🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 126 - LIVE at UCB w/ Ben Feldman, Reid Scott

Ronna and Beverly come to you live from the UCB theatre in Los Angeles with their special guests and handsome fellows Ben Feldman of Superstore and Reid Scott of Veep. They'll discuss the alternate career path Reid's mother wanted him to pursue, Reid playing a schmuck on Veep, Ben's character on Superstore, how to get in contact with Woody Allen, and the one time Beverly ran into Bernie Sanders.

When is Beverly not saying something in poor taste?

Yeah, but do you ever remember one like that? You could tell 'Ronna' felt the shift in the room and tried to get out as quickly as possible. I don't know, I'm not a Sanders fan but that one hit my ears weird.

I mean, it definitely crossed a certain line, it just still felt very in line with her character. She says he sexually assaulted her, but later recants to say, no, I was totally into it. To me, it's no more offensive than her saying that their book is for everybody "except for Muslims." Of course we know that she's joking, but when the joke kills for everyone in the audience, it makes you stop and think. She's the inappropriate aunt who gets too drunk at a holiday party and digs herself into in an inescapably deep hole of racism and bigotry. However - I don't think the butt of the joke is Muslims, the butt of the joke is actual racists. I think here too, she's making fun of herself, not sexual assault victims, or slandering Sanders. We know it to be within her character that she would falsely accuse someone of note of rape. I agree that it's controversial and over-the-top, but I don't know that this was a particularly egregious or irregular misstep.

• Like 3

Man. That Sanders-Sexual Assault Bit was really in poor taste.

Or totally hilarious!!

Sign in to follow this