🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 2 — Season of the Witch

Nic Cage makes his first (but almost definitely not last) appearance on How Did This Get Made with Season of the Witch, a psuedo-religious buddy movie set during the black plague. Chris Hardwick joins the HDTGM crew to experience the inconsistent accents and sub-par CGI that famed director Dominic Sena cultivated in this cinematic gem. They pitch some alternate endings, delve into the subtle differences between witches and demons, and ask the all important question: How many women were killed during the crusades? Keep leaving us your suggestions and tell us what you thought of this chain-mesh disaster!

FYI this is now available on Netflix Instant

After listening to this episode I had to toss out there that the masks worn by the doctors were historically accurate. Plague doctors wore the masks with the beak like protuberances that would contain aromatic herbs of some sort. The belief at the time was that this would protect them from the "bad air" which was believed to be the cause of the plague. Germ theory was not around during the plague. I did not see the movie, I just happen to know this random crap.

My buddies and I order some food and watch a crappy horror movie every weekend so that we can rag on MST3K style. This movie is the Holy Grail for us.

Insanely, the Eyes Wide Shut bird masks were actually historically accurate for the Middle Ages http://en.wikipedia....i/Plague_doctor

I was about to post that the other day. I learned that when I watched a Ghost Adventures episode where they went to an island where Italian doctors isolated plague victims, and burned them alive. They stuffed the beaks with shit that they would would prevent the ingestion of the plague.

Kinda surprised Hardwick didn't recognize the plague doctors. Had Assassin's Creed 2 not yet come out when this movie was released? Pretty sure after that they entered the geek lexicon.

Hardwick is a useless dingus. His high profile in the podcasting world is completely baffling to me. I'm sure he's a really hard worker and nerdist has some fantastic shows, but oh brother as a "comedian" that dude brings absolutely nothing to the table.

• Like 1

Hardwick is a useless dingus. His high profile in the podcasting world is completely baffling to me. I'm sure he's a really hard worker and nerdist has some fantastic shows, but oh brother as a "comedian" that dude brings absolutely nothing to the table.

couldn't agree more

Jesus christ. It seems like you can't browse Netflix anymore without seeing yet another obscure Eastern European Nick Cage movie on there. Does the guy owe money to the Russian mob?

The latest is Pay the Ghost, and it is the hugest point for point ripoff of Insidious. What do you get when you have Insidious but take away all the jump scares and striking imagery? Pay the Ghost, apparently.

Sign in to follow this