🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
PatrickGaertner

Suggestion: Psycho vs. Halloween

I think it would be really interesting to look at these two movies, which I feel kind of jump-started the idea of a Slasher movie. Both feature knife-wielding serial killer that investigates their psychology more than something like Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street.

I feel like these movies are oddly comparable and could create a pretty great debate between Amy and Devin.

• Like 3

No, simply because I don't want to choose between them. Seriously, this would make for a great episode. If I were to change anything, though, I might choose a movie that is closer to a traditional slasher, such as The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, which is another selection I would hate having to make.

• Like 2

I would agree that Texas Chainsaw should replace Pyscho. Do they look at these suggestions?

I also think that Psycho could either be its own, or maybe have it face off against Peeping Tom. that'd be great.

• Like 1

Since they're inspired by the same guy, why not PSYCHO v TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE: DAWN OF ED GEIN?

(Please don't make me choose between HALLOWEEN & PSYCHO, I've not recovered from FLY vs THING yet)

• Like 1

That's actually a really good suggestion, TKFopp. I vote we do that and give Halloween its own episode.

Halloween vs Friday the 13th would of been a better vote. more or less the same movie.

This would be a total blowout. They're the same movie because Friday was an explicit ripoff

• Like 1

Yeah I feel like there's no way Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street deserve to be in the Canon.

I hadn't really thought of Texas Chainsaw Massacre, although I feel like if it was paired with either Psycho or Halloween it would lose without a chance. I know Psycho vs Halloween is a tough choice, but I feel like that's what the versus episodes should be.

Yeah I feel like there's no way Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street deserve to be in the Canon.

I hadn't really thought of Texas Chainsaw Massacre, although I feel like if it was paired with either Psycho or Halloween it would lose without a chance.

Nightmare totally does though. Completely changed the game.

Texas might lose to Psycho, but itd totally hold its own against Halloween imo. I think its gotten more and more respect among cinephiles as time has gone on, and the fact its a straight up slasher that preceded Halloween (like Black Christmas, also canon) could certainly give it an edge. Also, Carpenters real masterpiece is already in the canon

Yeah I feel like there's no way ... Nightmare on Elm Street deserve to be in the Canon.

Blasphemy! It and Halloween are easily two of the greatest horror films ever made. If nothing else, it's cultural impact alone gives it a spot in the canon.

First off, A Nightmare on Elm Street is canon-worthy. Don't a troll.

Second, I think Black Christmas vs. Halloween makes a little more sense, seeing as they're sort of the major films that jump start the slasher genre.

Third, practically any of these films against each other is cruel. So, naturally, it has to happen. I'm definitely in favor of Psycho vs. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and even Halloween vs. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre has a little more symmetry--seeing as they're both low-budget horror flicks that have influence going strong today.

Fourth, I think it'd be really cool to get something like Trick 'r' Treat in the conversation, because it might be the best direct-to-video horror film ever. Maybe do it with another anthology, if any are worthy?

I suppose I just don't have a big enough appreciation for most slasher movies. They were never my thing. So I always lumped most of them in a different category than something like Halloween. I guess I didn't realize people thought of Nightmare on Elm street as canon worthy. And honestly I don't think I've seen Texas Chainsaw Massacre since like middle school, and wasn't a fan of it then, I should probably check it out again to see what I think of it now.

Texas might lose to Psycho, but itd totally hold its own against Halloween imo. I think its gotten more and more respect among cinephiles as time has gone on

Yeah, I've noticed the same thing. Sorta like The Thing or Evil Dead 2, critical consensus seems to have (rightfully) settled on 'horror masterpiece'. And if it were Texas vs Psycho, I feel most would feel obligated to vote the latter... I mean c'mon, we're talking Hitchcock here! TCM and Halloween seem more the same wavelength; I'm not even sure which way I'd vote.

First off, A Nightmare on Elm Street is canon-worthy. Don't a troll.

The cheesiness of the sequels may have overshadowed how great the first Nightmare is. Agreed, it's totally Canon-worthy.

not to veer this discussion off the rails, but in terms of a sequel to Nightmare on Elm Street, I've always thought the 3rd film, Dream Warriors was pretty decent.

not to veer this discussion off the rails, but in terms of a sequel to Nightmare on Elm Street, I've always thought the 3rd film, Dream Warriors was pretty decent.

New Nightmare is obviously tops. I wish i liked Nightmare 2 more than i do, it is fucking insane that that was the DIRECT sequel. Its the kind of movie that would be expected to happen 7 movies into a series but nope

• Like 1

New Nightmare is obviously tops. I wish i liked Nightmare 2 more than i do, it is fucking insane that that was the DIRECT sequel. Its the kind of movie that would be expected to happen 7 movies into a series but nope

I watched A New Nightmare only recently and loved it! I would love to hear that versus Scream. In my opinion New Nightmare is better but Scream was such a bigger hit and had the greater cultural impact.

Scream was the last slasher that actually mattered. possibly for worse

I don't know, if it's strictly a slasher film, but what about Saw? I think the first one is a bit underappreciated.

Sign in to follow this