🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 132 - Bloodsport: LIVE!

My extra favorite part of this is that JCVD is hallucinating Chong Li in clothes that he has never seen him in before.

Damn! You fuckers are on fire today! That's fucking awesome!

• Like 2

So you are reporting on secret, fight-to-the-death tournament where honestly the only thing to take note of is that two men enter and one man leaves. That's it. So why blow your cover so obviously and what are you calling out for later???

IMG_0879_zpsdwlcyrji.png

• Like 6

So now that we have brought up the connection to Tong Po/Kickboxer.... aren't these two movies essentially the same??

I agree that the time frame doesn't work to connect Chong Li to the death of Tanaka's son in the previous Kumite tournament. However it was a total miss on Sheldon's part to not link Frank's desire to enter intense training and then fight in the Kumite. But again, this is literally the same plot as Kickboxer. JCVD quickly learns to become a perfect "martial scientist" to enter a secret tournament to avenge the paralysis of his brother by the hand's of the #1 fighter.

I strongly feel that the cinematographer and producer of Bloodsport got together at the craft services table during the filming and came up with the concept of Kickboxer. Each had a huge role in the follow-up film in that the former becomes the director (per the amazing Amazon 5-star review) and the latter was one of the writers of Kickboxer.

It gets even better, because Bloodsport 2 and Kickboxer 2 are identical stories to their predecessors:

Bloodsport 2, I talked about previously in this thread.

Kickboxer 2 - Kurt and Eric Sloane are killed by Tong Po, but there is a third Sloane brother, David! Well, David wants to avenge the death of his brothers, so he wants to fight Tong Po. And gets Xian to train him for the fight.

I'm confused. If the blurry shots were JCVD's POV, then how is JCVD really blind? If JCVD can serve tea blindfolded, he can certainly fight to the death with a slight eye irritation.

Zvjzkqb.png

• Like 1

Hey Frank! You just witnessed Ray Jackson get his head/neck stomped on. Do NOT grab him by the neck and shake him!

dHm2jdn.png

• Like 2

I just met a friend of a friend who was so drunk he made up a song about JCVD but he kept singing "JV Claude Damme" and it tickled me so much that I can't refer to him as anything else anymore.

So far Nicole Byer is the best guest ever and I want her and Jason to have their own spin-off podcast where they just talk about parts of movies that turned them on lol.

• Like 10

Paul,

You called out the obvious exposition in this film, but one of my favorite examples of that was the song "On My Own." This track played immediately after Frank leaves the Ray in the hospital and delivers some amazing "see n' say":

It hurts to find that you failed the test

Knowing that you gave your best

(Obviously this is commenting on Ray failing in his fight with Chong Li.)

As your friend I'll never let you down

I know you didn't mean to leave me

On my own Alone tonight

("Ray... I'm so sad. Why did you get hurt.")

I'm going to gather my strength

Going to find the power

Then you know I'm going to make it right

(This foreshadows the scene where Frank is meditating at the temple, thus getting his head straight for the final round.)

It's after dark you fear the most

To face alone your private ghosts

(This is where the image of Chong Li is see in the bus' reflection.)

• Like 1

Maybe I missed it in the podcast, but Bloodsport has one of my all-time favorite movie lines, which I quote all the time, "O.K., U.S.A!"

ETA: Really looking forward to the Dreamcatcher episode.

If June were there I think she would have let them know their little buddy was the concierge hired by the Kumite people to take care of the North American fighters. It seems like a first rate organization other than stopping pretty easily preventable deaths in the ring.

• Like 1

Maybe I missed it in the podcast, but Bloodsport has one of my all-time favorite movie lines, which I quote all the time, "O.K., U.S.A!"

ETA: Really looking forward to the Dreamcatcher episode.

The gang didn't talk about it, but one of the audience members gave it as their alternate title before their question.

• Like 1

I just met a friend of a friend who was so drunk he made up a song about JCVD but he kept singing "JV Claude Damme" and it tickled me so much that I can't refer to him as anything else anymore.

So far Nicole Byer is the best guest ever and I want her and Jason to have their own spin-off podcast where they just talk about parts of movies that turned them on lol.

i thought she was amazing. for the first couple of minutes i thought she sounded alot like chelsea peretti.

think she just made it onto the all-stars team

• Like 6

If June were there I think she would have let them know their little buddy was the concierge hired by the Kumite people to take care of the North American fighters. It seems like a first rate organization other than stopping pretty easily preventable deaths in the ring.

And yet, we never see Mr. Lin taking care of any other fighters but Frank and Ray. Sure you can say these are the only two guys he is overseeing, but Lin himself says he's in charge of "all North American fighters." Where are all the Mexican and Canadian fighters?! Once again, racist movie! ha.

• Like 1

I know they discussed how many times "Kumite" is quoted in the movie, but I legitimately counted them (including the choruses of "Fight to Survive") and got 100!

1-0-0 Times!!!

Also I find it strange for a secret fight tournament to be sponsored by the IAFF! Wouldn't it have been awesome if IAFF is connected with TAB soda and we had a huge logo on the mat?

• Like 3

Jason loves Joust????

I think I just found my soulmate!

379954.jpg

Also, yes, it IS laughably easy to download Joust online, and you can use an XBox 360/XBONE controller on your PC.

• Like 5

The one audience member brought up t-shirts with the NY vs SF Giants but, did anyone else notice that one of the bullies beating up JCVD's now deceased Asian adoptive brother was wearing a Bartles & Jaymes t-shirt?

• Like 4

I second this recommendation. This is the first movie I have ever seen where the main henchman was a lesbian and JCVD whups her ass for raping the love interest. Blew my mind when I saw this as a child.

The second movie that is peak JCVD is Timecop. It is the high nadir of JCVD movies. Random sex. Splits. JCVD inexplicably playing an American. Good fights. And Ron Silver as the bad guy. So good.

Timecop is pretty good. Like, legitimately so. Probably too good for HDTGM? I re-watched a bunch of Van Damme movies in December-January and I was surprised at how decent it is.

• Like 2

i thought she was amazing. for the first couple of minutes i thought she sounded alot like chelsea peretti.

I'm glad it wasn't just me. About halfway through, I thought, "Man, this lady is a mix between Zouks and Chelsea Peretti."

Also, I had no idea who she was and only glanced at the episode title on my phone before listening, and I totally had her confused with Vanessa Bayer for about the first 1/3 of the episode.

• Like 1

IMG_20160323_081419_zpsocr3hkz5.jpg

The playful nature of the chase scene reminded me of Lupin III. Not only is he playing with his pursuers, ones who are never a real threat, he makes sure to wait around to let them know he's getting away (all while donning a bright, pastel colored jacket).

• Like 1

Listening to that guy do the splits was easily my favourite part. I saw the video of it on Paul's Facebook and have been dying of anticipation for the episode. Live shows are my

Nicole was phenomenal. She's like Jason except more concerned, like when she asked that guy how his dick was. That made my morning.

• Like 4