🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 131.5 - Minisode 131.5

One of his actual claims.

Tremendous!

I have a comment on one of Dux's claims in the film but I'm saving it for corrections and omissions in the podcast episode...

He also made some other shit up, like how he's been places, and was born in Canada (why he would lie about being born in Canada, I have no idea, just seemed like such an odd thing to lie about). He just lied indescriminately.

He wants our free healthcare. Hopefully he stays out of the country

• Like 1

He wants our free healthcare. Hopefully he stays out of the country

We're British, we get it anyway, which makes it even more odd that he'd lie about being born in Canada.

All this talk about outrageous claims makes me want to write an 80's style high school comedy about a pair of geeky high school kids who keep getting bullied by the jock and his group of friends, so they seek out the weird guy who lives in a van in the mall parking lot who makes outrageous claims about his fighting ability to either train them or hire him to beat up the bullies for them. Hilarity insues.

• Like 1

All this talk about outrageous claims makes me want to write an 80's style high school comedy about a pair of geeky high school kids who keep getting bullied by the jock and his group of friends, so they seek out the weird guy who lives in a van in the mall parking lot who makes outrageous claims about his fighting ability to either train them or hire him to beat up the bullies for them. Hilarity insues.

I really hate to do this but isn't that more or less the plot of Drillbit Taylor?

The best think about this movie in my opinion is how fighting was perceived in the 80s. When this movie came out there was still a massive question mark about martial arts/self defense. Most of the traditional martial arts were exposed as non functional in real situations by this time and the schools had to cover that fact by teaching the students to "not using the martial arts in the streets or someone could get killed". The "someone" in most of the situations being the student.

I remember buying black belt magazines in the early 90s and reading all the bullshit claims that were being put out but being justified because the claimant know mystic asian secrets or something. Like some guy claiming that he could kill charging bulls with his bare hands. And this beauty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSzSflkns8

A lot of that bullshit still resonates today in the ufc. For example, There is a technique called the "12 to 6" elbow. Its just a downward elbow strike, Imagine sitting at a table and trying to hit it with you elbow. But, someone at the athletic commission that governs the ufc saw a karate demo on espn where someone was using the 12 to 6 elbow to break bricks and said "that technique is too dangerous on a human. Im gonna ban it". That rule cost jon jones his undefeated record.

Is that George Dillman?! Is he still peddling his shit?! II remember when one of his prized students tried his shit on Stephan Bonnar

It reminds me of the "Kiai Master", who challenged "Any MMA Fighter", and this happened:

Although, the greatest bullshit artist is Ashida Kim, who would have his $10,000 challenge, however, all the stipulations he had in place:

- You have to post a $25,000 "Appearance bond", if you don't turn up, he gets to keep it

- His fee is $10,000, which you must pay 30 days before the scheduled date

- You have to pay travel, and provide lodging and food for him, and three other people

- You have to hold the fight in a public place, and sell tickets to the event, which will be paid to him before the fight

- You have to have the fight sanctioned, proving your physical fitness, and that your skills are worthy enough for him to even show up, and you're under the proviso that he could actually cripple, maim or even kill you if he wanted

- The fight will be decided by

- A 5-Second Pinfall (Two seconds longer than Pro Wrestling)

- Knockout

- Saying 'Matte' or perfoming a 'Pat-out'

- Not answering the bell between rounds

- If he fails to appear at the match

- If a referee deems "Unsportsmanlike Conduct"

Funilly enough, Ashida Kim and Frank Dux know each other.

I really hate to do this but isn't that more or less the plot of Drillbit Taylor?

Yeah, that's Drillbit Taylor.

Never saw that movie. But I'm not surprised that's already a thing.

I think what Amy meant was she was gonna make a good movie where a fake fighter helps kids.

• Like 5

I think what Amy meant was she was gonna make a good movie where a fake fighter helps kids.

I know you said fake fighter, but.....

220px-Sidekicksposter.jpg

• Like 4

I think maybe Phoenix dropped out a bit too early to make a call.

Joaquin Phoenix was a cute child actor too (he was in Parenthood) and he grew up still attractive :)1415833549451_Image_galleryImage_No_Merchandising_Editoria.JPGMTIwNjA4NjMzNjYxMjYxMzI0.jpg

There are two types of kids, ones who grow up and look almost exactly the same, and ones that look almost completely different. Things can go wrong at some point in the growing up process with both of them, but it's a fair bet to say that people that were cute kids and grew up to look exactly the same, are going to transition fairly well. (Emma Watson, Leo, ScarJo, Jennifer Love, etc.) The ones that look completely different are the gambles that can go either way. Matthew Lewis a.k.a. Neville Longbottom is an often used example because he went from an adorable hamster child to what he is now, and if you hadn't seen him grow up in the HP movies, you probably wouldn't have guessed that was him.

I was always under the impression that the gay lover had no relation to the family at all outside of his relationship with the dad. Aunt Martha is the dad's sister and dad's wife is presumably dead since she doesn't claim the surviving child. Martha is just a supportive sister who understands he's gay. Ricky doesn't realize that the Angela is really the brother because of her headcast that she has when she comes to Martha's house, and seeing as how Martha is full on crazy, she might hide Angela away for the time being to let her hair grow out and create false paperwork to say that she is indeed Angela, as evident by her admitting to doing the kids' physicals herself as well as their other medical paperwork.

think we need to get angela to go on "who do you think you are?" in order to find the familial link between these two families

34t7c49.jpg

• Like 5

I literally just queued up the opening scene (at around the 4:50 mark) and the Dialogue goes like this:

Lenny: "John! We gotta go meet the doc."

*goes unheard*

Lenny: "John! It's 4:30 docs gonna be here soon."

John: "Come on fellas, Doctor Thomas is on her way up."

Angela: "Aunt Martha's coming?"

Peter: "Is Ricky coming too?"

John: " Nah. I'm afraid he's spending the weekend with his father."

• Like 3

The internet would have killed Dux's reputation for sure. The claim in the closing credits of Bloodsport it claims that over 5 years he fought 329 successive bouts, won them all and retired undefeated, and one of the tournaments involved 56 successive knockouts (in one tournament). Really?

On the other hand the fact that there actually is a caption card at the end with information about the real life character makes this feel like one of the more serious and credible Cannon films, like it's their Hawking/Turing movie.

That's sort of how Rickson Gracie claims to be undefeated in over 400 fights, which then Helio Gracie called bullshit saying that Rickson was counting sparring matches and amateur bouts in that total and if that was the case he would be undefeated in a million fights. As for bullshit artists from the early era of MMA, I was surprised to see that there were still guys going around trying to claim to be legit, even though their stories could be disproven in seconds with a Google search. One guy went really far to try and prove he was legit and actually fought former UFC Lightweight TItle contender Hermes Franca, who took the fight for a buck in order to just shut this guy up. Obviously Franca beat seven shades of shit out of the guy and then mocked him online.

Though I think the only ones worse than the fakers are the hardcores, similar to the "Just Bleed" guy from years ago in the UFC, who wanted MMA to remain exclusive rather than inclusive to a wider audience. I used to write for a couple sports sites and simply for the fact that the last real training I had was a karate class when I was six, these douches felt I had no stake in talking about a sport I love. Granted none of them had either fought or trained extensively, but they had the Affliction t-shirts and a couple old Pride events on VHS, so they were qualified.

That's sort of how Rickson Gracie claims to be undefeated in over 400 fights, which then Helio Gracie called bullshit saying that Rickson was counting sparring matches and amateur bouts in that total and if that was the case he would be undefeated in a million fights. As for bullshit artists from the early era of MMA, I was surprised to see that there were still guys going around trying to claim to be legit, even though their stories could be disproven in seconds with a Google search. One guy went really far to try and prove he was legit and actually fought former UFC Lightweight TItle contender Hermes Franca, who took the fight for a buck in order to just shut this guy up. Obviously Franca beat seven shades of shit out of the guy and then mocked him online.

Though I think the only ones worse than the fakers are the hardcores, similar to the "Just Bleed" guy from years ago in the UFC, who wanted MMA to remain exclusive rather than inclusive to a wider audience. I used to write for a couple sports sites and simply for the fact that the last real training I had was a karate class when I was six, these douches felt I had no stake in talking about a sport I love. Granted none of them had either fought or trained extensively, but they had the Affliction t-shirts and a couple old Pride events on VHS, so they were qualified.

haha, Manny Reyes Jr. reference.

Fuck Bloodsport let's just go over Sleepaway Camp again

Por que no los dos!?

Who would win in a fight between Dux and "Angela" with a sharpened broom handle?

• Like 2

I can't tell if it's an "official" site or a mockery, but frankwdux.com is hilaribad. Specifically, http://www.frankwdux.com/KogaRyu.html

I didn't read it all but it looks bonkers.

That is so many levels of crazy I don't know where to start.