đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 223 - Half-a-SWARM 2: LIVE from UCBSunset

Andy Daly, Sean Conroy, and Billy Merritt are members of the legendary improv team The SWARM and this week they join Matt Besser for a LIVE improv4humans from the UCB's Sunset theater in Hollywood California! Listen as they catch people swimming in MLK's reflecting pool burial ground, follow an employee who pushes the envelope on wearing what they want at their job, and work on their "Rock, Paper, Scissors" subliminals. Plus, We Need To Talk About Kevin shares the New Year's Resolutions of the humons on Hollywood Blvd and an audience member tells us a story about an unexpected visit from a family member he's never met before. Make sure to sign up for Seeso.com to get Matt Besser’s new standup special “Besser Breaks the Record” and the new live comedy show filmed at the UCB theaters called “The UCB Show”.

PSA: Besser was on Jon Gabrus' podcast this week!

It was a really interesting episode too. Besser has some great stories. After listening to I4H for so long I'm surprised I hadn't already heard the stories he told on High and Mighty. If Besser got together some of the oldschool UCB people and they just spent a podcast going through stories about UCB throughout the years I'd be super hyped. Seems like something that would be good for Howl.

Obviously this live episode was to notch as well. Can't go wrong with a line up like that. Maybe it's just me though, but I found the crowd to be a little tough. Maybe they just weren't mic'd well, but is it an LA thing to be a little more offended/skimpy with the laughs? I was losing it at several points while next to nothing was coming from the crowd.

• Like 2

I'm just throwing it out there, but picking on that poor girl in the first "on the street" segment was bullshit. Either there was a complete misunderstanding of the immigrant experience, or everyone was being a piece of shit for the sake of being one, but it's pretty clear she wasn't talking about how to get to her physical home. She was talking about home as in the Philippines. Holidays are incredibly tough on immigrants, and many of them, regardless of why they're in the US, still consider where they're from to be home.

So for Kevin to needle her, use the segment, and then have you all pile on her is pretty fucking low. I can guarantee you Kevin wouldn't go into an inner city area and then have you all make fun of black people in an "on the street" segment. But hey, they're an immigrant from Asia, so that's allowed for some reason. I mean, it's definitely not as rude or misguided or offensive as saying everyone from Arkansas is a racist.

Also, can someone teach Kevin how to use the fucking equipment?

I just relistened to her interview. I thought it was pretty clear she was saying it was her first time on Hollywood Blvd and she wasn't sure how to get back home from where she was (on Hollywood Blvd). The sentence before that she says the hardest part of the transition for her has been not knowing anyone or "any of the places" (for instance Hollywood Blvd). Furthermore, Sean even states that the interview is "fucking sad".

Based on all that overwhelming evidence I would agree that yes, you definitely have the makings of at least two Yo Is This Racist episodes here.

• Like 1

I thought it was fine. Some people, even immigrants during holidays, can give an interview that can be made fun of.

Loved this whole episode.

Sign in to follow this