🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 130.5 - Minisode 130.5

So...is it a reboot or a sequel? To me, a reboot means "we may take some aspects of the source material, but we're basically starting this over from scratch" and a sequel means "This is the next chapter of that story and this all exists in the same universe." Again, I guess we have to wait in see, but I'm thoroughly confused. I feel like they're deliberately obfuscating the matter.

Even Paul Feig doesn't sound like he's sure:

And if we didn’t acknowledge those [original] movies existed, it was very confusing to people — and I think might have also made us seem a little not reverant to what we owe a great debt to. But it was tough, because we went through a million different wordings. I said it can’t play as a sequel, because I can’t support that, so what’s the way to pass the torch?

This is further muddled by the fact that Sigourney Weaver, Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson, and Annie Potts are confirmed to be in the movie. How the hell is this not a sequel?

Does Kristen Wiig's team open a portal to another dimension to dispose of their trapped ghosts, except the other dimension is the one where the original Ghostbusters took place? And Dan Aykroyd mugs to camera and says "Here we go again!"

• Like 4

Even Paul Feig doesn't sound like he's sure:

This is further muddled by the fact that Sigourney Weaver, Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson, and Annie Potts are confirmed to be in the movie. How the hell is this not a sequel?

Does Kristen Wiig's team open a portal to another dimension to dispose of their trapped ghosts, except the other dimension is the one where the original Ghostbusters took place? And Dan Aykroyd mugs to camera and says "Here we go again!" <CUE RAY PARKER JR.> <ROLL CREDITS>

According to IMDb Bill Murray also signed on. I feel like if it's not a sequel, then these cameos are just going to take people out of the movie. Here's my guess though, they wanted to do a sequel, but weren't sure if they could get Murray back, so they wrote it as a reboot. Then, later in the process, Murray agreed to be in it so they quickly incorporated that into the script and now it's become this sort of reboot, sort of sequel monstrosity. It just feels like it's going to be a disaster.

According to IMDb Bill Murray also signed on. I feel like if it's not a sequel, then these cameos are just going to take people out of the movie.

Hasn't stopped Stan Lee yet...

• Like 2

Hasn't stopped Stan Lee yet...

Yeah, but those are relatively quick, one and dones. Assuming that these are just cameos in a reboot rather than appearing as their characters from the original movies, this would be like Stan popping up once every 24 minutes or so, or five Stan's appearing in a single scene. It feels like it would be too much. I mean....IS THIS A SEQUEL? It's driving me crazy--lol. If it's a sequel, then they are all welcome to be there, but if it's a reboot, I'd say two cameos max.

• Like 1

Yeah, but those are relatively quick, one and dones. Assuming that these are just cameos in a reboot rather than appearing as their characters from the original movies, this would be like Stan popping up once every 24 minutes or so, or five Stan's appearing in a single scene. It feels like it would be too much. I mean....IS THIS A SEQUEL? It's driving me crazy--lol. If it's a sequel, then they are all welcome to be there, but if it's a reboot, I'd say two cameos max.

Yeah, I hear ya. That was mostly just me being like, "We get it already" with the Stan Lee cameos.

But, if they're going to do the cameos, it would be great if they did them all at once, and in a somewhat subtle way. But they probably won't because they need to bash you in the face with nostalgia.

• Like 2

Oh sure, they decide to start giving credit to people who make theme songs AFTER they use mine. (I don't really care. I just thought it was cool to hear a little tune I put together over a year ago come up randomly on a HDTGM 'sode.)

• Like 1

I was going to mention this earlier, but we got sidetracked talking about the new Ghostbusters today.

I'm starting this movie tonight, and I have to say that I'm kind of excited. Somehow, I missed this movie when it came out (today was literally the first time I had even heard of its existence), but I fucking love Renny Harlin. I'm really glad we're watching another one of his movies because they're fucking cuckoo bananas stupid.

Also, I love the fact that the trailer uses a song by Stabbing fucking Westward. Those guys weren't even a band anymore by the time this movie came out. What, was it too hard to get the rights to an Orgy song?

I hope Sebastian Stan sings a song with Rob Zombie at the end about being a witch.

• Like 5

I hope Sebastian Stan sings a song with Rob Zombie at the end about being a witch.

Funny you mention that...

Please tell me I'm not the only one who was singing ridiculous lyrics ("Witch Fiiiiight! Two dudes are having a Witch Fiiiight!") every time the distorted guitars kicked in...

• Like 2

Also, I love the fact that the trailer uses a song by Stabbing fucking Westward. Those guys weren't even a band anymore by the time this movie came out. What, was it too hard to get the rights to an Orgy song?

As someone who was completely in the demographic for this piece of shit when it came out I can tell you that that song was still in the zeitgeist for "punk/emo/goth" kids from 03-07.

• Like 3

Except for the blonde dude and Bucky Barnes, I can't tell any of these dudes apart.

• Like 7

This feels like an ABC Family TV show. And I can't tell the two male leads apart either.

• Like 3

Except for the blonde dude and Bucky Barnes, I can't tell any of these dudes apart.

The ending fight was so annoying/confusing, its just 2 bobo Jensen Ackles blowing bubbles at each other. Basically except for the Draco Malfoy wannabe and the lead singer of the Pogues, they're all the same guy.

• Like 4

I'd forgotten that I'd commented on this movie over on that thread a few years ago. From 2012...

"Oh wow, I'd forgotten this one, and with good reason! Everything about this movie is PAINFUL. It's full of scenes where people explain things to each other in a way that you would ONLY talk to a total stranger about things, not like you would talk to your kid or a friend that's known you all your life that you've had the very same conversation with numerous times before. I believe there was a bit where the main kid had used his powers irresponsibly or something, for the umpteenth time, and the mom is all like "Now remember, when you got these powers on your thirteenth birthday, I told you how you must never reveal that you and your three friends, all descendants of the original lords of whateverthefuck, have magical powers..." or something like that. She was practically breaking the 4th wall and telling us to write that down.

There's also some mispronunciations of towns that you wouldn't fuck up if you were a local that you would TOTALLY fuck up if you were just an actor reading off of the page and the director was Renny Harlin. I want to say "Gloucester" was the one in the movie. My dad is from Worcester, which I've seen get butchered a lot in other things, so anything spelled like that.

I think I lost count of all the raining/not raining/raining/not raining edits in this thing..."

• Like 3

This song was everything. I'm also down with the remixed version of Ghostbusters in the trailer. I've never seen the original Ghostbusters so I can only add that I'll probably see it but maybe not in theatres (unless the BF wants to go, who knows)

Here's my pitch for a character sheet à la LOL:

Steven Strait (main character): Low Rent Taylor Lautner

Taylor Kitsch: Friday Night Lights (FNL)

Toby Hemingway: Low Rent Draco Malfoy (DM)

Chace Crawford: Gossip Guy (GG)

Sebastian Stan: Winter Soldier or Bucky Barnes (take your pick)

It's not at the level of majesty as Shitdicks 1,2 and 3 but it's a start...

• Like 2

Steven Strait (main character): Low Rent Taylor Lautner

funny you should mention that cause my first thought about this guy was "oh he could've been jacob black"

• Like 2

funny you should mention that cause my first thought about this guy was "oh he could've been jacob black"

My first draft was Low Rent Jacob from Twilight but felt it was too long a title :)

• Like 2

Jesus Christ, I almost went into a douche seizure watching that!

I just impressed by how committed Harlin was to the tone "ominous." To paraphrase The Incredibles: "When everything is ominous, it's just another way of saying nothing is."

• Like 1

There was supposed to be a sequel called The Covenants, about the same group of snotty dicks now living in the suburbs and taking control of their local homeowners' association board of directors. "You saying I can't put up a shed in my back yard without going through the architectural control committee? [Floats in the air menacingly] There's gonna be a witch fiiiiiiiight!"

• Like 6

Speaking of a sequel, I'll go head on and copy what I posted in the recommendations thread for this movie

Since a sequel is unlikely to happen, the best fanfic author ever (best author ever maybe), Hans Von Hozel wrote a bit of fanfic to help continue the story. It gets pretty dark.

-----

All the Covenants wanted to use on their powers.

"When we use our powers!" say the Covenants, "It makes a drugs!"

And so the Covenants used their powers.

They made a happy danube in the sky.

The people saw the Covenants happy powers, and wanted to make a using of these.

"WE WANT YOUR POWERS ALSO!" say the people, and they go Covenant hunting!

The Covenants hide in a castle, but the people knocked down the roof and a splat.

"Oh no!" say the people, "We have crush Covenants and now not powers for us!!!!"

The people made a sadly.

They had destroyed all powers.

mua3w2.jpg

not another musical movie.

There are lots of girls in the background being completely ignored in favor of the guys' bromance.

• Like 1

I really hope they talk about why the fuck this movie is called "The Covenant." A covenant is a contract or agreement. I guess you could argue that willing powers is a type of contract, so maybe that's a covenant. But otherwise, I feel like they just chose the name because it's like "coven," but longer.

• Like 4