🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
DarrenHupke

Van Damme Character Names

I am a more recent convert to the Church of HDTGM, and I've been (finger) blasting through the previous episodes. I just coincidently listened to the Double Team episode and caught the current mini-episode. I am pumped to watch Bloodsport again. It got me thinking, though. How many times has JCVD been cast in roles with generic names that he'd never REALLY have with an accent like that. No one will ever believe he is US military or CIA, or a middle-America hometown hero, so when he is cast as such, why not just tweak the script? If you are in to JCVD, you probably aren't attached to the plot and you just want to see him kick ass.

Here is a selection of his movies and character names during the 90's from IMDb:

Knock Off

Marcus Ray

Bloodsport

Frank Dux (as Jean Claude Van Damme)

• Like 1

Schwarzenegger probably has the best ones:

John Matrix

Howard Langston

Harry Tasker

John Kimble

Ben Richards

Adam Gibson

Jericho Cane

Gordy Brewer

Ray Owens

John Wharton

But, a lot of them are prefaced with "My mother was Austrian, and I moved over to America".

• Like 1

This thread is kinda personal to me cause in a couple of movies van damme would say he's from Quebec. I believe the writers thought is was the only place to justify his accent.

Quebecers were in love with van damme during the 90s for it.

Gibson Rickenbacker! Oh my days

This is my favorite. All the characters were named after guitars, too. I've never seen the movie, but I'd like to know why.

• Like 1

This is my favorite. All the characters were named after guitars, too. I've never seen the movie, but I'd like to know whyr.

Oh, you know, that whole cyborg-guitar thing...

I'm sorry, but you forgot Luc Devereaux (if you don't buy him as Cajun) from the "Universal Soldier" series. I didn't even have to look it up. They're THAT great...except for "The Return". That one can go fuck itself.

• Like 2

John Matrix

Howard Langston

Harry Tasker

John Kimble

Ben Richards

Adam Gibson

Jericho Cane

Gordy Brewer

Ray Owens

John Wharton

But, a lot of them are prefaced with "My mother was Austrian, and I moved over to America".

Douglas Quaid from "Total Recall", is pretty unbelievable, but only because I'm comparing him to the only other Quaids I've heard of.

This thread is kinda personal to me cause in a couple of movies van damme would say he's from Quebec. I believe the writers thought is was the only place to justify his accent.

Quebecers were in love with van damme during the 90s for it.

Not as personal as it is to a Belgian like me. B)

I'm sorry, but you forgot Luc Devereaux (if you don't buy him as Cajun) from the "Universal Soldier" series.

I haven't seen any of them. Does he at least attempt some kind of altering of his accent? I'm guessing no.

I could go on for a while about the varieties of Southern accents, and really bad ones.

I haven't seen any of them. Does he at least attempt some kind of altering of his accent? I'm guessing no.

I could go on for a while about the varieties of Southern accents, and really bad ones.

Aside from the second one, which you can totally skip, he talks less and less as the series goes on, so it isn't as ridiculous.

John Matrix

Howard Langston

Harry Tasker

John Kimble

Ben Richards

Adam Gibson

Jericho Cane

Gordy Brewer

Ray Owens

John Wharton

My love of Schwarzenegger and Stallone led me to buy these pieces from Six AM Comics (who is a great artist by the way, you all should definitely check out his work.

the-many-faces-of-sylvester-stallone-prints.jpg

the-many-faces-of-arnold-schwarzenegger-jty-prints.jpg

I had him commission me a piece on the various gangs from The Warriors and have wondered if it would be good to have one done for another crazy actor like Nic Cage or Van Damme, but thinking on it, those two really don't alter their character looks much outside of wigs.

Chance Boudreaux - Hard Target

Christopher Dubois - The Quest

Alain Moreau / Mikhail - Maximum Risk