🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 131.5 - Minisode 131.5

Anyone ever see The Quest? Am I misdisremembering, or is that basically just this movie? I'm pretty sure they have even 75% of the same opponents in the tournament, even have the guy who pretends to be a monkey and a tiger, except he grew a pedo stash.

I made a silly "second opinions" theme. I'd love to give other themes a go, but I'm not sure they would even be any good.

(Here's the theme I did make: https://soundcloud.c...he-word-opinion)

Sorry, I just had a chance to listen to this. I think it's simply wonderful! And, if I may be so bold, I'd just like to say, you have a very lovely voice. So lovely, in fact, I'm just going to go ahead right now and abandon any lingering thought I might have entertained about writing my own "Corrections & Omissions" theme song. Please take happy comfort that, with your exquisite contribution, you have mercifully spared the world from the brutal sonic assault that is my singing voice. :)

Brava! I hope we hear more!

• Like 3

Oh blood sport... that ending after the climax... Such 80's macho (unintentional?) homoeroticism.

abVETf4.gif

• Like 4

Love it! Great job.

Sorry, I just had a chance to listen to this. I think it's simply wonderful! And, if I may be so bold, I'd just like to say, you have a very lovely voice. So lovely, in fact, I'm just going to go ahead right now and abandon any lingering thought I might have entertained about writing my own "Corrections & Omissions" theme song. Please take happy comfort that, with your exquisite contribution, you have mercifully spared the world from the brutal sonic assault that is my singing voice. :)

Brava! I hope we hear more!

Oh, wow! Thanks! :D

• Like 3

okay this is my 500th post so I'm going along with that whole "milestone posts = movie rec" thing we threw out like months and months ago haha.

so with that this is the movie that I absolutely demand the gang to cover soon

33R5GIH.jpg?1

The Day After Tomorrow aka THE BEST BAD MOVIE EVER

This movie is basically a Stefan club advertisement because it has EVERYTHING

Tornadoes in LA? Check!

Dennis Quaid saying "paleo-climatology model"? Check!

Jake Gyllenhaal fighting CGI wolves? CHECK!

Please please it would make my life if this was covered on this podcast because it's perfect and ridiculous and I've seen it more than maybe any other movie ever!

• Like 7

okay this is my 500th post so I'm going along with that whole "milestone posts = movie rec" thing we threw out like months and months ago haha.

What's the minimum number of posts for a movie rec?

Because I'm near 200

giphy.gif

• Like 4

Anyone ever see The Quest? Am I misdisremembering, or is that basically just this movie? I'm pretty sure they have even 75% of the same opponents in the tournament, even have the guy who pretends to be a monkey and a tiger, except he grew a pedo stash.

Yes! So much so that Frank Dux sued Van Damme for a writing credit, claiming he and JCVD wrote this story together years before.

I loved this movie specifically for the acting of the young frank dux in the flash back. Not only did the actor have an inexplicable accent but the clothing when he tried to steal the katana was amazing:

2lb18vo.png

I believe the wardrobe director for cannon believed the san francisco giants and NY giants were the same team/sport. Or frank dux loved everything named giants

• Like 5

Also some of the training scenes start to feel a little rape-y to me. To illustrate my point I edited a pinball machine behind van damme.

21mc5kh.jpg

This movie could have been very different

• Like 3

so with that this is the movie that I absolutely demand the gang to cover soon

33R5GIH.jpg?1

Tornadoes in LA? Check!

Please please it would make my life if this was covered on this podcast because it's perfect and ridiculous and I've seen it more than maybe any other movie ever!

I saw that movie in the theater. As a Texan the part where they say Texans are jumping the Mexican border had the whole theater here in an uproar of laughter. (as I'm assuming happened in every Texas showing)

Also I had a silly thing happen while watching it.

The theater was pretty full, and I was seated near the back of the theater with a couple of empty seats to my right. somewhere in the last 1/3 of the movie this pair of guys run in the theater and sit in the seats next to me. the one right next to me turns to me and says "So what did I miss?"

My reaction:

AWh3jva.gif

For what felt like 10 minutes the only words that were coming to me were "You smell really good." Which I didn't actually say (Thank God). It took the person I was with asking them "What?" for me to snap out of it and say "Dude, the movie's almost over." They both laughed and apologized and ran out. (To be fair I was 19 and very awkward when that happened)

• Like 4

I saw that movie in the theater. As a Texan the part where they say Texans are jumping the Mexican border had the whole theater here in an uproar of laughter. (as I'm assuming happened in every Texas showing)

I'm genuinely sad I never saw it in theaters. But I did rent it and watch it with my mom and we legitimately watched it every fuckin' day we had that DVD rented. It was the greatest week ever. The last day we watched it with commentary which I highly recommend doing. You know a movie is ridiculous when Roland Emmerich and his co-writer are actually making fun of their own movie while watching it.

Also as a Texan we enjoyed that line but were happy that maybe we could at least just stay put and brave the snow.

• Like 3

What's the minimum number of posts for a movie rec?

Because I'm near 200

giphy.gif

I'm closing in on 1k. I should just shitpost stream-of-consciousness musings for a few straight pages in the next episode thread. That's the cool thing to do, right guys?

As a Texan

Also as a Texan

wirXNSF.gif

• Like 5

I'm closing in on 1k. I should just shitpost stream-of-consciousness musings for a few straight pages in the next episode thread. That's the cool thing to do, right guys?

If you were to do it in a bunch of random ass fonts and sizes, you'd be like, my favorite person ever!

• Like 3

jeanclaudevandammevsboloyeung.gif

Hey I watched da bloodsport last night, almost convinced myself that this scene was really in the movie. I was waiting for his drum kit to show up and it sadly never happened.

Tornadoes in LA? Check!

You sure you don't want this, instand.. it's a fan boat ride movie.

wish I had a chuck norris fan boat screen saver that would just come on when ever I wasn't at the computer, him riding around that river. it would bring a smile to my face every time, I came back here to my workstation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQCbF3cYR1M

This would of been a great pairing for bloodsport. Invasion usa

• Like 1

If you were to do it in a bunch of random ass fonts and sizes, you'd be like, my favorite person ever!

Don't forget to make them different colours within the same word too!

• Like 2

June and Jason's examination of young Frank Dux have the potential to make this the greatest HDTGM ever.

• Like 1

Thanks for listening to the New Mini -- We are going to trying out new stuff -- as new stuff comes let us know what you think

• Like 5

It would be cool if maybe there was a place to see some photos of the swag that gets mailed in.

• Like 3

It would be cool if maybe there was a place to see some photos of the swag that gets mailed in.

That would be really cool. Maybe HDTGM needs an Instagram account for that.

• Like 1

I think I've brought this up in the long, long ago, but here's something that might amuse us for a bit while wait patiently for the next episode...

What movie line(s), in (let's call them) decent to good movies, whether by delivery or design, do you think mar an otherwise enjoyable or entertaining movie experience? In other words, you're sitting there watching a movie, having a good time, and a line of dialog comes up that makes you audibly groan and smack your forehead with its stupidity.

I find it hilarious when these little hiccups crop up. I can't help but think how many hands a clunker of a line went through (e.g. multiple writers, director, actor, editor), yet for some inexplicable reason, somehow still manages to make it in to the final product.

Here are my two:

1) X-men (2000)

Storm: Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? (beat) The same thing that happens to everything else...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0yKSNq-oLg

This line is brutally awful--both in how it is written and how it's delivered. I think I read somewhere (maybe IMDb) that this is the only line that survived Joss Whedon's pass on the script, which is absolutely mind boggling to me. That means Whedon wrote a script, the Powers that Be threw away everything he wrote, it then went through a process of extensive re-writes and revisions--as well as table reads and rehearsals--and through it all, someone always said, "But not that line. That line stays. Halle Berry is going to crush this line."

2) Bad Boys II (2003)

Syd: Okay. I'll toss it right to you...right next to the mine!

Ho-lee Crap! I wish I could find a clip of this online. In the movie, at least as far as I can remember, Michael Bay goes to great pains to set up, through establishing and POV shots, that the characters are standing in the middle of a mine field, yet he must have still felt the audience would be too stupid to get what the character was going to do. Therefore, he assigns poor Gabrielle Union the unenviable task of basically reading her character's thought bubble aloud so she can clearly spell out what she's about to do--nevermind that all she would also be warning the villain of her plan. She then proceeds to slowly lob the gun she's holding by his feet, which--with the forewarning--should have given him ample time to kill his hostage and hop safely out of the way.

Does anyone else have examples of bad lines in good movies that stand out to them?

• Like 5

Does anyone else have examples of bad lines in good movies that stand out to them?

The first thing that pops into my head is at the end of Snowpiercer. (Spoilers ahead. It's on Netflix if you haven't seen it.)

I personally love the movie, some people find it utterly ridiculous, but I digress.

The part at the end,when Chris Evans' character is giving this tear filled, emotional monologue about how hard it was in the back of the train, and the fact that they had to resort to cannibalism. For some reason when he utters "I know that babies taste best." Something about it just makes me laugh. I'm not sure if it's because of the terrible way he delivers such an awful statement, or I'm just a horrible monster.

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufzNMqqKCi8

• Like 6

The first thing that pops into my head is at the end of Snowpiercer. (Spoilers ahead. It's on Netflix if you haven't seen it.)

I personally love the movie, some people find it utterly ridiculous, but I digress.

The part at the end,when Chris Evans' character is giving this tear filled, emotional monologue about how hard it was in the back of the train, and the fact that they had to resort to cannibalism. For some reason when he utters "I know what babies taste like." Something about it just makes me laugh. I'm not sure if it's because of the terrible way he delivers such an awful statement, or I'm just a horrible monster.

I couldn't stand that movie, but it could be because someone convinced me to watch it by saying it was "like The Raid on a train." But, yeah, that line made me laugh so hard.

• Like 2