🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JosephGreen

suggestion: Ran vs. Throne of Blood

I feel like a lot of Kurosawa films belong in the canon, but I just think it'd be really cool to face off his two Shakespeare adaptations.

I'm not too big on pitting the same director's films against each other, though I do like the idea of pitting different adaptions of the same Shakespeare play in a Versus episode though. Say, Throne of Blood vs Polanksi's MacBeth (or maybe Welles' version). That could be really interesting, seeing two takes by distinctive filmmakers from different cultural backgrounds on the same non-film source material (and not just a remake of a notable existing film version, like Spike Lee's Oldboy for a recent example.)

• Like 2

I do like the idea of pitting different adaptions of the same Shakespeare play in a Versus episode though.

Othello v. Omkara (Hindi version of Othello)

I'd love to see one of his non-Samurai films discussed first. High and Low or Ikiru. That said, any excuse to revisit Kurosawa would be great.

• Like 1

"HIgh and Low" would definitely make for a great episode.

I'm with the above in desperately wanting to see some Kurosawa. He's my very favorite filmmaker, and I think he's been unfortunately claimed by snobs. I'd love for him to get some Canon exposure. I think High and Low, Stray Dog, or Yojimbo would be great choices. They're really good, they're not the obvious choices, and they're all accessible while really showing off what Kurosawa could do.

As for Ran and Throne of Blood, I think that's a great idea but maybe not the best choice for the first Kurosawa discussion. However there should be a Shakespeare episode either way, and either would be a fantastic submission. What I've read on B.M.D. leads me to believe that Devin loves his Shakespeare movies.

Sign in to follow this