🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 130.5 - Minisode 130.5

"The Covenant" is that special kind of stupid bad, where I only saw it the one time when it came out a decade ago, but I remember so, so much...

See also: "When A Stranger Calls"

• Like 1

I don't know if I can watch this movie again cause there are way too many spiders.

Thanks but no thanks on the spider front.

At last! You've foolishly revealed your weakness!

boo.

spiderman-dancing.gif

• Like 4

I have been hoping for more of Finland's worst export Renny Harlin (although I have not seen The Covenant, I was hoping for Mindhunters, but he does appear to be a more watchable Uwe Boll). I'm also a bit surprised that this is the first appearance of Taylor Kitsch.

• Like 3

Still listening to the episode but I love how Paul is reading all our Luis Guzman references as if it's pronounced Louis (or Lewis).

• Like 2

At last! You've foolishly revealed your weakness!

boo.

spiderman-dancing.gif

tumblr_mxz69dO5fh1rlbcm8o1_400.gif

• Like 7

I'm changing my name to Kiem. Paul fucked up my name, which makes me feel like a somebody.

• Like 1

I'm changing my name to Kiem. Paul fucked up my name, which makes me feel like a somebody.

I think that counts. You can channel Sally Field: "You like me! You really like me!"

It was 7 Minutes in Heaven...THANK YOU....Now I have to watch this again and i'm afraid.

• Like 6

It was 7 Minutes in Heaven...THANK YOU....Now I have to watch this again and i'm afraid.

Why not do it as an episode? You don't have to do this alone.

tumblr_o0stpbtO9n1sivhlfo1_500.gif

• Like 5

I have never heard of this Covenant movie. Just listening to the trailer I would think this movie was made in 1998. I was shocked to see that it was made in 2006. This looks bad.

• Like 1

Opinions on the new Ghostbusters trailer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3ugHP-yZXw

My biggest concern: why can't they all be scientists? The, "You're all scientists, but I know New York line" makes me cringe a bit.

I'm glad that they seem to be reining Melissa McCarthy in quite a bit and giving her a lot more subdued role. I'm still worried they are trying to make them all analogs of the original team (McCarthy = Ray, Jones = Winston, McKinnon = Egon, Wiig = Peter), but that could just be my preconception projected onto what little bit we're seeing.

I worry that all they're going to let Leslie Jones do is be the loud, angry street-wise black woman. Jones is far too talented to be relegated to that role, so I'm hoping they give her character more to do.

McKinnon has always been a bit too over-the-top for me (her oh-so-wacky exaggerated facial expressions rub me the wrong way), but it looks like this could be a role specifically made for that, so it might work in her favor.

The best parts of the trailer are the parts that are taken straight from the original film and then kind of shit on with typical Paul Feig body humor (oh, the apparition can't just scare them! It's gotta puke in her face!).

So, the best I can do is say that this doesn't look as much like hot garbage as everything else I've seen so far, but I'm still not super pumped. I am, however, glad that the mentality of "if you're not on board for the new Ghostbusters, you must only hate it for sexist reasons!" has seemed to have died down a lot over the last few months.

• Like 3

Man, I really want to love this movie but…it feels like they've Jurassic World-ed another of my childhood favorites.

Edit: I don't mean this in an idiotic "they ruined my childhood" way, just that they're relying too heavily on touchstones of the original film (character archetypes, theme song, direct quotes, ECTO-1, Slimer AKA Onion Head) to win me over on nostalgia alone. I hope it's solely for the trailer, but this permeated Jurassic World, so I fear the worst.

• Like 6

I worry that all they're going to let Leslie Jones do is be the loud, angry street-wise black woman. Jones is far too talented to be relegated to that role, so I'm hoping they give her character more to do.

Yeah, l mean, I know this is just a gut reaction thing and I'm just basing it on the trailer, but when I watch it I see, "Okay, you three white women, you'll be the scientists, and you...you're going to be the blue collar, sassy black woman, but don't worry, you'll have "street smarts" and be like really funny."

Considering the whole #Oscarssowhite controversy, it feels really tone deaf. Why can't she be a scientist and McCarthy or someone else be the subway attendant? Granted, maybe there's more to it than I'm seeing from the trailer, but that's how it comes off to me.

Man, I really want to love this movie but…it feels like they've Jurassic World-ed another of my childhood favorites.

That's a perfect way to describe it! It just doesn't feel right. I'll give it a shot when it it comes out, but the whole thing feels too glossy--and not nearly fun or funny enough. It's real a shame too considering the people involved...

• Like 2

Hey, if Corrections & Ommisions is going to become Corrections, Ommisions, and Pontifications can we just go ahead and call ourselves a symposium so that the acronym will be C.O.P.S?

OOH! Dibs on being "Bulletproof" Vess!

i love the original so this is a hugely biased view from a cranky old man ...

i wasnt expecting such a reboot ... i dont like reboots or remakes or whatever they call em. just acknowledge the original and move on from there. theres alot of things taken from the original in this trailer (someone getting slimed, the subway scene, the car gag etc). im just hoping this movie wont be filled with stuff like that.

and i know i sound like a broken record here (i threw abit of a hissy fit in the jurassic world thread) but even the amount of product placement in this trailer is annoying me.

in saying all that ... i really want to see it. i love the cast, especially kate. love her on SNL. and paul fieg is great so fingers crossed its good, and if its not ill just rewatch the old one again ...

• Like 3

My biggest concern: why can't they all be scientists? The, "You're all scientists, but I know New York line" makes me cringe a bit.

My initial thoughts are

1. it feels too jokey, maybe its just the nature of trailers cutting stuff out of context but it feels a lot less subtle of a comedy than the first Ghostbusters, like they don't trust people to get its a comedy moment unless theres a big neon sign saying THIS IS A JOKE, YOU MAY LAUGH NOW.

2. Is this a reboot? A sequel? what? admittedly I haven't looked into it, but the trailer is way less than clear to me. Like theres shades of an origin story, but the opening text talked about the first one. I thought at first this was going to be like a Ghostbusters Inc. kinda thing, but then again I guess not?

3. Im not really digging the performances, or the writing. Like I think the "power of patty compels you! *2nd slap*" scene could have been a good funny moment, but the "thats gonna leave a mark" line and how she says it just grates on me for some reason. Guess it kinda goes back to how it doesnt feel all that subtle on its comedy.

Take for instance a good movie, when the Ipswich Dipshits burn their souls a little to magically flip up a woman's skirt its played classy and understated, you can really feel like those are real people you would find in a bar sexually harassing girls.

• Like 3

Hey, if Corrections & Ommisions is going to become Corrections, Ommisions, and Pontifications can we just go ahead and call ourselves a symposium so that the acronym will be C.O.P.S?

What a rubbish idea, Cameron.

These threads are for Mistakes, Additions, Speculation, and Kittens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2Z1yLO9C-Q

25174350600_080e7aa244_z.jpg

• Like 6

i wasnt expecting such a reboot ... i dont like reboots or remakes or whatever they call em. just acknowledge the original and move on from there. theres alot of things taken from the original in this trailer (someone getting slimed, the subway scene, the car gag etc). im just hoping this movie wont be filled with stuff like that.

This is actually something I have a problem with as well. I honestly don't get if this is a reboot or a sequel. I saw a headline (didn't read the article) on IMDb that something like, "Why they decided to do a reboot instead of a sequel," but then in the trailer, it says:

"30 years ago, four scientists saved New York City. This summer, a new team will answer the call."

So...is it a reboot or a sequel? To me, a reboot means "we may take some aspects of the source material, but we're basically starting this over from scratch" and a sequel means "This is the next chapter of that story and this all exists in the same universe." Again, I guess we have to wait in see, but I'm thoroughly confused. I feel like they're deliberately obfuscating the matter. It's like their trying to be their own thing, but don't have the confidence to separate themselves from the originals--and that is troubling.

• Like 2

Edit: I don't mean this in an idiotic "they ruined my childhood" way, just that they're relying too heavily on touchstones of the original film (character archetypes, theme song, direct quotes, ECTO-1, Slimer AKA Onion Head) to win me over on nostalgia alone. I hope it's solely for the trailer, but this permeated Jurassic World, so I fear the worst.

I totally agree, and I didn't take your initial comment to mean the "they ruined my childhood" thing, either. As soon as you said Jurassic World-ed, I think we all knew what you meant. And you hit on the thing that I couldn't really put my finger on.

It's like they think that by throwing in all the elements of a beloved movie, they can recreate the magic of the movie without really understanding what made the movie work in the first place.

• Like 2