🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 399 - Trump vs. Bernie

Almost teared up listening to the story about the autistic kid

• Like 2

I got 5 minutes into this ep, and then had to entirely skip the Gottfried interview segment. I just can't listen to his voice. I was irritated by him through the whole episode, but Adomian and Atamanuik made it worth listening to. Couldn't help wishing they were on with someone different, though.

Gilbert is great, there's jokes he does that make me wince sometimes, but it seemed like everyone was having fun. In fact I really enjoyed the fact that these comedians from different eras were making each other laugh so much.

This episode was one of the best I have heard. I couldn't stop laughing my ass off. Thank you for having Gilbert on. He is underrated and it's nice to hear him somewhere other than on Stern (who won't have him back anyway).

Now... get Norm MacDonald on and the world will be a much better place.

Thanks for the laughs.

• Like 5

You're right. That was probably a little unfair. What I should have said was - it sounded to me like there were a few moments that made Scott a little uncomfortable. But what do I know? Maybe he was very comfortable

My read on it was that there were a couple of instances where Gilbert started up on kind of misogynist bits and Scott maneuvered the conversation away from them each time. I definitely remember him laughing uproariously at one of Atamaniuk's chauvinistic jokes while in character as Trump.

Overall, I wouldn't expect anything less than off color humor from the guy who popularized the aristocrats, Gilbert is a legend and was truly hilarious on this ep. I guess some people thought his laughter this was over the top but I was happy to see him enjoying Scott's quips so much.

• Like 1

This is an episode where, by the end, I couldn't decide if Gilbert should be on every week or banned from the show. He was hilarious. Dangerously hilarious- I was driving while listening and around the fourth time he interjected with a sitcom I was making a left turn and laughed so hard I got into a coughing fit and almost wrecked myself. But man, I felt so bad for Adomian, who I mean...we all know he's having issues with podcasts these days, so having to deal with Gottfried when he finally comes back to CBB and he's there to really promote his current show sort of sucks a lot, right? I think Atamaniuk was having an easier time with it, just because Trump is an easier character to play off Gilbert. James was pretty much stuck in a position of trying to get out of playing the straight man to those two while remaining in character.

But, it was an uproariously funny episode anyway so whatever I guess. I'd be happy to go see Trump vs. Bernie if it ever came around my neighborhood too, just to see those two go at it live, without discussing sitcom episodes.

• Like 3

I'm voting for this at the end of the year. And I've never been a Gottfried fan, but I enjoyed him a lot on this episode; and the Trump v. Bernie stuff hit me just right, as a fan of politics and someone who works in it sometimes.

It's also awesome that these impressions were on right before the Iowa caucus, full of hope and excitement, only for Trump and Bernie to both lose to Cruz and Clinton. Maybe if it this episode were shared a week earlier there would have been a CBB Bump in the polls!

• Like 2

Thought Gilbert Gottfried was tedious in his sheer inanity. I presume that's the point of him, though, and that I just don't "get it". Anthony and James were fantastic, as I knew they would be, but the cumulative experience with Gottfried in the room was like listening to your favourite band through broken earphones. Felt like a wasted opportunity, maybe just because I know Adomian won't be back for a long time.

So it goes.

I was a little worried about this ep after reading some of the comments but this was fantastic!

Gilbert seemed like he might be the type to shut down once over the top improvers come in but he kept in the mix. I feel like I've heard about 99% of the Anthony and James Trump v. Bernie material already, so I loved Gilbert's twist of using old TV references to force them into new angles.

Gilbert seemed to genuinely enjoy how Anthony James and Scott got his references and ran with them. And Anthony and James were both roaring when he brought up the Munsters so they enjoyed it too.

Gilbert was strangely endearing, which is kind of what his "character" excels at. A troll-like yet endearing character.

• Like 4

Can anyone expand on the "James won't be back for a while" and his "issues" with podcasts stuff?

He's upset he doesn't get enough exposure so he's going to stop making appearances.

• Like 1

he doesn't get enough exposure through his appearances? i'm confused. obviously i've noticed a drop in his appearances but i assumed he was just busy with other stuff or feeling burnt out on it. when has being too exposed or not exposed enough stopped anyone from coming on?

I think James Adomian tweeted, in particular, that he was focusing more of his energy & productivity on stuff that pays better. Can't blame him for that. Not everybody has a second job at the ArcLight theater giving handjobs.

• Like 4

He's upset he doesn't get enough exposure so he's going to stop making appearances.

...sounds like you got it all figured out there, buddy. Thanks for not over-simplifying it.

I'm voting for this at the end of the year. And I've never been a Gottfried fan, but I enjoyed him a lot on this episode; and the Trump v. Bernie stuff hit me just right, as a fan of politics and someone who works in it sometimes.

It's also awesome that these impressions were on right before the Iowa caucus, full of hope and excitement, only for Trump and Bernie to both lose to Cruz and Clinton. Maybe if it this episode were shared a week earlier there would have been a CBB Bump in the polls!

Bernie didn't lose

Gilbert obviously doesn't "fit in" but I still really liked him. Don't think I've ever watched his comedy before

Gilbert obviously doesn't "fit in" but I still really liked him. Don't think I've ever watched his comedy before

There are a few awe-inspiringly inappropriate celebrity roast videos, like his roast of Joan Rivers, which crosses so many lines it's in a different time zone.

There are a few awe-inspiringly inappropriate celebrity roast videos, like his roast of Joan Rivers, which crosses so many lines it's in a different time zone.

Well that wasn't very funny

Thought Gilbert Gottfried was tedious in his sheer inanity. I presume that's the point of him, though, and that I just don't "get it". Anthony and James were fantastic, as I knew they would be, but the cumulative experience with Gottfried in the room was like listening to your favourite band through broken earphones. Felt like a wasted opportunity, maybe just because I know Adomian won't be back for a long time.

So it goes.

I sang this post in a Gothic lament

Benicio - you and I ought to ring in that fresh hundo with a catchphrase/plugs combo. We could be famous for a week together.

Face Like Bore-o?

Benicio Del Thunder?

• Like 2