, I think you are all right about this. We tried to do it before and I never really checked it.

I think the #SharnadoNo #SharknadoYes vote on twitter went over really well. Maybe once or twice a year you could pick a few movies and do a twitter poll?

• Like 1

Re: Forum I think the forum could really be related to anything around the show -- Pretty much anything but, "When are you going to do (BLANK) movie?", "Will you have on (BLANK GUEST)?" and any silly question that would be posted in a FB Q&A . That might be a good start.

I created a new thread where everyone can post questions for Paul. Go wild!

• Like 1

Hey Dan, I didn't want to taint the new thread with this, but you may want to add, "No asking when you'll come to [MY HOMETOWN/CITY NEAR ME]. I can imagine that would get really annoying.

• Like 1

Hey Dan, I didn't want to taint the new thread with this, but you may want to add, "No asking when you'll come to [MY HOMETOWN/CITY NEAR ME]. I can imagine that would get really annoying.

Good point, Cameron. I added another rule to the list.

• Like 1