🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 128 - Streets of Fire: LIVE!

The one line in this movie that gave me pause was when Ellen Aim said to Cody, "I hate you for taking money [for rescuing me]." Based on my previously posted theory, I guess it makes sense in terms of "selling out," but in terms of the literal plot of the movie, why shouldn't he take money for rescuing her? Their split was acrimonious, she's with another man, and he seems to have moved on. Under those circumstances, if he's going to put his life on the line to rescue her, why shouldn't he be compensated for that? At least he's cares enough to do something. He could have just said, "Not my problem" and peaced the Hell out.

• Like 2

Then you've been doing a good job at hiding your disdain of me

It's only to lull you into a false sense of security so that I can more easily destroy you when the time comes.

• Like 2

856837daa5d9bdfafc6ab56ed680128fcde52d8320a50982a56faf0b7e222ac6.jpg

giphy.gif

You'll see the power eventually.

It's only to lull you into a false sense of security so that I can more easily destroy you when the time comes.

I can't tell which one of us is the true Sith lord now. Well done.

• Like 3

Possible Omission:

Why has no one brought up the fact that Tom basically doomed this city due to his actions, even though he beat Raven? This gang has already shown that its numbers are way more than the available number of men willing to fight in the city, and Raven has shown himself to be a poor loser. Also this gang is incredibly active at night, so my question is what's to stop them from sneaking back at night and completely massacre-ing this entire city a la Dogville, especially now that Tom and McCoy are gone?

Their split was acrimonious, she's with another man, and he seems to have moved on. Under those circumstances, if he's going to

put his life on the line to rescue her, why shouldn't he be compensated for that? At least he's cares enough to do something. He could have just said, "Not my problem" and peaced the Hell out.

That is usually what's done in most movies where they don't give a shit until money is offered, so this is at least trying to be different by Tom just going "yeah, I'll save her, but you're going to pay me" without any hesitation.

• Like 2

Also - not sure if Blake Harris will cover this, but I believe when Rick Moranis appeared on the Nerdist podcast he indicated that when this project was pitched to him, it was right after producer Joel Silver had made enormous money with "48 Hours", and that Silver told him that this would be an action-comedy hybrid that would do the same thing for his career that "48 Hours" did for Eddie Murphy. Moranis did not indicate how much cocaine Silver was on when he claimed this.

• Like 1

As another poster pointed out some of the songs sounded like lost Meatloaf songs. Well at least one of them was.

Wikipedia says: "Nowhere Fast" is a song, performed by Fire Inc. in 1984 for the rock movie Streets of Fire. An alternate version of the song was recorded by Meat Loaf the same year.

Also IMDB says Kathy Griffin is one of the concert goers.

As pointed out in the pod cast the "Battery" takes a real long time to get to. When they left it really seamed like the morning with the scenes in the diner. However, they don't arrive until 10:00 PM at night. I think Ed B Jr says it 10. I know someone did in the pre-rescue scene. That is like a 12 hour trip! Can you imaging having a rival gang from another time zone. We're talking 24 hour round trip to kiss rape some girls. Is there really no place closer?

I think when Rick Moranis says later " just a couple of hours drive.." That line was just add to make up for the night/day discrepancy. But it was morning Dude.

• Like 1

Best instance of a twerpy glasses guy playing a total asshole in an action movie since Clarence Boddicker in Robocop.

"Bitches, leave!"

The "I Can Dream About You" sequence featuring "The Sorels" (which I fuckin' loved, because, well, you have ears and eyes) helped me win a bet with my wife. In pointing out two of the background singers (one of which is Hollywood Shuffle screenwriter and director Robert Townsend), I also recognized Grand L. Bush (Lethal Weapon, License To Kill, Street Fighter, etc.), better known to Die Hard (R.I.P. Alan Rickman) enthusiasts as FBI Agent "Little" Johnson.

No, the other one.

My wife was dubious. But I knew it was him. I knew it! He was in junior high during Viet Nam, assholes. And sure enough, one IMDB search later, I was victorious.

"We're gonna need more FBI guys, I guess."

• Like 2

Best instance of a twerpy glasses guy playing a total asshole in an action movie since Clarence Boddicker in Robocop.

That character was not a total asshole, just a psychopath and maybe one of the most underrated performances in action movie history.giphy.giftumblr_lk2k5o6dw11qi66kho1_250.gif

• Like 4

Mykelti Williamson, aka Bubba from Forrest Gump and Baby-O from Con Air, also played one of the Sorels just in case you missed him.

• Like 2

I always loved "Streets Of Fire".

I wore out the soundtrack on cassette TWICE.

And watched the VHS until it croaked.

Dated, cheesy, incoherent? Yes.

Here's the spoof.

12647410_10154043191206535_3276101231048471336_n.jpg?oh=33dcd4ddfb9388624d5b92a8dc2fdbb5&oe=5748C37B

• Like 11

All I could think about the plot of this movie (and I use that term reluctantly) is that it reminded me of The Iliad, but much dumber. Ellen is Helen of Troy, and Raven as Paris, and Moranis's Billy Fish character as Menelaus (and either Tom or Reva as Hector).

Given that The Warriors is based loosely on Anabasis by Xenophon, I wonder if Streets of Fire was also trying to put a greaser street gang spin on an ancient work?

Maybe I'm reaching a bit too far, but it's the only way I could make sense of this mess.

• Like 4

I continue to be fascinated that this was planned as a trilogy. Hoping Road to Hell gets released. In the clips on YouTube, Roxy Gunn looks uncannily like she could be Ellen Aim's daughter (she is billed as

Ellen Dream and from the clips it sounds like she is the daughter of Tom and Ellen). They even have her perform the same two Steinman songs from Streets. The titles say "Albert Pyun's 50th film". Confusingly, another singer sings a song called "Streets of Fire" over the end credits. Kickstart it already...

• Like 3

As another poster pointed out some of the songs sounded like lost Meatloaf songs. Well at least one of them was.

Wikipedia says: "Nowhere Fast" is a song, performed by Fire Inc. in 1984 for the rock movie Streets of Fire. An alternate version of the song was recorded by Meat Loaf the same year.

That's because Jim Steinman wrote it, who also wrote all Meat Loaf's albums for about 20 years.

Also, speaking of the music, the song they play at the end as they're arriving at the big fight is "Rumble" by Link Wray. You might recognize it from Pulp Fiction, Independence Day, Blow, or...a deleted scene from The Warriors.

• Like 3

They touched upon this briefly, but Tom and Billy butted heads the entire time through this movie UNTIL Tom fucks Billy's girlfriend. After that Billy seems to have nothing but respect for Tom. Not only that, Tom and Ellen make out again just before he leaves town. This movie clearly has zero respect for Billy and Ellen's relationship.

• Like 2

g

Diane Lane as Other Lady.

better? worse???

20sarnk.jpg

also, if paul mccartney had played the part he would have been 42? diane lane was 18?

And the swap. Creepy.

12573691_10154043199391535_7796746163616939753_n.jpg?oh=02fa4df0f465adf4c998679c99d3f858&oe=572A72BE

• Like 6

At the time of writing, this movie is rated a 6.7 on IMDB. Which means it has a higher rating than all of the following movies:

• Antichrist (also starring Dafoe)
  • Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome
  • Attack the Block
  • Zoolander
  • Freaky Friday
  • Legally Blonde
  • Mars Attacks!
  • Weekend at Bernie's (feel the Bern)
  • Fame
  • Footloose
  • Flashdance
  • My Best Friend's Wedding
  • My Big Fat Greek Wedding
  • Mamma Mia!
  • Pocahontas
  • Teen Witch

And many more.

• Like 4

At the time of writing, this movie is rated a 6.7 on IMDB. Which means it has a higher rating than all of the following movies:

• Antichrist (also starring Dafoe)
  • Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome
  • Attack the Block
  • Zoolander
  • Freaky Friday
  • Legally Blonde
  • Mars Attacks!
  • Weekend at Bernie's (feel the Bern)
  • Fame
  • Footloose
  • Flashdance
  • My Best Friend's Wedding
  • My Big Fat Greek Wedding
  • Mamma Mia!
  • Pocahontas
  • Teen Witch

And many more.

Actually surprised Attack the Block, Zoolander, and Pocahontas are that low.

• Like 2

This movie is one of those ahead-of-their-time (or the result of too much cocaine) movies from the 80s that are far from perfect but I love anyway (see also Flash Gordon, Buckaroo Banzai, etc.) so it was fun to hear something I truly dig being talked about. I'm a sucker for Walter Hill movies so I'm an easy mark. I love it so much I had to comment after years of forgetting to do so!

So glad to hear Jason enjoying it. Count me in on wanting to know what that trilogy would've been like. Haven't seen it but I've read about the Albert Pyun-made fan film sequel but it sounds pretty terrible - I mean, Cody is now a serial killer in that one! I would've loved to hear Paul and the gang to talk about that bonkers nonsense.

• Like 3

I was kind of bummed to see that Jessica Pare (Don Draper's actress wife on "Mad Men") is of no relation to Michael Pare, but that doesn't mean that we can't add it to Wiki and IMDB trivia...

• Like 2