🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 131 - The Covenant

Also regarding Winter Soldier's ID being found in the dead kids car, it wasn't just as if it was on the floor like it might have fallen out of his pocket when he reached in to pick something up, the principal says it was found in the backseat, after the kid already lied right to his face about not knowing the kid or seeing him. This leads me to conclude that this school is so in the red that the principal is willing to look the other way in regards to a potential murder of one of his students by another student who just so happens to have a dowry attached to his acceptance into the academy.

I got the impression he was using his power to mind control the principal into letting that ID incident slide. Which I also figured he used to get into the school in the first place.

I disliked this exercise but totally agree with Cameron H. There's a difference between guys and girls here that I'm noticing. It's not like Scarlet Johansson, Michelle Trachtenburg and Alexa Vega surprisingly turned out to be hot. They were cute/attractive girls in the first place, they eventually grew up/matured and it was acceptable to find them hot.

Oh yeah I totally agree that there is a difference here. It's like when those gross ass men made those countdowns to when the Olsen twins turned 18 so they could suddenly sexually harass them and it not be illegal. I think Britney Spears and Emma Watson had ones as well and *shudders* gross.

I thought the whole thought process was when you were 12-13 who did you have a huge crush on? And at least for me I tried to steer clear of anyone that may have not ended up being conventionally attractive by society standards because that is mean. The gang probably opened up a weird can of worms with this one and we all took the bait.

Basically I apologize for contributing my crushes into this weird conversation lol.

• Like 1

Basically I apologize for contributing my crushes into this weird conversation lol.

I also apologize for contributing and bowing to peer pressure. I should have stuck by my guns and my gut reaction.

I'm so glad we can we put this all behind us now and get back to what's important and what this thread is really about.

Namely...

MA_Essex_Co_Ipswich_map.png

• Like 3

Ha ha I had a list of things I thought they didn't cover and then they hit almost all of them in the any last thoughts section.

One thing that wasn't brought up is that Caleb is a pretty sanctimonious dick about keeping the covenant but doesn't really practice what he preaches. ... But the most insane one was the last shot of the movie when he fixes his windshield while surrounded by about a dozen firefighters. Maybe chalk that one up to post concussion syndrome.

Here's why this is especially stupid. Caleb lives in Massachusetts. His car is registered in Massachusetts. The year is 2006. This means that Caleb's auto insurance provided glass repair with no deductible. Up until 2008, The Massachusetts Division of Insurance set all auto insurance policies in the Commonwealth. That agency set the deductible on glass repair at $0. Therefore, Caleb could have called one of the many glass repair companies on the North Shore. They would have shown up, replaced the windshield and billed his insurance company. This is very common in Massachusetts, and pretty much everyone knows that if you have glass damage, you can get that fixed for free in relatively no time.

Maybe Caleb didn't have insurance. Well, you can't register your car in Massachusetts without it. Maybe he was worried about his premium going up. Well, most insurance companies won't raise your premium for a single damaged windshield claim, but even if they did, a small rise in your annual auto premium seems like a better consequence than giving away a piece of your life (or whatever).

Side note: Glass repair wasn't always free from 2008-2012, but now I believe it is again.

Word.

• Like 7

Here's why this is especially stupid. Caleb lives in Massachusetts. His car is registered in Massachusetts. The year is 2006. This means that Caleb's auto insurance provided glass repair with no deductible. Up until 2008, The Massachusetts Division of Insurance set all auto insurance policies in the Commonwealth. That agency set the deductible on glass repair at $0. Therefore, Caleb could have called one of the many glass repair companies on the North Shore. They would have shown up, replaced the windshield and billed his insurance company. This is very common in Massachusetts, and pretty much everyone knows that if you have glass damage, you can get that fixed for free in relatively no time.

Maybe Caleb didn't have insurance. Well, you can't register your car in Massachusetts without it. Maybe he was worried about his premium going up. Well, most insurance companies won't raise your premium for a single damaged windshield claim, but even if they did, a small rise in your annual auto premium seems like a better consequence than giving away a piece of your life (or whatever).

Side note: Glass repair wasn't always free from 2008-2012, but now I believe it is again.

Word.

If this isn't the correction/omission of the week then the whole damn system is broken!

• Like 2

I'm so glad we can we put this all behind us now and get back to what's important and what this thread is really about.

Namely...

Also how hot Brendan Fraser was in George of the Jungle.

giphy.gif

• Like 4

Also that while they mentioned the "Harry potter can kiss my ass" line no mention of the "Dreamcatcher was the shit!" that we all hoped would get the ball rolling on a conversation about that movie.

• Like 2

I also apologize for contributing and bowing to peer pressure. I should have stuck by my guns and my gut reaction.

Namely...

MA_Essex_Co_Ipswich_map.png

think whoever was drawing up the northern boundary of Ipswich was listening to push the tempo or something .... straight .. straight ... straight ... ahhhh f#*k it ...

HiSI4h.gif

• Like 1

Also that while they mentioned the "Harry potter can kiss my ass" line no mention of the "Dreamcatcher was the shit!" that we all hoped would get the ball rolling on a conversation about that movie.

E2q5RA4.jpg

• Like 1

Something that just kinda thought of, relating to how they were expecting a "we're stronger together, power of friendship" thing. So it took all of them at once using their power to make the Hummer fly...but Caleb on his own and seemingly on a whim or as an immediate reaction was able to instantly disintegrate and reassemble himself and a car, which I would think would have been quite a bit harder to do. Was Tyler just such a useless load he weighed the whole thing down too much for any one witch to lift?

• Like 1

Something that just kinda thought of, relating to how they were expecting a "we're stronger together, power of friendship" thing. So it took all of them at once using their power to make the Hummer fly...but Caleb on his own and seemingly on a whim or as an immediate reaction was able to instantly disintegrate and reassemble himself and a car, which I would think would have been quite a bit harder to do. Was Tyler just such a useless load he weighed the whole thing down too much for any one witch to lift?

I like this explanation. Even though it is a tired trope I was really expecting them to have to Voltron up to beat the Winter Soldier. They should have fit in one quick scene to explain that Tyler was so useless that combining with him would be a net negative.

• Like 1

Can we talk about the chase scene through the woods?

Oh my god yes.

Let's talk about police in small-town New England ENGAGING IN A CLIFFSIDE HIGH-SPEED PURSUIT AT NIGHT to chase teenagers leaving a beach party WITH THE DEATHLY SERIOUSNESS OF CTU BREAKING UP AN INTERNATIONAL TERRORIST PLOT.

• Like 4

We're really maxi-padding the thread this week, you guys.

I'm just glad that I was early in pointing out that Gus Fring from Breaking Bad was in this episode.

• Like 6

I had nothing better to do, so I quick cut together a sample for the Quiptracks rifftrax for this movie

https://vimeo.com/158770733

Also, thinking about the flying Hummer driving off the cliff just brought to mind the shitty Dragon Ball: Evolution movie, also a good Quiptracks riff available for that too.

Another thing I remembered, did they mention in the episode about how wannabe Draco thought the best way to hit on the blonde girl was to tell her how much she reminded him of his grandmother?

• Like 2

But you see, that was all a careful setup by Draco's buddy so that he could then tell the girl how much she doesn't remind him of his grandmother. (Which is only the second-worst pickup line ever)

• Like 1

It'd be great if Paul NOT address this correction on the mini-episode, or maybe say that he checked Google Maps and it turns out, Jason was right all along and it's the boards who are wrong.

Not gonna lie, I hope that Paul does the mini with Jason, and reads my correction and then Jason tells me to fuck off and calls me a "dum dum." That would honestly make my year.

• Like 6

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE

Something that is brought up a couple of times on the podcast: Warlock is NOT the male equivlent to a Witch. The male equivalent of Witch is Witch.

(Let's get to the mythology of it)

A witch is a *person* who practices Wicca and/or uses a specific kind of magic that is centered on Earth-based ingredients or rituals (For example: rituals on the Solstice to welcome changing of seasons). The gendered diversion of "wizard" came later and is used for a general magic user (blood magic, voodoo, stars, etc.).

Warlocks, in fact, are kind of dicks (but again, could be a man or woman). A warlock is a witch who has betrayed the tenants of their coven, and had that coven turned against them.

Please share this with your listeners so we can stop the spread of this ignorance.

• Like 1

I guess one might say that Jason got his Massachusetts locations Ipswitched.

Sorry.

• Like 5

This one's been covered pretty thoroughly. I would just like to point out that you could easily reduce the entire cast down to Chase, blond girl, Caleb, and Caleb's parents, and not impact the story at all. The other girl doesn't matter, the dead kid doesn't matter, the provost doesn't matter, the cops don't matter, the other bully doesn't matter, and the three fourths of the covenant miss the climax of the movie and an important lesson about teamwork because they are in the hospital or sitting around at a dance.

The movie feebly attempts to give these other characters something to do by having Chase give the roommate the spider allergy curse, which he says is just to get to Pogue, who he also puts in the hospital just to get to Caleb. But why? It's not as though Caleb is hiding out or something, you see him at school every day. Just go pull him aside in the locker room and tell him your evil plan. Literally, the only character in this movie with any kind of arc is Caleb's father, who makes the momentous decision to sacrifice himself for his son five minutes after he is introduced.

• Like 7

found an article about a set visit for this. http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/165/a-visit-to-the-set-of-the-covenant/

the author said they had to build a 40ft cliff top so the lads could jump off it (the opening scene) and the rest of the area was green screened. that was pretty evident from the movie itself but my question is ... why did it need to be 40ft high if it was all green screened? could have been 5 - 10 feet high and you could have achieved the same thing.

also in the article it says the actors did alot of their own stunts especially the wire work. which is commendable. but it also says Laura Ramsey had to do some unusual stuff:

“I’m training for that right now. It’s going to be shot under water. I’m going to be in the air floating and they want my clothes and hair floating, so they’re going to shoot it under water and then digitally put it in the bedroom. I’m training to use the respirator like if you went diving under water. I’ll be in a harness doing circles underwater with the wax up my nose so there are no bubbles. The other scene, when I’m in the barn floating, I’m going to be harnessed but I’m supposed to be straight across laying and it’s really hard on your back, so they made a cast of my body so I can lay straight.”

i couldn't remember her floating in any of the bedroom scenes. this was the closest i could find to what she described:

2yxi5i8.jpg

that seems like alot of prep work for 2 seconds of screen time. maybe it got cut or something (maybe they used it for the barn scene instead) but i wonder how the actress felt after going through the training and discomfort ... for this?

its a short article but its worth a read. you kinda get a glimpse into Rennys thoughts on a few things

• Like 3

No it's Lee Norris from Boy Meets World when he played Minkus! I saw that one literally just the other day cause it was part of a bunch of ads at the bottom of the Lilly Wachowski article.

Yes that's who it was, but he was also on a show called the Torkelsons which was changed to Almost Home which was the show with Brittany Murphy that I for some reason remembered him from when it was constantly played on the Disney Channel.

Not to ignore the pleasure I got from the gang covering this film but I think the biggest laugh for me was the girl saying "if I wanted to spend 2 hours watching average looking people I'd go visit my family". Sick burn bro.

Also you've been pronouncing Covenant wrong, it's pronounced "COE-venant", man. What else could it be pronounced? "CUH-venant" sounds like "ovenant", man. And that's just... it doesn't work.

• Like 1

I know this is getting beaten to death, but I am so disappointed that fellow Massachusetts native Jason Mantzoukas had no idea that Ipswich was on the North Shore. Crane's Beach? The Clam Box?

I find it hard to believe a North Shore/Boston area boy has never heard of these and would have no idea where they are located.

His MA bonafides need to be revoked.

However, I think he was simply confused with Scituate which is indeed on the South Shore. I am sure he will redeem himself at the "Bloodsport" live show, which has the makings of being the greatest episode in the history of this podcast.

Not to ignore the pleasure I got from the gang covering this film but I think the biggest laugh for me was the girl saying "if I wanted to spend 2 hours watching average looking people I'd go visit my family". Sick burn bro.

That was a pretty harsh blow to her folks. I think it was extra funny because it was so unexpected

Also you've been pronouncing Covenant wrong, it's pronounced "COE-venant", man. What else could it be pronounced? "CUH-venant" sounds like "ovenant", man. And that's just... it doesn't work.

some of these dillweeds pronounce it with a 'cuh' but it's no big deal. I remember the first time I read the word chaos aloud I pronounced it cha-chose.

• Like 1

Sorry Jason but Ipswich is 100% North Shore and is not far from Marblehead at all. Having said that, everything else you've said about this movie sucking is true. Also, this movie should've been called tween witch blue balls.