🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 132 - Bloodsport: LIVE!

Wait... I think the article I read was an April Fool's joke from last year that's getting passed around again for this coming April 1st...

Fuck the internet -__-

I was about to come back and ask you for a source because I couldn't find anything about it.

Don't listen to tayloranne, everyone! She's a big phony!

• Like 2

Don't listen to tayloranne, everyone! She's a big phony!

duh.gif

TaylorAnne's cruel campaign of disinformation will prove ruinous to the continued harmony of these forums. I call for a vote for her immediate and unceremonious removal before her unholy chicanery and mischief leads us all into anarchy.

• Like 2

TaylorAnne's cruel campaign of disinformation will prove ruinous to the continued harmony of these forums. I call for a vote for her immediate and unceremonious removal before her unholy chicanery and mischief leads us all into anarchy.

Predicted response from taylorannephoto:

tumblr_nhb5qn2aMN1qk08n1o1_500.gif

• Like 4

Wait... I think the article I read was an April Fool's joke from last year that's getting passed around again for this coming April 1st...

Fuck the internet -__-

I feel you! Like so much!

I had something similar happen a couple days ago in the youtube comments (I know, I know, You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy... blah blah) someone asked what something meant, but asked it like "What that meen?" and I've witnessed typos and what not get attacked by grammarian assholes only for them to respond "Sorry English isn't my first language." I also have an Egyptian friend that I chat with over facebook who I'm helping as he learns English, so I sort of feel for people who mess up a little but are trying so hard. So I (mistakenly as it turns out) assumed this was one of those individuals and started my comment with "I assume English isn't your first language?" then went into explaining what they wanted explained.

The vitriol I received from people telling me how much of an asshole I was being to this poor person, etc. etc. and to make matters worse, the person replied, with atrocious grammar, stating that English was their first language.

I was just all "But...But..."

tumblr_m5mdvdQslB1rxodpio1_400.gif

• Like 2

Oh man, this episode was GREAT. After a verrrrry long day I was listening to the episode on my way home and I found myself dying of laughter in the grocery store over the guy doing the splits (I should know better than to listen to HDTGM in public after the many many times I have scared strangers). There was definitely a tiny part of me that wanted it to be fake because the thought of a coordinated effort to trick the listeners into thinking an audience member was taking off his pants and performing gymnastic feats on stage just struck me as so funny. Though the fact that it actually happened-- and that video -- are actually much better.

In the flashback, did young Dux look like, way older and taller than all the other kids? I think that just exacerbated the weirdness of the acting and kind of made him seem like a possible actual giant instead of just a fan of giants in general.

• Like 2

OMG!! Is no one going to bring up the fact that if he had been in the USA since childhood, his accent would be gone by adulthood??!!??!

• Like 5

Very late to the party, but I just want to agree with everybody that this was one of the all-time best episodes, and Nicole was a fantastic guest.

• Like 5

OMG!! Is no one going to bring up the fact that if he had been in the USA since childhood, his accent would be gone by adulthood??!!??!

But, it's like, a really thick accent...

• Like 5

• Like 2

Best. Episode. EVER! I had to re-wind numerous times to go back and laugh again at the greatness. I was sorry June was not there, but did she watch the movie? I don't think she likes men's butts, so she probably wouldn't like this one! (or was it men's chests she didn't like?)

Loved the mention of Joust by Jason, and Dig Dug by Paul. You can play a perfect version of Joust/Dig Dug if you Google 'MAME' (Multi Arcade Machine Emulator). Speaking of which, you should do the podcast from The Museum of Pinball in Banning, CA. (http://www.museumofpinball.org/) You could play Joust, Dig Dug and Streetfighter (and show June exactly what a Streetfighter is) Do a video game movie and make it a theme night! I suggest Double Dragon, 1994 (8% on Rotten Tomatoes) Tekken 2, 2014 (7%), Prince of Persia, 2010 (36%) Street Fighter, the Legend of Chun Li, 2009 (6%) or any Resident Evil movie, they seem to hover in the 35% range. Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

...you should do the podcast from The Museum of Pinball in Banning, CA. (http://www.museumofpinball.org/) You could play Joust, Dig Dug and Streetfighter (and show June exactly what a Streetfighter is) Do a video game movie and make it a theme night!

I kind of love that idea.

Prince of Persia, 2010 (36%)

or any Resident Evil movie, they seem to hover in the 35% range.

Yes and Yes!

• Like 1

Also, don't know if this has already been mentioned but there is sort of a Lady Bloodsport already, called Raze. It stars Zoe Bell and a bunch of other female stunt women in a death tournament scenario run by rich elites for their entertainment. The fights are brutal and really beautifully choreographed and it's on Netflix last I checked.

• Like 1

Lars Ulrich has been in the US for over 35 years and still has a Danish accent. So it's not out of the realm of possibility.

• Like 1

Have Nicole on often! She was hilarious. I think this is going to be one of the best of the year. I really wish we could have had June's input though. There would have been an amazing Kumite theory!

When Dux escapes, what does he do after he leaves the building with the shower? He's still on a military base which presumably has security on and within its perimeter. Not only does he manage to evade them, but the officers that tried and failed to arrest him are matter-of-fact about him having done so.

Just throwing out this extended version of Fight to Survive to boost Jason's workouts:

A little sad we didn't get round 2 of "What is a street fighter" as I feel this movie and master of the flying guillotine both influenced Street Fighter II and Mortal Kombat.

This was a really great episode. Quick Correction: "Lady Bloodsport" was actually renamed "Lady Bloodfight" and released in November 2015. I believe it was released direct to video/download.

Official site seems to indicate it's still in post though?

http://www.voltagepictures.com/details.aspx?ProjectId=3995fc72-0a97-e211-b3c9-d4ae527c3b65

They oughta get Nicole back and do an episode about Lady Bloodfight.

• Like 1

Lars Ulrich has been in the US for over 35 years and still has a Danish accent. So it's not out of the realm of possibility.

That's true, although Lars Ulrich is a bit weird. We have quite a few Danish people in the UK and they speak such good English that even if they come here as adults they're not only fluent, they pick up the regional accent where they live.

That's true, although Lars Ulrich is a bit weird. We have quite a few Danish people in the UK and they speak such good English that even if they come here as adults they're not only fluent, they pick up the regional accent where they live.

He also moved to the US when he was 17. He's probably lost some of his accent the longer he's been here, but it likely won't ever be totally gone. Generally, the younger you move to an area, the more likely you are to speak with the local accent. It does vary from person to person (and from accent to accent: UK to US is easier than, say, a native Chinese speaker developing an American accent because there aren't any new sounds to learn and internalize), but generally, around puberty is when people's accents become less malleable.

• Like 2

I have a Scandinavian coworker (who speaks great English) who says her accent would be less pronounced if she spoke with more of a British accent as opposed to an American one, because they learn British English. Of course it's still not their native language, but it's possible that for some non-English speaking Europeans, UK accents are easier to pick up because it's basically how they're taught to speak English and maybe feels more natural, whereas US ones are like, an accent on top of an accent, if that makes any sense.

I'm SURE this is a very very sweeping generalization and I should say I was born and raised in the US, so this is totally hypothesis and I am sorry if I'm wrong.

• Like 2

I have a Scandinavian coworker (who speaks great English) who says her accent would be less pronounced if she spoke with more of a British accent as opposed to an American one, because they learn British English. Of course it's still not their native language, but it's possible that for some non-English speaking Europeans, UK accents are easier to pick up because it's basically how they're taught to speak English and maybe feels more natural, whereas US ones are like, an accent on top of an accent, if that makes any sense.

I'm SURE this is a very very sweeping generalization and I should say I was born and raised in the US, so this is totally hypothesis and I am sorry if I'm wrong.

That sounds right. There's a lot more links between English and Scandinavian languages than you'd think as well

Here you go, Michael Schiavello interviewing Frank Dux

Predicted response from taylorannephoto:

tumblr_nhb5qn2aMN1qk08n1o1_500.gif

First of all, get the fuck out of my head Dan

Secondly, actually because of Fister I was gonna post this

0.jpg

• Like 5

So does that mean that Arnold Schwarzenegger is going to have an American accent when he hits 70?