🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 130.5 - Minisode 130.5

I want to like Rob Zombie's music more. He does have a few really good songs, both solo and with White Zombie, and when I saw him headline the second stage at an Ozzfest 10 years ago he was fantastic. However, I find that his albums just seem to have too much filler.

I only discovered Killing Joke with Absolute Dissent, and have really only explored their post-reunion music, and I am a big fan. Those guys know how to write an album with minimal filler.

I want to like Rob Zombie's music more. He does have a few really good songs, both solo and with White Zombie, and when I saw him headline the second stage at an Ozzfest 10 years ago he was fantastic. However, I find that his albums just seem to have too much filler.

I only discovered Killing Joke with Absolute Dissent, and have really only explored their post-reunion music, and I am a big fan. Those guys know how to write an album with minimal filler.

Same could be said about his movies. Case in point, "The Lords of Salem" I should of loved this movie because of the velvet underground music but i sure didn't.

I watched "The covenant" last night and I sure learned alot about witches. I just wish there was more cats in the movie. Mitten's NO!!!!!!!!

1zywvuh.jpg

his dark secret and shame. Warning you may not want to see this...

est9go.jpg

i am so so sorry you had to see that.

recommend music for this picture

• Like 1

I kind of hate to admit this, but I went through a wiccan phase when I was in high school. *sigh* but yeah, This movie was as much about "witches" as Twilight was about romance. Every time they said the word "Spell" I cringed. If anything, this was an X men movie where all the mutants were male Jean Greys.

Also the line "Only the males in the family" felt like kind of a bitchslap (witchslap? Ugh. I'm so sorry) to the "witches are female" stereotype.

• Like 1

Rob/White Zombie back catalog use in movies: basically a license for Rob Zombie to print money...

gallery_hero_df802e1e-8303-46ad-b05c-efb246748453.jpg

Rob Zombie - the only person closest to Gene Simmons who pimps out his music/band brand the most.

I kind of hate to admit this, but I went through a wiccan phase when I was in high school. *sigh* but yeah, This movie was as much about "witches" as Twilight was about romance. Every time they said the word "Spell" I cringed. If anything, this was an X men movie where all the mutants were male Jean Greys.

Also the line "Only the males in the family" felt like kind of a bitchslap (witchslap? Ugh. I'm so sorry) to the "witches are female" stereotype.

I think I learned more about magic from harry potter then I ever did from this film. I think the Pandora box of possibility's where left open on this one or at the last minute the subject matter was added. OK they are not superheros anymore, they are witches...that would explain the flying scene at the beginning. lets go down and meet them, but don't forget guys, Bros before hoes!

Rob Zombie - the only person closest to Gene Simmons who pimps out his music/band brand the most.

Those are no trump dollars.I'd add the picture but we've all seen it.

• Like 2

I finished watching "The Covenant" a while ago

Then I read the "Bad Movie Recommendations" and "130.5 Miniepisode" topics in their entirety to catch up

The HDTGM forum was safe, I wasn't going to post a reply for 300 years...

UNTIL NOW!

I found this movie to be "redundantly bad" not only does it disrespect its audience, It also "thinks" that the best way to get us to suspend our disbelief is through constant and repeated exposition.

This movie was so bad that it made me want to rewatch "Only Lovers Left Alive". Now thats a movie that gets how to justify and place supernatural beings in current times. If you have some free time I highly recommend it http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1714915/

Now back to "The Covenant"

There's an actual wiki for the movie. Not an article but a wiki...

http://thecovenantfi...e_Covenant_Wiki

This movie is a wiki of itself... It's only use Is to tell its one dimensional characters apart

I'd forgotten that I'd commented on this movie over on that thread a few years ago. From 2012...

"Oh wow, I'd forgotten this one, and with good reason! Everything about this movie is PAINFUL. It's full of scenes where people explain things to each other in a way that you would ONLY talk to a total stranger about things, not like you would talk to your kid or a friend that's known you all your life that you've had the very same conversation with numerous times before. I believe there was a bit where the main kid had used his powers irresponsibly or something, for the umpteenth time, and the mom is all like "Now remember, when you got these powers on your thirteenth birthday, I told you how you must never reveal that you and your three friends, all descendants of the original lords of whateverthefuck, have magical powers..." or something like that. She was practically breaking the 4th wall and telling us to write that down.

I think I lost count of all the raining/not raining/raining/not raining edits in this thing..."

^^ This... It's like someone asking you "Do you get it?" and when you answer "Yes I do" they tell you "I don't think you got it quite yet... I'll explain it to you again" but in movie form.

This movie felt like it was going nowhere for the first 3/4 of the movie. If I hadn't seen the trailer beforehand, I would never have guessed anything was even going to happen.

My feeling exactly... After the convenient spider swarm that bites Jessica Lucas so she can be out of the dorm room long enough for the Winter Soldier's reveal/threat monologue I felt that the main guy was in quite a pickle and I was genuinely wondering how was he going to beat the Winter Soldier, save everyone and protect the covenant but then the cop out ending and sequel set up ( "Where is he?" "I Don't Know" ) happened so I proceded to throw all my hopes out the window... For some reason I thought that Sarah (Laura Ramsey) was going to be revealed as a Witch ( maybe because of the way the camera lingers on her tattoos ) and help the main guy in the last fight

P.S. : Did Jessica Lucas and Laura Ramsey filmed "She's the Man" and "The Covenant" back to back? Both movies where produced by Lakeshore Entertainment and filmed in Canada and released in 2006 so...

T. hanks for reading my post Have a great weekend ( What's left of it.. ;) )

D4Mchuu.jpg

• Like 6

Whoa! I am watching this now and at about 38 minutes the blonde witch declares "Yeah, Dreamcatcher was the shit!" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a. I really hope this leads into a discussion of Dreamcatcher that leads them to finally cover it ala Teen Witch

b. I think that Renny Harlin might actually think "Dreamcatcher was the shit," which would explain a lot.

• Like 7

Whoa! I am watching this now and at about 38 minutes the blonde witch declares "Yeah, Dreamcatcher was the shit!" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a) I really hope this leads into a discussion of Dreamcatcher that leads them to finally cover it ala Teen Witch

B)/>/> I think that Renny Harlin might actually think "Dreamcatcher was the shit," which would explain a lot.

It's like a weird meta-recommend, like it's been recommended so much that it's infiltrated the universe WITHIN the HDTGM universe to make itself known. That said, I don't think we'd ever get so lucky as to have this happen with "Southland Tales"...

• Like 4

This movie was so bad that it made me want to rewatch "Only Lovers Left Alive". Now thats a movie that gets how to justify and place supernatural beings in current times. If you have some free time I highly recommend it http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1714915/

I liked it, but I felt like it was too set on having the main characters be super cool, quirky artists in ways that sometimes got in the way of having a coherent vampire movie. Personally, I thought What We Do In The Shadows was both a good parody of vampire movies and at the same time a better exploration of vampires in the modern world.

• Like 4

How could I have forgotten that... You are 100% right Lando! What We Do In The Shadows was epic! I loved how it paid tribute to the different incarnations of vampires. I also recommend "What We Do In The Shadows" if you are looking for a good laugh

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3416742/

• Like 4

I was curious about that as well, but for a different reason. I didn't read the book/story, but in the movie there was at least a metric ton of shitting. I was unsure if he meant it was the shit as in it was great, or as a play on that aspect of the plot?

(I remember the amount of shitting because I somehow thought it would be a great idea to watch that movie while sick with a stomach virus.)

• Like 1

This should really open with,

? then will begin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB2Kcs7CQX0

here you go, ladys. Enjoy! . ;) this should take care of that male witch itch you've been having.

Personally I would of used the music "

" if i was making a list of hottest male witches but that's just me.

I totally had/have a crush on Chris from Charmed. Definitely agree with him being on the list

I too went through a phase where I thought "What if I was a witch?" I watched Charmed from a very early age and was convinced if I tried hard enough I could orb things like Paige. In terms of wanting their powers, it was Paige, Piper, Prue then Phoebe.

Also, A+ for witchslap

giphy.gif

• Like 5

I like Jim Jarmusch movies so I guess I liked "Only Lovers Left Alive". not my favorite Vampire movie.but you did say modern day. My favorite Jim Jarmusch movie is still "Mystery Train", just for that one moment with Elvis comb, delivered so well by actor "Tom Noonan" most people know him from "Last Action Hero" but not me.

I would say most of Jim Jarmusch films you have to watch twice. kind of like David lynch films, you have to take it all in first, story wise then watching it again to figure out how it all connects together or you'll just not get the point of the movie. Tarantino does the same thing. I think all of Jim Jarmusch's movies are indirectly connected, story wise.

You can see that in "Ghost Dog" at the end, who does Forest Whitaker give his jacket too? Isaach De Bankolé. who ends up being in the shame type of character with the same jacket in "The Limits of Control" (2009) an contract killer. who has a love for fine espresso coffee with proper creme on top, I can't help but notice that. Jim Jarmusch maybe a espresso aficionado like me. as well as having the best hair in show business. and who does Isaach De Bankolé, kill at the end of the movie? Bill Murray, This is in the trailer so it's not a spoiler. "Broken Flowers" . there is a connection. but those are the ones I remember.

My favorite vampire movie is still "the hunger"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9IDoAPC6Ps

Mind you, it needs a better trailer it doesn't do this film justice, and hey I never noticed it before is that Willem Dafoe! Hey, lady how about it! LOL I think thats his only line in the movie...and he ends up in the film trailer...

• Like 1

So I found this for $3 at a second hand store today and picked it (same as renting it, so why not?)

Not even halfway through but my lord is this BROODING. This immediately came to mind:

I would love if they did Warlock!

I watched Southland Tales for the nth time last night. I would love to hear HDTGM's take on that clusterfuck.

Southland Tales veers from "How Did This Get Made?" into "Dear God, Why Did No One Try To Stop This From Getting Made?". It makes the post-Matrix Reloaded Wachowski's movies looks cogent and well-paced.

hardcore henry looks as nuts as crank

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96EChBYVFhU

I've seen this trailer a couple times now ahead of various movies (I think the first was Daredevil, maybe?), and I have to wonder how quickly the first person gimmick is going to get old.

It looks like a movie that exists just to be a montage of action-y violence, and I'll probably see it because of that, but at the same time, it kind of feels like watching someone else play a video game. Which, as we all know, is what everyone loves about vidya games.

Edit: I was talking about the new season of Daredevil with my friend when I wrote this. I totally meant Deadpool.

• Like 4

I've seen this trailer a couple times now ahead of various movies (I think the first was Daredevil, maybe?), and I have to wonder how quickly the first person gimmick is going to get old.

it looks nuts. and technically amazing too. cant wait ... prob need to bring a sick bag though

heres trailer 2

• Like 2

Yeah I saw it in theaters first before Deadpool but I had seen the test footage about a year or so ago when it was just called Hardcore. Basically it looks like they made a FPS video game as a movie. Because Sharlto Copley seems to be changing from a Eastern European soldier in one scene, which was the test footage, to a buttoned down agent of some kind, to a all out drug fiend in another. Also there is the "A-Okay" gesture the main character gives in a few points of the trailers which comes off as a "level complete" pose. I almost wonder if the twist is going to be that it was just a video game that the main character was playing and at the end will take off their glasses and go about their day. I'm interested to see it because from everything I've seen so far it looks like they saw the Doom FPS scene and said "they had a decent idea but the delivery wasn't right," and then made this.

Also, are the band members of Queen hurting for money because that's one of a few trailers for decent size releases that I've heard one of their songs in the last couple months, another being Suicide Squad and a I can't remember the others.

• Like 1

I too went through a phase where I thought "What if I was a witch?" I watched Charmed from a very early age and was convinced if I tried hard enough I could orb things like Paige. In terms of wanting their powers, it was Paige, Piper, Prue then Phoebe.

I also went through a wanting to be a witch phase because of Charmed and Sabrina!

I was more of a fan of Prue's powers than Piper's. Probably because I just wanted to move shit with my mind. Phoebe did kinda get the raw end of the power stick though.

• Like 2

I watched The Covenant last Thursday, and I wish I could say I remembered anything about it. I guess this movie cast its own special spell on me...

Tumblr_mxadblpgUv1rwhxhro5_r1_250.gif

• Like 6

I watched The Covenant last Thursday, and I wish I could say I remembered anything about it. I guess this movie cast its own special spell on me...

Tumblr_mxadblpgUv1rwhxhro5_r1_250.gif

It's okay. I saw it just once almost a decade ago and remember too much, so I'll carry the burden for us all. I deserve a holiday or something.

• Like 3

I also went through a wanting to be a witch phase because of Charmed and Sabrina!

I was more of a fan of Prue's powers than Piper's. Probably because I just wanted to move shit with my mind. Phoebe did kinda get the raw end of the power stick though.

I prefer Piper's because I didn't know that Prue also did astral projection at times in the show. She did in some of the novelizations but I didn't consider that necessarily canon. Paige wins because it's orbing and telekinesis combined although the responsibility of being a Whitelighter is not my bag. Phoebe was such a scrappy to me, she just kept getting more and more powers that I was like "Seriously, how much is Alyssa Milano paying you?"

• Like 1