🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 128 - Streets of Fire: LIVE!

To Paul and the gang,

Ellen Aim was a "RockStar." Dafoe's character wants her. She's a shining bauble that he's obsessed with. That's why he takes her. To make her "his." Raven is not an ex-boyfriend, he's basically a few steps worse than a stalker.

McCoy isn't gay or straight. She's more fluid than that.

-PIZmeyre

Man, I love Sisters of Mercy and that song. I did not know Steinman produced that! Now that you say it, it is obvious. Wow. Cool trivia!

I sightly misspoke. He "produced" "This Corrosion" and he "co-wrote" and "co-produced" their song "More."

-PIZmeyre

Correction:

It's well known that Rick Moranis is a bit of a ass hole here in Canada, so much so that it's become a derogative term. used in a sentenced like " don't go all Moranis on me now. " you would say to a wife or a guy that got on your nerves.

much used like this popular Canadian saying " hey great one, why don't you take the kids to a movie!"

or "hey great one, why don't you take the trash out!" don't get all Moranis! On me about it, just do it.

and so now you know.

I'm going to take Dolores Umbridge with this statement. Perhaps it is a generational thing but I have literally never heard of this. I asked a couple of older people over the past week about this and they looked at me like I was insane (because of the sentiment, not because of the actual question about Rick Moranis). Same with The Great One, I have never heard this and I grew up as a rink rat, in arenas every weekend.

It feels very aggressive and doesn't make much sense to me. I understand we were all pissed when 99 went to LA but not enough to completely turn him into "that guy". This seems like very localized vernacular.

But I agree, nobody wants a reverse Outsiders story. The thought of Johnny and Dallas raising from the grave just so they can see a movie at the drive-in would be downright ghoulish.

This made my day. Stay gold, Cameron H.

giphy.gif

• Like 3

Yeah, the only connection to Tyler is that Steinman wrote most of Tyler's songs and Nowhere Fast.

Either way it's not fucking Pat Benetar whom I love! haha. It is a very catchy tune though.

A couple things on the Music. When I heard the Ellen Aim music, I thought it sounded like Meatloaf had written it. Turns out it was written and produced by Jim Steinman, the writer and producer of Bat out of Hell.As for the split between the Ellen Aim music and the 50s style music, apparently Walter Hill did not like the 50s style music, but felt they had to stick with it because of the 50s aesthetic in the scenery and clothing.

A couple things on the Music. When I heard the Ellen Aim music, I thought it sounded like Meatloaf had written it. Turns out it was written and produced by Jim Steinman, the writer and producer of Bat out of Hell.As for the split between the Ellen Aim music and the 50s style music, apparently Walter Hill did not like the 50s style music, but felt they had to stick with it because of the 50s aesthetic in the scenery and clothing.

Fun fact: if you had searched just on this page, you would have found the name "Steinman" already mentioned 8 times before you posted.

It seems like there is always one thing that people jump in to mention over and over (I am sure I am guilty of having done it)

• Like 3

It seems like there is always one thing that people jump in to mention over and over (I am sure I am guilty of having done it)

Yeah, but did you know that the adhesive is on the WRONG SIDE of the maxi pad?!

• Like 5

No, you're good--for now. But I've got my eye on you.

1niio08_zps8pc8u4by.gif

• Like 3

It's so quiet today! In lieu of a new minisode, tell me what y'all have watched recently.

I saw a double feature of the Lady Snowblood movies last night. It was awesome. Basically, just three hours of this:

tumblr_mo4ppquBgu1r4zr8xo1_500.gif

Tonight, I'm going to see Lazer Team (the first movie from Rooster Teeth - aka: the guys that did Red vs Blue and RWBY), and then I'm finally getting to see Room tomorrow. I'm also going to try to work in about 6 more movies over the weekend to get caught up on the DLM Challenge I was either traveling or sick for the first few weeks of the month, so I got a bit behind. But I want to be back on track by the end of the month. Soooo, this is really just a not-so-subtle way of asking y'all to tell me some cool shit you've seen that I should check out.

• Like 4

I first saw this movie as a young girl and it seriously effected so many parts of my psyche- and all in fabulous, rocking and fantastical ways. I loved the rockabilly style of the opening, the telegram being typed, the side swipes and the cut clips. I loved the look of timelessness and how you couldn't get a foothold in any set period of time, but still everything seemed cohesive and continual. This helped me understand how time is relevant only to the people that are in it and blew my mind to think that the sepia toned photographs of my grandparents had a colorful reality... I was around 7 years old, so this really was groundbreaking for me.

The story line is simple, but the simplicity of the story is it's beauty because the story is secondary. Secondary to the music, the imagery, the style and set dressing- these are the things I carry in my heart as the story of this film. As a young girl, the "love story" should have been what I hung my hat on, but Cody and Ellen were not my focus. I remember vividly seeing Willem's face come to clarity among the clapping crowd as he sneered and snarled his way into my heart. His androgynous features laying the foundation to my fascination with Bowie and Tilda, and I gobbled him up.

Then you meet McCoy and I remember how badass I thought she was, how she didn't take shit from anyone, how she could exhale smoke rings, how she didn't fall for Cody's bullshit half-assed advances. She was someone I wanted to emulate, someone I wanted to be like. The badass bitch who is respected for what she does and how she does it- as an individual. My young girl mind didn't fully grasp the concept of lesbianism, but I could see that she was different and she acted differently and therefore treated differently- and I loved that.

Suddenly you are in this world where this beautiful androgynous being is fluidly dancing to roars of men and women alike and my young brain exploded. I was so worried about not showing my parents how uncomfortable I was to be witnessing this in front of them, while also grappling with sexual desire and that thumping, pumping music that seemed to match the thumping in my groin. This woman dancing is being inter sliced with images of Raven in the crowd and the beginnings of understanding gender fluidity at its basic level started to well up in me. To the point of, when Raven tells Ellen that he only wants to fall in love for a couple weeks and then it would be over- I wonder why she hasn't already? Why wouldn't she have this awesome affair and then go back to the road with Fish and her boring, famous person lifestyle- full of concert dates and deadlines and other boring stuff. COME ON screamed little girl Tricia, GET IT ON WITH RAVEN!

These moments obviously endear me to this film, these characters lent themselves to me and I remember associating all the freedom and beauty of these moments to the music, to going Nowhere Fast, to celebrate What it Means to Be Young, to hear the Stevie Nicks-esque Sorcerer and want to dabble in the occult, to Dream About someone, maybe someone I couldn't even imagine yet.

I've watched this film probably twice a year since I was that little girl. The VHS got warped. There were those years before it was released on DVD, before there was internet and Amazon that you had to scrounge discount bins at Blockbuster to get a fresh VHS version. There were the times that you thought you were over it, had moved past it, but then you'd be in a grocery store and 'I Can Dream About You' came over the loudspeaker and you'd stop and say, Fuck... I haven't seen Streets of Fire for a while. There were times where you drunkenly made your friends and lovers stay up and watch it, turning it all the way up- singing along to all the songs, repeating your favorite snarky lines, laughing at the obviousness of everything that seemed so fresh and new when you were a kid. You haven't grown out of it... it grows and changes with you.

I fucking love this movie. I wish June would have been on the show for this because I really do think that she would have had a kindred love of it with me. I'm glad Jason agreed, because I'll be honest... I was a little peeved by Rachel and Jessica's instant dissatisfaction with the film... I almost crawled out of my skin when I heard them call music by The Blasters "hillbilly music".

Maybe it isn't for everyone, but damn- it's definitely for me.

• Like 4

Room really took me by surprise. It was a lot less claustrophobic than the premise suggested, and almost certainly featured the best performance from a child under the age of 6-7 (I'm bad at guessing ages) I have ever seen. Which isn't a long list, because most would be limited or terrible. But it was legitimately a terrific performance from someone who probably shouldn't be able to memorize that many lines. I mean, I was in a school play at 8 and could barely remember my two lines. Sometimes, films just bring out performances or feats that absolutely amaze me.

I've kinda hit a film rut since the award contenders, which seems on par for January, I guess. I'm not really feeling anything coming out soon, either. Maybe The Clan. But even Hail, Caesar feels like a meh calendar circle to me. The Witch feels like the next thing I care about.

TV-wise, I'm trying to get into a Starz series. Boss was top-notch TV. I was pissed when that was canceled. And ever since—unrelated to the fact it was canceled, just my personal preferences—I can't get into any of these Starz series I keep reading are way better than they look. I first read that about Spartacus and how it gets really good over time. Can't get past 2 episodes of that. Bailed. Tried Flesh & Bone recently and actually did end up finishing that eventually, but as soon as I could tell they were going to leave us short on whatever the hell Dewey Crowe was up to, I kinda lost interest in really investing myself there. Outlander...I do not agree with critics at all, to put it nicely. 1.5 episodes was my limit. Hard pass.

Now, I'm trying to get into Black Sails after losing interest in its initial run, because everyone is raving about the start season 3 is off to, and sue me but I like pirate settings. I'm actually 5 episodes in and buying the potential of staying with this now, so this is looking like my best shot yet.

• Like 1

It's so quiet today!

Sorry, I've been diligently working on this really in-depth post about the music in Streets of Fire--particularly the opening and closing numbers. When I finally reveal who wrote them...well, let's just say, I think it's really going to turn some heads.

It's Jim Steinman

giphy.gif

• Like 6

This past week I have been catching up on 2015 summer releases and stuff that is about to expire. Over the past week I have watched:

• The Martian - Really enjoyed it, kept me on the edge of my seat.
  • Straight Outta Compton - Enjoyed it, easily one of the best soundtracks of any movie ever. However, I thought it was a weird choice to make it seem like Eazy E had no success without NWA.
  • Ray - I had never seen it, TBH I'm not huge on biopics because they seem to follow a certain format and seem to heavily romanticize the subject, but it wasn't bad. I kept thinking "so that's where that came from in Walk Hard"
  • Kingsman - I liked the first 2 acts of the movie, and I always like when a villain is doing something horrible with an ultimately good aim (ie to save the earth rather than to just steal a bunch of gold), but it became a little too over the top and absurd in the last act. Still, I enjoyed it much more than I had expected to.
  • Assassins - Sometimes I think I am becoming desensitized to bad movies because aside from a few goofy moments I didn't think this movie was all that bad. Maybe I was just expecting something different.
  • Tales From The Darkside: The Movie - I generally enjoy horror anthologies, this one was not the best, not the worst. It had me wondering if there are any HDTGM-worthy horror anthologies.

• Like 2

I fucking love this movie. I wish June would have been on the show for this because I really do think that she would have had a kindred love of it with me. I'm glad Jason agreed, because I'll be honest... I was a little peeved by Rachel and Jessica's instant dissatisfaction with the film... I almost crawled out of my skin when I heard them call music by The Blasters "hillbilly music".

Maybe it isn't for everyone, but damn- it's definitely for me.

Nice of you to share this - I have a lot of affection for it too. Chalk it up to right place, right time, right age for it to make an impression. I loved that Jason repeatedly defended it. I agree, I'd much rather have heard June on this one. When you start off saying, "It was a piece of s**t", it's all downhill from there. I watched The Apple (which is up next) over Christmas break because I saw it mentioned in the Canon films documentary ("Electric Boogalo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films" - highly, highly recommended) on Netflix. The Apple is absolutely terrible (but in horrible, misbegotten way that will be great for the show). This one is not (though the podcast was fun).

• Like 2

I saw a double feature of the Lady Snowblood movies last night. It was awesome.

If you have not seen them I highly recommend the Lone Wolf and Cub movies. It was made by similar people and around the same time. While both films are violence-wise over the top, Lady Snowblood I think are better films. There is something so over the top and fun I think about Lone Wold and Cub though I always go back to it. It's basically 9 hours of this:

tumblr_m7dx5hipro1qedb29o1_500.gif

70s Japan has some great out there stuff. You also have the one of a kind horror film House and the Female Prisoner Scorpion series as well.

• Like 3

• Tales From The Darkside: The Movie - I generally enjoy horror anthologies, this one was not the best, not the worst. It had me wondering if there are any HDTGM-worthy horror anthologies.

That's a good question. The thing that I find with a lot of horror anthologies is that there is usually some good in them. Like how one story is so good it elevates the whole movie. The key would be to find a film in which all the segments are equally HDTGM worthy. The first one that leaps out at me is Nightmares. You have Emilio Estevez as a arcade hustler who is being chased by Atari level graphics, Lance Henriksen in a bad Duel rip off, and a man fighting a giant rat under a house.

• Like 1

There haven't been any complaints about the audio in live episodes for a while now. It's like this place doesn't feel like home anymore!!!

• Like 3

I was shocked to learn that a song I heard on the radio a lot as a kid in the 80s is from this movie. But it's so forgetable that I can't remember the title or how it goes, and I just finished this movie 10 minutes ago.

Also, it seems like both of Diane Lane's songs are so over the top. They're like Jim Steinman songs that Meat Loaf said were not good enough for him to record. Just imagine Meat Loaf in the early 80s telling Steinman that this music is shit, and that's why they really had their falling out.

As far as Tom Cody goes, it feels like the choices he used on which to base his character was really ahead of its time. He played it as a mix of Sylvester Stallone and Dilph Lundgren but more dead inside because he knew this was the peak of his career.

This movie is awesome garbage, and I highly recommend it.

Soooo, this is really just a not-so-subtle way of asking y'all to tell me some cool shit you've seen that I should check out.

To stick with the martial arts theme and stay true to the HDTGM spirit, you can try Ninja III: The Domination.

70s Japan has some great out there stuff. You also have the one of a kind horror film House and the Female Prisoner Scorpion series as well.

I am sure you are well aware, but they have equally out there music too:

(just stick with this one, it goes in some really unexpected directions)

And I love it. I have an affinity for really weird music.

• Like 1