🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 4 - The Most Amazing Destruction

An aspiring voice actor talks about using jokes to help with the hard times, and explains how she frames success. Plus she asks Chris the most important question he has ever faced: if you were to be eaten by an animal of your choice, which one would it be?

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed this episode. I think the whole breaking-the-anonymous move may have set a bad precedent, however. I was a part of Night Time Foam Corner (Julia's group) for awhile before my feed became overrun with their posts causing me to leave. While I don't doubt the authenticity of her appearance here, I do know that she is already fairly deep into the earwolf/podcasting world. She has worked closely with some big names and is only a degree of separation from Gethard (I would say it is very possible they've even been in the same room at some point).

What worries me is that this podcast will turn into a source of unsolicited auditions/plugs for prospective comics and podcasters. Since callers have to be close followers of Gethard (and, in turn, comedy), there is a good chance many of them are trying to break into the industry. Had she remained anonymous, I would have walked away thinking this was an incredible interview. But the fact that this became a plug made me wonder if there was an agenda to her calling. Gethard invited it, but she seemed to enjoy dropping hints and was all to eager to out herself. No criticism intended towards Julia. Showbiz is ruthless and why not get your name out there anyway you can?

Had I not known it was Julia, I'd have walked away with an entirely different impression of this episode. But attaching a name to her story (and especially a name I am familiar with) took a lot away from it. It seems like Gethard has a bunch of episodes in the can at this point, but if/when he opens the phone lines again, I would not be surprised to see people exploiting the opportunity to be on an Earwolf podcast with him. Though, I would like to hear Stephen Rannazzisi call in and regale us with his 9-11 stories.

Ultimately, don't listen to me.

• Like 2

I think people underestimate how horrible it would be to be eaten by an animal. With a whale, you'd probably drown, which seems like one of the worst (semi-normal) ways to die, and if you didn't, then what, you'd slowly be dissolved by digestive acids? Give me a lion or something where it would just bite or claw my jugular and end it quickly.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed this episode. I think the whole breaking-the-anonymous move may have set a bad precedent, however. I was a part of Night Time Foam Corner (Julia's group) for awhile before my feed became overrun with their posts causing me to leave. While I don't doubt the authenticity of her appearance here, I do know that she is already fairly deep into the earwolf/podcasting world. She has worked closely with some big names and is only a degree of separation from Gethard (I would say it is very possible they've even been in the same room at some point).

What worries me is that this podcast will turn into a source of unsolicited auditions/plugs for prospective comics and podcasters. Since callers have to be close followers of Gethard (and, in turn, comedy), there is a good chance many of them are trying to break into the industry. Had she remained anonymous, I would have walked away thinking this was an incredible interview. But the fact that this became a plug made me wonder if there was an agenda to her calling. Gethard invited it, but she seemed to enjoy dropping hints and was all to eager to out herself. No criticism intended towards Julia. Showbiz is ruthless and why not get your name out there anyway you can?

Had I not known it was Julia, I'd have walked away with an entirely different impression of this episode. But attaching a name to her story (and especially a name I am familiar with) took a lot away from it. It seems like Gethard has a bunch of episodes in the can at this point, but if/when he opens the phone lines again, I would not be surprised to see people exploiting the opportunity to be on an Earwolf podcast with him. Though, I would like to hear Stephen Rannazzisi call in and regale us with his 9-11 stories.

To be fair, the callers are self-selecting.

• Like 1

To be fair, the callers are self-selecting.

Uh. That's exactly his point.

• Like 1

From behind the control room glass, I can only add that the callers are truly random, and that none of us in the room had any idea who she was. It's important to everyone working on the show that we keep the wheel of fortune turning, caller-wise.

Thanks, btw, for all the love and great comments since launch! It's been a huge pleasure to work with Chris on this show, and to see it so well-received you all.

• Like 5

Yeah, I am not trying to call conspiracy here or anything. The randomness is the beauty of it, but the random pool is actually a pretty small population of Gethard/Earwolf fans. I've really enjoyed every episode so far, but I could see it becoming annoying (on your end) to filter through the people who will use this as a means to gain attention or promote themselves.

Just to be fair, I've NEVER met Gethard before. I only told all of that stuff because I thought it was anonymous. I've worked with some names before because I am tenacious as hell. You can think whatever you like about it. It's not a publicity stunt. I had no idea he was going to do that. I'm glad he did. I do feel special, but I think you're right about people taking advantage of it. Take what you want from it. I know it's all real. That's all I can say. Trust me, I really wish some of what I've gone through didn't happen, and I tried to make it fun and light when I called. Sorry you left the foam. It's fucking amazing now :)

• Like 8

If people start promoting themselves on the show then Gethard can just, you know, not post the episode, pretty simple. People surely understand it's not the place for plugs (this isn't a dig at you Julia, the plug part of this ep was natural and a great ending), and Gethard isn't going to invite them to lift the anonymity for anything less than an extraordinary story.

Awesome episode, keep em coming baby!

Oh yeah, and another thing I want to add is that it's really refreshing to hear interviews with people who aren't super successful, I think we just aren't exposed to in depth, real conversations with normal people enough, it's easy to exist in a bit of bubble, especially for a guy like me who's bad at small talk and isn't going to get anywhere near this level of emotional depth with most of the people I meet (and most people I meet are from a similar-ish background to me anyway.). It's a cool idea Gethard, and you're the ideal host probably. So yeah, keep it up y'all.

• Like 4

If people start promoting themselves on the show then Gethard can just, you know, not post the episode, pretty simple.

I also think everyone would be fine if he breaks the "I can't hang up on you" rule if he sniffs this out, just to save a bunch of time (his and the staff's). Ultimately, I'm sure Chris will have no problem policing this if it becomes an issue.

• Like 2

Just to be fair, I've NEVER met Gethard before. I only told all of that stuff because I thought it was anonymous. I've worked with some names before because I am tenacious as hell. You can think whatever you like about it. It's not a publicity stunt. I had no idea he was going to do that. I'm glad he did. I do feel special, but I think you're right about people taking advantage of it. Take what you want from it. I know it's all real. That's all I can say. Trust me, I really wish some of what I've gone through didn't happen, and I tried to make it fun and light when I called. Sorry you left the foam. It's fucking amazing now :)

I tried to make it clear in my posts that this was not a dig at you, or a doubting of your authenticity. I appreciate your bravery, and you'd be a fool not to get the plug in. I just really enjoy the show (this episode included!) and would be worried if this caused a pattern in the type of callers Gethard gets. Yes, he can not use the calls as the above poster mentioned, but it is not like the guy has an infinite amount of time to weed out those taking advantage of the format.

Foam Corner was fun, but social media groups tend to stress me out. Glad to hear you're doing well, though. I did a quick google following this ep and it looks like you've got a sweet gig. Hope to hear you on something soon as an official guest, plugs 'n' all.

• Like 1

And believe it or not, I was actually pre Foam Corner back when it was a fairly small group. Can't remember the original name. It was changing often for awhile there. It was kind of funny, the second you said you had a shout out to your facebook group of podcast lovers I knew exactly who it was before you even said the name.

I am curious just how hard the foamies freaked out after this was released.

And believe it or not, I was actually pre Foam Corner back when it was a fairly small group. Can't remember the original name. It was changing often for awhile there. It was kind of funny, the second you said you had a shout out to your facebook group of podcast lovers I knew exactly who it was before you even said the name.

I am curious just how hard the foamies freaked out after this was released.

I've never promoted the Night Time Foam Corner here, other than in my signature. Since it was brought up on the show and in this thread I'll address it now.

As an OG and current member of the group I can say we love and support all in our group, especially our founder Julia. I'd like to invite everyone to check it out. It's a secret group so send a friend request on Facebook to myself or Julia and we'll add you to the group.

There are about 1000 of us in the group now and we mostly talk about podcasts, both past, classics/ favorites and current/ new shows. It's a great place to hear about new shows you might not have heard of yet.

I've internet-met a lot of new friends there. People set up pre-show meet-ups all over the country/ world and a lot of real friendships have been made. Last year we helped raise over $400 for the Pistol Shrimps Radio charity of choice, Peaceplayers International.

Please join the Night-Time Foam Corner where we promote kindness and laughs. If you don't wanna be bombarded with posts just turn off notifications. If you wanna chat about podcasts, check it out.

Alright, sorry for the thread hi-jack. I promise not to do that again here.

• Like 4

Julia is the only person in 15-20 calls whose name I've asked. There's one other guy who plugs stuff pretty hard but it's all in the spirit of his super fascinating philosophies on the purpose of pop music (it's one of my favorites, should be out in a few weeks). I still don't even let him plug his stuff when it becomes easily google-able. I think the main thing to keep in mind with this convo is that if the rules ever get broken it's only because something is going to hit me so hard in the moment that it feels like the right thing to do is to ignore the arbitrarily installed rules and be more of an actual human being instead. Julia got there, but I don't anticipate this being a trend.

• Like 11

Even when I don't relate specifically (tho often I do), the conversations get me thinking about my own life, which is what the best pieces of art do. Impressive stuff. Thanks Chris!

• Like 5

A forum where disagreements are handled amicably by all parties involved? Only a Gethard vehicle could pull this off.

• Like 5

Sign in to follow this