🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 128.5 - Minisode 128.5

The way that Daveed sings as Jefferson with that air of narcissism is soooo fucking brilliant and just the way he goes "whaaaaat" when Madison recommends reaching out to Hamilton gets me every god damn time! Like the more I find out about Jefferson the more I despise him but Daveed makes me want to love him because he's so good at playing him!

Also the cabinet battles are amazing and how I now picture congress communicating with each other.

Oh, well if we're talking awesome character moments...

I love how King George's songs are all done in a kind of Brit-Pop pastiche. I particularly like in "I Know Him" his, "...John Adams?...That poor man, they're going to eat him alive."

I also love in "Stay Alive" the back and forth between Washington and Charles Lee of "Attack!/Retreat!" I'm not sure who does Charles Lee, but from his "I'm a General! Wheeeee!" forward he comes off as delightfully sniveling. It's flawless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuX9MYkKUnI

Another great moment is after the Laurens/Lee duel, Washington's (relatively mild) rebuke of Hamilton in "Meet Me Inside" is met with "Call me 'son' one more time!" Holy shit. It's all so brilliant. He captures his characters so insanely good.

ETA: ....Oh, and I guess The Apple is pretty good too...

Oh, well if we're talking awesome character moments...

I love how King George's songs are all done in a kind of Brit-Pop pastiche. I particularly like in "I Know Him" his, "...John Adams?...That poor man, they're going to eat him alive."

I also love in "Stay Alive" the back and forth between Washington and Charles Lee of "Attack!/Retreat!" I'm not sure who does Charles Lee, but from his "I'm a General! Wheeeee!" forward he comes off as delightfully sniveling. It's flawless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuX9MYkKUnI

Another great moment is after the Laurens/Lee duel, Washington's (relatively mild) rebuke of Hamilton in "Meet Me Inside" is met with "Call me 'son' one more time!" Holy shit. It's all so brilliant. He captures his characters so insanely good.

I think my favorite part about King George's songs are how they're more like love ballads to the colonies. Especially the line, "I'll kill your friends and family to prove my love." I actually kind of choked on air while laughing that was so amazing.

The General Lee yelling "Wheee!" is also one of my favorites! As well as the "Call me son one more time!" just partnered with the beat in the background!

OH! Also when Angelica goes "Burr, you disgust me," and he responds with, "Ah so you discuss me!"

Fuck I love this musical so much!

• Like 1

Fuck I love this musical so much!

Well, I'm not sure anyone else here cares as much as we do, but I'm with you. :D

After listening to it, I was also amazed at just how historically accurate it is--except for Aaron Burr, of course. By all accounts, Burr was, historically, even more of a piece of shit and totally unrepentant. But I like how Miranda manages to humanize him. His desperation when he says, "This man will not make an orphan of my daughter!" speaks so much truth to me. I can totally relate to him, at least on that level, when he is otherwise a cowardly, bag of crap.

This also happens to be my 1000th post! I couldn't be happier that I'm able to use it to praise this musical!

But, since this is my 1000th post, I believe that entitles me to recommend a totally unsolicited movie for HDTGM! To be honest, this is a big decision, and I haven't put that much thought into it. But, since musicals and Cannon films seem to be the order of the day, I would like to use this post to once again put forth Rockula, starring my hero and namesake, Dean Cameron!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZImDpzl630

• Like 1

Question for y'all:

Sometimes Hollywood gets accused of being creatively bankrupt, what with all the sequels, remakes, reboots, etc., but it seems that Broadway is no better, as they've taken some unusual films and made musicals out of them, and then some of THOSE have been turned BACK into movies. What films would you a) like to see turned into an unlikely musical and then B)/> turned into a musical movie? I'm going to start with "The Karate Kid". Can you IMAGINE the climactic performance of "The Best Round"?!?

GO!

• Like 2

Oh, fuck! Screw Chicago. Taylor Anne, where have you been?? Check out my location!!!

I thought that for some unknown reason you were making reference to early 2000s nu metal band Saliva. That is how ignorant I am on the subject of musicals.

• Like 2

Question for y'all:

Sometimes Hollywood gets accused of being creatively bankrupt, what with all the sequels, remakes, reboots, etc., but it seems that Broadway is no better, as they've taken some unusual films and made musicals out of them, and then some of THOSE have been turned BACK into movies. What films would you a) like to see turned into an unlikely musical and then B)/> turned into a musical movie? I'm going to start with "The Karate Kid". Can you IMAGINE the climactic performance of "The Best Round"?!?

GO!

Great question! I actually think "Karate Kid" would be a great as a musical! I'll probably be putting a lot of thought into this over the next couple of hours, but the one that came to mind first, and this is a bit out of left field, but I think you could make a pretty good musical out of Rudy. Granted, the real-life Rudy is kind of a douche, but I'm a real sucker for underdog sports movies. Which is funny considering, I have exactly zero interest in sports in my real life--at least, watching them. I can't explain to you how tedious I find the idea of watching a game of football. For example, I think the Super Bowl may be this weekend...and if it is, I have no idea who's playing. Carolina, maybe? I mean, I really should have warned you all to brace yourselves. I know this all has to be extremely shocking coming from the guy who just 5 or 6 posts regarding a Broadway musical...

But, I think Rudy, as seen on film, has the correct plot trajectory, hits the right beats, and if done right, has the potential be something kind of cool.

• Like 1

I know this all has to be extremely shocking coming from the guy who just 5 or 6 posts regarding a Broadway musical...

Pffft I can keep up with you on Broadway musicals and I still absolutely love football (and baseball and soccer).

I'm a walking contradiction!

Oh and congrats on 1,000 posts!

• Like 1

Great question! I actually think "Karate Kid" would be a great as a musical! I'll probably be putting a lot of thought into this over the next couple of hours, but the one that came to mind first, and this is a bit out of left field, but I think you could make a pretty good musical out of Rudy. Granted, the real-life Rudy is kind of a douche, but I'm a real sucker for underdog sports movies. Which is funny considering, I have exactly zero interest in sports in my real life--at least, watching them. I can't explain to you how tedious I find the idea of watching a game of football. For example, I think the Super Bowl may be this weekend...and if it is, I have no idea who's playing. Carolina, maybe? I mean, I really should have warned you all to brace yourselves. I know this all has to be extremely shocking coming from the guy who just 5 or 6 posts regarding a Broadway musical...

But, I think Rudy, as seen on film, has the correct plot trajectory, hits the right beats, and if done right, has the potential be something kind of cool.

I think that could work well and then be re-translated back into film, combining hard-hitting football action with dance choreography. Also, I'd forgotten that Jason was actually the director of the stage play version of "Karate Kid" on an episode of "Community"!

Just thought of another one: "Red Dawn"! Even though it exists only in my mind, the musical film adaptation of what would surely be the multiple Tony Award winner is already AT LEAST the second best "Red Dawn" movie.

• Like 1

What bout Street Fighter: The Movie: The Musical?

• Like 3

I thought that for some unknown reason you were making reference to early 2000s nu metal band Saliva. That is how ignorant I am on the subject of musicals.

Um...yeah. Which one makes me seem cooler? Because it's that one...

c6a49a47984ab04a0e8ac8c576083291.gif

Pffft I can keep up with you on Broadway musicals and I still absolutely love football (and baseball and soccer).

Oh, I'm sure I can keep up with it, I just don't want to--I presume much to my father's chagrin. :) I do think hockey is kind of fun to watch though. I also enjoyed playing baseball and basketball when i was younger, and there was a time when players and stats and stuff mattered to me. I still have binders full of baseball cards at my house.

So maybe I should clarify, I think watching my son play soccer, baseball, or whatever would be a blast. It's the professional stuff that I could give a shit about.

I'm a walking contradiction!

And that's good. People should broaden their areas of interests. It makes for better conversations.

Oh and congrats on 1,000 posts!

Oh, yeah. My wife's real proud. :mellow:

You should have seen her shaking her head when Paul read my Streets of Fire thing...it's a real source of shame for her.

• Like 3

I think that in 2016, referencing musicals makes you way way way cooler than nu metal.

Ok, mini-ep thread game (to build of of PlanB's question): Which HDTGM movie do you think would make a good musical?

• Like 3

For the record, I would watch the SHIT out of a Karate Kid musical.

Ok, mini-ep thread game: Which HDTGM movie do you think would make a good musical?

Fast Five?

• Like 4

I think that in 2016, referencing musicals makes you way way way cooler than nu metal.

Thanks, that's what I thought. Well, I guess it's back to being super-cool for me then!

Paul_soundchecking_bass.gif

Ok, mini-ep thread game (to build of of PlanB's question): Which HDTGM movie do you think would make a good musical?

Honestly, I think a Devil's Advocate musical could be pretty epic.

Also, if done in an updated Grease-type manner, the Fast & Furious movies could work. Think about it!

• Like 3

For the record, I would watch the SHIT out of a Karate Kid musical.

Fast Five?

You beat me to it.

To answer my own question, Batman and Robin has a very bright over the top aesthetic that I think could translate well to a musical.

The original Wicker Man had some musical elements to it, so that might work. I would love a song titled "How did it get burned?"

• Like 2

To answer my own question, Batman and Robin has a very bright over the top aesthetic that I think could translate well to a musical.

That was honestly my second pick. I think it would lend itself to a really campy musical very well.

• Like 2

The original Wicker Man had some musical elements to it, so that might work. I would love a song titled "How did it get burned?"

Considering Joel Schumacher did the screenplay for The Wiz, I definitely think there's precedence for him to do B&R as a musical.

giphy.gif

I also think Road House: The Musical would be pretty badass. And, although I've never seen the movie, maybe A Winter's Tale would benefit from a musical take...? I figure a lot of internal feelings and thoughts can be expressed in a musical that might actual make A Winter's Tale's story more coherent.

• Like 4

I'm not completely on one side or another regarding musicals, I like Little Shop of Horrors and Rocky Horror and don't mind Grease, but there are others that I can't stand like Chicago and Moulin Rouge. I absolutely loved the Evil Dead musical in Las Vegas and wouldn't mind seeing how they could pull off the American Psycho musical (especially with Matt Smith in the title role).

• Like 2

I had never heard of this movie until it was mentioned on the Streets of Fire thread. Since then I have watched this movie five times! Might be my new favorite HDTGM movie, dethroning No Holds Barred. Never thought I'd see the day.

I really don't get why it's on Amazon Prime, but it can't be rented on Amazon. Luckily I had just bought Amazon Prime because it was on sale a few weeks back. I bought it to watch The Man in the High Castle, based on a Philip K Dick book I read a few years back. Unfortunately the show was a disappointment. :(

• Like 4

Hey. it's my first post!

Just had to say:

1. Hamilton and Lin-Manuel Miranda are fucking awesome.
  2. This movie has made me hate the '70s. To hell with the whole decade, to hell with disco and to hell with glittery thongs.

• Like 2

I had never heard of this movie until it was mentioned on the Streets of Fire thread. Since then I have watched this movie five times! Might be my new favorite HDTGM movie, dethroning No Holds Barred. Never thought I'd see the day.

I really don't get why it's on Amazon Prime, but it can't be rented on Amazon. Luckily I had just bought Amazon Prime because it was on sale a few weeks back. I bought it to watch The Man in the High Castle, based on a Philip K Dick book I read a few years back. Unfortunately the show was a disappointment. :(

I honestly don't know what I did without Prime a few years ago, I love it. Haven't watched High Castle yet but it's far back on my to watch list. I did really enjoy Hand of God with Ron Perlman, though it got pretty bad reviews and Mad Dogs looks pretty good.

Watching The Apple now (before listening to the episode). I'm thinking that there might be a metaphor buried somewhere in The Apple, but it's just so subtle that I can't quite figure it out...

• Like 3

Oh I cannot wait for this episode. This is a movie that I think most people my age (34) grew up with. I absolutely love that the reason that this movie was suggested was because Paul had never heard "Top That!" Oh Paul, are you ever in for a treat. It really is like a movie/musical.

This movie has everything: "Top That," the "Popular" song, Zelda Rubinstein, Dick Sargent, the second Darrin from "Bewitched" as Louis's father. And may be the most disgusting performance I'v ever seen in a movie, Louis's pervy little brother who hides under her bed when she's changing and call's her a "dog" in a weird old times New York accent.

In other words, it's the bread and butter of "How Did This Get Made?"

Oh I cannot wait for this episode. This is a movie that I think most people my age (34) grew up with. I absolutely love that the reason that this movie was suggested was because Paul had never heard "Top That!" Oh Paul, are you ever in for a treat. It really is like a movie/musical.

This movie has everything: "Top That," the "Popular" song, Zelda Rubinstein, Dick Sargent, the second Darrin from "Bewitched" as Louis's father. And may be the most disgusting performance I'v ever seen in a movie, Louis's pervy little brother who hides under her bed when she's changing and call's her a "dog" in a weird old times New York accent.

In other words, it's the bread and butter of "How Did This Get Made?"

I think you might have meant to post in the 129.5 Minisode Thread. You should come join our convo :)