🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 130.5 - Minisode 130.5

Also, I love the fact that the trailer uses a song by Stabbing fucking Westward. Those guys weren't even a band anymore by the time this movie came out. What, was it too hard to get the rights to an Orgy song?

I have to say, I still enjoy Stabbing Westward. Admittedly I am a sucker for that late 90s NIN inspired industrial rock, but I think that their albums hold up really well. That said, when I was listening to the mini episode I was trying to pinpoint when the movie came out and the inclusion of Save Yourself had me thinking it was the late 90s.

• Like 3

I really hope they talk about why the fuck this movie is called "The Covenant." A covenant is a contract or agreement. I guess you could argue that willing powers is a type of contract, so maybe that's a covenant. But otherwise, I feel like they just chose the name because it's like "coven," but longer.

Or they thought "coven" was too girly because these are dude witches not those girl witches.

• Like 4

I really hope they talk about why the fuck this movie is called "The Covenant." A covenant is a contract or agreement. I guess you could argue that willing powers is a type of contract, so maybe that's a covenant. But otherwise, I feel like they just chose the name because it's like "coven," but longer.

I thought "the covenant" was the agreement the five families had about keeping their secret from the Muggles and Mudbloods. Granted, that doesn't seem to be the major issue in the movie, but that's what I got from it.

• Like 2

Can't help but think of "American Movie" when Mark says his movie's title is pronounced 'coe-ven' because 'cuh-ven' sounds like 'oven.'

• Like 2

If Cameron H. did nothing but provide this board with perfect Nerd Gifs, he would be a blessing to the internet.

I have nothing else to add right now, but I will be watching this garbage fest soon.

• Like 2

That said, when I was listening to the mini episode I was trying to pinpoint when the movie came out and the inclusion of Save Yourself had me thinking it was the late 90s.

I think that was really what led to my initial confusion. I was expecting it to be around the time of The Matrix, which had a soundtrack full of that kind of stuff and would have been around the time that song came out.

When I saw that it came 7 years later, I was really taken aback.

• Like 1

don't they have a name for male witches.?

28s7fom.jpg

I knew a male witch once, sad part is that's true.

Julian Sands in Warlock totally has my vote for a future HDTGM episode

• Like 1

Every time Renny Harlin's name comes up, I go to IMDB to remind myself what he has directed and I am just reminded of what an untapped resource he is. He has directed Cutthroat Island, Driven, Mindhunters, Cliffhanger, and many others that I am sure are worthy of dissection. What has to happen for this podcast to cover more of his movies? Do we need to kickstart the documentary Finnish Boogaloo: The Wild Untold Story of Renny Harlin to get more Renny?

• Like 4

Every time Renny Harlin's name comes up, I go to IMDB to remind myself what he has directed and I am just reminded of what an untapped resource he is. He has directed Cutthroat Island, Driven, Mindhunters, Cliffhanger, and many others that I am sure are worthy of dissection. What has to happen for this podcast to cover more of his movies? Do we need to kickstart the documentary Finnish Boogaloo: The Wild Untold Story of Renny Harlin to get more Renny?

What I love about Harlin is that all of his movies are vastly different. They're all shitty, but they're each a unique kind of shitty. It's not like, say, Uwe Boll whose movies all basically just reskinned versions of the same shit.

• Like 5

What I love about Harlin is that all of his movies are vastly different. They're all shitty, but they're each a unique kind of shitty. It's not like, say, Uwe Boll whose movies all basically just reskinned versions of the same shit.

Hey, Nightmare on Elm Street 4 is a treasure!

• Like 2

This should really open with,

? then will begin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB2Kcs7CQX0

here you go, ladys. Enjoy! . ;) this should take care of that male witch itch you've been having.

Personally I would of used the music "

" if i was making a list of hottest male witches but that's just me.

Hey, Nightmare on Elm Street 4 is a treasure!

Haha. I was going to say "except for The Long Kiss Goodnight," because I straight up love that movie. But I'm under no delusions of its quality.

• Like 2

Since it hasn't been brought up yet, I just wanted to give Paul a big pat on the back for how he handled the whole Robyn Lively C&O section. I was happy to hear him shoulder most of the blame--even though I don't really feel he had to. I do think it's a shame that the episode will be edited from here on out, mostly because I don't think what they said was really all that big of a deal, but I understand the need for some diplomacy in these sorts of situations. If nothing else, it's certainly preferably to the whole episode getting Smurf-ed or Green Lantern-ed.

Bravo to Mr. Scheer for being one classy dude!

giphy.gif

• Like 3

Haha. I was going to say "except for The Long Kiss Goodnight," because I straight up love that movie. But I'm under no delusions of its quality.

Die Hard 2 is also fine.

This movie felt like it was going nowhere for the first 3/4 of the movie. If I hadn't seen the trailer beforehand, I would never have guessed anything was even going to happen. Also This was also around the time Underworld was popular, so I guess since Vampires and Werewolves were already covered, Witches were the next best thing...but not the yucky women kind.

• Like 2

Since it hasn't been brought up yet, I just wanted to give Paul a big pat on the back for how he handled the whole Robyn Lively C&O section. I was happy to hear him shoulder most of the blame--even though I don't really feel he had to. I do think it's a shame that the episode will be edited from here on out, mostly because I don't think what they said was really all that big of a deal, but I understand the need for some diplomacy in these sorts of situations. If nothing else, it's certainly preferably to the whole episode getting Smurf-ed or Green Lantern-ed.

Bravo to Mr. Scheer for being one classy dude!

giphy.gif

Robyn Lively appears to be super fucking cool about it, too. I skimmed through her Twitter feed, and she seemed to have really enjoyed everyone talking about the movie and just being a part of all of it. I have a lot of respect for someone that's in something so silly and stands by it as part of their work (rather than trying to distance themselves from it), but also realizes that it's a silly thing that shouldn't be taken all that seriously.

Die Hard 2 is also fine.

I've only seen Die Hard 2 once. I own it because it came with the box set, but I don't care for it that much, so I usually just watch Die Hard and Die Hard with a Vengeance and call it a day. (That said, it's miles ahead of either of the two newer movies)

• Like 3

here you go, ladys. Enjoy! . ;) this should take care of that male witch itch you've been having.

Not all of us are ladies.

I actually own The Covenant on DVD. I think it was cheap at Gamestop, the guys were hot, and it was a lot less creepy when I was a decade younger.

• Like 2

The Covenant is straight up awful ....and has to have one the worst soundtracks of all movies ever on how did this get made

• Like 2

Wow just rented this on Amazon and the credits have already got me realizing how shitty a movie this is. An opening credits scene that looks like they just ripped off the opening credits of Spawn, a techno version of a Rob Zombie song, Taylor Kitsch, hammy line reads, and In Time level CGI:

• Like 3

Opinions on the new Ghostbusters trailer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3ugHP-yZXw

My biggest concern: why can't they all be scientists? The, "You're all scientists, but I know New York line" makes me cringe a bit.

I have no problem with it because they needed a straight man for the team like what Winston was. He didn't have a science background and was at first in it for the paycheck while also giving the team a grounded member to keep the more out there members (Egon and Ray) from going too far into the paranormal-ness of their work. Unfortunately, I wasn't too impressed by the trailer. I thought the CGI was well done, but things like the various weapons were kinda off the mark for me like the knuckle dusters and pistol version of the proton guns, because their makeup was kinda critical to how the Ghostbusters were able to catch ghosts while not blowing up at the same time, though I'm sure there will be an explanation for them beyond the "they will look cool on screen" aspect. Also I didn't like that they are trying to do a bait-and-switch with the audience about what this movie is in regards to the previous two films. For the longest time they were pushing that this is another universe with nothing to do with the original movies, yet now they have been more and more making this film seem like a sequel or passing the torch film by showing the firehouse, or referencing the other films from 30 years ago. That can only end up biting them in the ass when people come to the theater expecting that and getting a standalone film.

I've only seen Die Hard 2 once. I own it because it came with the box set, but I don't care for it that much, so I usually just watch Die Hard and Die Hard with a Vengeance and call it a day. (That said, it's miles ahead of either of the two newer movies)

Die Harder is easily the second worst of the series, though miles in front of Good Day to Die Hard. It's a decent movie but at times it just doesn't seem to click like the better ones. Live Free or Die Hard I thought was one of the best because it was high quality action with a decent story and villain while Good Day tried to rely on a couple good set piece scenes and a storyline ripped from the 80s, really Chernobyl?

• Like 2

I love Willis and the Die Hard franchise to death, but I think the biggest drawback to the newer films are the villains. Yes, Die Harder suffers from an infuriating amount of self-referential "jokes" and callbacks to the first film, it still has William fucking Sadler doing awesomely creepy villain nonsense like naked Tai Chi (while muscular). Die Hard With a Vengeance has the outstanding Jeremy Irons and the original features the immortal Alan Rickman as one of the greatest movie villains of all time. Who do we get in the newer ones? Timothy Olyphant? The least interesting part of both Deadwood and Justified (two of my favorite TV series)? Get that shit out of here. And Live Free or Die Hard? Despite some great action pieces, they might as well have called the villain "Some Fucking Russian Guy."

• Like 2

The Covenant is straight up awful ....and has to have one the worst soundtracks of all movies ever on how did this get made

I haven't watched The Covenant yet, but given that I see Killing Joke is on the soundtrack, I definitely disagree.

• Like 1

Killing Joke is outstanding and the love affair I started with Rob Zombie when I was 14 continues to this day, unabated.

That said, the soundtrack is very... 1999 alterna-metal sounding, a very much of-the-time trend, making it sound horrendously out of date in 2006. It was already tiresome when used to fill the Dracula 2000 soundtrack... in the year 2000.

• Like 2

Killing Joke is outstanding and the love affair I started with Rob Zombie when I was 14 continues to this day, unabated.

That said, the soundtrack is very... 1999 alterna-metal sounding, a very much of-the-time trend, making it sound horrendously out of date in 2006. It was already tiresome when used to fill the Dracula 2000 soundtrack... in the year 2000.

Speaking of Dracula 2000, didn't that come out in like December of 2000? It was almost out of date the second it hit theaters!

(Holy shit, I just looked to make sure, and it came out on 12/22...)

Also, Covenant may have been about the hundredth movie to use White Zombie's "More Human Than Human".

• Like 3

Also, Covenant may have been about the hundredth movie to use White Zombie's "More Human Than Human".

Rob/White Zombie back catalog use in movies: basically a license for Rob Zombie to print money...

gallery_hero_df802e1e-8303-46ad-b05c-efb246748453.jpg

• Like 4