🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 129.5 - Minisode 129.5

I'm actually really looking forward to this movie. I haven't seen it since I was a kid, but I remember it was on ABC all the fucking time. The other one that I saw a bunch from the same time was Not Quite Human, which also starred Robyn Lively.

What I'm saying is, I feel like I'm just going to have a Robyn Lively marathon this week.

• Like 2

I'm actually really looking forward to this movie. I haven't seen it since I was a kid, but I remember it was on ABC all the fucking time. The other one that I saw a bunch from the same time was Not Quite Human, which also starred Robyn Lively.

What I'm saying is, I feel like I'm just going to have a Robyn Lively marathon this week.

I'm looking forward to this one as well. I've never seen it, but it's been sitting in my Netflix queue since it was brought up on the show--and enthused about on the boards. It feels like it would be right in my wheelhouse for shitty movies. It's funny, I was extremely close to watching it this weekend just because. I'm so glad I have an actual reason to watch it now!

• Like 2

I'm definitely rewatching it maybe tonight so that I can remember every detail and jot down a ton of notes, cause y'all... this shit is so cray I probably don't even remember everything that was wrong with it.

But I think we can gather just from the trailer the whole forced sex slave thing is gonna be a huuuge thing to talk about lol.

• Like 3

I say pair it up at a live show with "Blank Check", another film where child murder should have occurred multiple times.

And have Scott Aukerman as the guest...

IMG_7317.jpg

51CVH797H1L._SY445_.jpg

• Like 6

And have Scott Aukerman as the guest...

IMG_7317.jpg

51CVH797H1L._SY445_.jpg

there is blank check

2hpojkw.jpg

blank check two

y11zc.jpg

are we getting these movies? have not listen to the show yet, been busy but just checking in.

• Like 5

zOIefvx.png?1Biggest scene stealer of the whole movie? The dancing cholo in the convertible. Orale vato!
  • Like 3

Can we talk about the Funny or Die movie Zouks and Paul did? Because I just watched Zouks in a scene with Johnny Depp, spit at him and talk about peeing blood. (Wet blood fart reference almost!)

And all I could think was, "Did they talk about the Tourist?"

• Like 3

I just watched Teen Witch again y'all. As in I've now seen this more than once. As in I felt my sanity slipping away from me.

I have so many notes. So many. It only seems to get worse the more you watch it.

• Like 2

Paul has never seen Repo Man? Why does he even have a show about movies if that is true?

Repo Man would be a good ep now that I think about it.

If Paul wants a new adjective, may I suggest the Belfast word 'wheeker'. As in 'You should watch that last episode of Game of Thrones, its a wheeker' or 'He hit that ball a fucken wheeker, right into the top left hand corner'.

• Like 1

I didn't listen through the mini ep far enough (sorry Paul!) but as fate would have it, I'm also finally into it (just subscribed!) and I'm listening through the Manson story right now. I have an odd fascination with cults/killers and the whole story is, as Zouks might say "BONKERS." Charles Manson is a terrifying man in ways you wouldn't even think of.

I flipped out when Paul mentioned "You Must Remember This"! I love that freaking podcast! They're covering McCarthyism and the Blacklist right now, and it's just so fascinating to hear about all the real life shit that went down during the Red Scare. Lots of audio clips from the real Congressional hearings, where basically they paraded the accused in front of the press and shouted them down or cut them off when they refused to answer questions about their membership in the Communist party. Also, lots of juicy stuff about the craziest, most drug-addled, most deviant movie stars this side of LiLo, and all the blatantly criminal goings-on that the studios were able to cover up. Basically just shit you can't believe actually happened. I didn't even know she covered the Manson murders, I may have to check it out. Although I have to admit ... I'm a little scared.

Also, in response to Paul's question -- I used to work in jewelry production, where you're sitting hunched over a desk for 8 hours and really benefit from a good calisthenics routine. I don't work there anymore but still watch the video and do the exercise every day. This is it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P14yBmfK-0

I have so far converted my boyfriend and another employer into doing this with me. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE! Or something. Seriously, just try it, it feels great :P

• Like 3

I finally watched Teen Witch last night and loved it.

The fashion in this movie is so crazy. Everything that's supposed to be "really dorky" looks amazing, and all the "cool outfits" Louise puts on when she's popular are disastrous. Additionally, Brad is a god-damn ten dollar bill and this movie is so disgustingly sexual. The main character is sixteen but the movie opens with a dream sequence of her dressed like a high-class prostitute. This movie is so much. It's amazing.

"He's so funky" genuinely might also be the funniest line in cinema history.

It's so weird--Hamilton is such a big deal, but when you're into it, you feel like you're into something no one else really knows about. I was sad to hear him say he was embarrassed by it, though. It kind of just perpetuates that feeling of, "Only those types of people like this thing. If I like it, does that make me lame like them? I'm afraid of what people might think..." I hate to sound all parental, but if you meet someone who would seriously judge you poorly for liking something like a musical, then their opinion of you, and probably a lot of other things, really isn't worth worrying about. They're the piece of shit, not you.

I've actually been thinking about this since you posted it. Since I haven't watched Teen Witch yet (but will tonight), I'll kind of dive into my thoughts about it. I always have this conflicted feeling that's rooted in my perception of things. Like, if I thought musicals were terrible, I'd probably be like, "Why do I like this thing that I know is inherently bad?" Obviously, I don't feel that way about musicals, as we've discussed in other threads. But I'd probably qualify it, too, and say something like, "I normally hate musicals, but this one is different, and you shouldn't write it off before checking it out."

Or I might not mention it at all to people. Let's say that a band I can't stand came out with a song tomorrow that I really liked. I probably would jam it on my own, but I wouldn't tell people about it. That's not because I'm worried they are going to judge me, but more because I don't want to listen to them go, "Ewwww, Nickelback, really?" and then have to spend fifteen minutes explaining how, yeah, they're usually terrible, but this one song is an exception and they should really check it out, which I know will be a complete waste of breath because they're probably not going to.

There's also sometimes a fandom issue. A good example of this is Deadpool. A recent article on Birth. Movies. Death. kind of sums up my feelings about Deadpool's fandom ("'So random', they said. 'Lulz', they said."). I like Deadpool, and I really enjoyed the movie, but I wouldn't ever consider myself a "Deadpool fan" because I can't stand their fandom as a whole (see also: Firefly/Whedon in general). There's just a large contingent of those fans that run that shit into the ground until it's almost not enjoyable anymore. It's not that I don't want other people to associate me with that fandom; it's that I don't want that fandom to think I'm one of them. (Which I realize is probably fucked up and kind of judgmentally dickish)

• Like 5

I've actually been thinking about this since you posted it. Since I haven't watched Teen Witch yet (but will tonight), I'll kind of dive into my thoughts about it. I always have this conflicted feeling that's rooted in my perception of things. Like, if I thought musicals were terrible, I'd probably be like, "Why do I like this thing that I know is inherently bad?" Obviously, I don't feel that way about musicals, as we've discussed in other threads. But I'd probably qualify it, too, and say something like, "I normally hate musicals, but this one is different, and you shouldn't write it off before checking it out."

Or I might not mention it at all to people. Let's say that a band I can't stand came out with a song tomorrow that I really liked. I probably would jam it on my own, but I wouldn't tell people about it. That's not because I'm worried they are going to judge me, but more because I don't want to listen to them go, "Ewwww, Nickelback, really?" and then have to spend fifteen minutes explaining how, yeah, they're usually terrible, but this one song is an exception and they should really check it out, which I know will be a complete waste of breath because they're probably not going to.

There's also sometimes a fandom issue. A good example of this is Deadpool. A recent article on Birth. Movies. Death. kind of sums up my feelings about Deadpool's fandom ("'So random', they said. 'Lulz', they said."). I like Deadpool, and I really enjoyed the movie, but I wouldn't ever consider myself a "Deadpool fan" because I can't stand their fandom as a whole (see also: Firefly/Whedon in general). There's just a large contingent of those fans that run that shit into the ground until it's almost not enjoyable anymore. It's not that I don't want other people to associate me with that fandom; it's that I don't want that fandom to think I'm one of them. (Which I realize is probably fucked up and kind of judgmentally dickish)

All excellent points. I especially agree with your second point, which I guess was my "problem" (DISCLAIMER: not a real "problem"). If he was actually embarrassed by it, just don't answer that question; but if you do like it, say so. There's nothing wrong with that--certainly enough people agree with him. But when a person admits to liking something in a begrudging kind of way, you're tacitly giving less-enlightened people the ammunition to make fun of that thing. Which, in a way, makes the group that likes that thing "other" or "outside the norm." To use your example, if you like a Nickleback (or Ace of Base...) song, say so, don't hide it under a bushel. Rejoice in the things that make you feel good. There's no need to have a long conversation about it. If they give you shit, tell them it's a matter of opinion and move on. If they still just won't let it go, they're obviously dealing with much deeper issues and that relationship may need to be reevaluated.

And to be fair, and with all due respect to Mr. Scheer, my gripe isn't actually with him or aimed at him, but more with the attitude of "closeting" people's interests. Day to day, there's just too much negativity and shittiness all around us. There are so many awesome things in the world to be absorbed and enjoyed. If I say confidently, "Hamilton is awesome!" there's maybe a remote chance it just might make someone who's never been into musicals take a minute to check it out. Maybe they like it, maybe they don't; but at least it's broadening their worldview in some small way. Best case scenario: maybe they see it and it inspires them to learn more about Hamilton or Washington (which could lead them on to other areas of interest), or better yet, maybe they are driven to write a musical of their own. There's nothing but positive gain, for everyone, from that. But if I say, "I can't believe I'm saying this...um, I don't normally like musicals, but Hamilton...it's okay..I mean, it's actually good...I'm blasting a musical in my car...that's weird, right? This is so embarrassing..." it doesn't do anything. It seperates. It says, "There's something wrong with this thing. This might be an exception, but overall, to like this thing is wrong."

So in my own interminable way, I guess I'm saying, "It is better to embrace than divide."

That said, and since you brought up Firefly/Whedon, it brought up something that I've been mulling over. A couple of weeks ago I re-watched Serenity for the first time in years. It's not without it's problems, but I had honestly forgotten how good it was. Once it was done, I felt the need to go back and re-watch Firefly, and Holy Christ, did that not hold up for me. I've never been a "browncoat" or anything, but I had always held it with some esteem, and like many others, always lamented its cancellation. But this time, out of the thirteen episodes, I had to straight up skip two of them (the one where he gets "married" and the one with the brothel) and many other times I just felt bored--I think I fell asleep during the "Mudder" episode. For the first time, I was like, "Oh yeah, I can see why this was cancelled."

So, I have two questions:

1) What is something that you've always said/thought was great, only to revisit it later to discover it wasn't all that great at all?

2) Has there ever been a time when an external stimulus (no need to get too personal) has made you change your opinion on something you once liked? For me, I used to love SPONTANEANATION and looked forward to every episode. Then one day, I was listening to it (Ep. 37 "Salt Water Tuffy Shoppe") and everything just went to crap all at once--partly personal, partly work related. Everything was going nuts for me and I had these comedians shouting crazy shit in my ears and I just had to turn it off. I stayed subscribed until just this week, but I've finally given up. I tried to get back into it a couple of times, but I simply haven't been able to listen to a full episode ever since. It makes me sad, because I know it's a fantastic show, but even thinking about it takes me back to that moment and I just can't get back into it.

• Like 2

That said, and since you brought up Firefly/Whedon, it brought up something that I've been mulling over. A couple of weeks ago I re-watched Serenity for the first time in years. It's not without it's problems, but I had honestly forgotten how good it was. Once it was done, I felt the need to go back and re-watch Firefly, and Holy Christ, did that not hold up for me. I've never been a "browncoat" or anything, but I had always held it with some esteem, and like many others, always lamented its cancellation. But this time, out of the thirteen episodes, I had to straight up skip two of them (the one where he gets "married" and the one with the brothel) and many other times I just felt bored--I think I fell asleep during the "Mudder" episode. For the first time, I was like, "Oh yeah, I can see why this was cancelled."

Definitely agree! I really enjoy Serenity. It's a really great story, and the scene with Wash still makes me tear up. But I can't stand the show. It's just not that great, and while I can appreciate what they were trying to do with it, I found a lot of it really tedious. But I can't tell if that's because I got into it after having all the browncoats on the internet run every single joke into the ground for me first. So by the time I got around to seeing it, I knew all the beats and jokes and was pretty much like, "Meh" on the whole thing.

I'll have to think about your other questions (preferably while I'm not pretending to be intent on a 100% pointless conference call). But I hope some others will jump in with their answers in the meantime because those are great questions!

• Like 3

Teen Witch is so bad way beyond expected ...and this movie fashion looks 83-85...no one dressed like this in 1989 !

Long time lurker, first time poster -

Wife and I watched this tonight as she watched it as a kid, and her other 'terrible movie' podcasts did this as well.

This scene popped up and I immediately had to recut to horror music, so enjoy, hopefully any of you that saw this thought the same.

• Like 4

I've been watching the show Baskets, and seeing Zelda Rubinstein in this trailer (the lady from Poltergeist) made me realize the resemblance between her and Louie Anderson playing Zach's mom on that show. By the way, Louie Anderson is my favorite part of that show. If you had told me I would like Louie Anderson more than Zach Galifianakis on a television show, I would have back handed you and called you a heretic.

Anyways, I can't wait to watch this movie. 80s movies are the best, especially when it's practically the 90s.