🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
WTF?MichaelDorn

The Truman Show (1998)

I put this in the category of movie I really enjoy, but so implausible that it's hilarious I was so captivated by this movie as a kid.

Huh? What's wrong with this movie? Why would this be good movie to mock?

• Like 3

Huh? What's wrong with this movie? Why would this be good movie to mock?

I actually enjoy this movie, but the implausible story plot is what I believe can lead to great laughs.

Examples:

Kid is adopted by movie studio and forced to live in a reality show, with no knowledge of the world around him.

A dome that probably cost billions of dollars to create to hide the outside world from Truman.

They try to kill him on live TV with lightning that they have managed to control with great accuracy.

It's a very far-fetched story, enjoyable, but out there.

I actually enjoy this movie, but the implausible story plot is what I believe can lead to great laughs.

Examples:

Kid is adopted by movie studio and forced to live in a reality show, with no knowledge of the world around him.

A dome that probably cost billions of dollars to create to hide the outside world from Truman.

They try to kill him on live TV with lightning that they have managed to control with great accuracy.

It's a very far-fetched story, enjoyable, but out there.

Granted, I haven't seen this movie in years, but I have to agree with Lando. I think that the best types of movies for this show to poke fun at are movies that generally fail at their intent and in their execution. While I see your points, they all work within the world the film makers were creating. They set out to make a movie about reality television carried out to extreme and absurd lengths, and that's what they delivered.

To be clear, I'm in no way a fan or advocate of Jim Carrey, or even this movie for that matter (I think I may have seen it once), but to me, suggesting The Truman Show would be akin to recommending The Naked Gun for the show because it doesn't provide an accurate portrayal of police work.

• Like 2

Granted, I haven't seen this movie in years, but I have to agree with Lando. I think that the best types of movies for this show to poke fun at are movies that generally fail at their intent and in their execution. While I see your points, they all work within the world the film makers were creating. They set out to make a movie about reality television carried out to extreme and absurd lengths, and that's what they delivered.

To be clear, I'm in no way a fan or advocate of Jim Carrey, or even this movie for that matter (I think I may have seen it once), but to me, suggesting The Truman Show would be akin to recommending The Naked Gun for the show because it doesn't provide an accurate portrayal of police work.

All great points, you've made me see the light. Lol, but can we please do 'garbage pail kids'

• Like 2

All great points, you've made me see the light. Lol, but can we please do 'garbage pail kids'

Oh! 100%!

I will say that this is certainly the most unique request for a well received movie that I have seen. You seem very earnest and nice in your request and even admit that you think it's pretty good. People usually come in, suggest a movie like this, say something like "Can you believe people actually think this piece of crap is good?" and are never seen from again.

• Like 1

I will say that this is certainly the most unique request for a well received movie that I have seen. You seem very earnest and nice in your request and even admit that you think it's pretty good. People usually come in, suggest a movie like this, say something like "Can you believe people actually think this piece of crap is good?" and are never seen from again.

In all honesty, my favorite HDTGM episodes are movies I enjoy or somewhat enjoy; or moderately like. The ones I enjoy less are the ones that I completely disliked to the point where it was unwatchable.

I am that guy, that has walked out of bad movies, fallen asleep, or in the days of rentals (is blockbuster still around?) return it early.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this