🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 131.5 - Minisode 131.5

They covered a lot more ground with the Punisher than I expected them too, as I think they'd already announced that they were considering a spin-off, so it was surprising to have him already meet up so soon with who I'm sure will be his main adversary eventually. Elektra really hasn't done a lot for me though. Again, I'm not too big on the ninja stuff.

Totally agree. Elektra has been the weakest part for me, which is unfortunate because I was really looking forward to her. I flew through the first four episodes because Frank Castle was sooooo good. I'm only up through episode 7 because I just don't care at all about the Elektra storyline. It's funny because I've been reading Caroline Siede's bingewatch reviews on AV Club as I go, and she has the exact opposite response (although from one of the review titles later in the season, it sounds like she's changed her mind). I don't know what it is, but Elektra hasn't really gelled with me, and I really need more Frank Castle in the show.

Edit: also, her accent can fuck right off.

• Like 1

They covered a lot more ground with the Punisher than I expected them too, as I think they'd already announced that they were considering a spin-off, so it was surprising to have him already meet up so soon with who I'm sure will be his main adversary eventually. Elektra really hasn't done a lot for me though. Again, I'm not too big on the ninja stuff.

I was totally on board with her until

Stick came back and introduced her past and suddenly I was like ugh I liked it a lot more when she came into the Chaste as an adult and wasn't trying to convince Matt to go back to Stick.

But I will say that Elodie was the best Elektra they could've gotten!

EDIT:

I think that my main problem with that is actually that suddenly it was no longer about Elektra and Matt but about Stick and Matt. Even when they tried to introduce that Stick and Elektra had this huge past together it felt shoehorned in. I like that they tried to put in that Elektra becomes part of The Hand but again it just felt rather forced and like she was never given a proper character development. Seeing her kill a couple of people doesn't show me she has this huge darkness inside of her, especially when we just saw this whole trial trying to prove that Frank Castle is still a good person despite killing 30+ gangsters by himself.

• Like 2

Totally agree. Elektra has been the weakest part for me, which is unfortunate because I was really looking forward to her. I flew through the first four episodes because Frank Castle was sooooo good. I'm only up through episode 7 because I just don't care at all about the Elektra storyline. It's funny because I've been reading Caroline Siede's bingewatch reviews on AV Club as I go, and she has the exact opposite response (although from one of the review titles later in the season, it sounds like she's changed her mind). I don't know what it is, but Elektra hasn't really gelled with me, and I really need more Frank Castle in the show.

Edit: also, her accent can fuck right off.

I didn't care for the 2004 movie really, but Thomas Jane's performance wasn't bad, and I think Bernthal's take on it is most comparable to that version, as far as previous Punishers go, but still quite a bit better. He has no trouble fucking up your day, but isn't a hulking beast like Dolph or Stevenson, which makes him more sympathetic or relatable. I'll be damned if the Dolph Lundgren version isn't my all-around favorite Punisher movie though. War Zone plays better as an action comedy almost, while the 2004 one is a tone deaf mishmash of elements that don't all seem like they belong in the same movie.

• Like 1

I LOVE FRANK CASTLE

I LOVE KAREN PAGE

I LOVE FOGGY NELSON

I LOVE CLAIRE TEMPLE

I just finished episode 4 this morning. So far, my favorite parts are all Matt, Foggy, Karen, and Frank related. As soon as the devil horns come out, I find my interest wanes a little bit. But overall, I've been enjoying it--although, maybe not quite as much as season 1.

Did you all hear that Jeremy Renner would be interested in doing a Hawkeye show for Netflix? Thoughts? My biggest problem lives in that goddamn farm Whedon just HAD to introduce in AoU. Thanks for fucking us out of a straight adaptation of Fraction's Hawkeye run, asshole!

• Like 2

Did you all hear that Jeremy Renner would be interested in doing a Hawkeye show for Netflix? Thoughts? My biggest problem lives in that goddamn farm Whedon just HAD to introduce in A0U. Thanks for fucking us out of a straight adaptation of Fraction's Hawkeye run, asshole!

OF COURSE I HEARD ABOUT THIS, ARE YOU KIDDING ME??

I think that the bull shit Wedon did with AoU completely ruined any chance of having an interesting Hawkeye anything. Whether it be a movie or a Netflix run. We could have even seen him intertwined with Bobbi but then they had to go and give her another husband that's not Clint so that kinda ruined those chances as well.

I had heard rumors of Clint having a wife around the time that Bobbi was even introduced on SHIELD and I kept thinking "Oh my god are they actually gonna do something right and have them be married and mix the TV and movie-verse?" NOPE

Did you also hear that he admitted to being just as confused about the appearance of said family?

• Like 3

I didn't care for the 2004 movie really, but Thomas Jane's performance wasn't bad, and I think Bernthal's take on it is most comparable to that version, as far as previous Punishers go, but still quite a bit better. He has no trouble fucking up your day, but isn't a hulking beast like Dolph or Stevenson, which makes him more sympathetic or relatable. I'll be damned if the Dolph Lundgren version isn't my all-around favorite Punisher movie though. War Zone plays better as an action comedy almost, while the 2004 one is a tone deaf mishmash of elements that don't all seem like they belong in the same movie.

I fucking love the Dolph Lundgren version. I grew up on that one, and even though it's not a great movie, it's just so much fun.

• Like 2

I fucking love the Dolph Lundgren version. I grew up on that one, and even though it's not a great movie, it's just so much fun.

I'm pretty sure that it was my first introduction to the character, and it hits all the bullet points (heh...) of the 80s Punisher comics. Still don't know why they couldn't at least do a skull t-shirt, but I think the more recent "Realistic" stories in the movies and TV shows have retroactively made that more forgivable, as it doesn't really matter anyway what they're wearing or if it doesn't look straight out of the comics if the characterization isn't right. The Dolph Punisher movie is also a good representation of the product of its time, a fine late-80s B-movie shoot-'em-up, and I'd put it right up there with stuff that got a better release.

• Like 2

The 80s Punisher movie was an Australian production, so despite being in english has a bit of a translation problem.

Punisher was on space last night. with Thomas Jane, John Travolta.

simply amazing.. I didn't make it to the end of the movie but I bet that John Travolta's character wins this one. ;)

There was a 80's one?

as far as jason walking into rooms goes, this is the song that goes with that magic moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Naf5uJYGoiU

• Like 2

I did it again, with the "Deep art" stuff. I promise this is the last one. It's more straightforward this time with a painting style instead of using a movie poster.

9da667a91663ab2f437da0ab96b3b6a1.jpg

I just like experimenting with the thing, I've done a few other pictures of other thing that aren't the HDTGM gang.

• Like 3

For me right now my Punisher ranking goes Stevenson, Bernthal a very close second, with very Lundgren and Jane as distant third and fourth. Lundgren's Punisher was a bit too much of a show off, literally stepping in front of news cameras in parts of the movie, also the bad guys and cops could have easily found him by just searching where he bought the knives that were specially made with his logo on the handles. Jane's version was possibly the worst because they made him a Looney Tunes character up until the end of the movie with all of his tricks and games involved with getting his revenge (the "torture scene with the steak and popsicle is particularly cringe-worthy).

Right now what I've seen of Bernthal is fantastic as he is a perfect match for the early years of Frank Castle and his interaction with Daredevil is great, the third episode involving the choice about Grotto is almost scene for scene from the Punisher comics. Stevenson is basically my favorite because he epitomized the Punisher at that time with the MAX series being written by Garth Ennis. He is efficient and brutal, but even he has his line and own morality in regards to innocent bystanders or collateral damage. I heard they were interested in a Punisher series which I would love because there are a lot of great characters in his world that would be great for the screen. Though with the talk of a Thunderbolts series on Netflix, I see them bringing the Punisher and Elektra in for that since they were in the last series of comics, though no Deadpool unfortunately. Also since they have brought back William Hurt as Thunderbolt Ross, it makes me hope that he gets turned into Red Hulk soon to lead the team.

I've been a huge Punisher fan for years and have always hoped he'd get the love on screen that other heroes have gotten, and it looks like they have really hit it out of the park. Also if anyone wants more Punisher, I strongly recommend reading the Garth Ennis Punisher books the first series was in the early 2000s followed by the MAX series. Punisher Born is particularly great because it shows basically the start of the Punishers call to arms against villainy during the Vietnam War, and the sacrifice he had to make with fate in order to survive an ambush.

• Like 1

Whooooa! Did Matt Murdock just tell Karen Page, while on a date together, that he prefers "the cheap stuff?!?"

I can't tell you many dates I've said that to and it almost never works out like it did in the show.

• Like 1

Did you all hear that Jeremy Renner would be interested in doing a Hawkeye show for Netflix? Thoughts? My biggest problem lives in that goddamn farm Whedon just HAD to introduce in AoU. Thanks for fucking us out of a straight adaptation of Fraction's Hawkeye run, asshole!

I think that with some tweaks, they could still adapt the Fraction run and have it fit within the Marvel movie universe. I mean, the guy needs somewhere to live while he's in New York on Avengers business, and maybe he just wants to get the hell out of the office once in a while, so why not have him be the everyman living in an apartment in a shitty building with wacky neighbors and low-level hoods running around? Maybe he takes on an apprentice in Kate Bishop and keeps having run-ins with people from his past, thus making it IMPOSSIBLE for him to just get a day off.

Oh, and since I love the Dolph Punisher, here's a pretty fair article from last year that explains how that movie wasn't as bad as people think...

http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/the-punisher/246961/the-punisher-the-bloody-legacy-of-marvels-first-superhero-movie

• Like 3

I think that with some tweaks, they could still adapt the Fraction run and have it fit within the Marvel movie universe. I mean, the guy needs somewhere to live while he's in New York on Avengers business, and maybe he just wants to get the hell out of the office once in a while, so why not have him be the everyman living in an apartment in a shitty building with wacky neighbors and low-level hoods running around? Maybe he takes on an apprentice in Kate Bishop and keeps having run-ins with people from his past, thus making it IMPOSSIBLE for him to just get a day off.

I think one of the other problems with this, though, is that the Fraction run is so similar to the first season of Daredevil. Mob guys trying to buy out a building and leave hundreds of people homeless...

I really want this to actually happen but I'm so defensive of this character that my mind always goes towards the negative side of why it won't work.

But I think with the way you described it it could be totally different and be it's own story.

• Like 2

I think one of the other problems with this, though, is that the Fraction run is so similar to the first season of Daredevil. Mob guys trying to buy out a building and leave hundreds of people homeless...

I really want this to actually happen but I'm so defensive of this character that my mind always goes towards the negative side of why it won't work.

But I think with the way you described it it could be totally different and be it's own story.

Bro, the Tracksuit Draculas just seriously need to be a thing. At any cost, bro.

• Like 3

Bro, the Tracksuit Draculas just seriously need to be a thing. At any cost, bro.

hawkeye-4.jpg

WAIT! I just thought of a way to have it even fit into the things that Daredevil did and everything could work and not compete and sweet baby Jesus this NEEDS TO HAPPEN

• Like 4

hawkeye-4.jpg

WAIT! I just thought of a way to have it even fit into the things that Daredevil did and everything could work and not compete and sweet baby Jesus this NEEDS TO HAPPEN

?!?!?!?!?

• Like 1

The funny thing about this is, in preparation for Daredevil Season 2, I started re-watching Season 1. While watching it, it suddenly occurred to me--since Jessica Jones was still fresh in my mind--that Marvel Netflix's apparent formula (or at least common inciting incident) seems to be

Pretty, young blond woman is arrested for murder. Despite incredibly damning evidence against her, the hero, against all odds, must prove her innocence.

Which is basically Daredevil Season 2 except

replace "blond woman" with The Punisher.

Not saying it makes them bad exactly, just interesting to note.

Also, just a quick thing about spoilers. I'm not necessarily against them. If I know I'm not going to see a movie for awhile, or I'm on the fence about if I even want to see a movie, I've been known to seek them out (e.g. Batman v Superman), but seriously, if you put a major spoiler in the HEADLINE for your article--making it so I have no chance of avoiding it as I scroll through my news feed--you're just a goddamn monster! If I want a spoiler, make me work for it or tell me that's what I'm going to get if I click on your stupid article. It is in no way cool to write it in as the freaking title for your article! This recently happened to me with Star Wars, and just the other day, I saw an article with a headline that said something like:

(Major Spoiler for those, like me, who haven't had a chance to finish Daredevil Season 2 yet)

"Vincent D'onofrio talks about The Kingpin's Surprise Return in Daredevil Season 2!"

I mean, there must have been a million other ways that could have been written! In fact, I saw many different ways of writing it while trying to find the article so I could link it to this post. You see, I couldn't remember the exact wording since it has been a couple days since I saw it. That's right, I saw this on Sunday! A mere TWO DAYS after the season was released!

I mean, I'm sure it's not all that big a deal as far as the show is concerned, but that is definitely something I would have liked to have experienced as a surprise. Now, every episode I watch, and the Netflix description says something like, "An adversary from Matt's past comes back to haunt him..." (which feels like almost all of them) all I can think is, "Is this the episode where he shows up?"

Goddammit! It's so fucking infuriating.

It just makes me want to find that writer and pull one of these...

200.gif

• Like 1

?!?!?!?!?

Okay season 2 spoilers ahead under the cut

We now know that the Japanese nor the Chinese factions that we saw in season 1 disappeared. They just went underground and became part of the shadows to avoid Daredevil. Plus we see that Fisk never once lost his power or his ability to control. So there is a way that the Russians also were never pushed out either and just moved over to Brooklyn in order to stake claim in that area. Clint could battle the tracksuits there and even come into contact with Matt and exchange help in order to keep the dirt out of New York since Matt thought he scared them out of NYC. It probably would have to be after The Defenders plot line that they're going with now, but there's always more villains to defeat and The Hand definitely won't be the end all be all for them anyway. This way we can introduce Kate and then more Young Avengers and possibly prepare them for their own series of movies of Netflix runs.

This is probably what your line of thought was anyway but it was kinda an "ah-ha" moment for me when I worked in Matt Murdock lol.

• Like 2

Thanks for that link, I'll have to check that out. this looks like he could be my kind of

(Major Spoiler for those, like me, who haven't had a chance to finish Daredevil Season 2 yet)

"Vincent D'onofrio talks about The Kingpin's Surprise Return in Daredevil Season 2!"

I mean, there must have been a million other ways that could have been written! In fact, I saw many different ways of writing it while trying to find the article so I could link it to this post. You see, I couldn't remember the exact wording since it has been a couple days since I saw it. That's right, I saw this on Sunday! A mere TWO DAYS after the season was released!

I mean, I'm sure it's not all that big a deal as far as the show is concerned, but that is definitely something I would have liked to have experienced as a surprise. Now, every episode I watch, and the Netflix description says something like, "An adversary from Matt's past comes back to haunt him..." (which feels like almost all of them) all I can think is, "Is this the episode where he shows up?"

Goddammit! It's so fucking infuriating.

It just makes me want to find that writer and pull one of these...

200.gif

My best friend was traveling for work when the Game of Thrones season finale aired last season. For those of you who don't watch it, a major character was killed (at least, appears to have been killed) in the finale. My friend had an hour layover at D/FW before continuing to Austin, where he planned on driving straight home and watching the finale.

He logged onto the WiFi at D/FW to check his email. You know how on a lot of public WiFi networks, you get a splash page after you log in? Theirs had a bunch of headlines from Yahoo! News, and the very first one was "[Actor] on [Character]'s Death Scene on Last Night's Game of Thrones Finale"

• Like 1