🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 128 - Streets of Fire: LIVE!

On first look, it's almost like Michael Pare was a very poor man's Michael Beck, when I read his name, I was sure I saw him in bigger movies, not a bunch of shitty Uwe Boll movies.

Anyone else think that Tom Cody was just a shitty Kyle Reese? (even though this movie came out several months before Terminator)

I love this movie, but I feel like you made a glaring omission in overlooking that Tom Cody ends the movie as a MUCH bigger villain than Raven, and the residents of The Battery are actually much more upstanding than the supposedly "innocent" part of town.

Yes, Raven kidnaps Ellen. A crime, we can all agree. In a normal movie, though, you can imagine that the heroes' plan would involve infiltrating Raven's hideout, rescuing Ellen, and maybe, MAYBE if Raven provokes a showdown, you take him down. And all along the way, you work to spare innocent lives and stop the violence from spreading or escalating, because that's what you expect movie heroes to do.

In "Streets of Fire", though, Tom Cody's "plan" isn't even a plan, he just opens fire indiscriminately on anyone riding a motorcycle, causing massive death and destruction. He unilaterally raises the stakes from kidnapping to mass murder.

What's even crazier is that, when Raven swears revenge, you can imagine his gang coming out of the Battery on a killing spree in the name of all his dead gang members. But instead of a vengeful massacre, he requests for a fair one-on-one fight with Cody. Raven is the only character in the movie who ever tries to contain the escalating violence between the two sides of town and keep the focus on the one responsible - Cody.

To punctuate this, when the townspeople all draw their guns on the bikers, you realize that everyone in the supposedly "nice" part of town has the same problem as Cody of crazily escalating a tense situation to the point where murder is much more likely to result. Which takes us completely through the looking glass to realize that when Raven and his gang stole Ellen to begin with, all her heat-packing hometown neighbors LET IT HAPPEN.

• Like 3

better? worse???

20sarnk.jpg

also, if paul mccartney had played the part he would have been 42? diane lane was 18?

Now that FISTER ROBOTO pointed out that he was actually offered Diane's role I think we need to fix this.

• Like 2

Now that someone pointed out that he was actually offered Diane's role I think we need to fix this.

"Someone" indeed...

Now that FISTER ROBOTO pointed out that he was actually offered Diane's role I think we need to fix this.

I 100% want to see a shot for shot remake of this, with the only difference being McCartney is Pare's lost love. Please, someone make a poster of Pare tenderly embracing Sir Paul!

Anyone else think that Tom Cody was just a shitty Kyle Reese? (even though this movie came out several months before Terminator)

I saw him more as OT Han Solo by way of John Wayne and Humphrey Bogart. I haven't seen Pare in anything else, but I can only assume he was making an acting choice.

ANOTHER movie where people use sledgehammers in a way that doesn't make any sense?

It's Heavy Metal, bro! How else could that fight have gone down?

• Like 2

Long time listener, first time poster. I felt compelled to comment on this episode because this movie is, indeed, one of my husband's favorites. I'm not dead (yet).

In fact, we watched this movie on our very first date.

We got drinks at a bar, he said, "Want to go back to my place and play Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers on NES and watch Streets of Fire?"

I said, "Why the hell not."

This movie got him laid. We've been married almost three years now.

• Like 11

Long time listener, first time poster. I felt compelled to comment on this episode because this movie is, indeed, one of my husband's favorites. I'm not dead (yet).

In fact, we watched this movie on our very first date.

We got drinks at a bar, he said, "Want to go back to my place and play Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers on NES and watch Streets of Fire?"

I said, "Why the hell not."

This movie got him laid. We've been married almost three years now.

And that man's name was Michael Paré.

• Like 7

i only saw the warrirors for the first time last summer and i bloody loved it. it was part of the DLMChallenge. that same weekend i watched near dark for the first time (had a bit of an 80s cult movie weeked) and the great bill paxton was in it,

this has nothing to do with streets of fire but bill paxton has one of those moments in near dark that steals the whole movie with one line. it was amazing. ill post it below but if you havent seen near dark dont watch it cause its a great moment that should be experienced as part of the whole movie.

• Like 1

i only saw the warrirors for the first time last summer and i bloody loved it. it was part of the DLMChallenge. that same weekend i watched near dark for the first time (had a bit of an 80s cult movie weeked) and the great bill paxton was in it,

I'm doing the DLM Challenge this year, so I'm probably going to check out The Warriors as part of it. And now I'll probably add Near Dark to it as well.

• Like 2

I'm doing the challenge again to see if I can beat my last tally, since I wasn't really trying until 6 months in last year. Already got a good pace going and I keep finding insane things to watch on Amazon or Netflix so it shouldn't be too hard.

• Like 1

Speaking of challenges I highly recommend that while completing the DLM challenge that you work in the 52 films by women. I'm find that easier to complete than any other film challenge and it's a great way to support female directors!

• Like 6

I loved this movie, un-ironically. I don't know if its particularly good, mind you, but the visuals, music, and style really hit me hard as a kid when I saw it on local TV. There's little to no logic to the plot and essentially 0 character development - sort of trademarks of Walter Hill, honestly - but the mishmash of B-movie nonsense hit my subconscious in a good way.

• Like 2

Speaking of challenges I highly recommend that while completing the DLM challenge that you work in the 52 films by women. I'm find that easier to complete than any other film challenge and it's a great way to support female directors!

But what if I don't like women?

• Like 2

But what if I don't like women?

Then you've been doing a good job at hiding your disdain of me

• Like 4

i posted this in the mini thread but for those who dont partake in those heres a great video someone put together with the best bits (well, most of the best bits) of the movie and the first song, nowhere fast. i think it makes the movie look amazing. so if you dont want to watch the movie or cant find it ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yub3-Ow7tBs

• Like 2

Then you've been doing a good job at hiding your disdain of me

How have I been doing? My irrational, seething rage for you is the food from which I nourish myself... :)

200.gif

• Like 4

Rescue Rangers NES Game:Duck Tales NES Game::This Movie:The Warriors

• Like 1

How have I been doing? My irrational, seething rage for you is the food from which I nourish myself... :)

1436073891491228076.jpg

• Like 3