🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 129.5 - Minisode 129.5

The next movie is going to be a doozy and will focus on a special kind of witch. This week Paul goes through Corrections and Omissions for The Apple and recommends a podcast you should probably give a listen to in another edition Paul’s Pick of the Week. Plus, Paul reminisces about the first bad movie he remembers seeing in a theater as he answers your Qs!

Don’t forget to check out Blake Harris’ Oral History of The Apple over at www.slashfilm.com!

Get yourself a BB-8 “What Is Its Mission?” T-shirt or Tote Bag over at http://howdidthisgetmade.bigcartel.com/

People of the internet: Watch Paul and Jason star alongside Johnny Depp as Donald Trump in "Funny Or Die Presents Donald Trump's The Art Of The Deal: The Movie" here: http://ear.wf/1RIqbHE and watch Paul in Fresh off the Boat on ABC. Awhile ago, Paul and Rob Huebel did a comedy special on a 60 foot glass bus that traveled around LA. Now you’ll be able to see it. Go to https://itun.es/us/3M4J9 now to buy it! You can also see Jason in Transparent on Amazon and in Dirty Grandpa in a theater near you! Also, check out June in Grace and Frankie available on Netflix, and in all the episodes of NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU for free, and Jason in The Dictator (he’s still in it!).

This sounds like one my wife would actually want to watch me...and yes, maybe I'm a little excited to see it.

Guys! Teen Witch is Deadpool's sister-in-law!

I remember having a crush on Robyn Lively when I was a kid, but I'll be damned if I remember where it came from. Karate Kid Part 3, maybe?

• Like 2

Me as soon as I found out they are finally doing this movie!

giphy.gif

Was this also your (and presumably Cameron's) reaction when Paul said he's been jamming out to the Hamilton soundtrack?

"Last Action Hero" was ahead of its time!

I wonder quite a bit whether or not it would make a good HDTGM movie. It's batshit crazy, but it's kind of supposed to be. I feel like making fun of it would just be like, "Yeah, that's that's the point of it!"

A couple of other random thoughts:

When Paul was talking about the Funny or Die thing, he said something along the lines of, "Alf! It's got Alf. Alfred Molina." Question: Does Paul think that Alf and Alfred Molina are the the same person?

Don't let goddamn Michael Bay anywhere near John Carpenter movies. Two of his classics have already been remade and were pretty shitty. They Live is in my top three Carpenter films, and it should be completely left alone because it is flawless.

• Like 4

I think where "Last Action Hero" fails is with the kid, because he's an asshole to spend the whole movie with, but in retrospect, THAT can be looked at as just another cliche that may not have been AS much of a cliche at the time, which is the kid protagonist basically being made an action hero too, like we weren't going to be into it unless one of US was Saving the day. See also: Any movie where a kid tags along with a cop/detective/whatever and doesn't get immediately murdered.

• Like 1

Was this also your (and presumably Cameron's) reaction when Paul said he's been jamming out to the Hamilton soundtrack?

YOU FUCKIN' KNOW IT!

I made that post before even hitting play (I drew my conclusion off of the episode description) and I needed to come back and post yet another dancing gif because of Hamilton.

giphy.gif

THAT SHIT IS NOT EMBARRASSING PAUL!

• Like 3

See also: Any movie where a kid tags along with a cop/detective/whatever and doesn't get immediately murdered.

copandahalf1.jpg

• Like 2

YOU FUCKIN' KNOW IT!

I made that post before even hitting play (I drew my conclusion off of the episode description) and I needed to come back and post yet another dancing gif because of Hamilton.

THAT SHIT IS NOT EMBARRASSING PAUL!

When Paul said that, I immediately thought of Taylor Anne and myself!

giphy.gif

It's so weird--Hamilton is such a big deal, but when you're into it, you feel like you're into something no one else really knows about. I was sad to hear him say he was embarrassed by it, though. It kind of just perpetuates that feeling of, "Only those types of people like this thing. If I like it, does that make me lame like them? I'm afraid of what people might think..." I hate to sound all parental, but if you meet someone who would seriously judge you poorly for liking something like a musical, then their opinion of you, and probably a lot of other things, really isn't worth worrying about. They're the piece of shit, not you.

As for Last Action Hero, I don't remember ever hating it. I think the big problem was that it was really hyped at the time, and as a decent (but not great), movie, it just couldn't live up to it. If you just go into it with no expectations, I think it's fine.

• Like 1

When Paul said that, I immediately thought of Taylor Anne and myself!

giphy.gif

Okay wtf this is the second time I've received this specific gif just this morning.

It's so weird--Hamilton is such a big deal, but when you're into it, you feel like you're into something no one else really knows about. I was sad to hear him say he was embarrassed by it, though. It kind of just perpetuates that feeling of, "Only those types of people like this thing. If I like it, does that make me lame like them? I'm afraid of what people might think..." I hate to sound all parental, but if you meet someone who would seriously judge you poorly for liking something like a musical, then their opinion of you, and probably a lot of other things, really isn't worth worrying about. They're the piece of shit, not you.

Hear hear!

pbO4RZ6.gif

• Like 2

If I can add my useless opinion to the discussion, I wholeheartedly endorse Paul's Pick this week. "You Must Remember This" is fantastic podcasting. If you are at all interested in movies, it's a fascinating listen. I discovered it right as the Manson series was going so I went back through the catalog and have listened to almost every episode and have kept up with it since.

• Like 3

That is EXACTLY what I was referring to.

OH GOD PLEASE DO COP AND A HALF FOR ONE EP!

I haven't seen it in forever but this is the movie where the kid sings the national anthem any time he gets scared/nervous right?

I rented the hell out of this movie on VHS as a kid.

• Like 3

OH GOD PLEASE DO COP AND A HALF FOR ONE EP!

I haven't seen it in forever but this is the movie where the kid sings the national anthem any time he gets scared/nervous right?

I rented the hell out of this movie on VHS as a kid.

I say pair it up at a live show with "Blank Check", another film where child murder should have occurred multiple times.

• Like 4

In related Hamilton/Earwolf news, Benny Schwaz just tweeted this:

X4SdbSR.png

I say pair it up at a live show with "Blank Check", another film where child murder should have occurred multiple times.

Also, it features the wonderful acting talents of Tone Loc.

• Like 7

Speaking of Hamilton again (because when am I not thinking about it?)

I can't find their performance from last night online but here's Lin-Manuel's acceptance speech which I thought was PERFECT!

Get out of my brain, Taylor Anne!!! I was just looking it up myself--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oNz5uruEpo

• Like 2

If I can add my useless opinion to the discussion, I wholeheartedly endorse Paul's Pick this week. "You Must Remember This" is fantastic podcasting. If you are at all interested in movies, it's a fascinating listen. I discovered it right as the Manson series was going so I went back through the catalog and have listened to almost every episode and have kept up with it since.

I didn't listen through the mini ep far enough (sorry Paul!) but as fate would have it, I'm also finally into it (just subscribed!) and I'm listening through the Manson story right now. I have an odd fascination with cults/killers and the whole story is, as Zouks might say "BONKERS." Charles Manson is a terrifying man in ways you wouldn't even think of.

Oh shit, Blank Check was numero uno in terms of most watched VHS tapes when I was a kid. My brother and I were OBSESSED.

A waterslide going out of your house? YES PLEASE. And remember in the 90s before flatscreens when the cool thing was to have a giant "TV" made up of individual TVs?

6WLBmAsr7YLMNgLeatQJW4hgCBt.jpg

• Like 2

So, Teen Witch.

I hope someone addresses the fact that Robyn Lively's character in Twin Peaks has eerily similar powers (over men). I bet David Lynch saw this movie and figured I gotta get me some of that Teen Witch in mah tv show.