🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 129 - The Apple: LIVE!

I loved the hammerhanded opening, particularly for the use of BIM as a back-and-forth chant that opened up the theme of individuality against the machine:

SINGER: B!

AUDIENCE: I M!

SINGER: B! (Be!)

AUDIENCE: I M! (I am!)

(also, I loved that Jason noticed that they rhymed good/bad with happiness/tears, because I was CERTAIN they stepped around that rhyme to avoid being too obvious.)

• Like 3

Rearranged IBM vs. Apple in a 1984 world. Maybe the secret inspiration for Apple's 1984 style Macintosh ads?

• Like 5

I haven't even gotten to the actual episode yet and I have to say these ads are actually making me laugh harder than any HDTGM ads. I sincerely hope that Squarespace changed their slogan to "You should!" just because Chris Hardwick and Kyle Clark messed that up on the Nerdist and made it a thing.

I still miss Paul's DraftKings ads, because every single time he thought he was saying the name of the sponsor I swear he was actually saying "Giraffe Kings."

• Like 4

(also, I loved that Jason noticed that they rhymed good/bad with happiness/tears, because I was CERTAIN they stepped around that rhyme to avoid being too obvious.)

Yeah, I'm glad he brought that up too! While I was watching it, my brain preemptively assumed that "happiness" would be paired with "sad," but they went to "tears" and I nearly ripped off my ears. So then, I figured they must be using an atypical rhyme scheme and waited to see if they did it again on the next verse. Nope. The second verse they sing: "There ain't no pride, There ain't no shame, There ain't no sympathy, There ain't no blame." How did they not go with "sad!" That makes no sense!

Also, their backup band was just a bunch of goddamn Muppets, right?

864479e87be18aaba11e21213136b576.gif

• Like 6

I don't understand why they chose to use the year 1994 to draw a parallel to '1984.' Wouldn't a simpler corollary be to choose a future year that ended in 84? Like why not make it 2084?

• Like 5

I don't understand why they chose to use the year 1994 to draw a parallel to '1984.' Wouldn't a simpler corollary be to choose a future year that ended in 84? Like why not make it 2084?

To be fair, they would have no way of predicting if disco would still be relevant in 2084.

I think they made the right call. :mellow:

• Like 7

Anyone else thought that the green car looked exactly like the car Homer made? Can't really tell from the image but it even has a horn in the same spot.

Qf2fs63.jpg

76AmlIK.jpg

• Like 10

Anyone else thought that the green car looked exactly like the car Homer made? Can't really tell from the image but it even has a horn in the same spot.

Qf2fs63.jpg

76AmlIK.jpg

DAMN! 5 minutes too late LOL

• Like 1

I'm going to cut Paul some slack for missing the Biblical allegory. Why? Because there's no mention of apples in Genesis. Eve is tempted by the fruit of the tree of knowledge. The reason it's depicted as an apple in western artwork likely stems from a Latin pun: by eating the malum (apple), Eve contracted mālum (evil). Since Paul is a rigorous scholar of religious texts, it's no wonder he didn't recognize the bastardized version of the...

Oh, who the fuck am I kidding. Come on, Paul, how did you miss this?!?!?!

• Like 7

I think my favourite part of this episode is the role reversal of Paul and June. Jason asking Paul "What did you think happen?" was delightful. The audience was also great, chiming in with their Junes and Zouks.

• Like 12

Also: Does this episode not firmly establish once and for all that Jason really was space-vampire glamoured by Mathilda May? He's hallucinating and seeing her everywhere. I look forward to future episodes in which Jason shouts at Paul, "Let me go! Get outta there you bitch! Why are you so perfect?!"

• Like 2

Qf2fs63.jpg

76AmlIK.jpg

• Like 1

ok, so was i the only one who felt this movie was the prequel/sequel to Repo Man (1984)? the key is the ending, with Mr. Topps and his magic car.

post-115452-0-34226000-1454714272_thumb.jpg

in repo man, Miller tells Bud that there must have been a time when there were no people in the world, and as an explanation for the existence of people on earth, he says that people came there from the future, and they came in UFOs that were really time machines. and in the end of the film they reveal that the Chevy Malibu, which is a very similar car to the one used by Mr. Topps, they had been chasing had become such a UFO, and Miller and Bud, get into it and fly into space and presumably, thru time.

post-115452-0-70078000-1454714296_thumb.jpg

my theory is this: Miller and Bud did travel thru time and had many adventures, but their relationship strained and Miller leaves bud on earth, but after so much time in contact with the alien they have become immortal, Bud, a self admitted "white suburban punk" grows old and becomes Boogaloo, and Miller, free of the corruption of mortality, becomes Mr. Topps.

post-115452-0-37304800-1454714315_thumb.jpg

this means that when Miller/Mr. Topps. picks them up at the end of The Apple he is bringing them to the past, to live in harmony until another Alphie and Bibi, or maybe just Alphie i guess, eats the one of Bud/Boogalow's apples and falls from grace again, for like 4 years. it really kind of steps on the whole Genesis metaphor when you realizes that from Genesis to A?arit Ha-Yamim (hebrew end times) in this movie happens in like 1 years time.

To summarize: Miller(Repo Man) = Mr. Topps = God(Hashem)

Bud = Boogalow = the devil

Alphie = Eve = Primogenitor(the first ancestor of all mankind)

Bibi = the First Man = but also the messiah who brings the end of earth, and leads the chosen people to world beyond.

i have attached 3 visual comparisons but i can't post them as images in the right size i guess. i don't know whats going on with that. hopefully you'll see what i mean.

• Like 3

Glad you did this AMAZING podcast! You have entered into my deep, dark family secret....my grandfather Albert Escobedo was IN THIS FUCKING MOVIE! He is the mustachioed gentleman (who looks like Charles Bronson) in the Cirq Waiting room that runs off with the dancing hos.....please understand we know how horrific this is and I'VE HAD TO WATCH THIS SEVERAL FUCKING TIMES...(I do constitute this as child abuse)...but it's our dirty little secret. post-117629-0-19129200-1454719855_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Glad you did this AMAZING podcast! You have entered into my deep, dark family secret....my grandfather Albert Escobedo was IN THIS FUCKING MOVIE! He is the mustachioed gentleman (who looks like Charles Bronson) in the Cirq Waiting room that runs off with the dancing hos.....please understand we know how horrific this is and I'VE HAD TO WATCH THIS SEVERAL FUCKING TIMES...(I do constitute this as child abuse)...but it's our dirty little secret. post-117629-0-19129200-1454719855_thumb.jpg

Qf2fs63.jpg

76AmlIK.jpg

It totally is the Homermobile! In fact, all of the cars had unnecessary bubble domes on top. Was there a 9-foot-tall sub-race they never got around to that needed the extra head room? Here are a few more screen grabs, one of the horn you mentioned.

the apple_zpsijsfickg.jpg

• Like 1

I really thought this is where June was going in the episode, but after Alphie gets Cosby'd by Pandi and she helps Bibi escape, she does have a dramatic turnaround, which raises a HUGE ethical problem. In fact, her heel turn is so complete, that at the end of the movie, when Mr. Topps comes to usher all the hippies to paradise, she follows them and is allowed to go with them to the new planet.

So, am I to believe, coupled with Alphie molesting his landlady, that this movie is honestly positing that rape is a viable road to salvation? What in the holy fuck??? Fuck this fucking movie!

...Come to think of it, isn't that what happens in Zardoz? What the Hell was going on back then?

This is exactly the issue I was going to bring up now that I finally got to see it! That severely distressed me!

• Like 1

This movie finally inspired me to watch that Cannon Films documentary.

Which erased any lingering fear I might have had that this podcast would run out of films to do.

• Like 6

Finally getting a chance to watch this. I thought I hated it, and then Boogalow started singing.

Oh, and congratulations, Cameron!

• Like 2

Anybody have an explanation for the bit at the end where Alphie looks at Mr. Boogalow and Shake and sees this for a split second?

post-25611-0-93833700-1454728742_thumb.png

• Like 1