🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 128 - Streets of Fire: LIVE!

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen ANYONE get attacked with a sledgehammer properly. You're just hitting your HAND, Triple H!

Triple-H-hitting-Shawn-Michaels-with-a-Sledge-Hammer_crop_340x234.jpg?1324017133

• Like 6

I was 12 when this movie first came out and I loved it. Then time passed, I rewatched it in 1996 and didn't love it nearly as much but still enjoyed it. I rewatched Streets of Fire over the weekend specifically because HDTGM was reviewing it.

This movie is insane. It might be the sweatiest movie I've ever seen. I mean like everyone is glistening like they just played 12 games of dodgeball!

It is open to debate which is the worse Walter Hill movie, this or Another 48 Hours

• Like 1

I'm generally confused. That dancer when they first walked into Torchy's with the gstring and fishnets was a dude right?

streetsoffire3.jpg

• Like 2

I'm generally confused. That dancer when they first walked into Torchy's with the gstring and fishnets was a dude right?

streetsoffire3.jpg

Nope. That's Marine Jahan. She doubled for Jennifer Beals in Flashdance.

• Like 1

jarrycanada I took a page from your book and made my title my biker gang. As if we weren't all creating one for ourselves anyway.

• Like 1

Want something truly bizarre? Try watching this 1988 Bollywood flick (Tezaab) that was supposedly inspired by (and is a loose, and I mean loose) remake of Streets of Fire. It was a smash. In India.

bollywood-hollywood-remake-6.jpg

• Like 1

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen ANYONE get attacked with a sledgehammer properly. You're just hitting your HAND, Triple H!

Triple-H-hitting-Shawn-Michaels-with-a-Sledge-Hammer_crop_340x234.jpg?1324017133

HEY! The Game knows what he's doing when he uses that sledgehammer, he is the Cerebral Assassin after all.

He asked for a meme, here you go. I love this throwaway line.

To be fair, the first time I saw Tokyo in the rain (with all the neon glaring on the street and people bustling), I thought it looked exactly like Bladerunner.

post-117250-0-29477200-1453858640_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I am glad The Renegades because it gives me an excuse to share the greatest TV intro of all time.

Also, Michael Pare was not in The Renegades, but a young Patrick Swayze (also mentioned in the episode) was.

I was looking on IMDB and I note with shock and not a bit of horror that Pare has 24 projects active between 2015 and 2016. Seven of those are for 2016. And it's January.

Also, were they being funny when the guy yelled "Greatest American Hero" and they responded, "He wasn't in that?". I thought they were mocking the guy because everyone knew Pare was in that show.

Just read the Blake Harris oral history and he mentioned a nice write up by Greil Marcus (famous rock critic). Here it is.

http://greilmarcus.n...s-of-fire-0994/

I caught the last 20 minutes of this urban never-never-land rock fable on A&E one afternoon (cast: Diane Lane, Michael Pare, Willem Dafoe, Rick Moranis, Amy Madigan, Lee Ving, Bill Paxton, Ed Begley, Jr., the Blasters, Robert Townsend), waited out the plot for the final musical number, and had my memories of the film dissolved by the wonder of what goes on. There’s a tremendous unreality to the sound and staging of “Tonight Is What It Means to Be Young”—it’s thrilling but in a prickly, disturbing way. Music videos have never come within centuries of what Hill (and Jeffrey Hornaday, the choreographer) does here with every gesture. Contradictions are the medium: singer Lane’s dress is at once tight and hanging on her like a piece of paper, slit all the way down in back—she’s not thin. The perfection of every move, every cut, is scary, and the sense that this isn’t happening is overpowering: it’s as if this is no performance but a transmission to the stage, by unknown technology, of your deepest performance fantasies. The audience waves its arms, and you peer through them: at the way the drummer, shot from below, makes the beat, the way the guitarist frames Lane with his back to her, his zoot suit touching her skin, the way the black vocal quartet enters the ensemble, strolling and strutting as if they’ve been called forth to walk it like she talks it.

On-screen the music—by some faceless aggregation called Fire, Inc.—sounds a thousand times better than it would on a record. This is exactly right for what you know cannot be real: the many female and for all I know male voices coming out of Lane’s mouth. There’s no way in the world what you’re seeing is making the sound you hear, but you can believe the performers, in character, know this as well as you do. As you, in the audience, watch, the performers are projecting their own fantasies onto themselves, desperately, happily, casually, as a matter of life and death. Isn’t this what happens in a real show?

• Like 1

I am glad The Renegades because it gives me an excuse to share the greatest TV intro of all time.

Also, Michael Pare was not in The Renegades, but a young Patrick Swayze (also mentioned in the episode) was.

I didn't even know this was a show. Like people in the audience, I thought Jason was talking about Renegade from the 90s.

• Like 2

Why didn't Tom Cody take all of Billy Fish's money and give it to McCoy? Maybe he didn't want the money, but I'm sure she would have appreciated it.

Why didn't Tom Cody take all of Billy Fish's money and give it to McCoy? Maybe he didn't want the money, but I'm sure she would have appreciated it.

Her abject poverty clearly doesn't mean as much to him as making a dramatic gesture to Billy Fish and Ellen Aim.

"It's well known that Rick Moranis is a bit of a ass hole here in Canada, so much so that it's become a derogative term. used in a sentenced like " don't go all Moranis on me now. " you would say to a wife or a guy that got on your nerves "

So long as we are throwing shade on the actors of this film, I fell down a Wikipedia rabbit hole looking stuff up on this film and found Michael Pare's "Fan Site," which is amazingly horrible in a delightfully unselfconscious way. It has a 3 page incomplete autobiography by Pare which includes the story of how Pare borrowed a teamster captain's car while looking for an apartment, racked up a bunch of parking tickets that he threw away, then watched the car's owner get arrested for the tickets in front of him and never apologized. Also, this 3-part bio (in which EVERY instance of a free meal on a TV or movie company's tab is documented) just sort of ends with him getting a manager. " Joyce became my unofficial Manager. She was under contract to ABC at the time." THE END. Maybe I'm crazy, but I just got a kick out of the whole experience of this site.

http://michaelpare-fanclub.com

• Like 3

"It's well known that Rick Moranis is a bit of a ass hole here in Canada, so much so that it's become a derogative term. used in a sentenced like " don't go all Moranis on me now. " you would say to a wife or a guy that got on your nerves "

So long as we are throwing shade on the actors of this film, I fell down a Wikipedia rabbit hole looking stuff up on this film and found Michael Pare's "Fan Site," which is amazingly horrible in a delightfully unselfconscious way. It has a 3 page incomplete autobiography by Pare which includes the story of how Pare borrowed a teamster captain's car while looking for an apartment, racked up a bunch of parking tickets that he threw away, then watched the car's owner get arrested for the tickets in front of him and never apologized. Also, this 3-part bio (in which EVERY instance of a free meal on a TV or movie company's tab is documented) just sort of ends with him getting a manager. " Joyce became my unofficial Manager. She was under contract to ABC at the time." THE END. Maybe I'm crazy, but I just got a kick out of the whole experience of this site.

http://michaelpare-fanclub.com

I'm just a lowly extra and sometime production assistant, so if anyone is going to go on at great lengths about how awesome the free meals are, it's going to be us. I expect more from the star of "Eddie and the Cruisers".

Speaking of which, I was working on season 4 of "Banshee" this last summer, and one day, between scenes, there was a guy at catering making quesadillas that looked so delicious, but RIGHT before I could get him to make mine, we got called back to set. I returned after they were done with the shot, but Quesadilla Guy was gone. I'm not exaggerating when I say that that's probably the worst thing that happened to anyone during the production of that, or any season of that show. Fuckin' Hollywood, man. They'll chew you up, spit you out, and deny you a fucking awesome quesadilla...

In happier news, "Outsiders" debuted tonight on WGN. In that show, I appear as a cop that somehow manages to work at every desk in the police station at one point or another during the course of the season. My shining moment will be when one of the main characters hands a prisoner off to me in the eighth episode or so.

• Like 6