🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 132.5 - Minisode 132.5

Paul answers your questions about Wrestlemania, Maximum Overdrive, and aRyan Seacrest action movie as he goes through the Voicemails of the Week. Send your own voicemail question for Paul to answer by calling 619-PAUL ASK. If you loved Bloodsport you will definitely love our next HDTGM movie selection as it was directed by Van-Damme himself. Paul also goes through Corrections and Omissions for Bloodsport this week as well as another bonus follow up for Sleepaway Camp. Plus, Fan Creations returns and Paul shares a special song during Paul’s Pick of the Week. Don’t forget to check out Blake Harris’ Oral History of Bloodsport over at www.slashfilm.com! Get yourself a BB-8 “What Is Its Mission?” T-shirt or Tote Bag over at http://howdidthisgetmade.bigcartel.com/ Set your DVRs for Party Over Here, a new FOX sketch comedy show from The Lonely Island and Paul starring Nicole Byer, Jessica McKenna, and Alison Rich. It airs Saturdays at 11 pm. People of the internet: Watch Paul in Fresh off the Boat on ABC. Awhile ago, Paul and Rob Huebel did a comedy special on a 60 foot glass bus that traveled around LA. Now you’ll be able to see it. Go to https://itun.es/us/3M4J9 now to buy it! You can also see Jason in Transparent on Amazon! Also, check out June in Grace and Frankie available on Netflix, and in all the episodes of NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU for free, and Jason in The Dictator (he’s still in it!).

Wow, lately the episodes have been up on a Wednesday, so to see the minisode up so soon is a treat! And to have another Van Damme movie before the other live show from this month? Crazy.

The next movie reveal really threw me. I was waiting for Paul to explain how Can't Stop the Music was just like Bloodsport.

• Like 4

Wow, lately the episodes have been up on a Wednesday, so to see the minisode up so soon is a treat! And to have another Van Damme movie before the other live show from this month? Crazy.

I think they've been playing a bit of catch-up to get back on track after missing a few weeks a short while ago.

Paul: Thanks for pronouncing my name just like my Freshman Spanish Teacher!

I think they've been playing a bit of catch-up to get back on track after missing a few weeks a short while ago.

Paul: Thanks for pronouncing my name just like my Freshman Spanish Teacher!

Yeah, they've been coming out the Wednesday or Thursday following the Friday they would normally be scheduled. They haven't gone any weeks without putting something out, but they've been really, really late. I think they get in a weird position when they're late because if they release the new episode too early after a minisode, they don't give people time to watch the movie. And if they release a minisode too soon after a full episode, they might have to stretch content to fill the minisode.

Either way, I was super pumped when I was this was out this morning.

The next movie reveal really threw me. I was waiting for Paul to explain how Can't Stop the Music was just like Bloodsport.

Same. It's been a few years since I saw Can't Stop the Music, but I was like, "Paul, where are you going with this?"

I'm really pumped for The Quest. Normally, I wouldn't be so excited about them doing two movies that are so similar back to back, but this will be a studio ep, which is always a treat. I just hope June is there because I really missed her this week because I needed someone to comment on stuff like Janice's hair:

bloodsport.jpg

• Like 3

I wonder if they're trying to bank a couple episodes like they did with June's first pregnancy... If I remember correctly, Mr. Nanny came out months after they recorded that show to cover the period when they were going to be out.

I could be wrong, though....I'm probably wrong...I'm always wrong.

• Like 2

I loved Stick in season 1. Scott Glenn is one of my favorite character actors (and one of my others, Clancy Brown, showed up this season!), and I thought he was one of the best parts of the first season.

I haven't finished the season yet (I think I'm on ep 9 or something; I've been catching up on movies for the DLM Challenge, so I haven't had time to watch any more), but his first appearance was pretty "meh." I've heard he's back again later in the season, so I guess I'll see how I feel when he comes back. But so far, Elektra would suck with or without him; she's just a snoozefest.

I didn't mind him in season 1, but he still kinda got on my nerves. Daredevil comics were never on my radar so I'm not sure if he was actually this much of an asshole in them. Idk maybe it's just cause every time he comes in I feel this negativity emitting from him towards Matt and I'm usually on Matt's side about things (usually... this season he was a real dumbo and it was hard to root for him). But Scott Glenn is an excellent actor and I love the representation of more blind characters.

This is all my own opinion on things but I feel that Elektra was just getting going when Stick came in and kinda halted her own character development. I loved seeing her interact with Matt and just the confidence that she portrayed really brought me in.

I liked Stick, just fine. Which is to say, I don't think he's supposed to be "likeable," and Scott Glenn does a good job being that insufferable, nuisance.

As for Elektra, I liked her as well. I like how they contrasted his relationship with her and Karen Page. Elektra being that ex that everyone has--where the sex was great, and there was certainly a lot of passion, but that same passion leads to a lot of drama; and Karen, the new girlfriend--representing a more mature love, based on genuine affection, that suffers due to lingering feelings about the aforementioned ex.

I think where the Elektra storyline suffers was that it just didn't equal the stronger Frank Castle stuff, and watching Matt literally ignore that plotline so he could be involved in some weird mystical ninja subplot was kind of frustrating. It wasn't that it was bad, just that they set us up to really care about what was going on with Castle and then abruptly changed focus.

I should also say, I have no strong feelings about Elektra (or even Daredevil for that matter), so if she was mischaracterized at all, it didn't bother me. I thought her story was interesting, it just came at the wrong time--both for the characters (which makes for good drama), and the audience (which makes for a frustrating viewing).

• Like 2

I liked Stick, just fine. Which is to say, I don't think he's supposed to be "likeable," and Scott Glenn does a good job being that insufferable, nuisance.

As for Elektra, I liked her as well. I like how they contrasted his relationship with her and Karen Page. Elektra being that ex that everyone has--where the sex was great, and there was certainly a lot of passion, but that same passion leads to a lot of drama; and Karen, the new girlfriend--representing a more mature love, based on genuine affection, that suffers due to lingering feelings about the aforementioned ex.

I think where the Elektra storyline suffers was that it just didn't equal the stronger Frank Castle stuff, and watching Matt literally ignore that plotline so he could be involved in some weird mystical ninja subplot was kind of frustrating. It wasn't that it was bad, just that they set us up to really care about what was going on with Castle, and then abruptly changed focus.

Also, I should also say, I have no strong feelings about Elektra (or even Daredevil for that matter), so if she was mischaracterized at all, it didn't bother me. I thought her story was interesting, it just came at the wrong time--both for the characters (which makes for good drama), and the audience (which makes for a frustrating viewing).

Daaaamn Cameron, back at it again with the well written views!

I couldn't agree more with all of that. I get that Stick isn't supposed to be likable but I guess for my own viewing he is unlikable to the point where my mind wonders to other things while he's on screen doing whatever the hell it is he does in Monticello.

• Like 2

Daaaamn Cameron, back at it again with the well written views!

I couldn't agree more with all of that. I get that Stick isn't supposed to be likable but I guess for my own viewing he is unlikable to the point where my mind wonders to other things while he's on screen doing whatever the hell it is he does in Monticello.

tumblr_inline_o3zotdZKB71qgga3f_500.gif

• Like 1

I know we said we wouldn't really talk about Hamilton anymore but as soon as I wrote that I couldn't help but say it in beat with Lin-Manuel so I had to add the Monticello part ahahaha.

Anyway I wanted to expand just a bit why I think Elektra's character development was actually halted despite getting her backstory and other stuff that I think still might be spoiler-y for those who haven't finished so I'll put the rest under a spoiler cut.

Until Stick came in her story was her own and her interaction/history with Matt was exciting. Watching her hack into Roxxon on her own was brilliant and I loved that she could always be aware that Matt was near and listening in. But once Stick did come in everything she had been doing was now because Stick needed it done and not on her own accord. Stick rescued and trained her, Stick led her to Matt, and Stick was "the chosen one" that had to defeat The Hand with his soldiers by his side. So everything I loved about her at the beginning was now just because of this dude who I already didn't really like. Then when they go after The Hand and we find out that she is the Black Sky it felt like just a ploy to have her be more interesting and a plot device. It almost felt as bad as when Jane Foster was used as a plot device in Thor 2. I say almost because they still tried to give Elektra the proper feelings of "yes this makes sense to me because I love killing and blah blah blah" even though we only see her kill like 3 people and she claims that she loves it but every time we see it we see her just giving the same speech that Frank did three episodes prior. So I have to agree with Cameron that if Frank's part of the story had not come first then I think Elektra's plot would have been way more of a heavy hitter.

I probably said all that before but *shrugs* I'm in the mood to talk about her lol.

• Like 1

ok, im late with these but for those counting the total time watching the movies and listening to the eps and mini eps is now over 17 full days.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fNUxhVbJf9FOIHnE1yorJj383JS51T0cjF6XsaE8tA4/edit?usp=sharing

also, bloodsport is now the most profitable (worldwide and in % terms) hdtgm movie over taking sleepaway camp:

cost $2 million

made $65000000

profit 3150%

figures from wikipedia so they are probably wrong https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodsport_%28film%29

I know we said we wouldn't really talk about Hamilton anymore but as soon as I wrote that I couldn't help but say it in beat with Lin-Manuel so I had to add the Monticello part ahahaha.

Anyway I wanted to expand just a bit why I think Elektra's character development was actually halted despite getting her backstory and other stuff that I think still might be spoiler-y for those who haven't finished so I'll put the rest under a spoiler cut.

Until Stick came in her story was her own and her interaction/history with Matt was exciting. Watching her hack into Roxxon on her own was brilliant and I loved that she could always be aware that Matt was near and listening in. But once Stick did come in everything she had been doing was now because Stick needed it done and not on her own accord. Stick rescued and trained her, Stick led her to Matt, and Stick was "the chosen one" that had to defeat The Hand with his soldiers by his side. So everything I loved about her at the beginning was now just because of this dude who I already didn't really like. Then when they go after The Hand and we find out that she is the Black Sky it felt like just a ploy to have her be more interesting and a plot device. It almost felt as bad as when Jane Foster was used as a plot device in Thor 2. I say almost because they still tried to give Elektra the proper feelings of "yes this makes sense to me because I love killing and blah blah blah" even though we only see her kill like 3 people and she claims that she loves it but every time we see it we see her just giving the same speech that Frank did three episodes prior. So I have to agree with Cameron that if Frank's part of the story had not come first then I think Elektra's plot would have been way more of a heavy hitter.

I probably said all that before but *shrugs* I'm in the mood to talk about her lol.

I get everything you're saying, but...

I think Elektra's introduction,and the subsequent revelation that she's a "tool" of Stick's, is deliberate, and in my opinion, quite interesting. Basically, when we meet her, Elektra is this free-spirited socialite who appears to have all of the world at her fingertips. However, we come to find out, that this woman that appears to have all this autonomy, is actually trapped--not only to Stick, but to her feelings for Matt. Again, this contrasts with Karen, who is portrayed as down on her luck and frightened--the everywoman set adrift to play second fiddle in a man's world--but it is Karen, not Elektra, who comes off as more self-reliant, resourceful, confident, and heroic. Even so far as for her to make the justifiable decision (despite her feelings for him) to leave Matt, while Elektra seems almost desperate to have him back. I believe what they were trying to do is subvert the SFC archetype that implies that, just because she can gut a ninja with a sai (that old chestnut), she must be "strong." The "strong" woman is actually Karen, who goes above and beyond to help Castle--even surpassing the skill of Foggy and Matt. During the course of the show, it's Karen who shows the most agency. Without prodding from others, she breaks free from Nelson and Murdock and is then free to embark on her own journey.

I think this is all important as it relates to Stick.

Elektra's journey, in contrast, is going from being a pawn in another man's game to being the queen of her own. This is why there's such a push at the end for her to think for herself. That there is no destiny. She can be her own person despite what "The Man" tells her. Don't just put on the mask of independence, be independent. It is also why it's important that when Matt leaves her to save the kidnapped people, she makes the decision to help them/him on her own. Yes, he encourages her throughout the show, but ultimately, he leaves it up to her. So when what happens to her happens, she is able to do so on her own terms.

Hopefully, that all made sense...let me know what you think.

• Like 1

I think Elektra's introduction,and the subsequent revelation that she's a "tool" of Stick's, is deliberate, and in my opinion, quite interesting. Basically, when we meet her, Elektra is this free-spirited socialite who appears to have all of the world at her fingertips. However, we come to find out, that this woman that appears to have all this autonomy, is actually trapped--not only to Stick, but to her feelings for Matt. Again, this contrasts with Karen, who is portrayed as down on her luck and frightened--the everywoman set adrift to play second fiddle in a man's world--but it is Karen, not Elektra, who comes off as more self-reliant, resourceful, confident, and heroic. Even so far as for her to make the justifiable decision (despite her feelings for him) to leave Matt, while Elektra seems almost desperate to have him back. I believe what they were trying to do is subvert the SFC archetype that implies that, just because she can gut a ninja with a sai (that old chestnut), she must be "strong." The "strong" woman is actually Karen, who goes above and beyond to help Castle--even surpassing the skill of Foggy and Matt. During the course of the show, it's Karen who shows the most agency. Without prodding from others, she breaks free from Nelson and Murdock and is then free to embark on her own journey.

Elektra's journey, in contrast, is going from being a pawn in another man's game to being the queen of her own. This is why there's such a push at the end for her to think for herself. That there is no destiny. She can be her own person despite what "The Man" tells her. Don't just put on the mask of independence, be independent. It is also why it's important that when Matt leaves her to save the kidnapped people, she makes the decision to help them/him on her own. Yes, he encourages her throughout the show, but ultimately, he leaves it up to her. So when she dies, she is able to do so on her own terms.

Whoooops. I should have known better than to read that. But you marked it spoiler, so it's my own damn fault :)

• Like 1

Whoooops. I should have known better than to read that. But you marked it spoiler, so it's my own damn fault :)

Ahhhh...yeah. If it makes you feel any better, I frequently lie--even in spoiler tags.

ETA: I edited that last sentence to be a little more vague, just in case anyone else does the same thing. I'm sorry, man. I know I tried to hide it, but I still feel bad.

Elektra's journey, in contrast, is going from being a pawn in another man's game to being the queen of her own. This is why there's such a push at the end for her to think for herself. That there is no destiny. She can be her own person despite what "The Man" tells her. Don't just put on the mask of independence, be independent. It is also why it's important that when Matt leaves her to save the kidnapped people, she makes the decision to help them/him on her own. Yes, he encourages her throughout the show, but ultimately, he leaves it up to her. So when she dies, she is able to do so on her own terms.

That does make a lot of sense.

And I think you're so right in that they are going against that SFC stereotype which I so appreciate, however, when it comes to Elektra I still felt that what they did with her character at the end was maybe just a bit rushed for my tastes. Maybe it was a fault of Elodie's acting, or it could have been a fault of the writing, or shit it could have been my own fault for watching it in the wrong mindset.

She really does show very well how much she needs Matt in her life and I think you actually just opened my eyes to a parallel I didn't even notice before with her and Karen, so kudos to you lol.

I think I need to watch the series again and really pay attention to her character more because I still think I might have been clouded by my love for Frank and my dislike for Stick. I believe that you're very right about the deliberate nature of the story telling so I want to keep that in mind as well while I re-watch.

• Like 1

ETA: I edited that last sentence to be a little more vague, just in case anyone else does the same thing. I'm sorry, man. I know I tried to hide it, but I still feel bad.

It's totally fine, dude. If I really cared that much, 1) I would have finished the season by now, and 2) I wouldn't click things that clearly say spoilers. I did so at my risk :)

• Like 1

That does make a lot of sense.

And I think you're so right in that they are going against that SFC stereotype which I so appreciate, however, when it comes to Elektra I still felt that what they did with her character at the end was maybe just a bit rushed for my tastes. Maybe it was a fault of Elodie's acting, or it could have been a fault of the writing, or shit it could have been my own fault for watching it in the wrong mindset.

She really does show very well how much she needs Matt in her life and I think you actually just opened my eyes to a parallel I didn't even notice before with her and Karen, so kudos to you lol.

I think I need to watch the series again and really pay attention to her character more because I still think I might have been clouded by my love for Frank and my dislike for Stick. I believe that you're very right about the deliberate nature of the story telling so I want to keep that in mind as well while I re-watch.

Thanks! I don't think you missed anything necessarily. I kind of wish Elektra either had her own season, or at least, was introduced earlier. It seems like they were really pushing for the Punisher thing to work, and just counted on the Elektra stuff to sort itself out. And, to be honest, the only reason I really started to notice the comparisons was during the episode with Matt's date with Karen. That whole episode was intercut with a bunch of flashbacks to his and Elektra's relationship. It just sort of stood out to me like, "Pay attention to this. We're trying to say something here." Whether they succeeded or not, or whether I got the wrong impression, is kind of up in the air.

It was also the episode where he told Karen my favorite line, "I like cheap stuff."

Oh Matt, you old smoothie you!

• Like 1

I liked the part about Dux having a shellfish allergy and being 'afraid' to try beef with oyster sauce, as if that's just a fear to be overcome, and not akin to sticking your dick in the mouth of a fish with sharp teeth because the lips look soft.

Thanks! I don't think you missed anything necessarily. I kind of wish Elektra either had her own season, or at least, was introduced earlier. It seems like they were really pushing for the Punisher thing to work, and just counted on the Elektra stuff to sort itself out. And, to be honest, the only reason I really started to notice the comparisons was during the episode with Matt's date with Karen. That whole episode was intercut with a bunch of flashbacks to his and Elektra's relationship. It just sort of stood out to me like, "Pay attention to this. We're trying to say something here." Whether they succeeded or not, or whether I got the wrong impression, is kind of up in the air.

It was also the episode where he told Karen my favorite line, "I like cheap stuff."

Oh Matt, you old smoothie you!

Now that you mention it I did totally notice that parallel just in different ways.

Cause that favorite line of yours comes back later when Elektra drinks the wine at his place and goes, "Blech cheap wine," and of course as a viewer you go, "Ohoho I see what they did there."

But yes that's probably it exactly. She needed her own season. Did they think she wouldn't be able to handle it on her own? That's lame as fuuuuck if that's true. Cause if they really had more time devoted to just her story I feel I would be singing a different song here. It's not even like I dislike her, but I did want more. Which I'm glad we'll clearly get.

The more I think about it the more I'm convinced Frank's story line really really hindered hers. Or the fact that they were so very separate. There was a lot going on this season, and maybe if they had been more connected then that would have helped as well.

• Like 1

I think where the Elektra storyline suffers was that it just didn't equal the stronger Frank Castle stuff, and watching Matt literally ignore that plotline so he could be involved in some weird mystical ninja subplot was kind of frustrating. It wasn't that it was bad, just that they set us up to really care about what was going on with Castle and then abruptly changed focus.

I should also say, I have no strong feelings about Elektra (or even Daredevil for that matter), so if she was mischaracterized at all, it didn't bother me. I thought her story was interesting, it just came at the wrong time--both for the characters (which makes for good drama), and the audience (which makes for a frustrating viewing).

Karen brings her own drama into the relationship though because her heart is basically stapled to her sleeve. Also it seemed like she was too quick to give up on the relationship with Matt without actually standing firm and asking what was going on, like she did later in the season when they were over. When she walked in and saw Stick and Matt while Elektra was in Matt's bed nursing her wounds, she didn't stop and ask "what's up," she just immediately assumed the worst and left. For all she knows, it could have been Matt helping a injured or sick friend or friend of a friend with concern to Stick. Then you have Castle calling her out with the "Want them to hurt you" speech which was amazing. I definitely feel that the next season is going towards the "Born Again" storyline which would be very interesting.

• Like 1

Now that you mention it I did totally notice that parallel just in different ways.

Cause that favorite line of yours comes back later when Elektra drinks the wine at his place and goes, "Blech cheap wine," and of course as a viewer you go, "Ohoho I see what they did there."

But yes that's probably it exactly. She needed her own season. Did they think she wouldn't be able to handle it on her own? That's lame as fuuuuck if that's true. Cause if they really had more time devoted to just her story I feel I would be singing a different song here. It's not even like I dislike her, but I did want more. Which I'm glad we'll clearly get.

The more I think about it the more I'm convinced Frank's story line really really hindered hers. Or the fact that they were so very separate. There was a lot going on this season, and maybe if they had been more connected then that would have helped as well.

I'm with you 100%. I guess they felt like since The Punisher has three failed movies and Elektra only has two, he should be the priority...It just seems to me that The Punisher is at least a little more well known than Elektra, so maybe her story deserved a little bit more fleshing out. As I said before, I'm not a huge Elektra fan, so I had no idea what they were talking about with the whole "Black Sky" thing. It just seemed really confusing. Who are these people? Why are they warring? Why do I care? Frank's story was so personal and grounded, it was very easy to relate to it. Her's brought in this whole idea of mysticism that was just kind of glossed over like, "It's a coffin that resurrects you. People don't need to know any more than that..."

I also agree that I wish the stories had been more intertwined. As we've both stated before, Frank's story absolutely distracts from Elektra's story, literally and figuratively. Also, as I've said before, I really wanted Frank to be Matt's secret weapon. I seem to remember a lot of scenes toward the end where Matt would say, "We're going to need help..." and the scene would cut. I kept expecting him to meet with Castle and pleading with him to help them. Kind of like, The Punisher would be the last thing The Hand would expect. And while he does show up at the end, there's really no reason why he should be there. He just appears out of nowhere and shoots a couple of people at just the right moment--although, conveniently, a little too late, too. Maybe he got wind of it from a police scanner...It just felt oddly out of place to me. I feel like they could have set it up better.

Good call on the Elektra "wine" line. I missed that one, but you're right!

ETA: I'm really sorry to anyone who has been catching my posts at the wrong time. I've been having issues closing my spoiler tag properly lately. Every time, I post I'm like, "FUCK! I gotta hide that shit!"

I'll do better in the future. I've just been scatterbrained recently.

• Like 1

I'm with you 100%. I guess they felt like since The Punisher has three failed movies and Elektra only has two, he should be the priority...It just seems to me that The Punisher is at least a little more well known than Elektra, so maybe her story deserved a little bit more fleshing out. As I said before, I'm not a huge Elektra fan, so I had no idea what they were talking about with the whole "Black Sky" thing. It just seemed really confusing. Who are these people? Why are they warring? Why do I care? Frank's story was so personal and grounded, it was very easy to relate to it. Her's brought in this whole idea of mysticism that was just kind of glossed over like, "It's a coffin that resurrects you. People don't need to know any more than that..."

I also agree that I wish the stories had been more intertwined. As we've both stated before, Frank's story absolutely distracts from Elektra's story, literally and figuratively. Also, as I've said before, I really wanted Frank to be Matt's secret weapon. I seem to remember a lot of scenes toward the end where Matt would say, "We're going to need help..." and the scene would cut. I kept expecting him to meet with Castle and pleading with him to help them. Kind of like, The Punisher would be the last thing The Hand would expect. And while he does show up at the end, there's really no reason why he should be there. He just appears out of nowhere and shoots a couple of people at just the right moment--although, conveniently, a little too late, too. Maybe he got wind of it from a police scanner...It just felt oddly out of place to me. I feel like they could have set it up better.

Good call on the Elektra "wine" line. I missed that one, but you're right!

I think from this point forward we are gonna be doing one long "YES!" with each other lololol. Cause I agree with you 100% as well!

So I'm just post this video to properly say how much I like that post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYEIHL6W2kE

• Like 2

Karen brings her own drama into the relationship though because her heart is basically stapled to her sleeve. Also it seemed like she was too quick to give up on the relationship with Matt without actually standing firm and asking what was going on, like she did later in the season when they were over. When she walked in and saw Stick and Matt while Elektra was in Matt's bed nursing her wounds, she didn't stop and ask "what's up," she just immediately assumed the worst and left. For all she knows, it could have been Matt helping a injured or sick friend or friend of a friend with concern to Stick. Then you have Castle calling her out with the "Want them to hurt you" speech which was amazing. I definitely feel that the next season is going towards the "Born Again" storyline which would be very interesting.

Yeah, Karen's assumption in that scene was pretty weak. Yes, a woman is in his bed, but there's also an old guy she's never seen before just hanging out. Does she just think Matt likes old people to watch him fuck random women? For all she knows, it might have been a relative...

I realize I'm kind of putting Karen on a pedestal, but trust me, she does a lot this season that really annoyed me. In some ways, much more than Elektra. And I still can't get over that

dumb article! We've been waiting for it for episodes, and that's what we get? I may have said this before, but I do get it. I've been writing for years, and sometimes you're like, "Okay, this person has to say something really inspiring or really wise" and you just blank. So while you think of what you really want to say, you write a placeholder that sort of conveys the feeling, but doesn't really come off the way you want it to. It's like they left the placeholder junk in. So, in the end, for all the superb writing on the show, they give us, "What is it, to be a Hero?" Jesus Fuck.

• Like 1

Yeah, Karen's assumption in that scene was pretty weak. Yes, a woman is in his bed, but there's also an old guy she's never seen before just hanging out. Does she just think Matt likes old people to watch him fuck random women? For all she knows, it might have been a relative...

I realize I'm kind of putting Karen on a pedestal, but trust me, she does a lot this season that really annoyed me. In some ways, much more than Elektra. And I still can't get over that

dumb article! We've been waiting for it for episodes, and that's what we get? I may have said this before, but I do get it. I've been writing for years, and sometimes you're like, "Okay, this person has to say something really inspiring or really wise" and you just blank. So while you think of what you really want to say, you write a placeholder that sort of conveys the feeling, but doesn't really come off the way you want it to. It's like they left the placeholder junk in. So, in the end, for all the superb writing on the show, they give us, "What is it, to be a Hero?" Jesus Fuck.

Yeah what Karen did at the end of the season was tantamount to Time's person of the year being "you" with the cover being a reflective sheet or in the first Spider-Man the crowd of New Yorkers throwing shit off the Brooklyn Bridge to distract Green Goblin because New Yorkers are tough, it just came off as cheap pandering though after the events of 9/11. I can get why Foggy was mad because Matt basically hung him out to dry on the Punisher issue, but Karen was just a wreck this entire season, and for what,

because she shot and killed the Kingpin's second-in-command in self defense last season?

After watching this season I wished that Matt had started a relationship with Rosario Dawson's character who, especially after her appearances on Jessica Jones and this season, seems to really have her head on straight in regards to how she gets shit done.

• Like 1