🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 132 - Bloodsport: LIVE!

it gets better, here is the list of the real life bloodsport players.

21ni5xx.jpg

as taken from the history vs Hollywood page.

Frank w dux is canadian!! now I know why JCVD had taken that role. and they made him American

all I can say is good job...when it comes to the casting of Donald Gibb, spot on!

---

There is a Kumite Tournament tshirt there I've got my eye on.

Now how awesome is that!

vmyftd.jpg

as awesome as that tshirt is, Then I found this one at amazon.com. plan 9 this has got your name on it.

Mind you I still sort of like the red one. with just the logo.

holy shit!, scroll down at amazon and look at what i found.

This is the kind of tshirt earwolf should be selling.

t62d5u.jpg

Please use the earwolf link when you buy this stuff.

I know someone here who shall remain nameless is going to want this, item when he sees this. if he doesn't have it already that is. Jean-Claude Van Damme 1/6 scale collectible figure.

you may have to use your Patrick Swayze money to pay for that item.

• Like 4

It says in the final title card that Dux holds the world record for most consecutive knockouts in a single tournament with 56. Now, in this film, Kumate is bracket style. This would imply that the number of combatants is 2^56 or 720 trillion. Seeing as the earth's population is only 7.125 Billion, that would imply that that Kumate Tournament has 1 million times the population of the earth, posing the question: This must be an intergalactic fighting competition.

I agree

Sorry to change topic so quickly but I'm watching the TV show The Flash now - it's being broadcast here in the UK.

So Barry Allen's girlfriend is moving from Central City to Midway City which is apparently ending the relationship because she's leaving town. As I understand it, in the DC Universe these two cities are about 300 miles apart. That's a fifteen minute jog for the Flash, how does that end the relationship? Idiots.

• Like 3

also, in the mini thread i said this was the most GIF-able movie ever ... please indulge me for a while

do you remember when you were in class and some joker down the back would let one rip:

bloodsportfartproper.gif

and i think we can all agree this movie has the best acting ever .... but the eye acting was amazing ... a few examples

bloodsporteyes.gif

little old lady getting VAN DAMMMEEDDD

313rac0.jpg

and this just made me laugh ... his change in expression

15eigwm.jpg

thanks for your time

these make me think maybe Tyra Banks isn't responsible for smizing after all

• Like 1

tumblr_mr6bet3Z201rp0ohxo1_250.gif

Petition to get Nicole Byer to be a return guest for all JCVD movies? Also that we use her gifs from Girl Code for every reaction?

Seconded!

Does anyone else keep reading "kumite" as "ku-might?" I've been amusing myself by pretended kumite is a type of marmite that Frank Dux invented. He won a competition for eating it.

• Like 5

KUMITE TIME!

Ladies and gentlemen, meet the real life Frank Dux.

2epncww.jpg

For some reason he sort of reminds me of Steven Seagal.

Fans of Opie and Anthony could liken him to their security guy, Club Soda Kenny

original.png?1427641072

So, I rewatched this last night, and I noticed something. In the scene where young Frank defends Tanaka's son, there are four kids watching. Check out the second kid from the right:

zPdwvyG.png

What kind of shitty-ass parents does this kid have? Does this kid come to school every day in alcohol-related clothing? Or did they just run out of laundry, so his mom gave him the one clean shirt they had lying around, which just happened to be for fucking wine coolers?

Also, why wouldn't his teachers have sent him home? I mean, I was actually about these kids' age when this movie came out, and I remember a couple people being sent home for shirts with Spuds MacKenzie or Joe Camel on them. Maybe that was just super-conservative Texas small town stuff. But, like, at least those clothes featured mascots that appealed to children (and, it's been argued that they were specifically designed for that purpose). The kids I knew that wore them weren't thinking about Budweiser or Camel when they put them on; it was a shirt with a pop culture character from TV. I find it hard to believe that a kid would be like, "Fuck yeah. Where's my Bartles and Jaymes shirt? That makes me look rad!"

• Like 1

In regard to the "kissing" cousins' question regarding Chong Li's snot rockets, I have two theories:

1) He's opening up his airway so he can breath better, reducing his chances of getting winded during the match.

2) Rather than flexing his muscles, he was making a derisive gesture at his opponent. Aside from someone actually picking a booger from their nose and flicking it at you, I don't think there is a more effective way of conveying to a person you're about to fight that they're beneath you than to project a gooey, green booger at their feet.

• Like 1

Also, the part where they say Chong Li is silent whenever he wins, he does let out some high pitch caterwaul of victory when he thinks he has beaten Dux, which is ironic, considering Jackson did the same with him.

• Like 1

In regard to the "kissing" cousins' question regarding Chong Li's snot rockets, I have two theories:

1) He's opening up his airway so he can breath better, reducing his chances of getting winded during the match.

British football players are extremely good at this. The velocity and distance they achieve, while quite disgusting, is very impressive.

• Like 1

Bear with me for a bit here, guys, because I have a lot to say about the flashback. Some of it is kind of rambly, but I'm really trying to figure out what the fuck is going on in this sequence.

What happened to Frank's parents? Like, Mr Miyagi Tanaka shows up and basically tells them that they are shitty parents and Frank needs his training (for real, that speech to his parents is suuuuper fucking condescending), and they're totally cool with him training with/being tortured by Tanaka. Then we never see or hear about his parents again.

Also, does he go live with Tanaka? Something about their whole relationship strikes me as weird. Like, I get that they were clearly trying to go for a Karate Kid-type thing where the wise mysterious Asian man teaches the All-American kid to be the best fighter (which is probably a conversation for another time). But in The Karate Kid, Daniel LaRusso was in high school. He has a certain level of independence because he's a bit older than young Frank seems to be (not to mention that his mother seems to be absent often because she's working to support him by herself).

But we don't get any of this from Frank's flashback. Literally all we get is that he breaks into a house and tries to steal a sword. Then Tanaka is like, "You can't steal a katana sword" - which, by the way, you totally fucking can - and then little Tanaka kicks him in the chest once, and he goes down hard. Then, because he doesn't flinch when Tanaka slices his hat, Tanaka's like, "Oh, you're a fighter."

Does Tanaka tell Frank's parents ANY of this when he talks to them? How would you even bring that up? "Oh, your son broke into my house and tried to steal my sword, but I stopped him, had my son kick his ass, and then I sliced the sword an inch from his fucking face just to see if he would react to it."

And if he didn't tell him what happened, how does he convince Frank's parents to let Frank be his son's practice dummy/his blind tea bitch?

• Like 1

Somewhat ironically, he pulled out

Something tells me JCVD never pulls out.

I'm not even sorry.

• Like 5

Does Tanaka tell Frank's parents ANY of this when he talks to them? How would you even bring that up? "Oh, your son broke into my house and tried to steal my sword, but I stopped him, had my son kick his ass, and then I sliced the sword an inch from his fucking face just to see if he would react to it."

And if he didn't tell him what happened, how does he convince Frank's parents to let Frank be his son's practice dummy/his blind tea bitch?

That's a good question...Like, he has to be coming home all bruised up and his parents don't do anything? Not even, "Hey, I don't want you to go over there anymore?" What the fuck?

Like, I get that they were clearly trying to go for a Karate Kid-type thing where the wise mysterious Asian man teaches the All-American kid to be the best fighter (which is probably a conversation for another time).

Well, Iron Fist is coming...

(I would like to say--as an avowed Iron Fist fan--I'm not disappointed with the casting, but then again, I wouldn't have really cared what race he was as long as the show is good. So far, as far as I'm concerned, Netflix has been batting .1000, so I'm willing to trust that they know what they're doing. That being said, do you know what I wish had happened? Continuity be damned (and this for one of my top five characters), but after watching Jessica Jones, I said I would have been happy if Eka Darville, the guy who played her junkie neighbor, had said to her, "Oh, and by the way, my real name's not Malcolm--it's Danny Rand!" That would have made me happy as shit. For some reason, he really pulled off how I think Danny Rand should be played, although his character could not have been more dissimilar.

• Like 2

Something tells me JCVD never pulls out.

I'm not even sorry.

That reminded me of a joke I read about CM Punk.

"What does CM Punk's UFC career and Catholic birth control have in common? The guy keeps pulling out".

@ Smigg: On top of all that, on the Definitive Guide to Frank Dux, which takes a balanced but somewhat skeptical look at Ducky, has made a lot of the claim that in five years, Dux he won 329 sanctioned fight in a row.

Even multiple MMA world champions aren’t coming in and winning 300+ fights in a row. Take Fedor Emelianenko. He went undefeated for nine years until he was famously stopped by Fabricio Werdum in 2010. He had 29 fights. Wanderlei Silva was unbeaten in four years and had 16 fights. Georges St. Pierre won ten championship matches in a row. And here’s Frank Dux with a record of 329-0-0, all in tournament fights, over just five years.

http://fightstate.co...e-to-frank-dux/

• Like 2

(I would like to say--as an avowed Iron Fist fan--I'm not disappointed with the casting, but then again, I wouldn't have really cared what race he was as long as the show is good. So far, as far as I'm concerned, Netflix has been batting .1000, so I'm willing to trust that they know what they're doing. That being said, do you know what I wish had happened? Continuity be damned (and this for one of my top five characters), but after watching Jessica Jones, I said I would have been happy if Eka Darville, the guy who played her junkie neighbor, had said to her, "Oh, and by the way, my real name's not Malcolm--it's Danny Rand!" That would have made me happy as shit. For some reason, he really pulled off how I think Danny Rand should be played, although his character could not have been more dissimilar.

I think they had a lose/lose situation there. People were going to be mad no matter what. Personally I was praying for a Steven Yeun casting because I thought he would have killed it too, plus they could have easily made it not a stereotype.

SPEAKING OF NETFLIX THEY JUST ANNOUNCED A MS. MARVEL SHOW AND I AM LOSING MY SHIT CAUSE KAMALA KHAN IS THE BEST

• Like 2

SPEAKING OF NETFLIX THEY JUST ANNOUNCED A MS. MARVEL SHOW AND I AM LOSING MY SHIT CAUSE KAMALA KHAN IS THE BEST

Whaaaaaaaaaat? So we get BOTH Carol Danvers (movie) and Kamala Khan (Netflix series)?! That's pretty amazing!

• Like 2

I think they had a lose/lose situation there. People were going to be mad no matter what. Personally I was praying for a Steven Yeun casting because I thought he would have killed it too, plus they could have easily made it not a stereotype.

Very true about the lose/lose situation. If you make him white, then it's appropriation; if you make him Asian, then it's stereotyping. Honestly, I'm just happy to be living at a time where Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Misty Knight, Colleen Wing, and apparently, Shang-Chi are going to be in anything. They could all be Muppets for all I care.

That was some breaking news you had there! I had to look it up for myself. Holy Shit, motherfucking MOON KNIGHT, too! This is totally rad!

• Like 2

@ Smigg: On top of all that, on the Definitive Guide to Frank Dux, which takes a balanced but somewhat skeptical look at Ducky, has made a lot of the claim that in five years, Dux he won 329 sanctioned fight in a row.

http://fightstate.co...e-to-frank-dux/

Well, he comes up with a reason for that, in an interview I'm gonna post when I find it again. He said that a lot of them amounted to nothing more than glorified Toughman fights in somebody's back yard. Untrained guys who were just turning up, not knowing how to fight.

He's acting as if this world renowned martial arts tournaments had what was essentially Pro Wrestling 'Jobber' matches. Barry Horowitz in the Kumite! Although, there is a precedent there, because PRIDE would fill out their Grand Prix tournaments with Pro Wrestlers, guys who were physically tough, and knew how to throw a fight somewhat realistically.

You know what happens when a legit guy throws a fight? Check out Stefan Leko vs. Naoya Ogawa during the 2004 PRIDE Heavyweight Grand Prix.

http://youtu.be/WWKWA38hUSc?t=50s

Stefan Leko takes a punch, then remembers "Ah shit, I'm supposed to go down", and flops on the floor, completely unnaturally. Nothing was ever made official, however, PRIDE have fixed fights on a number of occasion, and Ogawa was the top babyface in DSE's (the company that also owned PRIDE at the time) pro-wrestling company HUSTLE, so they needed to promote HUSTLE through PRIDE, so they had Leko throw the fight to Ogawa, and then in the next round, he has a 'fight' with the guy he's in a Pro-Wrestling feud with, Giant Silva.

As for the Dux's record, Rickson Gracie claims a '400-1 record... although the loss doesn't count, because I didn't know the rules, so I'm really 400-0". Rickson's dad, Helio Gracie came out and said "That record's exaggerated, he'd count rolling with some white belt kid as a win".

Another thing I haven't seen brought up is just how fast Tanaka says "That's enough".

Whaaaaaaaaaat? So we get BOTH Carol Danvers (movie) and Kamala Khan (Netflix series)?! That's pretty amazing!

That was some breaking news you had there! I had to look it up for myself. Holy Shit, motherfucking MOON KNIGHT, too! This is totally rad!

Wait... I think the article I read was an April Fool's joke from last year that's getting passed around again for this coming April 1st...

Fuck the internet -__-

• Like 3